Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451482 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1635 on: October 13, 2014, 10:06:56 am »

Brandenburg, 1444. I decided to go France, but I'm open to any sweet elite tactics I could utilize against him. We literally just started the game.

It'll take him a long time to get the provinces needed to form Prussia. Most of the time Poland conquers Danzig and then the rest of the Teutonics within 20 years or so, and if that happens(likely as Brandenburg cant challenge Poland mano et mano) it'll take a long, long while for him to get those provinces. In the meanwhile, you can just ally Poland and annex the whole Western and Central Europe before the year 1700.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: October 13, 2014, 10:09:54 am »

Thing is, we're playing with 'lower aggressive expansion' mod. It cuts the relationship hit in half. And he is known for his warmongering - which bites him in the ass 20-50 years after the conquest, when he finds himself abandoned diplomatically and with rebels taking control over his nation.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: October 13, 2014, 10:13:59 am »

Thing is, we're playing with 'lower aggressive expansion' mod. It cuts the relationship hit in half. And he is known for his warmongering - which bites him in the ass 20-50 years after the conquest, when he finds himself abandoned diplomatically and with rebels taking control over his nation.

Well... Despite of lowered AE, its still difficult for him to expand. Hes small, within the HRE and suffers a lot from illegally holding provinces(unless he allies Austria) if he expands. At the same time, you are still FRANCE, the Big Blue Blob itself. By the time Prussia forms, if ever, you can be so huge that you need no allies of your own to win any war. Or even several simultaneously. Just forming the modern day France is enough to become the scoreboard leader and have an unbeatable army, as long as you dont fight Castile+Austria+Russia or similar combination without allies of your own.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: October 13, 2014, 10:16:57 am »

You're France, the Big Blue Blob, scourge of Europe, and he's a four-province minor.  I think that even with reduced AE, you have the advantage.  In fact, that just means that you can ramp up earlier; the AI on regular AE still tends to rip a bloody swath through the Holy Roman Empire.  Annex your vassals, align yourself with Poland and maybe a few of the larger HRE minors (Bohemia, say), block his expansion paths, and march your way to France's natural borders and beyond. 

NOT-AN-EDIT: And Erkki, I think, says it much better than me.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: October 13, 2014, 10:19:32 am »

Seems kinda dickish to pick France to counter Brandenburg in 1444.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: October 13, 2014, 10:29:39 am »

He said he's 'experienced in forming/playing Prussia' and he never objected to me choosing France. He will, though, scream and try to rip my eyes out in school after I win a war or two with him.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: October 13, 2014, 10:30:28 am »

Seems kinda dickish to pick France to counter Brandenburg in 1444.
Depends on if they're at the same skill level or not. Brandenburg could be a deliberate handicap.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: October 13, 2014, 10:52:52 am »

He's gone to take a shit, so I have a moment to describe my current situation:
It's not good. I set Lucky Nations to Random, and it seems that Burgundy got one. They attacked me with 30k - I had equal forces and I got wrecked in the first battle. I had to resort to baiting and using the terrain - I managed to own them four or five times that way, which gives hope.
Does the succession event appear when the emperor is in the war, or can it happen whenever their king dies on the battlefield?

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: October 13, 2014, 11:16:59 am »

It can happen at war (so engage their army with the king as general if you can).

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: October 13, 2014, 11:37:59 am »

I don't have the raw code with me, but glancing over the Wiki and assuming that it's accurate, the war succession event will not trigger if the Holy Roman Emperor is at war with France, even if Burgundy is also at war with any nation (which is necessary for the succession event that emulates the Battle of Nancy). 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:44:43 am by Culise »

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: October 14, 2014, 02:20:06 am »

How do you get AI to de-rival you, anyway? How much relations do you need with them to have them remove you or at least consider it?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: October 14, 2014, 05:35:15 am »

I think just about the only way to kill an AI rivalry is to grow big enough to cut them down enough that they cannot rival you. As France, seek an Alliance with Castille or Aragon if possible. Maybe eat some Aragonese land by warning them and then using that CB to screw them into the ground. Burgundy in general takes care of itself in the long run. Heck, you can prolly warn them too and join in on wars against them rather than legging it on your own.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: October 30, 2014, 12:07:55 pm »

Art of War is out and it's amazing. Some people are reporting some performance issues but it's actually running faster for me.

I haven't had a long time to play and I really need to get to bed soon (it's 4am!). Been playing the M'zab in north africa. It's one tough nut to crack. You get a massive -40 relation with basically everyone since you're a neighbouring heretic (Ibadi), you're a theocracy so no royal marriages (makes it impossible to secure alliances unless they're already friendly), you have two one base tax provinces, one of those provinces is the wrong religion giving you a measly 50% religious unity and finally a force limit of three which you can't even finance.

So far the only way I can see survival is to try and find an ally in Morocco or another north african which isn't bordering you (there's only like three). Your starting leader is crap and needs to die off as soon as possible so hopefully you get a decent one that can do the unique muslim ruler decisions that give you +missionary strength. Stack as much piety as possible and convert that province as quick as possible (the extra morale may help when you're finally declared on).
Sadly my last attempt fell apart when Morocco got completely destroyed by the Iberians and the scum refused to join my defencive war. Managed to hide in neighbouring neutral territory after scorching my lands (arid really bites hard) and tried to loot enough money to get a merc stack together, sadly I got out-maneuvered due to my terrible general and although not annexed was too broken to continue the good fight.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: November 01, 2014, 05:22:50 am »

The new patch is pretty awesome, and except some bugs (nations getting vassalized in a war, patriot rebels in same culture provinces), I'd say it's the best patch. Honestly, with all the new added cultures and religions, I think I'm going to drop MEIOU, which the only thing it has better now is dharper's religion, imo.

kingofthescots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: November 01, 2014, 09:15:42 am »

There is a beta patch out that fixes some of the biggest bugs (like the friendly patriot rebels!), but there are still some save game bugs.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?811958-1.8-BETA-Hotfix-Checksum-f62e
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 216