Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542933 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter One: Who's Laughing Now?
« Reply #180 on: October 31, 2012, 02:02:55 pm »

((The -2 was for crafting a focus - something which Samuel had absolutely no clue how to do aside from "Magic, silly!". Actual magic, however, will be slightly easier - that merely requires to operate your focus, not to create an artifact through sheer force of will.))

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2012, 02:05:14 pm »

Oh. Well then, I'm pretty happy I got a six, and not, say, a 3. If I can ask, what COULD a beginning practitioner of the Magical arts do at an early level? I'm not expecting to summon demons anytime soon, but it would be pretty cool to have a form of psychokinesis, say hurling stones or sharp sticks at high velocities? That should prove useful.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2012, 02:17:47 pm »

((Cane magic! After all, your focus is a cane and not, say, a spellbook. It might behave unpredictably.))

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2012, 02:18:40 pm »

((Cane magic! After all, your focus is a cane and not, say, a spellbook. It might behave unpredictably.))

Cane...Magic. Huh.

Well, for better or for worse, it's time to become a spell-weaver!

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2012, 02:23:28 pm »

I say, this is an amazing breakthrough in Weaponry.

Ask about the next assignment.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2012, 03:50:31 pm »

Ask for tutoring in the ability of magic.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2012, 04:22:18 pm »

At the remains of Richardsburgh...

James, capitalizing on the anarchy he has sown through clever rhetoric, decides to find and loot a guardhouse! He is most disappointed to find that there isn't one! Just as well, if there really was one, it probably would have been burned down anyway.

At the lair of the magnificent Bernie the Necromancer...

Samuel, feeling very good about himself after achieving what is essentially a miracle, decides to attempt to weave magic with his cane focus!

[Samuel magic roll: 6-1]

He points the cane at the corpse he propped up against the wall earlier!

[Magic effect roll: 1]

A single floating cane appears from thin air and begins to beat the stuffing out of the corpse! It does so for about thirty seconds before disappearing once more!

Samuel has learned to summon a cane storm!

Vincent, being in a very original mood, picks up the sheet of paper Samuel wrote his wish on and shows it to Bernie!

[Bernie benevolence roll: 5+1-1-1]

"Oh, gods, not you too! Magic can't just be taught to someone! You need a focus! Rob a mage or something like the other skeleton did and steal his. Bam. Magic. It's that simple. Any more than that I can't help with, since magic is a highly personalized and unique thing. That's why you need to attune a focus to yourself - it was made for someone else first. If that was the reward you were going to ask for, then pick something else. I certainly can't teach you magic."

Jordan feels that there has been enough dilly-dallying, and it is time for a new assignment!

"I say, that axe is amazing! A true breakthrough in weaponry! But enough gushing over magical trinkets! To the task at hand, I say!"

"The task at hand?"

"Yes, the task at hand! Surely you have many opportunities for enterprising gentlemen such as myself!"

"Well, I wasn't sure that you'd kill Skip, to be honest. I am glad, however, that things worked out to our advantage! Your performance has been more than adequate. Relax for now. Take a rest. Soon I might have a task for you."

"Will it be suitably bloody, dear chap?"

"Oh, you bet. In the meantime, why don't you ask if my sister has any tasks for you?"

End of Chapter 1!

Congratulations! You have survived the first chapter of Life Begins At Death! For this amazing accomplishment, you are granted character progression! Each of you can choose an ability from a list of three that ties in with what you did during the chapter!

The choices are:

Jordan: Gentleman Slayer, Skilled Axeman, Anti-Magic Axemanship.

Samuel: Tactical Atrocity, Skilled Cane Fighter, Knack for Magic.

Vincent: Blends In Surprisingly Well, Aspiring Thief, Trick The Enemy.

James: Rapid Kinetic Impulse Therapy, Willfully Ignored By The Five, Rebound From Misfortune.

These abilities, among others, will be obtainable at the end of the next chapter as well. So don't be sorry for being unable to get one of the ones listed here, they won't be gone forever.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:53:14 am by Harry Baldman »

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 31, 2012, 04:26:36 pm »

I think I'll take..Gentleman Slayer. Could prove for some hilarious situations.

Go talk to Bernie's Sister.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 31, 2012, 04:42:38 pm »

Aah... The choices...
I'll go for Rebound from misfortune!
Look for something that hasn't been burnt down, and loot it!
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 31, 2012, 05:06:35 pm »

Ask for a longer tail.
EDIT: I choose Blends In Surprisingly Well
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 01, 2012, 03:27:43 am »

At the burnt remains of Richardsburgh...

James, having obtained new confidence in life, refuses to give up on the ancient custom of 'loot what you destroy'! He looks for something that isn't burnt down!

