Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 181204 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress: Losing is !!MAGIC!! (Formerly known as Fanon is Magic)
« Reply #375 on: February 21, 2013, 11:44:46 am »

Dwarf Fortress apparently has more MLP mods than any other game out there...
Not saying it's bad thing, though.

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 21, 2013, 03:19:29 pm »

For the apple-bucking to work, all you should have to do is set the "buck apples" reaction on repeat. The apple quality control should do all its work automatically. You should only have one control workshop, otherwise you get spammed with cancellation messages. And to speed things along, I set up stockpiles for apples and quality apples outside next to the trees and quality control. I forbid them from the indoor stockpiles just to avoid cancellation spam from hauling. I do allow baskets of apples inside.

zacoda1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 21, 2013, 05:56:03 pm »

For the apple-bucking to work, all you should have to do is set the "buck apples" reaction on repeat. The apple quality control should do all its work automatically. You should only have one control workshop, otherwise you get spammed with cancellation messages. And to speed things along, I set up stockpiles for apples and quality apples outside next to the trees and quality control. I forbid them from the indoor stockpiles just to avoid cancellation spam from hauling. I do allow baskets of apples inside.
I have the apple trees working and on repeat, the problem is the sorting station. I set it to sort the apples, but the ponies don't even go to it, so it's pretty much not working.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 21, 2013, 08:40:12 pm »

It seems I should repost what Sorcerer told me about armour and materials:
ironwool has the same deflective properties as iron, but i think the layer is slightly thinner.
for the time being crystal is pretty close to steel, iirc the weapons are slightly sharper but the armor is a bit more brittle and slightly worse against blunt weapons compared to steel.

I'm not sure if all of this is true, since it seems ironwool has stats copied from iron. Also it doesn't explain how good are crystal maces (at least not to my severely limited modding knowledge).
Does anybody have any fun ideas for a pony-themed megaproject? Preferably something that doesn't require being a DF veteran.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 21, 2013, 08:54:29 pm »

Building an exclusively above ground fort is a pretty large undertaking, and very pony.  Even if you're not embarking in a particularly dangerous location or trying anything strange, it's a good distraction from a more typical underground fort.

I have the apple trees working and on repeat, the problem is the sorting station. I set it to sort the apples, but the ponies don't even go to it, so it's pretty much not working.

I doubt apple sorting uses a different labor than apple bucking, but just in case, are you sure you've got the relevant labors turned on?  Might want to try turning all of the farming labors on and see if that fixes it.  I can't check in the raws right now to see which labor is needed exactly.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 21, 2013, 10:27:33 pm »

Building an exclusively above ground fort is a pretty large undertaking, and very pony.  Even if you're not embarking in a particularly dangerous location or trying anything strange, it's a good distraction from a more typical underground fort.

I have to second this.  It may not seem like much, but an almost totally above-ground fort (just furnaces, forges, tombs, and barracks below) for a mere 50 ponies was an exhausting project: using a slightly modified version of the "Equestria" worldgen (random world name, more levels of sky and above layer 1) I had 10k embark points and sank a thousand of that into wood (most of the other 'excess' was sunk into steel bars I still haven't used thanks to low population and easy access to crystal).  I embarked on a heavily forested setting, always order wood at max priority from the liasion, and built a sawmill really early.  The rather modest construction has consumed thousands of planks and took years to build -- I'm not sure I could have done it if I hadn't abused multiple floors and adjoining walls, and it would have eaten Pegasi like candy if I hadn't gone in ready for derpy flyer pathing.  Word of caution about that: sometimes in this mod, doing things around a ramp makes it inexplicably unusable, getting not just pegasi, but anyone stuck on the roof.  Use stairs instead: they take more resources for a single z-level (2 items instead of 1), but never "break" and can be expanded easily to multiple levels. 

