Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 238037 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prison HYPHEN Architect (v. a11) - Bring out your dead!
« Reply #660 on: June 28, 2013, 06:38:29 pm »

If you watch the video the morgue truck leaves a body in the road. I love how the developers are like, eh, close enough, we'll fix it :D
This in Introversion. They breathe bugs.
Duh, it isn't a bug, it's a feature. Rotting dead bodies on the road.
Now with 5% more dead escapees!
He was just faking death to escape. Sneaky bastards.
That has GOT to be a thing.
I hope he knows how to put his head back on his neck after that though.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 28, 2013, 07:03:42 pm »

Posting to break the quote pyramid.

New patch is looking good but it's still way too bare-bones for me to consider buying, especially at the ridiculous alpha price. It makes sense to be able to buy unlimited land in such early development but I hope that it starts getting limited later. Half the challenge of the tycoon genre is trying to fit your sprawling enterprise in limited space. Although truly overcrowded gaols could probably only be achieved with multiple z levels.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 29, 2013, 09:11:27 pm »

Well prisoner release is still fairly shaky. Guys are becoming released and then they do nothing, although they seem to move around because I keep finding them in different corners of my map when I go looking for them. I have yet to actually witness one of them moving once they're released though. For two, the time compression on their sentence is way too high. I've got guys with 1 year sentences becoming released the first day they arrive. I get something has to happen to make them two values meet up. But it's hard to predict your available staffing funds when it will go up by $800 at 8am, then drop $400 by 5pm.

So right now I've got one naked guy in handcuffs, hanging out by a metal detector in my hallways. Another guy in handcuffs in the holding cells on a bench. And one guy who, after he was released sat on a toilet in the holding cell for over a day. Now he's off in the unfinished parts of my prison, as far as he could possibly be from his freedom.

Turns out if you order them to be searched, they may snap out of it.

On the plus side, I haven't had a snag with the trucks and deliveries yet. And the game is running super, super smooth on my system now.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:13:20 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 29, 2013, 09:16:23 pm »

if you're not making $3000 a day with license plates in a maximum security prison with 40 prisoners you're playing in your own manner which i may or may not approve of yet be assured it is probably not the manner in which i operate my gaol

i spent something 30k on all the workshop equipment but it seems to be worth it

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: June 29, 2013, 09:37:54 pm »

Reading on the PA forums, apparently guys won't pass through a staff only area when they're released. So you can't have the entrance of your prison be staff only. Or I guess you can flip it back and forth and let prisoners out in waves. I think you still get money for them as long as they're on the premise. But don't do anything, including rage. So kind of a buggy way to get more staff than you have prisoners that need taking care of.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #665 on: June 29, 2013, 09:40:55 pm »

I've finally hit a good balancing point where I hover around 50 prisoners but have room for 75. I toggle intake one whenever I drop below 50 but they are coming in and releasing in a pretty steady stream. Adding the additional grants helped get everything up and running.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 30, 2013, 03:46:31 pm »

Well this is what I put together last night, using a pre-saved template I'm made several builds ago.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Haven't had a single incident other than contraband seizures since I began. Now that everything is built and I've got a large staff, time to expand the medium and high security blocks to the west, grossly overcrowd this thing, and get the blood flowing :P

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 30, 2013, 04:37:12 pm »

I guess it is boring if nothing goes wrong?  :)
Make love not war

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: June 30, 2013, 04:43:22 pm »

It's a lot like DF in that sense. What PA lacks compared to it is the 3rd dimension. PA also still lacks a lot of cosmetic/non-essential things. It may not get those, who knows.

Now that prisoners leave though, at least the game doesn't hit a stasis point. In the end it's balanced for playing it with a limited budget. How I play it would be like hacking DF to start with 50 legendary dwarves and 20 years worth of materials, with invasions and migrations turned off. If you're playing it according to the game's starting budget, getting to something like that is a feat of gameplay.

I wanna wreck it because there's a fair amount of stuff you don't see when you don't have problems.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 04:46:08 pm by nenjin »

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 30, 2013, 05:34:13 pm »

It's a lot like DF in that sense. What PA lacks compared to it is the 3rd dimension. PA also still lacks a lot of cosmetic/non-essential things. It may not get those, who knows.
I thought that at first, then I realized 3rd dimension wouldn't add anything to the game, unlike DF. There is no digging, and you can build another building instead of putting a 2nd floor. It would just be a cosmetic change, and with the graphics, it's easier to read in 2D.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 30, 2013, 05:48:45 pm »

I thought that at first, then I realized 3rd dimension wouldn't add anything to the game, unlike DF. There is no digging, and you can build another building instead of putting a 2nd floor. It would just be a cosmetic change, and with the graphics, it's easier to read in 2D.
There's that delicious distance-optimisation to think of. Putting two cell blocks, one stacked on top of the other, results in shorter travel distances than building another cell block next to the first.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 30, 2013, 05:56:52 pm »

I think with Introversion they could work in things to do with the 3rd dimension that would make it worth it. Plus verticality can be incredibly space saving when done right. Plus there's just the pure visual aesthetic, some people do enjoy that.

It not being there is by no means a huge detractor though.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 30, 2013, 07:00:16 pm »

I guess it is boring if nothing goes wrong?  :)
It's fine to a certain extent. Sometimes it's fun just watching your well-poled machine run.

Then, suddenly, it gets boring, and you purposely make everything go to shit.

A bit like DF, in that sense.

One of my more recent prisons was in a state of permanent riot. It was running well for a few hours, then people started getting all pissy for no reason. I had enough guards and checkpoints to keep the riot running overnight as I slept. I woke up and the only causality was a doctor who more than likely died of exhaustion.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 30, 2013, 08:18:23 pm »

Plus there's just the pure visual aesthetic, some people do enjoy that.
It's also simpler for the players to understand. I've heard a fair few complaints about how DF handles the world in slices.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #674 on: July 31, 2013, 11:00:13 am »

Patch day.

http://www.introversion.co.uk/blog/

They also got the cover for PC Gamer. Woot!
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 107