Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 452834 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #765 on: October 08, 2013, 03:56:13 am »

Oh man. Nobody told me I had to adopt western religion when I westernise, apparently my state is catholic now, and every province follows animist. On top of that my 70 year old ruler (seriously, that's pretty badass for living in a tribal society) died. So now I have reactionism to westernization, religious unrest all over and pretenders to the throne. Rebels, rebels everywhere!

Anyway uh question: I was trying to reform my government into a monarchy through a national decision, one of the criteria is having completed either an administrative, innovative or econmic idea. Despite having completed the exploration idea, the criteria remains unchecked and I haven't been able to reform even though I had met the rest of the criterion. What's up with that?

Also sorry for posting nonstop. I only ask because my google fu fails me on this matter.

Edit: My bad, thought it meant an administrative, diplomatic or military idea. Ugh, will be a while before I can get a monarchy going then.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 05:00:17 am by Jelle »

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: October 08, 2013, 04:16:29 am »

Exploration is neither the Innovative, Administrative nor Economic Idea.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #767 on: October 08, 2013, 04:58:35 am »

I have the firm belief France is a treacherous bastard of a cheater.
What gives?
How in the frigging hellish hell can they still manage to earn a win with their armies when I'm continuously stomping them down in the dust?
And Great Britain allying with France. That I did not foresee.

Well, time to use the brunt of the HRE reforms to my benefit. (I did become emperor of the HRE apparently, with the Carlo IV of Savoia)
Btw, Venice has a Savoia in charge too...I wonder if I can claim the throne even if they hate my guts? We're basically family!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 08, 2013, 06:47:14 am »

France has some great ideas, they have some good provinces, to top it off it will very likely get Lucky Nations if you have it on. If any nation is going to give you trouble in the game, chances are it's gonna be France unless everyone gangs up.

But on the bright side, at least they don't have Prussian ideas. Seriously, check the Prussian ideas. They are absurd.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: October 08, 2013, 08:24:38 am »

Hah, I'm playing Friesland now, and having lots of fun. I got all the cores and provinces I need for the Netherlands, just waiting to tech up. I'm kinda stuck otherwise: Austria owns Flanders, and the Hansa is allied with France... I may have to expand along the Rhine.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: October 08, 2013, 02:26:01 pm »

Need some assistance with matters of war. For the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those numbers are just absurd, how does this happen? I am fielding Longbow, Latin Knights and Houfnice. The enemy I think is fielding Condatta infantry, but I'm unsure (can I see information on their units somehow?)
I just can't figure out warfare. I'm sure it's glaringly obvious somehow, I don't understand a thing about these unit stats.

If you're interested, the war is the Maya and Inca alliance against the Castilia Portugal alliance, with me and Castille as leaders of the war. Portugal was moving against Inca, so I chose to honor my alliance and put a stop to it. Portugal was mostly assaulting me with endless white peace requests while I captured Carribean provinces uncontested, until that happened...

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #771 on: October 08, 2013, 02:32:13 pm »

You see Antonio de Meneses? He has Four 'pivots' on fire and Shock.
It means, plainly put, that he is god.
He rolls a dice, he adds four.
On the other hand, Tecunuman has zero on the 'fire' and two on the 'shock'.
Furthermore, I don't know about 'Nazca'.

Was it a mountain region? Were you attacking or defending?
Attacking a mountain region means that you get a -3 penalty, furthermore the 'range' is reduced, and depending on circumstances you do not get flanking bonuses...
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: October 08, 2013, 02:37:51 pm »

The enemy has a better leader.

And I highly doubt they had Condotta. You can look at enemy units during a battle, or just by looking at their military tech as they would most likely be using the best stuff available to them.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: October 08, 2013, 03:10:34 pm »

Yep, must've misread. They have Gustavian infantry and a tech of 20. Welp, good thing I kept a save from before I started the war. At least I know how to use the ledger now.