Making a proper village, with free-standing homes and businesses for everypony and roads (ideally stone or stone-block paved) between them?  Even with a low popcap to build and prepare for your eventual monarch-getting aspirations without worrying about sieges, it'll be a Herculean effort.  If you go further, and decide to be an architect about it, using only certain materials in certain conditions ("Exterior walls and the walls/floors of workshops that use fire or work stone need to be stone"  "Straw roofs for farmers and food-production buildings", etc.), it becomes a serious megaproject.

Another "harder than it looks" project: build a major structure high in the sky, out of Heavy Clouds ("Cloud Blocks").  Unlike wooden planks, this doesn't consume any raw resources (so you can do it in any environment without constant imports), but the engineering to make something that seems like it's floating above your fort and the time investment to get the thousand plus cloud blocks needed is non-trivial.  Combine it with the ponyville-esque village and house all pegasi and pegasus-themed workshops (Cloud/rainbow related) in your cloud-constructed village (Deconstruct your starting weather factory once you can move it up).

@zacoda
The sorting station is a bit slow: I think it's a pretty low priority job, so it's easy to build up a backlog of thousands of apples from even a few trees you're using to train militia in kicking.  Either that, or sorting is slow and you need more sorters.  I was considering mentioning this, but I noticed I would occasionally get baskets of apples.

Try profiling the sorting station to one or two ponies and then disabling all their labors.  if one doesn't go sort despite being "no job", start turning on "logical" labors (plant gathering, plant processing) until one stops having "no job" and goes to sort apples. In any case, a sorter who can do no work other than apple-sorting with a profiled quality control should get through the backlog a little faster.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 22, 2013, 04:47:26 am »

A quick look at "reaction_apples.txt" reveals that:

Applebucking uses kicking, as it should.

Sorting apples and putting them in baskets both use Herbalism and are automatic, so just enable "Plant Gathering" on some ponies.

After that a kitchen can make 2 apple sauce per basket (with cooking) and a still can use it to make 10 apple cider (with brewing).

Once you learn to read the RAWs they are much faster and more precise than the forum at answering some questions.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know, I've been poking around in the raws of this again. It looks like Sorcerer forgot to add the description stuff for alicorns. So, I wouldn't advise attracting the monarch until he gets around to fixing that. (It's disturbing to look at her description and see absolutely nothing aside from her mane style.) I also went through and did the necessary search and replace to fix the errors with the mechanics skill and cutie marks. Pondering finally starting a new fort so I can take better advantage of some of the fixes that we've worked out for the raws.

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I made these for the last MLP mod, but I figured I'd go ahead and repost it since the old one is dead. I havn't made any changes to it, but they worked perfectly right off the bat for me. (I've been off of DF for awhile but I'm gonna get back into it.)
Quote from: tecknojock
My Little Fortress Sprite pack (18x18)

Now v.03

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Well, I managed to throw together some sprites and get them working in Dwarf fortress today.  Most of these sprites, however, were created from vectors from DA and are probably not optimized for dwarf fortress.  In the Zip, I have provided a PSD with all the sprites I used.

The sprites:

SS showing the sprites in use.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cant seem to attach so here's the link: Sprite Pack
I have included in the zip, the PSD with each of the individual sprites I used. I'm sure some of yall could do way better than me and so I encourage yall to spruce them up (especially since half way through I gave up on finding "appropriate ponies" and went with whatever ponies I had yet to use.)  The sprites are 18x18 as I am using them with IronHands Graphics.

If you want to Downsample it to a different size, I'd recommend using the "Nearest neighbor" option as it preserves sprites quite well.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:26:46 am by Tecknojock »

Pinnacle441

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

^

really cool, thanks man!

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.mediafire.com/?htgeazupw4mn81z Here's a link with the fixes that have been worked out in this thread. Hopefully, Sorcerer won't mind me sharing this as a quick fix until he can return and patch it properly.

