Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542692 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter One: Who's Laughing Now?
« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2012, 07:30:17 am »

In the increasingly vampire-infested woods...

James, realizing that he and the hare now share a bond of blood, tries to convert it to the vampire cause!

[James' vampire speech roll: 2-1+1-1-1]

James presses the hanging remains of his face together with his hands, making a horrible grimace, yet not improving his eloquence at all!

"Haeah! Zhoinh mah fah thoo ah ah shy-aye!"

[Hare morale roll: 6]

The hare realizes that James would probably prefer being dead after what's already been done to him. He decides to put him out of his misery! All his guilt is gone!

[Hare vs. James: 6+2 vs. 5+1+1-1-1]

Despite James' expert defense, the hare chews through his armor in several places! James is bleeding quite badly! He decides to perform Rapid Kinetic Impulse Therapy on himself!

[RKIT roll: 4-1]

James begins punching himself a lot! It hurts like hell and doesn't help at all!

[Hare confusion resistance roll: 3]

The hare, despite being insane itself, is beginning to doubt James' state of mind! Must be something in that old blood of his! The hair is unsure of what to do now!

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2012, 07:43:12 am »

DAMMINIT! DAMMINIT DAMMINIT DAMMINIT DAMMINIT DAMMINIT!
Persuade the hare that it's my slave!

((this is getting really desperate. A hare as well...))
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2012, 08:09:59 am »

At the site of a nigh-hopeless battle...

James has a desperate idea! How about convincing the hare that it is his slave?

[James bluffing roll: 4-3]

James attempts to mumble something about ghouls, but his lack of a face and teeth prevents him from doing so!

[Hare vs. James: 5+2 vs. 5]

The hare keeps biting and scratching James with vampiric alacrity! James is in pretty bad shape now!

[James will roll: 3-1]

James feels confused and questions reality!

[Commotion roll: 6]

A voice rings out from the house:

"Retreat, creatures of DARKNESS! CEASE your lurking ar-AH-und my house! If you do not LEAVE, you shall taste the MIGHT of my PYOO-rifying DENTISTRY!"

[Hare morale roll: 5-3]

The hare shivers in fear at the voice! It begins to retreat! It is shaken!

[James morale roll: 2-1-1]

James, feeling like the world is out to get him, similarly chooses to run like hell!

[James escape roll: 2-1]

He trips on a tree root that he swears wasn't there before! Damn you, Pacitarius, why must you be such an asshole at the worst times!

[James will roll: 2-1]

James passes out!

[? roll: 3]

He wakes up some time later! He is currently being dragged by someone!

"LOUSY creatures of the NIGHT, leaving cryptic MESSAGES on MY doorstep!"

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:13:33 am by Harry Baldman »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 31, 2012, 08:14:26 am »

'What messages? I'm new here.
Oh, and thanks for saving me from that vampiric hare. That was totally awesome.'

((inform him of my ignorance, and flatter him))
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 31, 2012, 08:26:01 am »

((Damnit. I was hoping that my turn would aproach earlier))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2012, 08:27:05 am »

(Wow... that was brutal... well at least I died being a hero.)
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 31, 2012, 08:46:47 am »

Somewhere in the woods...

James is currently being dragged by something very frightening...

[James' speech roll: 1-3]

He gurgles! He burbles! He attempts to make coherent conversation! He succeeds at the first two!

[? reaction roll: 4+1+1+1-1]

[Wild animal attack: 1]

The strange person is about to say something about it, but is interrupted by a descending bird! He catches it and eats it, feathers and all!

"Oh my, you're ALIVE! How STRANGE! You don't SEEM to be BREA-thing, do you know THAT?"

James makes incoherent sounds!

"MY, my, you APPEAR to have no TEETH! WAIT, I re-MEM-ber! I TOOK them, didn't I?"

James nods furiously!

I KNEW IT! And you WISH to get them back!

James tries to approve however he can!

"I am SORRY, but your TEETH are far too be-YOO-tiful to release from DENTAL CUSTODY! AHAHAHAH! I WILL, however, give you SOMETHING BETTER!"

James wishes to ask something about this "something better", but a heavy truncheon hits him in the skull!

[Something better roll: 3]

Several hours later he wakes up outside the now-extinguished, but mostly abandoned inn! He checks all his belongings and finds he doesn't have any anymore! Apart from a note nailed to his stomach, that is.