Nazca is aproximatly 55% desert 25% desert mauntain 12% mauntain and 8% coastline, I don't know if that's the relevant info. I'm pretty much oblivious to how terrain matters in battle, except that mauntains have restricted combat width so are bad for flanking?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: October 08, 2013, 04:32:41 pm »

Mountains are pretty great to get attacked on because, if they are triggered, the enemy suffers -3 to all combat rolls.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: October 08, 2013, 04:57:00 pm »

1) Don't attack mountains. Ever.
2) Don't attack hills.
3) The rest of the terrain doesn't really matter (although forests have a small effect on combat width, it isn't really that important)
Both mountains and hills have 2 effects. The first effect is that combat width (the number of max units that can fight at once) is lowered (by 66% and 33%). The second is that you get a -3/-2 penalty, which is HUGE.

This means that if you have a very large army you won't be able to use most of your troops, while at the same time you will take tons more and deal tons less damage.

So, while with a significantly better army you will often 'win' in the mountains, you will still lose far more troops even in victory.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 11:04:45 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #776 on: October 09, 2013, 02:14:24 am »

Playing as Japan again, united the country by the 1480's (not my best time, which I wasn't able to replicate with Uesugi in the last few games. I got something like 1455 for best time or something). Get ready to take Korea, have three provinces with fabricated claims, take the appropriate mission, make sure I've got enough boats... and then they ally Ming. Welp, not playing Ironman, so I figured I'd just see how it went. I send 30k troops over and a couple battles put an end to the Korean army. Then comes Ming with like a 30k doomstack against my ~25k. I manage to win defensively and their low morale causes them to retreat back into Ming territory.

I _really_ need reinforcements but I have no manpower left, so I recruit 8 mercenaries, load them up into my 40 navy stack and thankfully make it past a blockade to deposit them on the mainland. Some skirmishing happens, but eventually Ming returns with a 55k+ doomstack. I figure this is the end, it's 55k+ versus my ~25k. I manage to hold my ground and end up winning, by a lot. I took 6,600 casualties, they took around 16,000.

They'll be back, and I really need reinforcements because I got knocked down to 16k troops that'll have to face off against more doomstacks. I recruit more mercenaries, but Ming distributes it's 80-combined-total navy to blockade me. Even though those mercs are sucking up money, they contribute to how Ming feels about the war (comparative army sizes), so I don't disband them. My mainland army is by itself, holding up in Hwanghae while some smaller stacks take the peninsula. I get the provinces I cared about and then send all but one cap stack to reinforce my forward defense in Hwanghae. I have reinforced to around 23k when the Ming doomstack returns. It's roughly at 39k. I hoped that my defense worked again, and it did. In return for less than 4000 casualties, I inflict 15k. They are very demoralized, and I decide to chase them down and end them to ruin Ming's manpower while my single capstack sits and tries to take the rest of Korea.

I manage to Scooby Doo chase Ming's demoralized stack (while it constantly reinforces from new regiments it builds) when I realize that I have almost no hope of killing this thing if Ming just keeps throwing ridiculous amounts of troops at it. Korean patriots spawn back in my conquered territory, so I leave with 12k out of Ming to fight 8k rebels. I fear that I'm going to be squashed between those rebels and the growing doomstack I left behind (I lost vision of it when it got back to around 17k) when, just as my armies are leaving Ming territory, Manchu DoW's Ming and I see 20k of their troops head down behind me.

YES! Thank you Manchu! You're the best! I make it back to the Korean patriots, which were actually worse than any other force I fought and got my forces dangerously low. The doomstack finally makes it out of Ming and away from Manchu at around 20-25k or so. I have around 11k at this point with like 6 regiments of 0 troops. I disband them and I consolidate as much as is reasonable since I won't be getting any more troops, only reinforcements from manpower (consolidating is necessary for winning fights if you really have to win them). The only thing keeping me afloat, really, are those 8 merc regiments I was barely able to maneuver past the blockades because they reinforce by themselves. This fight was much more close to me losing, but I managed to win, and a Manchu 15k stack followed the Ming forces and was able to finish them off. I cap the rest of Korea while Ming is busy with Manchu. Manchu peaces out after capturing 3 territories by settling for ducats only. A 30k Ming stack is headed right towards my depleted forces when I cap the last Korean province and then settle for 3 provinces and some ducats.

