Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002208 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6360 on: September 10, 2013, 05:11:55 pm »

Pretty sure blood pressure is higher than external pressure because that's how you get enough oxygen at a fast enough rate, but there is the idea of blood pressure evolving to keep out bacteria. :3

Pretty sure it's a wrong idea, but... I don't know what but, but but.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6361 on: September 10, 2013, 05:20:52 pm »

Hence why I'm looking at the situation with a thought of "well, yeah, what did you expect to happen after someone has a traumatic experience?" rather than "oh, that behavior is indicitive of a disorder".

I don't think you understand what that word means in this context.  "Not ordered" certainly is a definition of "disorder" but its the definition you would use to describe a messy room.  The definition of disorder used to describe things like PTSD has nothing to do with whether the disorder is expected.  If your family has a history of diabetes, for example, it wouldn't be a surprise if you got it, but it would still be a disorder.
Expectations is not that important. Either a messy room or Diabetes is something out of order, even if out of order is the norm. Order=\=normal.

Severity really is what makes it, (assuming no long-term physiological changes) and we can't define how severe things are. It's a inexact science.

For the record, that George Carlin quote was exactly what I was thinking of. Thank you for that.
Shell shock refers to the poor bastards who went mad in bunkers while under bombardment. After what could be days locked up in a confined place, with banging and explosions as the ground above you was pummeled, entirely aware of the fact you could be killed or gravely wounded by a particularly large shell gaining a direct hit on your bunker, it's no surprise some people couldn't take it.

Pretty sure blood pressure is higher than external pressure because that's how you get enough oxygen at a fast enough rate, but there is the idea of blood pressure evolving to keep out bacteria. :3

Pretty sure it's a wrong idea, but... I don't know what but, but but.
It's higher because it needs to be! Otherwise just leaning on something could cut off blood flow (basing this on absolutely nothing of course). But mostly getting okygen quickly. You breathe quickly, walk quickly (well, fairly fast), no wonder it pumps so hard!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6362 on: September 10, 2013, 05:24:29 pm »

For the record, that George Carlin quote was exactly what I was thinking of. Thank you for that.
Shell shock refers to the poor bastards who went mad in bunkers while under bombardment. After what could be days locked up in a confined place, with banging and explosions as the ground above you was pummeled, entirely aware of the fact you could be killed or gravely wounded by a particularly large shell gaining a direct hit on your bunker, it's no surprise some people couldn't take it.

Yes, and Carlin's piece on euphemistic language featured a diatribe about the progression from "shell shock" to PTSD.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6363 on: September 10, 2013, 05:34:27 pm »

you guys are missing the obvious rebuttal; losing a finger and bleeding through the wound may be a logical and predictable consequence from being cut with a knife, but that doesn't mean a wound is not a medical condition

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6364 on: September 10, 2013, 05:58:10 pm »

That doesn't mean losing a finger should be treated the same as losing an entire arm.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6365 on: September 10, 2013, 06:29:02 pm »

but that's beyond the scope of the comparission, it's original intent was to say pstd wasn't a disorder because it was a natural reaction, like bleeding when wounded

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: September 10, 2013, 06:37:28 pm »

Not quite, I think. The point as I took it was that it is normal for there to be mental trauma after experiencing something which is mentally traumatic, just as it is normal for there to be physical trauma after experiencing something which is physically traumatic. Going by the same example, PTSD is akin to a cut which festers and requires additional, more serious care to deal with. Being traumatized by something traumatic is not a disorder; having that trauma continue far past the point where it ordinarily begins to fade is, just as a cut which heals at the normal rate is not unusual (a physical disorder), while a cut which becomes badly infected is. There's a distinction to be made between "this event traumatized me" and "this event resulted in PTSD". I've had traumatic experiences (admittedly less so than some, and more due to my mental and emotional state as a child than anything else) that really fucked with my mind, fears, and perception of the world. I don't have PTSD.

The word trauma has now become totally meaningless jabbering to me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: September 10, 2013, 06:40:49 pm »

Not quite, I think. The point as I took it was that it is normal for there to be mental llama after experiencing something which is mentally llamatic, just as it is normal for there to be physical llama after experiencing something which is physically llamatic. Going by the same example, PLSD is akin to a cut which festers and requires additional, more serious care to deal with. Being llamatized by something llamatic is not a disorder; having that llama continue far past the point where it ordinarily begins to fade is, just as a cut which heals at the normal rate is not unusual (a physical disorder), while a cut which becomes badly infected is. There's a distinction to be made between "this event llamatized me" and "this event resulted in PLSD". I've had llamatic experiences (admittedly less so than some, and more due to my mental and emotional state as a child than anything else) that really fucked with my mind, fears, and perception of the world. I don't have PLSD.

The word llama has now become totally meaningless jabbering to me.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:56:25 pm by Descan »
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6368 on: September 10, 2013, 06:51:18 pm »

"Llamatic Experiences" should have been the subtitle for the Emperor's New Groove.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: September 10, 2013, 10:09:29 pm »

And then Descan was Maxis?

