Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 238070 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prison Architect (v. a33) - Now with 20% softer mattresses
« Reply #1215 on: May 29, 2015, 12:08:01 am »

I hope they'll give more personality to the staff. Things like sadistic guards beating prisoners and stuff. And we'll have to deal with them or something.

I think the devs' take on prisons is kinda... left-wing. You know, a place of rehabilitation and reform. My prison is looking like an utopia now but I know there are many dystopian prisons out there. Death penalty is a step towards introducing the grim and dark realities but I haven't gotten there yet.

I think they are trying to use elements from fiction similar to Fallout's retro-futuristic reality.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: May 29, 2015, 12:47:29 am »

I hope they'll give more personality to the staff. Things like sadistic guards beating prisoners and stuff. And we'll have to deal with them or something.

I think the devs' take on prisons is kinda... left-wing. You know, a place of rehabilitation and reform. My prison is looking like an utopia now but I know there are many dystopian prisons out there. Death penalty is a step towards introducing the grim and dark realities but I haven't gotten there yet.

I think they are trying to use elements from fiction similar to Fallout's retro-futuristic reality.

The issue isn't so much that the prisons are left wing so much that... they always push towards left wing.

Even when your prison sucks it feels more mismanaged then outright corrupt like many well known prisons.

It just doesn't let you get that satisfying feel of douchbaggery... nor do you often feel like your prisons are particularly idyllic when you try hard either because it never treats what you are doing as anything special.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: May 29, 2015, 01:20:28 am »

Well to be fair, all empirical evidence points towards superharsh treatment of prisoners being counterproductive, while reformative systems (that provide mental health services, important point) provide much smaller reoffending rate. That being said, running a corrupt hellhole should be an option, giving an alternative way to make money. Perhaps giving you an option to bribe judges into sending harmless prisoners marked as supermax or the like your way too. (Like those judges who got caught for this very thing in the States.) 

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: May 29, 2015, 02:54:30 am »

I dun know, it seems like you can be as right wing as much as you want. You dont need to do reform programs or give the prisoners amenities. Right Ring doens't meant corruption.  Even if it seems to be highly correlated. I like the idea of being corrupted, but it should be indepndent to the style of prison you've made.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: May 29, 2015, 05:32:19 am »

The "leftist prison vs rightist prison" distinction I made is kinda arbitrary. I suppose the difference is much more nuanced than that, but in my mind:

Leftist prison: Reform programs taken to a degree as if the prison is a boarding school, total freedom regarding access to telephones, guards acting more like nanny robots, light penal labor, psychologists ready to make you stare at ink blots for an hour or so after your murder spree.

Rightist prison: Shawshank Redemption style shithole. Sadistic guards who are difficult to control, race-based gangs murdering each other all the time, more uppity prisoners, back-breaking kind of penal labor, punishment for the smallest things.

Yeah you can make a 22 hour Lockdown and 2+2 hour Canteen schedule. That will get your prisoners angry enough to murder each other. But like Neonivek said, your prison just feels more like a mismanaged prison then. All you need to do is keep the NEEDS of prisoners to a minimum and before you know it, your max-sec wing is full of happy, peaceful and obedient killers shitting rainbows.

It's still Alpha, so we'll see. It's not like I'm asking for the implementation of prison rape here. The game is great as it is anyway.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:34:07 am by Leatra »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: May 29, 2015, 07:18:17 am »

Rightist prisons are very small and cramped places.  There just isn't that much room to build on that side of the road.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: May 29, 2015, 01:43:05 pm »

Worse, if you tried running a centrist prison everyone would get run over by trucks.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: May 29, 2015, 03:23:05 pm »

So we've got some feedback loops introduced in this one. Misbehaving prisoners will get a lower security score and shittier cells leading them to misbehave more, but if you can set them on the straight and narrow then the same systems will work to make them calmer.

I think the thing I like most is the information we're getting about how well behaved each prisoner is, which will help in manually assigning security levels.

Misbehaving prisoners in my prison get solitary. Then executed. I don't fuck around with scum.

The hilarious thing is that my well behaved prisoners get pampered. I make sure they have showers and everything.

You say hilarious I say, an accurate representation of the state of the US prison industry, just replace executed with "shoved in the SHU for 23 hours a day for the rest of their prison term".

Which is totally what I do with my supermax dickbags to be fair. The only exit to the SHU in my prisons is a long corridor with a pair of armed guards stationed. Because they keep roid raging and tearing the doors down.

The theory is somewhat sound...rewards for good behavior...punishment for bad behavior..

sadly that is a very shallow system that doesn't work when dealing with people who are plagued with mental illness and ingrained with ideals that don't have them functioning like society would expect.

Also money...like most things in the US the system seems to be run around the philosophy of "Fuck 'em, I just do it for the money"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1223 on: May 29, 2015, 03:24:22 pm »

Suddenly this is about the US? That was a strange turn.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: May 29, 2015, 03:26:29 pm »

Can't tell if being sarcastic or not....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: May 29, 2015, 03:54:38 pm »

It's still Alpha, so we'll see. It's not like I'm asking for the implementation of prison rape here. The game is great as it is anyway.

I dont think the game is anymore in alpha. They will be releasing it in few months
Make love not war

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: May 29, 2015, 04:05:55 pm »

I dont think the game is anymore in alpha. They will be releasing it in few months
When it comes out has nothing to do with the state its in. You can be in alpha for ages and then skip beta entierly and be released if you think its reasonable to do it. (this is more of a beta now though, if they said they aren't trying to break everything this time)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: May 29, 2015, 04:41:02 pm »

I was directly referencing a statement about US prisons...sooo yes?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: May 30, 2015, 02:43:34 am »

Are gangs planned?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: May 30, 2015, 05:08:26 am »

They've talked about wanting to add them, so eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 107