Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004331 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #7065 on: October 22, 2013, 03:30:15 pm »

Owlbread, I'm not attacking you, it's just that argument in and of itself is... eh...

I eat meat. I do have respect for vegetarians, though.

Gentlemen please, you don't need to tiptoe around me by saying stuff like that. Attack me for god's sake, if I'm going to be choosing whether or not to eat meat I'd like my argument to be as sound as possible, and that improvement can only come through challenge.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7066 on: October 22, 2013, 03:39:51 pm »

Please don't, I'd much rather you went all out. This issue is one that I've often struggled to get my head around so it's very helpful if you can robustly challenge my views. If that means completely trashing me, chances are I need trashed. The main problem that I can see is that similar arguments can be made to justify things like being a murderer in a world of murderers. I just have this strong feeling inside though that we'll have stopped killing each-other before we stop slaughtering animals.

The issue is that this really, really isn't the thread for it. If you want to start a new thread for it we can discuss it there.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: October 22, 2013, 03:41:29 pm »

Attack me for god's sake

your mother was a hamster and your father smelted elderberries can't quote monty python completely now can we, the real one's far too overused

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: October 22, 2013, 03:42:28 pm »

The issue is that this really, really isn't the thread for it. If you want to start a new thread for it we can discuss it there.

I would but I have a feeling things could get ugly if the debate extends beyond our small group. I recommend that you PM me.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: October 22, 2013, 03:43:39 pm »

Owlbread, I'm not attacking you, it's just that argument in and of itself is... eh...

I eat meat. I do have respect for vegetarians, though.

Gentlemen please, you don't need to tiptoe around me by saying stuff like that. Attack me for god's sake, if I'm going to be choosing whether or not to eat meat I'd like my argument to be as sound as possible, and that improvement can only come through challenge.
[Southern hick accent]Aw hell no![/Southern hick accent]
Meat vs Veggie will just quickly degenerate into stating positions without caring to argue. Can't we do the political side?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7070 on: October 22, 2013, 03:46:14 pm »

That is my fear also. As I have said, I request that Greatorder and GlyphGryph send me PMs in which they systematically destroy the argument, allowing me to put it together again in a stronger form.

[Southern hick accent]Aw hell no![/Southern hick accent]
Meat vs Veggie will just quickly degenerate into stating positions without caring to argue. Can't we do the political side?

The political side is vastly preferable. My issue is that there are very few political parties or organizations that I would feel comfortable in supporting on this issue. PETA have the highest profile but they're daft as a brush.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:55:53 pm by Owlbread »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: October 22, 2013, 03:53:17 pm »

and your father smelted elderberries can't quote monty python completely now can we, the real one's far too overused
I didn't know that fruitbars were made that way.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7072 on: October 22, 2013, 03:58:11 pm »

and your father smelted elderberries can't quote monty python completely now can we, the real one's far too overused
I didn't know that fruitbars were made that way.

I think it was 'smelled of'. Unless that's on purpose.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: October 22, 2013, 04:02:10 pm »

Smelt of, yes. Yes, that is (at least one of) the past tense forms of smell. Smelled works, too, but I personally prefer smelt. It's a sharp, clean, word.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: October 22, 2013, 04:17:27 pm »

Thing is, I'm not. If I did, I'd be a little hypocritical, wouldn't I?

I eat meat. If I complained about YOU doing so...

You'd be challenging my argument, it's not necessarily about your opinions.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7075 on: October 22, 2013, 04:18:40 pm »

Smelt of, yes. Yes, that is (at least one of) the past tense forms of smell. Smelled works, too, but I personally prefer smelt. It's a sharp, clean, word.

I dislike 'smelt' because it introduces ambiguity. When you say 'he smelt elderberries' I imagine the guy taking large shovelfuls of berries and throwing them into a furnace to smelt the, uh, elderberrite, out of them.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7076 on: October 22, 2013, 04:24:27 pm »

This is english. Ambiguity is half the fun.

Smelt is also a fish! A smelt elderberry might be interesting. Maybe a smelt elderberry malt? That might just kill someone, hoho.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: October 22, 2013, 04:25:45 pm »

I tend to prefer burnt to burned.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7078 on: October 22, 2013, 04:26:39 pm »

Ambiguity is a wonderful thing in a language because it opens the doors for all sorts of punnery.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: October 22, 2013, 04:29:58 pm »

I tend to prefer burnt to burned.

Funny now that I think of it, I use both, for different things.

'Burnt' is like an overcooked, partially carbonized toast, incomplete oxidation, 'burned' is either a person who touched a hot frying pan (i.e. a temperature-inflicted wound), or something that is completely gone due to a fire, i.e. a house, a person in said house or charcoal in the furnace.
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 510