Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 239048 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Prison HYPHEN Architect (v. a30) - Now on tablets!
« Reply #1170 on: March 02, 2015, 12:34:08 pm »

I have seen plenty of prisoners sleep before 10pm on free time if the need is high enough...never heard of the 10pm-8am thing

Would be kinda funny to have Night Owl personality traits so some prisoners have a lifestyle that doesn't jive with the regular prison schedule.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: March 02, 2015, 12:39:06 pm »

I have seen plenty of prisoners sleep before 10pm on free time if the need is high enough...never heard of the 10pm-8am thing

http://prison-architect.wikia.com/wiki/Alpha_10#Other

Code: [Select]
- Prisoners will now sleep when in their cells at any time between 10pm and 8am, if they need to
Individually, one prisoner may go to bed if he's super-tired. But you can't set sleep time in your regime for everyone and expect them to sleep at any strange time, they will just hang around in their cells. In fact there isn't much difference between Lockup time and Sleep time in that regard, but Lockup also makes them a bit more docile and counts for some scoring.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: March 02, 2015, 01:12:26 pm »

Shame.  I've been having ideas for a midnight laundry and cleaning service. 

Essentially a two-shift prison with a day and night crew that would let me better regulate automatic doors and traffic flows.

It will be for naught, for this version anyhow.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: March 02, 2015, 02:23:25 pm »

Sleep time?  I don't ever use that anymore.  Bedtime is lockdown time, I don't care what prisoners actually do during that time.  I've also taken to giving lowsec freetime when not at work or eating, cause they are typically no trouble at all.
As I have mentioned multiple times, lowsec prisoners can be used and abused.  Make them work at night.

...  I am contemplating setting up a trap zone in my auto-prison... considering the comments from the a30 video.  I shouldn't rack up more then 50 kills a day like that...  I think.  >.>
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #1174 on: March 27, 2015, 03:04:16 pm »

DEATH PATCH!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: March 27, 2015, 03:07:23 pm »

Edit: scratch that, yes it is.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:36:13 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prison HYPHEN Architect (v. a31) - DEATH ROW! and stuff
« Reply #1176 on: March 27, 2015, 08:07:32 pm »

Supermax Permabrig

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: March 28, 2015, 12:12:47 am »

I find their rationale about how Death Row works a little...I dunno, too pandering? I mean, look at DF. You can simulate a lot of unpleasant things depending on your level of imagination, not because the game was designed that way, but because the mechanics have the depth and take a mostly neutral stance to what you can do with them. Also in light of the way they did Permanent Punishments, you can still make a Little Prison of Horrors pretty easily. It's not that I intended to make a murder-factory prison, nor do I really find a limited death row system a real problem thematically or more mechanically. But the idea of "well that's not realistic" or "we don't want to offend people" doesn't really hold water in a game where you can make people live in the dirt in a 1x1 room their whole existence, or build the prison chapel in the same room as your garbage stockpile and morgue. It seems like one of those game mechanics where you end up singling it out more by restricting it. Not that DF doesn't do that in its own way, and makes excuses about realism. I guess I expected them to defend the fact it was a simulation above all else, instead of going out of their way to control how it was used.

Put simpler, they could have done exactly what they did without going on and on about how sensitive Death Row is, and I think it'd be fine.

Although I do like how executions are an event that affects the whole prison. I suppose when you build up this much drama around the mechanic, you spend some time defending your choices. I do think they're taken the time to simulate it to the degree that it gets the player to think about the process of execution regardless of what view they hold on it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:30:43 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: March 29, 2015, 08:44:28 am »

What, was there something in the video that wasn't in the patch notes?  How they handled death row seems pretty reasonable to me.  What did people want instead?  a system where you can randomly execute prisoners at a whim?

In unrelated news, there is something wrong with my brain:
Code: [Select]
[o][o][o][o] . [o][o][o] . [o][o][o][o]
[o] .  .  .  .  .  . [o] .  . [o] .  .
[o] . [o][o] . [o] . [o] .  . [o] . [o]
[o] . [o] .  . [o] . [o][o] . [o] . [o]
 .  . [o] .  . [o] .  .  .  .  .  . [o]
[o][o][o] . [o][o][o][o] . [o][o][o][o]

[o] -- six separate offices, technically each 4x4.
. -- staff room snaking between the offices, sofas fit in the two 2x2 spaces. 
Technically it could fit two separate staff rooms, but I don't think has any advantages?  And I dont think there are more than 6 office requirements for the staff, so this should fit all of their needs within an 8x15 foundation.

I tend to play Dwarf Fortress this way also.  Layouts always need to be optimized for some crazy thing or the other.

edited to make the image a little more clear
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 10:16:25 am by puke »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: March 29, 2015, 10:19:57 am »

What, was there something in the video that wasn't in the patch notes?  How they handled death row seems pretty reasonable to me.  What did people want instead?  a system where you can randomly execute prisoners at a whim?
Its called armed guards.  Its got the same hands on feel to executions, without any of the paperwork.  Or well, you can make it random.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: March 29, 2015, 12:03:26 pm »

I'd like the Deathrow system if it weren't so atrociously bureaucratic in the game.

Yes of course you are supposed to run a prison and not Auschwitz, but the way this is handled really breaks the flow of the game. I don't want the entire prison business to be completely disrupted each time i want one of the death row inmates executed.

Thats something i find really annoying. If they would remove the whole lockdown thing and the entire "DROP EVERYTHING MAN ON THE GREEN MILE" -schtick it would be handled well enough. Yeah go for the whole procedure, treat it seriously but dont turn that mechanic into something that encumbers the gameplay, after all im a Prison Manager and want to run an efficient prison not drop everything because Heinz Mcmurderpants gets a date with the ropemakers daughter.

but thats just my two cents on the business. Guess im gonna wait for some mod who disables the necessity to make every execution something very important.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: March 29, 2015, 02:17:27 pm »

after all im a Prison Manager and want to run an efficient prison not drop everything because Heinz Mcmurderpants gets a date with the ropemakers daughter.

Sounds like they got it just right, I bet this is exactly how actual prison administrators feel. 

I think they did a good job, especially in that you really have to go out of your way to unlock it and actively participate.  It's not the continuous intake system that slowly overwhelms you with additional demands unless you turn it down.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1182 on: March 29, 2015, 03:01:02 pm »

-snip-
Guess deathrow is just an issue they have some strong feeling about and try to thread really carefully around it. Trying not to sell it off as yet another "feature", tying to add some wight to it. But then again that was the first patch video I saw from them so I really have no idea how seriously they usually treat other new features.

-snip-
Look at it this way - deathrow is the endgame material for PA. You go for it only when you can afford for your whole prison to be locked down. And the final product is sort of a mini special event where you take a step back and contemplate a little. But that's just my take on it. To each his own
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: March 29, 2015, 03:28:09 pm »

I personally dislike them using it in a way that comes across as a political platform of sorts...at least when you listen the the context and what not on the dev video.

I am sorry that they (and so many others) are so disturbed by the death penalty...but I frankly don't care...Deliberately trying to add emotional weight to it in the game seems silly and as expressed above just breaks the flow of things.

People should come to death row like they do and the death penalty should just be a click on the rap sheet. I understand the lockdown and everything and that's fine...but why should I have to authorize every step...that's just silly

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: March 29, 2015, 06:12:49 pm »

More needless micromanagement for a new feature in the game, just need to wait for a mod to fix it... but yea, I already do have an alternative green mile...
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 107