Descan stop being all those things are you not still a pastry of some sort I seem to remember this being a thing. Now you are also Maxis and probably a Llama.

So Descan is a Pastry Llama CEO of Video Games.

The fuck is wrong with my head.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6370 on: September 11, 2013, 12:02:40 am »

Nothing, Karne. It is glorious.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6371 on: September 11, 2013, 12:04:36 am »

How on Earth are you able to do all that and still have time to be a gay Canadian Viking?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6372 on: September 11, 2013, 12:10:04 am »

I have an extremely minute and complicated set of rules, the first of which you see displayed below my excellently crafted portrait.

* Descan spits, chews cud (do llamas chew cud? well now they do).

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6373 on: September 11, 2013, 01:10:01 am »

It's not the world's responsibility to shield people with mental sensitivity.
Neither is it anyone responsibility to be a decent person, but most at least try to.
The point being that just like no-one bands together and (intends to) go out and force people to be decent, no-one bands together and forces people to protect the mentally sensitive. We do have a band of people who protect from ragamuffinry and villainy, but having a police that forces people to be decent would be invasive.

Note: This is a semi-relevant topic for me, because the awesome aging-hippie-but-martial-arts-master-and-rugby-enthusiast World History teacher at my school was a Vietnam veteran, and he has some now-minor PTSD which is triggered by extremely-loud noises. My grandfather was also in Vietnam, but he was a helicopter (specifically, a Blackhawk) pilot, so I don't think that position would expose him to as many PTSD-inducing events, and that's not the sort of thing you want to ask about.

EDIT: said AHBMAMREWHT is awesome and cool to the two honors classes (I have one), but less nice to everyone else. I guess it's because history is designated by your hindbrain (along with English) as easy work that you can procrastinate until the last minute, even when it's not. Honors students have the exact same issue, but they're smart enough to fake passable work at the last second. This teacher's only natural enemy in the school, (they're friends, but they are both very passionate about their side of the political scale [one is a Venezuelan who came to (North) America when he was 17 and could not speak English, but who got a leg up in life because of the freedom in the US, and the other is a Vietnam vet whose eyes were opened to the fucked-uppedness of life in general after he came home], and they can get into some fantastic [and entertaining] fights about such things.) the police officer, is a martial arts master times ten. The AHBMAMetc. knows mainly judo and wrestling, but this police officer does it all. He also is a sensei at his own dojo (I used to study under him),  which also has a class dedicated to traditional martial arts weaponry usage (the real uses, not the TMNT uses) and is a former drug-ring-breaker-upper. Whenever he comes down to the cafeteria for lunch, he regales us with tales of his past career, such as the time he was picked for his unique combination of skills and looks to go under cover, and was targeted by a drive-by shooting. In one tale from his undercover period, he was, of course, pulled over by the police because he matched the description of one of the cartel's members. (YA THINK?) They got it sorted out eventually, though.

Sorry for all the brainspew, whenever I'm posting this late at night it's usually because my brain won't go to sleep and is still very active, if not organized.

On the subject of llama, llamar is the Spanish verb for to call (as in, what you call something). In Spanish, if you are learning practical Spanish, you never say "My/your/his name is XXX", you say "I call myself XXX". "Me llamo tahujdt", I call myself tahujdt. Llama, pronounced ya-ma, means he/she/it calls, or it could mean you(formal) call. "Se llama llama", he calls himself Llama.

Still llama-related, my dad told me this joke:
If a one-L Lama is a monk, and a two-L llama, what's a three-L llama? Note: this joke is only funny when told, not read.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DOUBLEEDIT:
Maybe some people want to be able to just read and relax on the internet without being forced to face their psychological problems constantly? I don't think that's asking for a ton.

I'd be willing to bet that even people who are dealing with their problems enjoy getting a break from it.
That kind of falls under the category of safe zone, if you are a grammar teacher who has PTSD or TPTSD(Tumblr Post-traumatic Stress Disorder) and freaks out over misspellings and grammar mistakes, then you want to stay away from 4chan.
Honestly, though, I think we're arguing about two different issues (or two different facets of the same one). To use Vector as an example, he gets uncomfortable around blonde Northern-Europeany people, so he probably should stay away from blondenotherneuropeanypeople.com (yes, I know that's hyperbole). What I'm saying is that yes, people with mental disabilities should be able to relax, but if you have a condition that's brought on by swearing or trolling, then the internet is probably not the right place for you. Even if it's something else, you should still exercise(sorry, there's my thin privilege again, don't want to offend people who were dogs in past lives) use caution anywhere on the internet.

Please note that the above is a massive babble and I may contradict any part or all of it tomorrow depending on my state of mind. (Not really, but I'm not too coherent right now)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 01:48:28 am by tahujdt »
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6374 on: September 11, 2013, 02:58:17 am »

kaaaaaaaaarne come write canon with me it'll be perfect
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 510