Lots of luck, there. Ming will likely recover and be super scary, but I think I'll be able to get more of Korea or perhaps vassalize them if I can manage it.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: October 09, 2013, 12:49:56 pm »

Something tells me I won't be doing any continental Realpolitik in the foreseeable future o.O:

At least they're not colonizing :/

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: October 09, 2013, 01:08:13 pm »

Haha this stuff is surreal. Took me a moment to fully grasp this picture. Can't say this alternate history isn't interesting at least. :)

As for the context; Got into an alliance with Orleans (wich turned into the dominant nation in stead of France), figured it would be a good way to keep the Castilia at bay should they get any ideas. They got embroiled in a war with the low lands and then some, and I joined the conflict. I raised a considerable army and started messing up the Dutch colonies in North America, who were undefended, and declared war on the English and took some of their nearby colonies on the way. Orleans seized considerable territory in the peace negotiations due thanks to me wrecking Dutch colonial holdings I think.
Fast forward a decade and Orleans is again defending against a Flemish attack, now joined by Savoy who is the big player in Italy and around Provincia, and I decided to join the war in Europe itself. Cue the Maya marching into Flanders. Let's see where this goes!

Anyway just wanted to share that.

Something tells me I won't be doing any continental Realpolitik in the foreseeable future o.O:

At least they're not colonizing :/

Ahh how does this even happen, in my game the western european powers haven't amounted to much at all. It's nearing 18th century and I've yet to see such a huge force. The only western nation that is remotely powerful in my game is Castilia, whom I have been on good terms with thus far. No mighty Britain of France...

P.S If you're wondering about the lack of general on my army, it was the prince. Just as they landed on Europe he inherited the throne and apparently swam across the atlantic to the capitol.

Edit: Wooh another war, this time started by them. Seriously, it's not been a month since that last conflict, in wich I helped sink the massive Scottish fleet, and then got my ass handed to me by the papal state. This time it's England, I guess that's in my interest to at least.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:37:00 pm by Jelle »

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 09, 2013, 02:18:19 pm »

Well, 1.2 totally ruined any sort of blobbing fun. I took my PLC with Hungary integrated and some other conquests and went to india. Conquered about half of it. 700% overextension and fucking 1000 AE on several Indian survivors. Have like 35 revolt risk modified down to -28 with my bonuses.

Takes me 20 or more years to core stuff which I didn't realize when I attacked. The large nation scaling is just stupid. By the time I'm ready to gank the rest of India my coring time will be in the 50+ range and that means if I overextend even a little bit I'll have massive revolts for 50 years...

I've killed literally millions of rebels and they just keep coming. Culture changes take about 10-15 years although religion changes only take 6-12 months.

And honestly I wouldn't even care but revolt risk makes troop recruiting impossible due to random rebels popping up and taking years to recruit even infantry. So I can't just double my army size and place 20 guys per 3 of my lands and then keep conquering.

Its not like the rebels even have a chance, its just the game slows to a glacial crawl as I maneuver my armies around and search for wrong culture or uncored areas. Its not difficult just dull.

The coalitions don't even matter, I could just ignore them and break tons of truces except that my overextension makes stability boosting impossible. I am considering just playing on -3 stab since I 3 revolt risk doesn't mean shit on top of 35.

It would just be better to lower ridiculous coring speeds. I can't even run off and go colonize since that would take forever to core and then my conquest provinces would also get another 200 provinces worth of coring time extension once my colonies were done.

It would be nice if core time could just be capped at like 10 years.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 216