Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542959 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter One: Who's Laughing Now?
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2012, 06:11:08 pm »

((where is the -1 modifier coming from?))

Equip the weapon and armour, and carry on scouting.

((You are afflicted with the Wrath of Pacitarius, making you Hated By Nature and giving you a -1 to rolls made in the wilderness due to it resisting your advances. If you roll a 1, you'll be attacked by a wild animal! What fun!))

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2012, 06:16:55 pm »

Try to pickpocket some people for money and other useful things.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2012, 02:48:39 am »

"You idiot Samuel! I'll have you reported, wait reported."
Back to the town, to the guard station, report Bernie for illegal soul binding.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2012, 04:44:52 am »

Outside the lair of the most frustrated necromancer of all, Bernie von Glautzenheiser...

Bruce resolves to make Samuel's life even more miserable by heaping more verbal abuse at him!

"You idiot! What have you done? I'll have you reported, just you wait!"

He runs off!

[Bruce speedy traveling roll: 4]

He gets back to the inn in half an hour and proceeds to look for a guard station!

[Bruce search roll: 6]

There is no station, but a unit of twelve soldiers appears to have ridden into town for a drink! Bruce approaches them!

[Snitch, snitch, snitch on the evil necromancer: 6]

"Guards, you must help me!"

"What is the matter, stranger?"

Bruce stands still for a second. He realizes he doesn't actually know the skeleton's name. He decides to report Bernie instead!

"A necromancer most foul has taken residence in the Bradford family mausoleum! He is raising the dead, consorting with hellspawn, plundering treasures, kidnapping maidens and BINDING SOULS!"

"Oh, the humanity! Something must be done at once!"

"Yes, at once!"

"Let's ride! The necromancer must be apprehended!"

Bruce takes a seat behind one of the guards on horseback and they ride swiftly back to the mausoleum!

Samuel, meanwhile, feels a great sadness descend upon him as his skeletal butler dreams grow ever more distant and improbable. He decides to attempt to make his own fortune in the world by blundering into the woods like some kind of skeletal adventurer!

[Samuel adventuring roll: 2]

And boy, does he blunder or what. He blunders to the left, he blunders to the right, he blunders all around in many, many circles! Unsurprisingly, he doesn't find any ancient ruins or abandoned magic equipment! In fact, he doesn't find anything at all! Not even a wild animal to fight out of boredom and frustration! How utterly droll. He re-emerges from the woods an hour later, the disappointment on him almost palpable. There appear to be a lot of heavily-armed goons at the mausoleum. Huh.

In crazy country...

James, delighted at the new turns his life is taking, produces a toothless grin and loots the corpse of the unfortunate guard! It takes a while, but he gets all of the chainmail off and puts it on himself! Also, he pries the halberd from the guard's fingers, making this the second completely naked corpse (aside from himself) he's seen today! Flush with triumph, James decides to scout some more!

[James scouting roll: 1-1]

However, his plans are immediately ruined when he is set upon by...

[Deadly creature roll: 2]

... a wild hare!

[Hare vs. James: 4+1 vs. 1+2-1(surprised)]

The hare leaps into the air, as hares are wont to do, and goes for James' unprotected face, savaging it greatly! It keeps hanging on, biting, scratching and generally being unpleasant and diseased!

James is ugly now! He is also in dire peril!

Back at the inn...

Vincent, feeling left out by virtue of not having any meaningful amounts of money and awesome swag, decides to get in on all that sweet criminal action!

[Vincent pickpocketing roll: 4+1(contextual skeleton censor in place)]

He, exploiting the fact that he is currently subjected to an odd visual censor, walks around the entire inn, stealing from people to his heart's content. After making his rounds, he checks the loot:

23 gold coins, 57 copper coins, many keys, various notes, a box of snuff and what's this? Skip's spellbook, containing many complex spells of illusion! Score!

He sits down in his corner, beaming with joy at the tremendous loads of loot in his lap! Just in time, in fact, to see Jordan enter, axe in hand and questions in mind.

[Jordan searching roll: 5]

He approaches Skip Rogers!

"Hello, my good man. I say, do you happen to know anything about a man named Skip Rogers?"

Skip slightly recoils at the sight and smell of Jordan, but is too polite to say anything.

"Oh, you're one of those undead guys, right? You're in luck - I'm Skip Rogers, pleased to meet you."

