Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542910 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #4275 on: April 24, 2013, 08:36:36 am »

"Well my friend, seems the kind owner of that ship speaks telepathically, in one's mind or so they said. They told me that they would charge at the least a gold piece for coastal trips, two or three for anything longer, and four if we go into the Sea of Death. Friendly chap but very business like, to the point, but I think we can perhaps find cheaper, its always good to try and get a bargain! Shall we look around at the other ships?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: April 24, 2013, 11:52:50 am »

At the home of the Eight Old People...

Sigmund steps forth and walks right up to Niklas, then joins into the discussion.

"Greetings, I see that you have already met Chef Niklas. Let me introduce myself, I'm Sigmund, Sigmund GrimDrake, I served a noble family until recent events forced me to leave. May I ask what were you talking about? Also, I'm intrigued by these two shiny animals, how did you manage to get them?"

"Oh, we were just talking about the fey werewolf that keeps hounding us. Weird little cuss, that one."

"As for the animals, we magicked them up. Simple as that."

Meanwhile, Niklas begins rubbing his palms in excitement.

"A fey? A FEYHOUND! Those are excellent! EHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE... Anyhow, do you have a boatship? We need it for the trickster god who's enslaved us."

"No, sorry, we don't. We tend to use magical flight rather than boats whenever possible. Much handier and faster. And no seasickness or hostility from the natives to deal with, either. I think we I have a stone of levitation or some such around. There was a 2 for 1 sale when we bought them, and I didn't need one, so I suppose I could hand it to you people. I think it might need a release of energy, anyway. Been collecting dust and unstable power for a while now."

At that exact moment, Rubun thunders past the two undead, cowering behind them from the two ferocious beasts trailing him. Said ferocious beasts then gently nudge the two undead creatures aside and set upon the feyhound! They don't seem to do well, as the bunny misaims its attack and accidentally bites the dog, who doesn't particularly mind, it seems, though it is rather badly bloodied in the process.

"Bertha, give the rabbit a pick-me-up, will you?"

"Sure thing."

[Bertha magic roll: 6]

The silver bunny roars mightily, a bright light beginning to shine from its eyes! It starts to move extremely quickly, almost faster than the eye can see! It then tries to bite Rubun, who, surprisingly enough, dodges rather easily! In fact, it's the dog that seems to score a good nibble on it. Odd.

At the docks of Shriekpot...

Morton keeps up the conversation for but a little bit longer.

"Hm, thank you, kind sir or madam, I shall inform my master of such fees, he may find them fitting to his budget. I wish you clear skies and calm seas, as they say."

~I wish you very much the same. Hopefully we can come to an agreement.~

He nods and goes up to Kevin, who pauses his examination of the mighty crossbow to look at him quizzically.

"So then, onward to new vessels of the sea? I'm sure we can find one reasonably priced."

Kevin points to the ship behind them, as if demanding an explanation.

"Well, my friend, seems the kind owner of that ship speaks telepathically, in one's mind or so they said. They told me that they would charge at the least a gold piece for coastal trips, two or three for anything longer, and four if we go into the Sea of Death. Friendly chap but very business like, to the point, but I think we can perhaps find cheaper, its always good to try and get a bargain! Shall we look around at the other ships?"

Kevin manages some sort of half-shrug.

At a flying ship of some kind...

Scott keeps up the bargaining.

"The price is reasonable, we will probably like to sail either today or tomorrow, and I would like written assurance that we will be your preferred passengers and that none else shall sail."

"Very well then. A written assurance you shall have, then. But you had better be ready soon, as I really do not have more than a week of time."

He takes out a sheet of parchment from his coat pocket and quickly drafts up a message on it with a luxurious fountain pen. He is done after a few minutes.

"Here you go," he says, handing the assurance slip to Scott.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:03:35 pm by Harry Baldman »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: April 24, 2013, 12:00:03 pm »

((Wait, did telepathic-captain talk in normal text? :P))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: April 24, 2013, 12:04:24 pm »

((Wait, did telepathic-captain talk in normal text? :P))

Do you see, Xanmyral, what your insistence on primitive ape sound-speech has wrought? Nothing will be the same again!

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: April 24, 2013, 12:11:51 pm »

Sigmund watched with amusement the battle between the giant animals and the mountruous dog, bu t he felt like he had o say something, to show that he cared at least a little bit about Niklas:
-Niklas, it seems that your pet is having some trouble here.

He then spoke to the mages:
-So, you say that you own a stone with the ability of making us fly to wherever destination we want? I have to say that I'm interested. Would you care to explain us a bit more about said stone?

