Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451548 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1410 on: July 12, 2014, 03:44:52 pm »

That'd be ideal, but I'd settle for making the AI almost never colonize the provinces with 9000+ natives, especially considering it's ridiculous how the entire african coast is usually colonized by 1700.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 12, 2014, 07:11:44 pm »

I would still rather there be no "uncolonized" provinces, or at least have them very very few. Instead, I'd rather they use the EU3 horde-colonizing mechanics for natives, and let you colonize "primitive" countries. And then fill up the new world with countries. >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 15, 2014, 12:14:03 pm »

Res Publica/1.7 patch notes are up.

Paradox patented "what the fuck were they smoking?" change: Truce times now scale from 5 years (white peace) to a rather long 15 years at 100% warscore.
There also appears to be no change to how AE is calculated but that is currently overshadowed by the truce shitstorm.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 15, 2014, 12:19:41 pm »

Paradox patented "what the fuck were they smoking?" change: Truce times now scale from 5 years (white peace) to a rather long 15 years at 100% warscore.
There also appears to be no change to how AE is calculated but that is currently overshadowed by the truce shitstorm.

# Buildings
- Marketplace and Canal are now +2 trade power instead of +1.
- Customs House is now +10 trade power instead of +5, and also adds +2 trade value.

Confirmed: Paradox has no ability or willingness to balance changes. I'm going to just go with a lack of will.

Okay, no seriously
Centers of Trade now provide 100% more tradepower and naval forcelimit.

It's almost as if they're just making EU4 into 'Hansa/Dutch world conquer simulator 2014'.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:26:40 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 15, 2014, 12:36:39 pm »

Add to that all republics now have scaling republic tradition costs and I see no possible reason why you would never go trade republic. All hail Ragusa, conqueror of all that can be surveyed or traded. 

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 15, 2014, 12:46:44 pm »

At least we still have mods, because the EU4 team is going crazy.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 15, 2014, 01:22:42 pm »

Add to that all republics now have scaling republic tradition costs and I see no possible reason why you would never go trade republic. All hail Ragusa, conqueror of all that can be surveyed or traded. 

Pretty much. Especially now that you can vassalblob with republics.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 15, 2014, 01:26:12 pm »

So France has a base tax rate of around 161 (if you include vassals and English lands). At 100% warscore you can usually get around 20 base tax. With this you can figure out that France will take about 121 years to fully conquer (around 40 years before truce change) without breaking truce, that's around 32% of the whole grand campaign.

This is of course not factoring in possible growth/loss of French territory, better CBs or Administrative Efficiency. There's a very high chance that my maths is wrong since it's 4:25am here.

EDIT: I think I made a mistake calculating French basetax, 161 looks way too high.
DOUBLE EDIT: I got around 158 this time, France really is quite rich. What's even the point as playing such a monster? Jeeze.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:33:16 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: July 15, 2014, 01:30:35 pm »

With certain CBs I believe you can lower the cost to half for provinces. So under best circumstances with your number you'll be looking at a minimum 50-75 year conquest to annex Germany/France, with the best CBs and rivalry on top of it...

Yeah.. Actually Germany has a higher tax, so it'd be more like 100 years minimum to annex a united HRE completely, with the best CBs, with rivalry.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: July 15, 2014, 01:47:32 pm »

Was truce time at 5 years or 10 years before 1.7? If it was at 10 years it might actually be faster or the same speed to annex large countries. When going for large countries its somewhat poor play to go for 100% each war, much better to stop at 50-60 percent since you can get that just from destroying armies and ticking warscore, while you may need to occupy 20 more provinces than you can take to get a 100% deal. (Though I can't say I like this change.)

With certain CBs I believe you can lower the cost to half for provinces. So under best circumstances with your number you'll be looking at a minimum 50-75 year conquest to annex Germany/France, with the best CBs and rivalry on top of it...

Yeah.. Actually Germany has a higher tax, so it'd be more like 100 years minimum to annex a united HRE completely, with the best CBs, with rivalry.

Unless you have administrative efficiency. That at max combined with abusing coalitions and you could probably do that in like, a decade. Assuming you can handle the OE, of course.

# Buildings
- Marketplace and Canal are now +2 trade power instead of +1.
- Customs House is now +10 trade power instead of +5, and also adds +2 trade value.

Confirmed: Paradox has no ability or willingness to balance changes. I'm going to just go with a lack of will.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:50:19 pm by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: July 15, 2014, 01:51:18 pm »

Play the game and focus on trade. You might notice how easy it is.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: July 15, 2014, 01:53:42 pm »

Truces were always 5 years.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 15, 2014, 01:59:15 pm »

Truces were always 5 years.

Well, that sucks, guess coalition abuse or going somewhere else is the way to go.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 16, 2014, 01:09:37 am »

- IA no longer gained when princes convert to the Emperor's religion.

Is another big ridiculous one, suddenly no reason to fight the 30 years war. An example of Paradox using its rare cases of historical determinism... to mandate something that won't make sense in a lot of cases. Nice job making it necessary to use gamey tactics to gain IA just because players who tried specifically to do something for fun mostly succeeded with it.

Also my favorites:
- Capped tolerance towards heretics and heathens at +3.
Tolerance now useless for no perceivable reason.
Fixed an exploit where you could call the AI into wars you know they will dishonor in order to get a CB on them.
So long as the AI tells you it's not going to join your war before you manage to ask you can't do anything about it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:12:10 am by Rakonas »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 16, 2014, 01:43:15 am »

I think the unforeseen consequences of the truce change will mostly be nations only taking provinces in peace deals and all the other diplomatic options being abandoned. Why bother to take money or kill off alliances if it's just going to give you inflation or those alliances reform and finally also increases the truce cool down.

EDIT: Found this fantastic image on the Paradox forums that pretty sums up my experiences post 1.6.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:04:44 am by Catastrophic lolcats »
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 216