"Jolly good! Tell me about yourself, will you?"

"Well, where should I start, I'm a magic user, and a good one at that, I've studied in the University of Magic for several years and am about to graduate. I'm in love with my girlfriend Tammy here, she's great."

"In love, you say? How marvelous! Are you engaged yet?"

"Well... uh..."

"Skip? What's the matter?"

"Well, there is something I need to say."

Skip faces Tammy, drops to one knee, takes out a box from his pocket and opens it! Inside is a beautiful ring!

"The real reason I've brought you all here tonight is this: Tammy, I love you with all of my heart and soul. You are the only woman in my life that has ever mattered. No other woman in any land compares to you in beauty, kindness or wisdom! This is the most important night of my life, and I'll be damned if I let Bernard von Glautzenheiser ruin it! Tammy Rutkowski, will you marry me?"

Tammy takes the ring and places it on her finger!

"Oh yes, Skip, as sure as you and I live, I will marry you!"

"Good show, chaps!"

[Jordan vs. Skip: 5+1 vs. 5-2 (surprised, oblivious with love)]

Jordan brings the axe down with a mighty swing! Skip's head is messily separated from his shoulders! It rolls in Tammy's direction!

[Inn reaction roll: 3]

Tammy collapses crying in front of Skip's headless corpse! The room goes silent! Jordan picks up the head by its golden locks and begins to stroll out of the inn, whistling on the way! However, Philip and some of the mages aren't done with him!

[Philip telekinesis roll: 2]
[Mage 1 fireball roll: 3 (inebriated)]
[Mage 2 lightning bolt roll: 1 (inebriated)]

Philip attempts to crush Jordan, but his inexperience with ghostdom clearly shows as he struggles to even nudge him a tiny bit! A mage launches a massive fireball, but it goes wide and hits a wall next to the entrance, setting it on magical fire! A third attacker makes lightning arc from his fingers in Jordan's direction!

[Jordan reaction to lightning bolt: 6]

Jordan turns around and raises his one true friend and companion: his axe! The lightning strikes it, but something must have gone wrong in the casting of the spell, as it does not fry him instantly, but makes the axe glow and spark!

Jordan points the axe at the three assailants! An arc of lightning comes out from the tip! It strikes Philip!

[Philip's resistance to lightning: 2-1(surprised)]

Philip is caught completely unprepared by the massive amounts of magical current! It courses through his incorporeal form, delivering massive punishment to his unlife-essence! Philip's ghostly presence blinks for a few moments, then disappears!

Philip is dispersed!

[Mages' morale roll: 1]

The mages, still drunk and faced with a crazy zombie that shoots lightning, rapidly wave their arms and disappear in a puff of smoke!

Jordan calmly walks out of the inn.

[Fire roll: 2]

As he does so, the fire spreads along the inn! Well, that's not Jordan's problem anymore, he supposes.

"I say, that was easy!"

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:03:46 am by Harry Baldman »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2012, 05:00:28 am »

((Wow, that's one bloody turn.))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2012, 05:25:22 am »

((Indeed. Just how I like my turns!))

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2012, 07:11:53 am »

((Dang.))Run out of the burning building and catch up with Jordan and show him what I've gotten.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2012, 08:38:18 am »

"O.K. Guys whats the plan?"
Follow whatever plan the guards come up with
((Damn it, that was depressing.))
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2012, 10:33:03 am »

((Faffing about for the first four turns does have it's benefits, it seems.))

Take the head back to Bernie, zapping anyone who dares to interrupt me. Politely, of course.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2012, 10:57:18 am »

Jordan, you are SO GODDAMN COOL.

Samuel will head back to the Necromancer as well, and team up with the awesome undead-guys-on-bernies-side, and slaughter anything that gets in his way.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2012, 11:02:16 am »

((I am now a badass gentleman zombie. My dream has come true.))
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2012, 12:27:07 pm »

At the inn...

As the inn merrily burns away, Vincent decides to flee the scene of the tragedy before anyone has noticed him! Valuables in hand, he runs outside and joins Jordan, showing him the amazing loot he's gathered. Jordan politely voices his approval! Oh, joyous day!

[Jordan speedy travel roll: 6-1]

[Vincent speedy traveling roll: 3]

The way things are going, Jordan can't help but break into a quick zombie trot, allowing him to reach the mausoleum in no time at all, but unfortunately leaving Vincent behind! However, there are uncouth louts, eleven halberdiers and one officer with a sword by the looks of them, in his way when he gets there, oh my!

