Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542658 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #5085 on: June 03, 2013, 09:13:15 am »

((I think the second method is being bound to an object. That is, become a possessive spirit like Mike.))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: June 03, 2013, 09:20:00 am »

((I think the second method is being bound to an object. That is, become a possessive spirit like Mike.))
((It's demons, that's why it hasn't been used to avoid death, just to avoid being soulbinded to Bernie))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: June 03, 2013, 10:15:39 am »

((Pssst, you think the Artiste is even headed enough not to kill me straight out? >.> ))
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: June 03, 2013, 10:22:02 am »

((Yeah, he is a better master than Bernie. There is no point in killing a minion once the mistake has ben already made. He even tries to motivate his minions, although he doesn't succeed in that. Also, he didn't like Bernie too much, as he hasn't done many useful things))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: June 03, 2013, 10:55:42 am »

Ah, that be yonder tavern, Niklas notes, already adopting a pirate accent for the occasion.

Go into the tavern.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: June 03, 2013, 11:32:08 am »

((It's demons, that's why it hasn't been used to avoid death, just to avoid being soulbinded to Bernie))
((I think demons would be the first option, considering they've been explicitely stated to easily mess with soulbinds. Also, I just realized something about Master-Dog. Master-Dog sells souls to demons. Remember when Mike got sucked  back into the Jar O' Souls and got taken to somewhere by that woman? And then I came out by breaking the jar, and escaped being sold to a demon. Harry also mentioned that the guy was a dog, and the woman referred to him as master. This guy can probably contact demons with relative ease.))

Kevin finds a a barrel or box to sit down on and relax whatever magical energy keeps his bones moving.

((Also, skeletons are far weirder if you think about how they look for a bit.))
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:38:30 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: June 03, 2013, 02:31:04 pm »

On the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Scott looks on with incredulity as the Artiste disses him most openly!

"I didn't kill him! He was in the water for no more than 30 seconds!"

"Point is, he's dead now. And this is a tad unfortunate, you know."

"And seriously, casually insulting me akin to complaining about a squeaky chair?! SERIOUSLY?! I am sorry I don't seem to be suited to anything useful, because I was a stay-at-home husband! I trained as a clerk for gods' sakes!"

"You see, Scott, this is the greatest problem with you. You complain far, far too much. It's probably why people don't like you as a general rule, you see. Difficult to respect the complainer and all that."

"If you really want to complain about me killing people, whilst I didn't, I will then go and actually do such! I will murder so many fecking people you will die of old age before you could summon enough energy to raise them all! Speaking of raising, if you loved the little bastard so much, why didn't it occur to you to raise him!? Apparently I am not the only one cursed with uselessness at the present moment!"

The Artiste thinks about these words.

"You know, that's actually not a bad idea. Not that I'll raise good old Bernie - already got a necromancer, you see. But still, not a bad idea! Now run along, buddy! And stop being so dang vindictive already. It's a bit tiring."

Sigmund, meanwhile, is done picking through Bernie's multitude of pockets, obtaining 6 gold and 7 copper coins, a strange box, some kind of notebook and a weird marble, then handing them all to the Artiste.

"Ah, thank you. Most wonderful," he says, placing all the goods in his respectively multitudinous pockets.

"You'd better decide whether you want to use necromancy on him or not. I'm sorry, but I'm missing my opportunity to take revenge to that false captain, I've got to leave."

"Yeah, that will be a no, I'm afraid. Don't need his dead body stinking up the place, to be honest."

Sigmund and Scott then vacate the premises and go hunting.

Kevin, meanwhile, relaxes as much as a skeleton possibly can on a non-ruined barrel on deck in preparation for story time. He considers questioning the plausible existence of the ligaments holding him together or the animating power of the soul, but decides against it soon enough.

You know, there's something oddly relaxing about Bernie lying there completely still and dead. Not a care in the world for him, seems like.

"Say, um, Kevin, was it? Yes, Kevin - mind throwing our buddy Bernie overboard? Or at least propping him up somewhere out of the way? I'm not really a big fan of dead people lying about everywhere."