The note says: CONFISCATED VALUABLE EVIDENCE AGAINST FORCES OF DARKNESS IN RETURN FOR MEDICAL SERVICES!!!

His halberd and chainmail are gone! However, he does appear to have gotten something back: teeth! And a face! Neither originally belonged to him, though. The teeth are horribly mismatched and have obviously come from many different human and animal sources! His new face is obviously stolen and poorly stitched on top of where the old one used to be! Oh well, you take what you can get.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:58:04 am by Harry Baldman »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 31, 2012, 09:13:16 am »

That went... Okay...
Practise speaking, before looting the abandoned inn.

EDIT - ACTION CHANGED
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:34:02 am by TopHat »

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2012, 10:09:36 am »

(Wow... that was brutal... well at least I died being a hero.)

Ha! Hero! PHBBT!

Ask if a reward for the head could be for Bernie to enchant my Axe permanently!
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2012, 10:47:42 am »

Grr. Where do you live, on the opposite side of the world from me? You ALWAYS MASS-UPDATE when I'm sleeping. Grr!

Samuel will try and practice that "Foci". He'll stare at his cane with a withering skeleton stare, and  try to turn it into an object of Focus, so as to help him cast Magic!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2012, 01:38:05 pm »

Grr. Where do you live, on the opposite side of the world from me? You ALWAYS MASS-UPDATE when I'm sleeping. Grr!

((Eastern Europe, actually. So yes, presumably! But it was mostly James-centric stuff, so as to not keep the rest of you guys waiting later on and to capitalize on the fact that TopHat is up and about. Well, that and Bruce got stabbed to death, but it's funnier to think that nobody noticed except Vincent. That's what I like about the turnless system: timezones are less of a bother. For the GM, that is.))

At the inn, now extinguished and not very on fire at all...

James, emboldened by his new face, decides to practice his public speaking!

[James speech roll: 6]

James launches into a magnificent tirade of extremely persuasive oratory! He denounces the authority of the Five Gods and provides many valid reasons for him doing so! Despite nobody being around, a crowd gathers around him very soon! They cheer at appropriate moments, nod in approval at certain times and soon are completely enthralled by the naked vampire with the stolen face, creepy teeth and glowing stomach!

"... so that, my friends and fellow citizens, is why you do not trust the Five Gods! They can say that they love you all, but that very second they will afflict you with all sorts of maladies! Look at me, my friends! Look! Am I not hideous?"

"Very hideous!"

"Quite repulsive indeed!"

"He made my young 'uns cry! All of them! Even the soldier!"

"Yes, I am as hideous as the day is short this time of year! How would you react if I told you that this is the work of none other than Pacitarius, the so-called 'Gentle Child of the Five'?"

Everybody gasps (including James, for dramatic effect)!

"The proof is incontrovertible! Pacitarius is not gentle at all! He is a vile god, and by following him you are damning yourself to a life of serving pure evil!"

"But... no! This cannot be!"

"Oh, but it is! If I am speaking but a single lie, may the Five strike me down!"

[Divine retribution roll: 3+1]

Nothing happens! The wrath of Pacitarius seems to be curiously absent!

"He speaks the truth!"

"Yes! Damn that Pacitarius! Damn the Five!"

[Divine retribution roll: 4]

Still nothing happens!

"The gods have no power over us! We are free men!"

"And women!"

"Yes, we are free women as well!"

"Left is right! Up is down! The world is ending!"

"The world is ending?"

"The world is ending! Every man for himself!"

"And woman!"

[Civil disorder roll: 4]

The villagers start heartily looting and robbing the surrounding area! Somebody finds a torch! Mass burning starts! Soon enough Richardsburgh is entirely on fire!

"Men of freedom!"

"And women!"

"If we are free from gods, why not lords as well?"

"Aye, why not?"

"Are you going to kill them?"

"We're going to kill the lords! Hooray! Lead us, oh fearless leader! Enlighten us, oh mighty prophet!"

[James speech roll: 6]

"Right! Make haste, my flock! The lord of the land must be slain by dawn! Storm his castle, kill the court! Enlighten any villages on the way! Make them see that the world has no true, worthy gods and that we, the people, have no true, worthy masters! Let each be his own god and master, for only thus we can achieve heaven on earth! Let none stop you, for your reward shall be paradise!"

They all shout in unison!

"FOR THE PROPHET!"