(No, I haven't fixed the lack of description for alicorns. I don't know how to fix that.) But it contains fixes for the plants (potatoes lacking the mill tag, turnip seeds being labeled radish seeds, carrots are tweaked for any non-freezing biome, misspelled lettuce juice), the rainbow dye bugs, the bugged crystal mace reaction, the mechanics skill and mechanics cutie marks misspellings, the fleecesplosion bug, and has the cloud cloth and golden silk reactions added to the pony civ. Oh, and also added the cloth quiver and cloth backpack reactions to the pony civ as well. Just unzip and let it overwrite your raws folder.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Getting the other items to stockpile is a slight issue, as there is no stockpile tag in the material system, but the stockpile data is added as a property of something else. There are a few tags that are a bit more generic and I could use them to add stockpiling for things like the fleece and crystal shards, but I need to look into that a bit more.

I found that the Juice barrels weren't stockpiling, but if you edit material_template_pony.txt, go the [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:JUICE] entry, then add [LIQUID_MISC_PLANT] to the end, that fixes it.  I don't know if that has any side effects though, like letting it be used in weird reactions.  I doubt it, since that should just be for Dwarven Syrup, which is only used for cooking.

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm fine with the rainbow juice jugs sitting in the workshop until I want to use them. Less distance required for dragging them when I want to extract dye. (I tend to throw up the two workshops side by side.) I just need to get a new fort up and running so I can test some of the fixes that wouldn't work without a new world. (I haven't really played much in awhile. Been distracted with some other things.) The old fort I'm just going to leave in a quiet retirement, especially since I was down in the single digits FPS-wise.

Hopefully, I will never get saddled with a civ without plant cloth again. I lost too many good ponies to failed moods that wanted it. I've also got to be better at checking cutie marks, so I can make sure to give ponies appropriate jobs. (Let's just say I realized some ponies ended up with jobs they really weren't suited for. I wondered why their skill gain was so abysmally slow.)

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a similar issue but with leather, only my fort's requirement was much less quiet and much more fun.

Combine a berserk moody pony with no leather or fleece with the fact that I didn't notice my ponies were starving since all the food that the Z menu said I had couldn't be eaten raw and you've got a recipe for fun.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile

Hnnblrghlergh... It seems my notification has broken again and this thing has been popping up every now and then.. Thanks to everyone who's kept it alive and answered questions and posted fixes to stuff! As is probably fairly obvious, I took a new project to the knee and I have been utterly swamped for the last couple of months, looks to be slowing down to a more manageable pace now tho, and I should be able to get some decent development time in within the next few weeks... If I'm lucky I'll be able to have this fully updated just as Toady releases his new version :P

So anyways, sorry for yet another sudden and inexplicable disappearance, I'll try to at least let people know I'll be gone for a bit the next time but I *THOUGHT* this thing was idling in the lower reaches of the modding forum, as I was not receiving any updates.

I'll be doing a proper runthrough of this thread tomorrow, I see there's some clever fixes to various problems so I might just swipe those and credit where due. The primary goal now is to get that ever-postponed bugfix out the door and clear the plate so to speak, and from the looks of it, I'm going to have to update the documentation a bit too.

Now, there's something I've been thinking about with regards to this mod.. I've got a ton of ideas for it, but it seems not a lot of time to implement them all, and I know we have some modders and raw-savvy people here, so, suggestion: If someone wants to help out in ANY regard I'd be happy to throw stuff into the game.
So, I guess depending on how this idea is received the next version after the bug fix is out will be a community content patch.

For example, say If someone were to make a Fruit Bat creature, they would post it in the thread, and I would add that to the official version, and credit whoever made it.
added Fruitbats by generouspony

this request for help isn't really limited to creatures and the like, like i mentioned earlier the documentation is sorely in need of an update, and heck.. you can even give me suggestions for things to add and they might just make the feature list if I ever find the time to get cracking myself.

So yeah.. this is quite possibly the messiest post I have ever made.. I've written it over the course of several hours and I've lost any willpower to sanitize it any further..
Let me know what you think about the idea, and sorry again for my absence!

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 81