"Maybe WRAP HIM UP IN SOMETHING beforehand? SOME CLOTH or something - should be around HERE someplace. Take a PIECE OF THE SAILS if you WANT!"

At the Feisty Jelly...

Mark, ever the clever one, looks at all potential exits of this lousy two-bit rum joint. He comes to the conclusion that he's too lazy to check for back entrances, so he'll just say that the front one is the only one. After all, even if there was a back entrance, presumably nobody but the staff uses it, so no point in checking it anyway.

Niklas goes for a more proactive approach, becoming even piratier than he was a moment ago to bl-well, maybe not blend in, exactly. It's to achieve something, presumably. As Sigmund, led with his eyes closed by Scott, both reach the inn, Niklas makes an enlightened remark.

"Ah, that be yonder tavern."

Armed with his mighty accent, he strolls into the inn, coming to the conclusion that it is indeed full of people. It's a fairly large inn, he'd say, and it's positively bustling with activity. Drinking, gambling, singing, dancing, flirting with comely barmaids, swinging on chandeliers, this place has got it all. Truly a vibrant example of inn culture. Also, there's probably a whole lot of sailors in town right now.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: June 03, 2013, 02:46:44 pm »

Niklas pops his head out and addresses Mark.
Well, are ye coming or staying behind, Skelly?
Sig! Onol

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: June 03, 2013, 02:50:26 pm »

Onward towards the lynch mob that is most of scott's party at this present time!

To sigmund: "Do I really come off as a whiner? It's not as if it is uncalled for...having seen my terminally ill husband turned into a sheet, being drafted unwillingly into aband of incompetents and halfwits and being treated ill by the low-born...all decent excuses to complain, right?"

Upon reaching his party members, he will scan the crowd for the guy who hoodwinked him.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:10:58 am by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: June 03, 2013, 03:54:20 pm »

"When it comes to stories, I prefer the ones of strange and wondrous places, new things Master Artiste. Kingrape island sounds like one of those, for a place that used to be talked about much but now is no longer." Morton replied to the Artiste. He'll help Kevin displace Bernie's corpse with whatever the jester attempts.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: June 03, 2013, 04:55:54 pm »

Sigmund replied to Scott:

-You have suffered, and have the right to complain, but there is no sense in doing so to the person who enslaved your soul. I also had crappy luck recently, but the difference between you and me is that I was used to serve people. The nobility is full of lazy fat bossy assholes. But in my years of service I learned that when you have no other choice than to serve, it's better to do things right. Remember, it's not the same thing to be enslaved to a poor moron that to be enslaved to a King. And, as far as it goes, we have no other choice now. Prove your usefulness and you will be rewarded, even if it is by only a mere congratulations. It's best than being treated as crap.

He then remembered their main objective: bloody revenge:

-But, now, we have to find that scammer. I'll investigate inside, try to not make a racket.

Sigmund walks inside the tavern and asks the bartender for the cheapest alcohol the place can offer, trying to appear sad, but interesting.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: June 03, 2013, 07:00:13 pm »

follow Niklas in to the inn and look for the swindler who took our money
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: June 03, 2013, 07:57:00 pm »

Follow Mark, as I don't know what the swindler looks like.
Sig! Onol

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: June 03, 2013, 10:31:17 pm »

Fly away, as far up as possible. Try to not die.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: June 04, 2013, 03:16:25 am »

At the Feisty Jelly...

Niklas, seeing that there's a lot of people within, believes he'll need help on this. particularly since he doesn't actually know what the captain looks like. He pops his head out of the inn.

"Well, are ye coming or staying behind, Skelly?"

And it's even right on time with Sigmund and Scott getting over there as well. Ah, wonderful.

"... it's better to do things right. Remember, it's not the same thing to be enslaved to a poor moron that to be enslaved to a King. And, as far as it goes, we have no other choice now. Prove your usefulness and you will be rewarded, even if it is by only a mere congratulations. It's best than being treated as crap."

"But, now, we have to find that scammer. I'll investigate inside, try to not make a racket."

