Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004418 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6585 on: October 04, 2013, 08:23:30 am »

Here in Georgia we have "rain please stop" x3 and spring.

I know right?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: October 04, 2013, 09:31:52 am »

We tend to have a very long winter, most of which is taken up with cold winds, rain and bare trees. On the occasions that it snows it tends to melt quickly, but not before all the grass turns brown, so it looks very desolate and harsh and depressing. The summer can often be quite hot (for us I mean, I got heatstroke when I last experienced a North American summer) but it only lasts for about 2 months before disappearing into a very short autumn. The autumns can be pretty here. More often than not though in September we experience a sudden blast of heat/pleasant weather before descending into a spiral of dark, cold days, bare trees and lots of rain by October or so.

It was always horrible going to school in the morning as a child in the dark, all the trees bare and slippy, wet dead leaves on the ground with freezing hands. In November or so.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:35:05 am by Owlbread »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: October 04, 2013, 11:32:49 am »

We have 3 basic 'seasons' in San Diego. Cold and Rainy, Blistering Hot, and Really Rather Nice. The first two occur in small doses, with CR usually showing up in winter and BH usually saving itself for September. But it varies a lot depending on the year.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: October 04, 2013, 11:59:27 am »

Brittany (Small Britain) is famous in France for its climate:
Rain.

But there is a proverb here saying "it's raining only on [insert insult]" (I don't think there's an english equivalent to the name we use. "douche" is pretty close).
It mostly shows a disdain for strangers regarding stereotypes too seriously. In all honesty it doesnt rain THAT much, albeit it's never really summer (except for two weeks in august), and most of the rain is really light, so after three months living here you go from "It wont stop raining! the ground never dries!" to "It pretty much never rain. That? Nooooo that's not rain, just wet air."
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: October 04, 2013, 12:00:26 pm »

Am I the only one here who lives in a place where winter is filled with snow storms and shinbone deep snow?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: October 04, 2013, 12:13:46 pm »

Brittany (Small Britain) is famous in France for its climate:
Rain.

But there is a proverb here saying "it's raining only on [insert insult]" (I don't think there's an english equivalent to the name we use. "douche" is pretty close).
It mostly shows a disdain for strangers regarding stereotypes too seriously. In all honesty it doesnt rain THAT much, albeit it's never really summer (except for two weeks in august), and most of the rain is really light, so after three months living here you go from "It wont stop raining! the ground never dries!" to "It pretty much never rain. That? Nooooo that's not rain, just wet air."
I can see where the name comes from. Here in Northern England, when a poncy southerner comes up and moans about the rain, there's usually a number of people wandering about in shorts and sandals. Me included.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: October 04, 2013, 12:25:13 pm »

Occasionally, we get storms with greenish-black clouds and purple lightning. That's when you know shit's about to get REAL.

We also get hurricanes, better known as IT'S RAINING SIDEWAYS!

Incidentally, our reactions to inclement weather may vary:

Hurricanes (anything below a Category 3):

Forecast of 1 inch of snow:

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: October 04, 2013, 12:31:58 pm »

We have 3 basic 'seasons' in San Diego. Cold and Rainy, Blistering Hot, and Really Rather Nice. The first two occur in small doses, with CR usually showing up in winter and BH usually saving itself for September. But it varies a lot depending on the year.
Another San Diegan! That's cool.

Of course, cold is relative, meaning below 60.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: October 04, 2013, 12:33:46 pm »

Here we have winters that go as low as 10 degrees, summers that go as high as 35, and monsoon where there's maybe a day in a month that is sunny.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: October 04, 2013, 12:36:19 pm »

I do agree he was being a bit of a cunt though.
That's kind of standard for toddlers though. Being basically tiny sociopaths.
The Catholic Church actually recognizes that young children are evil little demon spawn from Hell can't tell right from wrong, which is why they set the age for starting active participation in the Church, primarily the Sacraments (i.e. Baptism, Reconciliation, etc.) and observance of the precepts of the Church (i.e. 'You shall observe the fasts and Days of Obligation of the Church', 'you shall receive the Holy Communion at least during the Easter Season', 'You shall confess your sins at least once a year', etc.) to be age seven.

The mom of a friend of mine is convinced that Steam games asking you what size monitor you have, how fast your processor is, and how fast your internet is means that they are collecting metadata to sell to Big Brother. I mean, they do sell metadata on what games you buy, but that doesn't really fit her definition because they would know what they sold you even if they never asked you anything or even if you never had to actually install anything.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: October 04, 2013, 12:46:45 pm »

Ah, you guys with your extreme seasonal weather differences. In Wales, it lightly rains. Always.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6596 on: October 04, 2013, 12:55:10 pm »

England of course is quite temperate, with a nice cold winter and light rains just about every day every week. Occasionally, storms. Over any body of water, storms, winds, freezing.
In Malaysia - monsoon season, I have never seen anything like it before.
Take one step out of shelter and one step in, you've just come out of a vertical ocean from the sky.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: October 04, 2013, 01:11:34 pm »

Am I the only one here who lives in a place where winter is filled with snow storms and shinbone deep snow?
Shin bone deep snow is a very mild winter in Michigan.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: October 04, 2013, 01:49:38 pm »

Also our winters are -20 to -30 degrees celsius, average. (-4 to -22 Fahrenheit, -20C is a good day)

Summer is 20C to 30C.(68F and 86F respectively)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 01:51:34 pm by vagel7 »
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: October 04, 2013, 01:53:39 pm »

Ah, you guys with your extreme seasonal weather differences. In Wales, it lightly rains. Always.

Wales is without a doubt the wettest place I have ever been to. It's lovely but my god you'd need to be wrung out in one of those mangle things.
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 510