[James searching roll: 2]

Those villagers sure were thorough! They've burnt down everything! Even the basements (how do you even do that?)! They've also taken apart any stone walls stone by stone! Whatever place they were heading for next is surely in great danger. Heresy is a powerful force, it seems!

In the lair of the currently unoccupied Bernie von Glautzenheiser...

Vincent suddenly knows what he must have! A tail! A better one! One that's longer and can grab things better! He writes out his wish on a piece of paper and shows it to Bernie!

[Literary eloquence roll: 6]

Most Honored and Dear Master,

Recently you, in your neverending generosity and kindness, decided to allow me, a pathetic worm that hardly deserves even a smidgen of your attention, to ask for a boon of sorts from you. After establishing that I am truly unworthy of the secrets of magic and that you would not (your Excellence maintained that your Excellence could not, but I know your Excellence was merely trying to spare the wretched author's feelings, for is there anything your Excellence cannot do?) teach me to use cosmically powerful forces, I was struck with a flash of inspiration! A tail! My own wretched, mundane tail is of no use to me in its current state, so I deign to ask of his Excellence but a small favor - could your Excellence provide this worm of a servant with a longer, more grabby tail to better serve his Master?

Sincerely,
Vincent, Your Excellency's most humble servant

Vincent presents the note to Bernie!

[Attention roll: 4+1]

Bernie immediately takes and reads the note with great attention! When he's done, he stuffs it in his pocket!

"Fine groveling, my minion! Perhaps the finest I've seen! Vincent, your name was? I'll make sure to remember that!"

He writes out a note:

Sister, this is my minion Vincent. His good performance and fine manners have made him greatly favored in my eyes! Improve his tail until it is at least as useful as an arm! I will make sure to inspect your work.

Signed, your brother.

He gives the note to Vincent and sends him to his sister! Jordan, feeling spiffy as ever, follows him!

Vincent and Jordan enter the cottage! Bernie's sister is still there with her twitching grin and odd posture, reading a book on corpse preserving.

[Attention roll: 3+1]

Sis looks at Jordan, then at Vincent! Vincent provides his note!

"Greatly favored, are we? Interesting. So, you wish for a better tail? How is it you have a tail to begin with?"

Vincent shrugs!

"Ah. Must be from birth. This will be fun!"

She takes Vincent by the hand and leads him back into the mausoleum!

"I say, I had a question for you, young lady!"

She takes no notice of him! Jordan decides to follow behind her.

She goes into the mausoleum, but takes a slightly different route than Bernie. Eventually she and the two minions reach a slightly smaller hall than Bernie's. This one, however, is better furnished, with many shelves containing strange liquids, preserved body parts, what look like modified carpenter's tools, tongs, surgical equipment and other sorts of unusual objects. There is a slab that appears to have recently been used for surgery in the middle of the room.

"Welcome to my playground. Cozy, innit?"

She motions to the slab.

"Lie down, Vincent."

Vincent does so! Meanwhile, Bernie's sister puts on a leather apron and fetches some tools along with what appears to be a skeletal arm.

[Surgery roll: 4+1]

She begins to put her tools to work, laying Vincent face-down.

"It sure is a fun little tail you have there, Vincent. Did you know that all people have tails? It's just that they're tiny little stubs that don't even protrude from the skin. Yours, on the other hand, is a completely different matter."

"I say, milady, would you care to..."

"Don't interrupt a lady while she does her work, please."

"Right, then. I should probably fetch my fine friend, too."

"Feel free."

Jordan walks off while the sister works her magic. When he returns with Samuel, who is still playing around with his magic cane, Vincent is up from the table! His tail is now less of a tail and more like a third arm, but longer and quite powerful-looking!

"I think Bernie wouldn't have any objections to this bit of modification, don't you?"

"So, milady, your brother asked us to perform a task for you, and..."

"Is that all of you, then? Weren't there six?"

"Well, yes, there were six, milady, but I seem to have violently disposed of at least one while two more remain lost."

"Three left, huh? Oh well, we can fix that."

She pokes her head out of the room.

"BERNIE! DON'T YOU THINK YOU NEED MORE MINIONS? HALF OF THEM ARE GONE!"

""DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO, WOMAN! THAT IS NOT THE NATURE OF OUR RELATIONSHIP!"

There is a moment of silence.

"YOU DO HAVE A VALID POINT, THOUGH! I'LL BE RIGHT BACK!"

There is a faint *schwing* sound.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:07:30 am by Harry Baldman »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 01, 2012, 03:37:54 am »

This.... this is just bloody awesome!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 01, 2012, 03:42:53 am »

((What is?))

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 01, 2012, 03:49:19 am »

Head back to Bernie's lair, and be a great friend and loot Blake's corpse.

((quick question about the Char. Progression abilities - are they passive, or activated? And if activated, what is the cooldown?))
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 719