He appears to be explaining something to him. Oh well, none of Niklas' concern. Or Mark's, for that matter. Mark abandons his commitment to watching the entrance and follows Niklas inside, joined by the two others. First things first - observe the room!

Well, it's full of people of varying looks, walks of life and seemingly professions as well, though Mark doesn't really see anyone that looks like the good captain. And that guy was pretty conspicuous, mind you.

Sigmund, meanwhile, walks to the bar and takes a seat on a stool, then calls on the barkeep.

"Barkeep, your cheapest wine! I have prominent concerns to drown! And make it snappy!"

The barkeep gives him a peculiar look.

"Sorry, we don't got wine. That stuff's expensive, ya know."

No wine? Truly Sigmund is among savages. Not that he really wants any, to be honest, but still.

On the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Morton, having carefully considered the captain's story offerings, makes a choice.

"When it comes to stories, I prefer the ones of strange and wondrous places, new things, Master Artiste. Kingrape Island sounds like one of those, for a place that used to be talked about much but now is no longer."

"KINGRAPE ISLAND IT IS! Let's see, where to begin. Hm. Oh yes, I've got it."

The captain flies up closer to the listeners, then adopts a seated position mid-air with his legs crossed.

"The STORY of KINGRAPE ISLAND begins, as such STORIES often do, IN THE DISTANT PAST! TWO AND A HALF CENTURIES now, I BELIEVE! MY, how much time has PASSED since then! Anyway, this sea, the SEA OF PLEASANT SCENTS, is host to a MULTITUDE of islands, EACH MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN THE LAST! With EXQUISITE beaches, WONDERFUL weather, LIVELY locals and ABSOLUTELY MAGICAL nations along its coasts, YOU'LL NOT FIND A MORE DELIGHTFUL PLACE in the world!"

As the captain explains, there is a distinctly nostalgic look about him.

"WHY, I DARE YOU to find a place with such WARM CONDITIONS in WINTER! YOU WON'T, I assure you! NOW, naturally, since this is SUCH A PLEASANT LOCATION, it has been a FAVORED VACATION SPOT for the RICH! The POWERFUL! The MIGHTY! You couldn't sail a MILE without running into a PRINCE'S FLEET back then, there WAS SO DANG MANY OF THEM! And on EACH ONE OF THE ISLANDS, there was AT LEAST ONE PLEASURE PALACE periodically frequented by someone NO LESSER THAN A DUKE! This, naturally, ATTRACTED A GREAT MANY OPERATORS in the EXQUISITE DELICACY MARKET such as MYSELF. And if not for SUCH AN ASSOCIATION WITH THE AREA, I may have NEVER FOUND OUT the GRIM TALE OF KINGRAPE ISLAND!" the captain explains, dramatically outstretching his arms at the very end and looming over the listening people for a moment, then settling back down.

"Now, FIRST THINGS FIRST, it WASN'T always called KINGRAPE ISLAND. Come to think of it, it IS ONLY CALLED THAT in CERTAIN CIRCLES! VERY FEW DARE SPEAK OF IT NOW. You see, it was originally named THE KING'S ISLE, and this was mostly because KING FERDINAND OF ANSOLIA, PROTECTOR OR OWNER of virtually all the STATES surrounding the sea, had built HIS VERY OWN SOLITARY PLEASURE PALACE ON IT! It was MAGNIFICENT, even moreso that THE OTHERS OF THE SEA! It was THERE that he SPENT HIS SUMMERS, and I HEAR that there WAS AN ENTIRE TOWN built specifically to HOUSE HIS SERVANTS ALL YEAR ROUND! The palace WAS THE CENTERPIECE of the KING'S collection of various properties, and he put ALL HIS FAVORITE GIFTS, TREASURES OBTAINED IN WARS, and even FAVORED CONCUBINES there! There were TREASURE CHAMBERS BRIMMING WITH GOLD, WEAPONS, ARMOR, MAGICAL TRINKETS and so forth! Why, there was EVEN A GREAT LIBRARY there, housing ALL OF THE KING'S FAVORITE LITERATURE. It was his PERSONAL SLICE OF HEAVEN, that's what I'm trying to say here."