At the besieged lair of Bernard von Glautzenheiser, Lord of the Undead...

Yes, that most certainly will not do! Jordan, unwilling to just up and fight a whole lot of goons at once, decides to attempt the lightning trick again!

[Jordan's lightning trick roll: 3]

He huffs, he puffs, he concentrates, but alas, no lightning comes out of his axe. It does begin to glow slightly, though. Oh well, guess they'll just have to slaughtered the old-fashioned way. He does feel a bit exposed, being all alone against twelve people.

However, this feeling is replaced by the warm glow of true kinship when Samuel approaches him from behind and puts his hand on Jordan's shoulder! He manages to impart an understanding only shared by two brutal murderers, showing that they indeed are brothers, though their mothers and fathers differ. Bolstered by their mutual bond, they proceed to the group, ready to cleave their way through it.

"So, what is the plan, guys?" Bruce asks the soldiers, who are currently milling about indecisively.

[Planning roll: 2]

The officer seems struck by a realization.

"A plan. Right. We really should have one, shouldn't we?"

He begins to think.

[Jordan vs. Officer: 1+2 vs. 6]

An axe whizzes past his head! The officer leaps away!

[Landing roll: 4]

He lands on his feet, a mite unsteady but no less ready to kill undead!

[Officer vs. Jordan: 4 vs. 6-1]

He stabs at Jordan with his sword! It goes into Jordan's flesh! He attempts to pull it out, but can't!

[Jordan vs. Officer: 3+2 vs. 3-1]

Jordan swings his axe along the officer's head, slicing off his ear, then his arm!

[Officer will roll: 2]

The officer rolls backward, letting go of his sword and clutching his arm that is currently spurting blood!

"Gah, you cut my bloody arm off, you bastard!"

"Why, so I did! Perhaps we should go for symmetry, what do you think?"

As the soldiers look on in momentary puzzlement, Samuel springs into action!

[Samuel vs. Halberdier 1: 2+1 vs. 1]

He whacks a halberdier on the head! The halberdier sprawls out on the ground, dizzy but still conscious!

[Halberdier competence roll: 5]

The halberdiers immediately spring into action like cogs in a well-oiled machine, with five of them choosing to concentrate on Jordan, the other five trying to take down Samuel! Two of each group charge at their respective adversaries while the others position themselves for optimum stabbing and chopping potential!

[Halberdier 2 vs. Samuel: 3+1 vs. 5+1]

Another halberdier charges at Samuel, but the skeleton dodges like the devil himself, swinging his cane in a counterattack!

[Samuel vs. Halberdier 2: 2+1 vs. 5+1]

However, he has slightly miscalculated the distance and simply swings at empty air!

[Halberdier 3 vs. Samuel: 4+1 vs. 2+1]

Another halberdier tries to skewer him, but, considering that skeletons are difficult to pierce adequately, merely chips the bone a bit! Samuel is slightly distraught at his bodywork damage.

[Halberdier 4 vs. Jordan: 1 vs. 5-1]

Jordan is also set upon by a halberdier! This one, however, obviously a fresh recruit, simply trips on an inconveniently placed tree root and falls to the ground!

[Jordan vs. Halberdier 4: 1+2 vs. 3-1]

Jordan chops at the halberdier awkwardly, being a bit too far to do any real damage. He does, however, make a small chop in the recruit's calf!

[Halberdier 5 vs. Jordan: 3+1 vs. 5-1]

Jordan parries the attacker's halberd with his axe! The halberdier takes a careful step back!

[Halberdier positioning roll: 5]

The other six halberdiers position themselves perfectly for a three-pronged sneak attack on both undead warriors!

Bruce, currently indecisive about what he should do, is joined by Vincent, though he doesn't really notice him.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2012, 12:30:25 pm »

"Well this isn't going well."
Bruce will grab any weapons that may have been dropped/ any lost limbs and join the attack on these spineless fools (the other undead)
So how are you today?

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2012, 12:37:52 pm »

Samuel will resume the attack! Target any humans that are weakened, injured and/or near death!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2012, 12:46:31 pm »

((Looks like my turn will be coming up sooner than expected. *insert evil laugh here*))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 719