Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451577 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2610 on: March 03, 2016, 09:29:37 am »

Maneuver is never worthless as it makes your armies move faster as well, does it not?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: March 03, 2016, 09:46:13 am »

True,  and it also reduce attrition but I used to consider it as by far the less important of the three.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: March 03, 2016, 10:35:25 am »

I don't think you can ever ignore a terrain malus like hills/mountains/etc, but if the attacking general has at least 1 more maneuver than the defending general he will avoid the river crossing/strait/landing malus every time. You can usually manually avoid rivers though, so the usefulness of this is nothing like as if you could avoid terrain maluses altogether.

Maneuver is sorta useful. It's still considerably worse than fire/shock/siege overall (at least when fire pips start mattering), since it has no combat impact and oftentimes the slightly faster armies and reduced attrition will not influence the outcome of a war. It used to be a lot nicer when chasing and stackwiping armies was more common before forts were changed, but now you have to play for the long game in wars more often.

Attrition can be a huge deal in some parts of the world, though. Namely Siberia, southeast Asia, and the Persian region can have supply limits low enough that splitting your armies to avoid attrition is not viable. It's not really a big deal in most of the world, though.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:37:08 am by Rex_Nex »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: March 03, 2016, 11:14:21 am »

You can still get decent use of your maneuver when defending against an enemy that is crossing a river though.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: March 10, 2016, 04:21:19 am »

New DD is out and we finally know how MN will revamp fleet missions, leaders and combat.
It looks quite nice, fleets can be a micromanagement hell at times and if their automated missions work as intended it will be a godsend. Admirals still look like they are ehh, not really worth it though, and I don't quite get why MN owners will be able to reassign leaders of fleets within supply range, does MN unlock primitive Star Trek teleporters mounted on ships? :P

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2615 on: March 10, 2016, 04:36:18 am »

Maneuver
maneuver
maneuver
MANOEUVRE

Admirals still look like they are ehh, not really worth it though
Having separate naval/land leader caps would make them much more desirable IMO.

I don't quite get why MN owners will be able to reassign leaders of fleets within supply range, does MN unlock primitive Star Trek teleporters mounted on ships? :P
Armies work the same way with teleporting generals, so it's more a question of why only admirals are constrained by the laws of physics.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: March 10, 2016, 08:24:50 am »

Admirals still look like they are ehh, not really worth it though
Having separate naval/land leader caps would make them much more desirable IMO.
Yeah, as long as they have to compete with generals for slots I'd rather have full generals and maybe one explorer max.

I don't quite get why MN owners will be able to reassign leaders of fleets within supply range, does MN unlock primitive Star Trek teleporters mounted on ships? :P
Armies work the same way with teleporting generals, so it's more a question of why only admirals are constrained by the laws of physics.
Well, that's true. But it's the fact that they only added this now and only for DLC owners is what sounds the weirdest to me. It's such a minor, random feature.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2617 on: March 20, 2016, 12:45:47 pm »

Aw yeah, just conquered all of the Sahara, conquered all of the former Roman Empire lands and acquired two footholds in India. My last great enemy the British were finally smashed after a million Roman soldiers launched an attack on Kent and Dover, Greek Tanks rolling through London in short time. Byzantium reformed the Roman Empire and the Roman Empire reformed the Holy Roman Empire, therefore confirming my Empire as triple Roman. Also Scotland took over Canada (???)

Might do an AAR but I need help on deciding what to do with my Knights of Rhodes run.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Ottomans are very angry at me, the Mamlukes slightly less so but still very angry and as of this moment the Ottomans appear to be just about to deal the deathblow to Karaman, Georgia (now shiite) and the Mamlukes in one war (having already destroyed Candar in this war).

Circled in red are the islands I have managed to take possession of, the islands of Rhodes, Cyprus and Crete, giving my bases in all Aleppo/Constantinople/Alexandrian trade (to pirate). I managed to secure Cyprus with Venetian help (though as a result of that war Venice ended up being carved to pieces by Hungary, Milan and Florence, helpfully leaving Crete open for me whilst killing my erstwhile naval ally). I failed to stop the Ottomans from taking over Corfu, Naxos, Chios and Euboea (and a good opportunity was missed when they were trapped on Corfu) and now the only thing stopping the Ottomans from taking over the Eastern Mediterranean is the Knights' naval wedge.
Yet my forces represent a wedge without a hammer.

The Ottoman fleet has a mere 2 light ships, but with 44 galleys and 12 cogs commands the largest warfleet in the world. The Knights with 3 heavy warships, 4 light ships, 11 galleys and 5 cogs has one of the largest fleets in the world, more than Portugal and Venice - a fleet built up over decades of harassing Ottoman trade.
Yet when it comes to armies the Knights command 11,000 soldiers whilst the Ottomans have over 60,000, excluding auxiliaries and allies. The Knights' only useful ally with a large ground force is Poland, who lacking Lithuania have only 24,000 troops, and are constantly at threat by Bohemia. Even with the Warfleet at sea conducting hit and run strikes on the Ottoman fleet, the war cannot ultimately be won at sea and eventually the Ottomans will be able to land an army on one of the three islands. It is quite the puzzle.

Should I wait for Poland to hopefully form a personal union with Lithuania, or should I search for alliance with the Austrians or Hungarians?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2618 on: March 22, 2016, 09:45:48 pm »

Spoiler: tl;dr aar part 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: part 2 (click to show/hide)

Trapped between Spanish Italy and Ottoman everything and Barbary everything

fml
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:05:09 pm by Loud Whispers »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: March 26, 2016, 05:23:20 pm »

Is that Kochin in southern India? If so, I think you have a moral obligation to save their bubblegum-pink hides from Bahmanis, if you're still playing this campaign. Also, good lord, just look at that Kedah, I hope they stayed Sunni. And there's Theodoro on the rampage again, it's really weird that that's becoming a common sight.

Completely unrelated, here's something that's been bothering me for about a week now:

I added some buildings, and to make space moved the costs over the building icons to compress the rows. It's probably strange to ask this here, but what do you guys think of the readability of the text?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: March 26, 2016, 05:48:45 pm »

Quite good. Some of them are wonky, but then it's not like you need to read them all the time.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2621 on: March 26, 2016, 06:11:29 pm »

Yeah, it's fine. It's not perfect but I wouldn't complain about it in a mod.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: March 27, 2016, 09:19:58 am »

Had a fun run as Athens. It's a challenging start, but there are certainly worse. Here was my starting move:

Declared independence asap, beat byzantium, turned byzantium's achea and morea into marches, allied hungary, no cb'd and ate Bosnia/Serbia completely using Hungary to fight the battles (gave Hungary the one province from Bosnia they desire), and somehow survived the resulting revolts. This basically transforms you into a very unstable Bosnia with some greek holdings.

Here's my empire by the time I got bored:

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2623 on: March 27, 2016, 08:17:30 pm »

Ok, that's impressive.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: March 29, 2016, 02:42:02 am »

Is "Catstille" a client state? It's a funny name for one. If only you could've made it shaped like a cat, like LW's elephant.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 216