Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451497 times)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1185 on: May 03, 2014, 05:00:55 pm »

I'm playing as the Vandals in a mod that extends the timeline from Roman times to the very end of the 30th century. Right now I'm in third place in terms of troops, right beneath Parthia and the Romans. Frisia, the guys in fourth place who I'm allied with have declared a conquest war against another one of my allies. Should I support Frisia and take a -2 stability hit to maintain the stronger of the two alliances, or should I take the prestige hit and support my weaker allies? The former of the two options allows me to potentially vassalize the Goths, who've been a thorn in my side for a while now.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: May 03, 2014, 05:03:40 pm »

I'm playing as the Vandals in a mod that extends the timeline from Roman times to the very end of the 30th century. Right now I'm in third place in terms of troops, right beneath Parthia and the Romans. Frisia, the guys in fourth place who I'm allied with have declared a conquest war against another one of my allies. Should I support Frisia and take a -2 stability hit to maintain the stronger of the two alliances, or should I take the prestige hit and support my weaker allies? The former of the two options allows me to potentially vassalize the Goths, who've been a thorn in my side for a while now.

Could you give us the name of the mod?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: May 03, 2014, 05:05:01 pm »

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #1188 on: May 29, 2014, 05:10:17 pm »

A patch happened.

I haven't played EUIV in a while, was waiting for some fixes to the expansionism to make WCs possible.

That might have happened this last patch. Anyone played it and tried it out?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: May 29, 2014, 07:03:17 pm »

Not me, I'm still on 1.4something, but there's a nice thread filled with HAPPY PEOPLE who have.

There's also many, many other threads filled with HAPPY PEOPLE. I suggest you look at the rest of the EU4 forums here.

I hate to say it, but WC are going to probably be almost impossible now.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: May 29, 2014, 07:14:08 pm »

Sudden patch broke my modded game. Again.
Countless hours I put into it lost, like tears in the rain.
I'll never finish even a single games like this.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: May 29, 2014, 07:17:06 pm »

You can, in fact, revert to an earlier version.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: May 29, 2014, 07:18:53 pm »

Yep:

Right click on the game name on Steam>Properties>Betas and then select an old version.

It's how I've played 1.4.1 for what must be since 1.5.1 came out.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: May 30, 2014, 12:25:55 am »

Huh, I don't know why I bother with random lucky nations since France, Castille, Austria, and Ottomans seem to end up with it every time anyway.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: May 30, 2014, 01:07:33 am »

Huh, I don't know why I bother with random lucky nations since France, Castille, Austria, and Ottomans seem to end up with it every time anyway.

Well the random lucky nations prefer large nations of high tech groups.

Some highlights from my current 1.6 TO -> Prussia game
  • I've settled into a nice routine of someone launching a punitive war at me, me 'n Austria kick their arses, and I take a few provinces in the peace. Which then cause more AE, more people joining the coalition vs me and launching another punitive war at me. Something like 70% of the wars I've fought in have been defensive punitive wars.
  • I've never before gotten more mileage out of the admin idea group. At some points 80% of my military were mercs because I didn't have enough manpower to put down all the rebels.
  • At one point I was up to 13% inflation from loans alone! All these loans were used to buy mercs to put down revolts.
  • During the umpteenth Bohemian-Prussian punitive war I decided to give Austria a province in the peace. Within a month the province rebelled four times with a grand total of 70 regiments, making the Bohemian patriots the mightiest military force in the known world.
  • Its currently 1580 and the Ottomans have yet to conquer all of Greece (Athens is independent with three provinces.) because they do nothing but sit there putting down rebels. Though at least they finally managed to conquer Constantinople a few decades ago.
  • The only major powers other than me that has managed to expand much is Moscow, which hasn't formed Russia because of roving bands of Smolensk nationalists.
  • First time I've seen either Hungary or Austria go protestant let alone both. To top it off, Bohemia stayed catholic.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:13:35 am by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: May 30, 2014, 01:30:35 am »

Went back to this game, immediately became very frustrated again.

This time its because mercenaries use up forcelimits.  Like I'm only going to make that mistake once, and I think that one at least was in EU3 but... why?  Why does the size of my country and my army have any bearing on the cost of the mercenaries I hire?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: May 30, 2014, 01:50:42 am »

Because regardless of fictional fantasy novels, mercenary forces of any reasonable size were always integrated directly into the military forces of any realm. The military administration of that realm, including their supply lines, food, stationing areas/barracks and armourers were all used by historical mercenaries.

So yeah. Force limit.

While the rebellions sound like an annoying "feature" of the patch, I tend to think of it as a CK2->EU4 crossover. Yes, all your realm's nobles hate you, so butter them up or kick their arse. With armies and harsh treatment rather than assassinations/counties/intrigue this time. Actually, you can't be nice to the little upstarts in the proto-empirical age, so kick their arse. Still, seems like a weird "feature" in the patch.

I actually wonder if any EU IV players have ever bothered with a small, spread-out standing army at any other time than when at war or when there is a rebellion? It'll cost you in upkeep, but isn't rebellion risk linked to mobilized, yet stationed forces in some way? But it was easier as an all or nothing thing before (because rebellions were manageable as an on/off event on raising troops?)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 02:00:14 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: May 30, 2014, 02:04:23 am »

Rebels are a bit over the top in this new patch though. Annexed Benin as Portugal (wanted the estuary for my trade company), and it's still spawning more rebels per year than the biggest country's army, 40 years after their annexation (had to give up a lot of times to make them disappear, which made nationalism longer, so it's a vicious circle). There's 3 provinces, totaling 10 base tax, and it's spawning 20k stacks on a 2 base tax province (and they have my tech, canons, awesome generals as usual).

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: May 30, 2014, 02:16:31 am »

Because regardless of fictional fantasy novels, mercenary forces of any reasonable size were always integrated directly into the military forces of any realm. The military administration of that realm, including their supply lines, food, stationing areas/barracks and armourers were all used by historical mercenaries.

So yeah. Force limit.
What fantasy novels are you reading that feature mercenaries?  I've read quite a few and can't think of a single one where they had any notable relevance.  The best I got is a Fire Emblem game.  And a threat in a Discworld novel that was never realized.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: May 30, 2014, 02:25:02 am »

Yep:

Right click on the game name on Steam>Properties>Betas and then select an old version.

It's how I've played 1.4.1 for what must be since 1.5.1 came out.
You can, in fact, revert to an earlier version.
I need to try that. Thanks guys.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 216