Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451468 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1380 on: July 05, 2014, 12:55:32 pm »

Ok, this sounds obvious but did you manually update your units?  If you were still using tech 1 units that would explain it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: July 05, 2014, 08:07:27 pm »

Regardless. No matter what has been presented so far, no matter how I try to justify all the possible advantages they could of had, 2000 units a turn doesn't add up.... But that gave me an idea. Is there a way to measure how much an advantage would be needed for a 2000 unit a turn difference? Perhaps a way to calculate it in just unit pips or numbers?

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Land_warfare#Combat_sequence

Could have a gander at that, but it'd be a bit much, and some information may be out of date.

Just played a Makassar -> Malaya game, but found it a bit too slow. By ~1600 I had all of the spice islands colonized/conquered, as well as Australia, half of Japan, some valuable provinces eaten into Ming, and a chunk of Siberia colonized before Russia. The trick is to colonize the Philippines first, since they don't have that horrible tropical modifier, but I should've just started as Brunei. Think I'll try it again, but go for American colonies as well.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: July 06, 2014, 01:34:44 pm »

Ok, this sounds obvious but did you manually update your units?  If you were still using tech 1 units that would explain it.

Yes it's very obvious. Yes I did upgrade them.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: July 06, 2014, 02:41:32 pm »

I've just started a large fantasy mod for this. I'm still debating whether to use the real world (i.e. hobbits in germany, dwarves in greece, giants in scotland) or a generated world. Until I get it sorted out I'm going to work on cultures and religions. :)
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: July 06, 2014, 03:19:46 pm »

I'd keep the map just because it'd make the mod a lot easier both to create and to run as a player.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: July 06, 2014, 03:27:27 pm »

Its about the same difficulty for players to run regardless of what's in the mod, you pretty much say "drop this folder and .txt document into the mod folder".

But I can say from experience that modding the maps in one of these games is hard to do, much harder than messing around with events or modifiers or something.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: July 06, 2014, 03:40:22 pm »

You have to delete the map cache and the game has to recalculate distances between provinces actually, at least that's my experience with other paradox games.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: July 06, 2014, 03:54:32 pm »

That isn't true any more.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: July 06, 2014, 05:45:30 pm »

I do have problems getting mods to work sometimes, but we'll have to see. That isn't the hardest part of the whole process!

EnigmaticHat, I totally agree, which is why I would simply use a random map generator to give me a physical world I can bounce off. The modding is going quite well - here's an example of what I've done so far.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: July 07, 2014, 01:22:04 am »

You missed the "" around Dodgy.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: July 07, 2014, 02:36:36 am »

Friend told me that as well! XD As far as I can tell you only need the quotes to connect words with spaces in. If your word doesn't have any spaces, you don't require quotes (check the vanilla code to confirm this.)

Is the reason why in dynasty names Louis doesn't have quoted around it and "van Oranje" does.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:40:45 am by Wysthric »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: July 07, 2014, 06:22:58 am »

Ahah, it makes sense. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: July 07, 2014, 11:12:34 pm »

I'm playing as Japan, and have tried to dodge the colonization distance problem by sending my men along the coastline to try to capture the Aztec's territory or vassalize them or something. But when I get there and declare war on them (at the cost of 2 stability, no CB) I can't do anything. Their provinces aren't siegeable and I cannot even walk into their terra incognita even with a conquistador. Can I get an explanation as to what's going on?

Nvm, they ended up being in exile.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:15:20 pm by Micro102 »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: July 07, 2014, 11:18:50 pm »

Any units that are in foreign land (either ally or just access) will be exiled on war declaration. It's a rather infamous change of 1.6. Units will not be exiled if they're standing around in your own boats however.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: July 08, 2014, 04:53:25 pm »

Mod is going well, but damn if this ain't going to take a lot of work. :P

Where do you think the best place for the topic is - other games or creative projects? :)
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 216