James excluded, they all storm off! James feels like he has become a confident heretic!

With that done, he goes off to loot the inn. Sadly, the inn is already looted. And burned down. Then looted again. Oh well.

At the lair of the uncommonly generous Bernie von Glautzenheiser...

"I say, m'lord, I think I've got it!"

"What?"

"The boon, fair chap!"

"What about the boon?"

"I wish to have my axe enchanted!"

"Sure, why not. After all, it is the reason I have good ol' Skip's brainpan here. In fact, I think I have a particular enchantment in mind to fit the occasion!"

He grabs both Skip's head and spellbook from their respective carriers!

[Attunement roll: 3+1]

He gestures at the spellbook with one hand, keeping his other hand on Skip's head! The spellbook glows and sparks for a second, then floats into Bernie's hand!

"It worked, great! Heh, now I suppose I can exact revenge on certain other elements of my life. But first, your reward!"

[Enchantment roll: 3+1]

Magical energies course through the axe! However, there are no immediately apparent changes!

"I say, that was a pretty show of fireworks. How about the axe itself?"

"Pick it up. Swing it."

Jordan picks up the axe and swings at the air! As he does so, he seems to relocate slightly to the right! Or at least his image does!

Jordan now has a Displacement Axe!

"Jolly good! But does it work against those ghost things?"

"It doesn't really matter what sort of magic a weapon possesses, just that it has any to it - that immediately allows it to reach ethereal entities."

"Good show, m'lord, good show indeed!"

Samuel, not willing to lose an arms race, decides to attempt to create a focus out of his cane!

[Samuel magical crafting roll: 6-2]

He concentrates as hard as an animated skeletal corpse can, which is to say very hard indeed! There must be residual magical energies aplenty in the room, because the cane begins to glow after a few minutes of intense staring! It seems to become an extension of Samuel's psyche - murderous, servile, curious and adventurous at the same time! After expending so much will, Samuel is unwilling to let it go!

[Resist the urge to brag: 1-1]

Samuel dances over to Bernie, cane in hand!

"What are you on about?"

He shows his cane!

"That's a focus! Where'd you get that?"

Samuel proudly raises his head and points at himself!

"You... killed someone to get it? Well, that's not terribly surprising. On your way, then."

Samuel is about to argue with Bernie, but fortunately cannot speak! Well, at least he himself knows he conjured an artifact of power out of what is essentially thin air!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:40:08 pm by Harry Baldman »

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2012, 01:49:00 pm »

T-the dice! They scream to me! They scream of the horrors you have put them through...Also, woo-hoo, lucky six.

Samuel will practice with his stick, and is going to seriously try and reduce the number of -2's to, hopefully, a 0 or, at the very least, -1 when doing magical things. Seriously, how often will he get sixes?

If Sam is a skeletal butler, he NEEDS to be able to conjure up food and drink, without fail. He NEEDS to be able to defend his master in any time of need. He NEEDS to have POWER.

Also, Skeleton mages are cool as hell, and if you say it's not possible, go play Diablo 2 or Torchlight or something, then report back to me. Think about it: A skeletal necromancer!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:53:17 pm by Caerwyn »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2012, 01:53:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
See all those 1s for the past 5 turns? THIS COULD BE YOUR FATE, RANDOM.ORG USERS (but it's being nice at the moment so good for me)

((After about 11 pages of getting mauled by cardsharps, the gods, some weird dentist and THAT GODDAM HARE, I end up starting a revolution. This could be interesting))
Take advantage of the anarchy sown by my minions to loot the local guardhouse.
((I'm also thinking of doing something that is probably so outrageous as to get me railroaded. Details will be sent to Harry in a PM))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 31, 2012, 01:55:18 pm »

Also, Skeleton mages are cool as hell, and if you say it's not possible, go play Diablo 2 or Torchlight or something, then report back to me. Think about it: A skeletal necromancer!

((Even in DnD necromancers tend to try and become liches! That's how cool skeletal mages are!))

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 31, 2012, 01:57:33 pm »

((Even in DnD necromancers tend to try and become liches! That's how cool skeletal mages are!))

Then stop inhibiting poor Sam, and let his natural talent at evisceration and conjuration be complete!

But, dang, those -2's really hurt. Is there a way to potentially "Train", to lower the costs for magic? What's the penalty difference for, say, ripping the skeleton out of someone, compared to mentally tossing a sharp stick at them? So many questions!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 719