Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 449728 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2505 on: January 07, 2016, 10:04:25 pm »

I beat up Ottomans and Russia at the same time; that was pretty cathartic.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: January 07, 2016, 10:15:23 pm »

I've never played as the emperor seriously. I was elected randomly as non-member Montferrat, and ran the HRE into the ground before dismantling it as Nassau (there's something hilarious about getting re-elected emperor while coalitioned by most of the member states, because no electors exist... you'd think they would just leave already if they don't like lilac).

Edit: Oh, wait, EU3! I formed the HRE as England and Japan. Simpler times.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:27:33 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: January 07, 2016, 11:20:44 pm »

I had an EU3 game where I started as England, conquered France, cultural shifted to French and then recreated France, and eventually became emperor and consolidated the HRE.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: January 08, 2016, 06:49:59 am »

I had an EU3 game where I started as England, conquered France, cultural shifted to French and then recreated France, and eventually became emperor and consolidated the HRE.
That is completely disgusting.

Also here is a mod that is trying to fix development. You should show them love and hopefully Paradox will concede on their incompetence.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: January 08, 2016, 12:29:18 pm »

That is completely disgusting.

Also here is a mod that is trying to fix development. You should show them love and hopefully Paradox will concede on their incompetence.
That link's returning an error to me, and I can't find the thread.

A shame, because I'm digging my heels in and refusing to pay for the second half of a gameplay upgrade. Having to fiddle in console because I'm getting the Famine event (-2/-2/-2 to the areas of development) about once every three weeks; if I wasn't auto-correcting with console most of my good provinces would be 1/1/1 now.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: January 08, 2016, 01:28:02 pm »

A shame, because I'm digging my heels in and refusing to pay for the second half of a gameplay upgrade. Having to fiddle in console because I'm getting the Famine event (-2/-2/-2 to the areas of development) about once every three weeks; if I wasn't auto-correcting with console most of my good provinces would be 1/1/1 now.

Here's a direct download link (link will probably break in the future when whoever this handsome modder is releases a new version). Note that it isn't compatible with extended timeline, but only due to minor changes in a few files. A program called WinMerge can be used to easily merge the ET and DD files that overlap, or more lazily most can just be discarded (the ideas files, vanilla building file, government file, vanilla event modifier file, and static modifier file all just replace vanilla dev cost modifiers with build cost and balance things a bit).

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2511 on: January 08, 2016, 06:39:15 pm »

You need to have EUIV registered on your Paradox forum account for some reason.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: January 08, 2016, 06:56:37 pm »

You need to have EUIV registered on your Paradox forum account for some reason.
Can't have pirates getting mods/tech support now, can we?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2513 on: January 08, 2016, 08:32:03 pm »

Can't have pirates getting mods/tech support now, can we?
yarr harr tibbledeedee, being a pirate is all you can be, do what you want cause a pirate is 1337, you aarrrr a pirate

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: January 08, 2016, 09:37:04 pm »

EU4 (and CK2) is one of those games where I absolutely don't blame anyone for pirating it, despite having bought it myself. The cost of buying the game and its expansions is obscene, but you miss out on so much if you don't.

New run for me!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wallachia (the home of Vlad the Impaler/Dracula!) -> Romania. Another fun run, as EU4 games tend to be, although it took a good amount of time before I could start expanding. I still remember having fits trying to afford the single merc regiment I needed to stave off a very early pretender rebel spawn. I love navy blue, so I'm much happier with this formable nation.

I'm not entirely sure how to proceed - I want to fish off Tuscany, Sicily, and Morocco, but I cant afford these coring costs, doing so will probably take most of the remaining time of the game. It's a tech level problem - because I spend all my admin points on coring, I cant afford to upgrade admin tech. Because I cant upgrade admin tech, I cant unlock higher levels of admin efficiency, which makes coring much cheaper and overextention much less harsh. I think I should of just sat around teching up earlier on instead of expanding past Egypt, because at this point I don't think I can afford to catch up to the going admin tech, which is like 7 tech levels above me.

Restoring the pentarchy and removing the Papacy was fun, though :)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2515 on: January 08, 2016, 10:29:04 pm »

Norway has eaten Scotland/Ireland, Galacia is doing well, and Poland is migrating west. What a game.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: January 08, 2016, 11:20:20 pm »

Yep! It's been a fun one. I think I have an idea on how to keep conquering, and I wish I thought of it sooner... client states!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: January 09, 2016, 01:02:58 am »

Coring the African and Asian stuff as overseas territory (-50% cost) would've helped, if you didn't. You still could do it with some of the Moroccan land, if you leave a separating strip of Morocco while coring the land to the west.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: January 11, 2016, 12:52:06 am »

Thank you for the tips :) I finished off the game, just ended up eating through bohtan/georgia/lithuania/sicily before the game ended. Nothing too exciting happened.

Is there a mod that removes the new world? I like the concept, but I don't like the execution. The main problem I have with it is that the AI absolutely cannot deal with it once they start colonizing. Castille parking their entire army in random south american colonies while half of Spain is under siege, England drag racing their navy around Canada while seperatist rebels tear apart of the isles, France completely ignoring Europe for 200 years while they colonize Louisiana, etc. Every time the New World opens up for more than just Portugal, it feels like every colonizer just grinds to a halt for the rest of the game.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: January 11, 2016, 01:01:55 am »

I vaguely recall seeing a mod that made the random new world just be a large ocean, although I can't find it again.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 216