Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 181277 times)

Deathseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress: Losing is !!MAGIC!! (Formerly known as Fanon is Magic)
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2012, 07:25:49 pm »

Bigger than now? D:
No kidding, my computer goes into hysterics when I try to open that beast as it currently is. Once, I think it almost achieved sentience, but I killed it before it went anywhere... I hope.  I'm afraid I'll rip open a hole in space-time trying to get into anything larger.
I have seen the future, it does not include you.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2012, 08:46:43 am »

hopefully it won't be TOO large, I know there's already a substantial delay when genning worlds and opening the arena that are negligible without the pony file

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2012, 02:33:03 pm »

Good news everypony!

Initial results are in! 1100ish castes have been created and defined (still need to add their preferred skills and their cutie marks tho) and the file size is just marginally larger than the old file.
The entire thing should be less than 12mb (As opposed to the old one's 11mb) Most of that is actually the cutie mark and color definitions, as they have to be defined per caste to ensure there's plenty of diversity.

so... phew.. this has taken most of the day, i REALLY hope it works...

I still have to add the actual different cutie marks and stuff, but that's not TOO much of an issue

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2012, 05:31:28 pm »

Haha. You have to love combinatorial explosions :P

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2012, 07:05:37 pm »

That's the hard and incredibly-time-consuming part which made me take up drinking for the two weeks I spent doing it.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2012, 07:25:39 pm »

hah, I hear ya, thankfully I have some friends that have been helping me out with adding the actual cutie marks, the list is getting slightly extensive already. I count 505 different cutie marks in our current list, tho there may be some overlap. We're three quarters "done" with earth ponies, but pegasi and unicorns are still slightly lacking.

Once I have a long list of marks it's really just a matter of grouping them up and assigning different groups to the different castes, most of that can be semi-automated at least.

Should hopefully have something workable sometime next week, whoo!

Corwynt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2012, 06:43:42 pm »

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/ponyfortresswinningt.png/

Came across this. Very interesting pony we got there.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:45:27 pm by Corwynt »

Deathseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2012, 06:53:37 pm »

That pony needs to be given a room constructed of solid gold blocks, with platinum furniture.
I have seen the future, it does not include you.

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2012, 07:35:34 pm »

Been doing a bit of thinking. Maybe it wasn't the best choice to give them two front graspers if you have to use a complicated work around to do it (especially since the joints also offer up a few more places to get injured at). Perhaps another way to go about it would to instead make the tail graspable, that way ponies still have two main graspers like other races, with the unicorn horn having however many others. Just a thought.

*EDIT Just remembered, the complicated bodies are to get rid of the need for pants.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 09:40:40 am by Indigo_Surprise »

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2012, 09:29:40 am »

Quick Little Update : Notepad++ is Magic.

Slogging through the cutie marks and class update now, i think there's around 650 different cutie marks split into several categories then spread across the different classes, this makes adding more cutie marks much simpler. Doing a much bigger change than I initially planned with the classes this time around. Classes now affect more than just skills, most of them also changes personality tags a bit, and some affect stat gains and caps. Of course this does result in quite a lot of work that needs to be done. I have thus far completed the pegasus skillset and the pegasus and unicorn cutie mark lists. Hoping to get around to doing the unicorn caste list today, but at the very least I should be able to finish the cutie mark definitions.

The file size is maintained around 11-12Mb, so not as bad as I initially thought, even with a much higher volume of caste options.

Lastly, I had a look using dwarf therapist, and as was mentioned earlier in the thread, yes, therapist uses the name of the caste for its grouping, so all unicorns and earth pony castes are grouped together... BONUS!

As i mentioned before you won't be able to see exactly what your pony is good at, this is primarily done to prevent even more shoehorning than is already rampant in DF. I don't want people atomsmashing ponies because their special talent is modeling and not blacksmithing. They'll still be just as useful as any other non-blacksmith pony at blacksmithing. Well.. until you take the race into account ofcourse.

I am also looking into implementation of the elements of harmony interactions, should be fun if they work!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2012, 09:46:48 am »

Been doing a bit of thinking. Maybe it wasn't the best choice to give them two front graspers if you have to use a complicated work around to do it (especially since the joints also offer up a few more places to get injured at). Perhaps another way to go about it would to instead make the tail graspable, that way ponies still have two main graspers like other races, with the unicorn horn having however many others. Just a thought.

Was this done to get around the left vs. right hand grasper thing?  Gloves and gauntlets have a left and right handedness, and in Nidokoenig's mod the pony mouths had LEFT and RIGHT graspers, which I assumed was to allow them to equip handkerchiefs and bandanas.  Although, come to think of it, horns only had a RIGHT grasper I think, and they still worked fine.

I'd actually prefer to see ponies with only a single grasping part for a mouth, if possible without significant issue.  I've accidentally given weapons and shields to earth ponies and pegasi before, and it's kind of jarring when you realize that's what happened.  Although with the way DF handles this they may well do it anyway.

As for griffons, I haven't taken a look at this mod but in my personal revision of Nidokoenig's mod I just gave them [GRASP] on both forelimbs.  I just assume they use their wings to stay just above the ground or to hold an upright stance when fighting.

Edit: LEFT and RIGHT inside of braces have hilarious effects.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:27:47 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2012, 10:06:02 am »

I think in nido's case it was primarily a way to give armor to the grasper (mouth) by virtue of giving them scarves and headgear, hence the right handed mouths and such. The combat system's fascination with graspers is not really anything we can do anything about, but helmets seem to offer at least some protection to those areas. I have opted for a more simplified approach with things like the barding armor covering pretty much the entire body, and the breastplate, shoes and helmets adding to this defense. It's not perfect, but I felt it was the best way to do it.

The forelimbs as secondary graspers does seem to work for now, just assume they use magnetic horseshoes or something XD

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2012, 10:29:28 am »

One other thing I wish worked better was having [GRASP] and [STANCE] on the same body part.  I tried that with the griffons and they ended up just treating said feet as feet, and were unable to pick up anything with them.

So giving ponies [GRASP] on their forelimbs will cause them to lose the ability to stand if one leg is crippled I believe, instead of the two normally needed for a pony.  Possibly acceptable.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2012, 10:50:30 am »

hmm, I haven't noticed that in my tests so far, let me have another look..

Actually that would be the most "realistic" way to do it.. earth ponies default to carrying things in their mouth, and would be slightly hindered by a shield. They don't need two grasps to shoot a crossbow but they DO need two to transfer a bolt from a quiver.

I'm going to move the BP's around so that unicorns prefer to use their telekinesis.. there's currently a bug where the telekinesis can actually be lopped off, I intended it to be ethereal, but no dice.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2012, 11:12:05 am »

Hmm, wait, maybe it was that they couldn't equip armor on their feet if you put [GRASP] and [STANCE] on the same body part.  I need to retest that at some point, maybe I was just doing something wrong.

As for the TK, are you not just using a grasping horn like in Nidokoenig's mod?  If you've actually got a TK body part, I think omitting the tissue definition will make it indestructible, as any attack will pass through harmlessly.  That may still allow severing, I've only done this by accident in the past.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 81