The storyteller seems a few steps short of openly salivating as he gushes about the contents of the king's home away from home.

"SADLY, as it often happens with such things, IT WAS NOT MEANT TO LAST. One PARTICULAR WINTER SOLSTICE, on the night of the GREAT FEAST, there was some sort of UNFORTUNATE HAPPENING! Some say the KING OFFENDED VELUSIUS with an ILL-CONCEIVED REMARK ON THE IMMORTALITY OF HIS ACCOMPLISHMENTS! Some say it was instead a MAGE that he UNWISELY MISHANDLED, though WHAT mage that might be, it is UNKNOWN! Some whisper that HE MADE A DEAL WITH A DEMON! Truth is, NOBODY KNOWS! But it was CERTAINLY SOMETHING! THING IS, something HAPPENED! The KING WENT MISSING FOR A MONTH! Just DISAPPEARED, POOF! GONE! ABDUCTED? MAYBE!" the ghost says, making vaguely mysterious gestures.

"He DID get back EVENTUALLY, THOUGH! And when HE DID, he was A BROKEN MAN BOTH PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY! NO LONGER THE PROUD KING, this was more a DOG than a HEAD OF STATE! NOBODY COULD EXPLAIN IT until a SERVANT ACCIDENTALLY HEARD HIM TALK IN HIS SLEEP! And what SHE HEARD..."

The captain pauses dramatically.

"... well, let's just say THERE'S A REASON they call it KINGRAPE ISLAND. Shortly after HIS REAPPEARANCE, the KING ORDERED EVERYONE TO LEAVE THE ISLAND with him, TAKING NOTHING from it as HE LEFT. ALL HIS TREASURES, left there JUST LIKE THAT! PRESUMABLY the place was TAINTED FOREVER IN HIS EYES! Back in his palace, HE ORDERED THAT NONE SHALL SET FOOT ON THE ISLAND EVER AGAIN. And in two and a half centuries, PRESUMABLY NONE HAVE! At least, NONE THAT BRAGGED ABOUT IT OPENLY. AND THUS KINGRAPE ISLAND remains, totally SILENT AND ABANDONED, and the SUCCESSORS OF KING FERDINAND have made VERY DANG SURE that NO MENTION is made of the place in POLITE SOCIETY. PRESUMABLY, all of the treasures of the GREATEST ANSOLIAN KING still lay there largely undisturbed. SAILORS PASSING BY THAT WAY have told TALES of it looking very much LIKE IT USED TO. ALMOST UNTOUCHED. Almost as though the CONCEPT OF THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM had been given SHAPE and put on the most MAGNIFICENT ISLE of the SEA OF PLEASANT SCENTS. And that, MY FRIENDS, is the tale of KINGRAPE ISLAND."

"Seems like a rather interesting tale. Why does nobody speak of it much?"

"They DECAPITATE any who DO publicly for the last HUNDRED OR SO YEARS. HOLDOVER from the TIMES of KING TERRANCE THE BRAVE. They CALLED HIM THAT because he SYSTEMATICALLY ELIMINATED any who DIDN'T. LUCKILY, I AM IMMUNE TO DECAPITATION. As well as most OTHER FORMS OF CONVENTIONAL PUNISHMENT."

"Ah."

Back in Emlocke...

Darren, overtaken by a powerful flight instinct, does just that - flies upwards!

Well, more like floats upwards. It's a bit slower than he would hope, but he's currently a tad busy with certain other things. Like not dying.

[Darren will roll: 2-1]

Oh dear gods, that is so incredibly painful. Seriously, worst feeling. Ever.

[Darren will roll: 6-2]

Darren tries to think happy thoughts just as it feels that there is no hope left! This seems to help somewhat, actually. The sensation of his innards getting pulled out through his nose becomes merely a dire sense of urgency as Darren sighs with relief. He keeps on flying, making it faster as a result of his heightened sense of a need to live. He's about a mile up now, though the sky is literally the limit now.

[Darren will roll: 2]

And here it comes again. Beautiful.
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 719