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: April 24, 2013, 12:16:20 pm »

[I REGRET NOTHING! Although I will see if I can work on being telepathic too, maybe I can ask the captain about that later. Heck, maybe Kevin can learn too, that way he can speak as well.

Also, seems the sky pirate flying vessel captain is sneaky with his words... Thirty per head, which means a silver and five bronze per head. Which means for eleven of us is two gold, three silver, and five copper for all of us. Since I can only imagine that the land of dreams is interesting though, it would instead be fifteen copper per head. So a total of one gold, one silver and fifteen copper, or one hundred and sixty five copper. Yeah, that's still much cheaper than the telepathic captain, but I still don't trust the flying ship guy. Gonna get shanghaied is my bet.]

"Well, that's an interesting thing there, where did you get such a fascinating thing, my good comedian? Very nice, I'd count myself lucky if I were you to find such a trinket." Morton marveled at the crossbow before looking at the other ships. "But come along Sir Kevin, we have much else to do and many to talk to, more people to meet and more sea air to taste!" He stars making his way to finding other ships that look suitable.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: April 24, 2013, 12:21:45 pm »

Kevin follows Morton to look at some more ships.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: April 24, 2013, 12:27:36 pm »

((There aren't bronze coins, there are copper ones. Also, it would be best if we could calculate things with copper coins, guys, it is too much trouble to think in exchange rates, even with one so simple as this one. Oh, and our current funds are 131 copper (Sigmund: 73. Scott: 15. Mark: 43). If the mages have  more money we can take the floating ship!))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: April 24, 2013, 12:34:16 pm »

[Eh, when it comes to low coinage in fantasy games I interchangeably use the words "copper" and "bronze" because I've seen them used both for that slot quite often. Its obvious what I was talking about however, but semantics are semantics.

Yeah, I counted up how much we had a bit ago, just a bit more of a push and we can get it, and I agree on just calculating everything in copper, makes it easier. I'm sure we can--Wait, if mages can summon silver or gold why are we bothering with this? Just get them to summon us a slab of gold or something.]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:35:51 pm by Xanmyral »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: April 24, 2013, 02:08:33 pm »

At the home of some old mages...

Sigmund is intrigued by this... stone of levitation.

"So, you say that you own a stone with the ability of making us fly to wherever destination we want? I have to say that I'm interested. Would you care to explain us a bit more about said stone?"

"Well, yes. That is what I am insinuating. It doesn't navigate, of course - you have to do that for yourself. Also, it's just a stone, meant to be worn as an amulet. You could probably give something else the ability to float with it, though, provided you secure it right and get an additional control mechanism. You want one, maybe? Mine might be a bit unstable, unused as it has been. Could work, though."

Sigmund nods. He then looks at the dog, who doesn't to be enjoying itself.

"Niklas, it seems that your pet is having some trouble here."

At the docks of Shriekpot...

Morton takes a good look at Kevin's crossbow. Such an interesting contraption.

"Well, that's an interesting thing there, where did you get such a fascinating thing, my good comedian? Very nice, I'd count myself lucky if I were you to find such a trinket. But come along, Sir Kevin, we have much else to do and many to talk to, more people to meet and more sea air to taste!"

They both then look for more ships that may be suitable for their needs. There's a fairly nice-looking merchant vessel at the docks. Looks like a decent enough ship, Morton would say. Though rather small, it also looks pretty quick and easy to fully crew.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: April 24, 2013, 02:27:14 pm »

Sigmund smiled, after all, he just had to ask politely and that thing would be his!

Well, if it doesn't bother you giving it to me. That stone could be a very nice alternative to affording a ship, as we are currently short of money. But, if it is not useful anymore for you, I shall take it, I'm sure that we'll find a good use for that little artifact.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: April 24, 2013, 02:35:00 pm »

Incidentally, would you mind if I killed your animals and fed their carcasses to the dog?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: April 24, 2013, 02:53:04 pm »

Sigmund looked to Niklas and frowned, then he said:

Don't pay attention to him, he likes to make jokes, but, between us, he is terrible at that.

Then he whispered to Niklas, trying to be subtle:

Hold on a little bit, they are going o give us an alternative to traveling by ship, just let them give us the stone and then do whatever you want.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: April 24, 2013, 03:31:09 pm »

Morton walks towards the merchant ship to see if anyone is manning it, he will walk halfway up the gangplank and say, "Hello? Is anyone here on this fine ship?"

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: April 24, 2013, 04:28:24 pm »

TALLY HO!
Scott sets off back to the house without fear for his unlife, his horses actual life, or the physical integrity of the citizens of the port.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 719