Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 540860 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #5310 on: June 11, 2013, 04:25:04 pm »

Sigmund analized the information Scott had given him. He then said:

-I see. If pitch is so common, you probably shouldn't find any inconvenient in finding some of it, right?

((I'm delegating a task to you))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: June 11, 2013, 04:40:30 pm »

((Check my turn, it;s been in there for some time.  :P))
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: June 11, 2013, 05:10:13 pm »

Contemplate whether the golem would survive being made bigger.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: June 11, 2013, 05:47:59 pm »

Mark looks around for a fishing shop then if one isnt found he will claim the big siege weapon
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: June 11, 2013, 08:15:01 pm »

Niklas huffed.
Well, I can't help with the revenge plot so I'll go look for my cat.

Go off in search of Sven! Stay out of sight of the guards.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: June 12, 2013, 01:45:14 am »

On the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

As Morton exchanges vaguely planning-related pleasantries with the Artiste, captain and Art, Sigmund, ready for action, rejoins the planning committee.

"Any aid rendered would be most appreciated, good captain," Morton says, turning to the Artiste momentarily. "I thank you for your praise, Master Artiste, if you like I think we can arrange you a good viewing spot of where the plan will go down from afar."

"Ooh, sounds like a wonderful idea."

Lastly, the burned butler turns to Art, nodding once more. "Understandable, mage Art, if you don't wish to put yourself in harm's way we won't force you. I thank you for considering the offer however."

"Ī could probably help some other way if you want to, though. Just not in a way that has a reasonable chance of rendering me into paste."

Feeling that they're presumably done with the back-and-forth, Sigmund slides into the conversation.

"Now I'm ready. Who wants to man the ballista? Maybe Niklas could help with that? Considering that the guards already know about him. About me, well, on the other hand, I should be the backup reinforcement in case things go wrong. But that leaves us the problem of who will be the exorcist."

"I can certainly try, I'm indeed hoping that Art would help me with making something of a convincing tale as well, as I'm afraid I don't much know of such things. Also, how many guards were there?"

"Do you think you could elaborate a convincente lie? Maybe Art could help you with that. But, as far as things go, it seems that you will be the exorcist."

Morton turns to Art, eager to seek out some input.

"If you could help me with such, it would be greatly thanked. I'm not entirely as to the details of such, or what would at least sound accurate. I'd just be posing as an assistant however, so thankfully I wouldn't need knowledge of all matters pertaining to it, just those that a true exorcist would tell their assistant."

"Remember - souls are like any stuff. They come, they go, they sometimes become ghosts. The only difference is what they're tied to - ectoplasm, objects, human bodies. So yeah, it's pretty simple in theory. Say lots of things about how you sense soul energies and how the ley lines cross at this particular spot, all that good stuff. You don't have to know what you're talking about - most exorcists don't, let alone their assistants. Most of the time they deliberately build up this mystique around them despite being essentially pest exterminators with an easier job of things. After all, rats become poison-resistant. Remnant souls don't become magic-resistant. The job is essentially finding the soul, then pulling it out like a painful tooth. Rest is just fluff."

Sigmund and Morton nod, then Sigmund explains more about the guards.

"They were five of them, all in mail armor and armed with clubs. But, after our defeat there, they now have Niklas' knives, my two tomahawks, I mean axes, and a knife Scott smeared with that black paste. They appear to not care about life, as after seeing some of their comrades dead, they only thought in looting them."

"Boy, they sure sound like nice people."

"TRUE MEN OF ENTERPRISE! The MOST DANGEROUS KIND OF MEN! Luckily, you CAN MATCH THEM! I BELIEVE IN YOU!"

"Five, thank you, Sir Sigmund. If things go well, their armaments won't rather matter."

Scott has a thought.

"And why are my plans among the most risky? Surely luring them to a large enough body of water to drown them in is more risky than burning whatever building they are inhabitating at the time. By the way, captain, do you have any pitch in a barrel?"

"Not SURE. I certainly have MYSTERY SLUDGE. EVEN I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS! You might FIND SOME if you LOOK! Perhaps some PITCH as WELL!"

"How about a boarding axe?"

"POSSIBLY! Also not SURE! If there is, IT MIGHT BE TERRIBLY RUSTY. Just a WARNING."

"A harpoon, perhaps?"

"YES! That we DO INDEED HAVE. I was CONSIDERING a career in WHALING, you see. So I HAVE SEVERAL. I TELEKINETICALLY FISH WITH THEM OCCASIONALLY to KEEP MY SKILLS UP. They're in the CAPTAIN'S QUARTERS, so you can BORROW them. Not PERMANENTLY, mind you. I'll be EXPECTING THEM BACK!"

Having found this out, Scott briefly engages in a discussion with Sigmund over the perks of open aquatic warfare versus sneaky pyromania. They come to the conclusion that pyromania may be a viable solution after all, provided the user isn't a bloody lunatic who'll kill everyone. Sigmund then goes off to practice with his weapon.

After practicing his moves for a bit, he can safely say one thing - if he keeps most of his ridiculous extendo-arms under his cloak, most people certainly wouldn't see the spear coming when he uses it. Well, provided they don't know he's a freak of nature who can do things like that. He even practices an innocuous defensive look that will serve him well in such a case.

Man, he'd like to see that guard's face if he tries that.

During Sigmund's practice session Morton looks for a good setting for an exorcism. Unfortunately, there's only two sorts of things around the port - obviously occupied houses and closed stores. Some of them have windows, though. And there's no suspicious alley's - they pack the houses tightly around these parts. Must be prime real estate.

Mark, seeing an opportunity here... looks for some fishing stores. As night falls on the town, he exits the ship and searches the area.

Hm, no fishing stores that he can see, at least not in this neighborhood. Perhaps it's because fishing is done differently around here, Mark thinks. Oh well. He heads back on the ship and familiarizes himself with the ballista's operation.

He realizes that to get any sort of decent firing rate on this thing, he needs a team. He also needs a team because he can't make heads or tails of how to aim the damn thing. Or how to properly load it, for that matter. This is not helped by the lack of any ammo in sight.

Niklas, having silently watched the plotting of revenge, supposes he isn't particularly needed here.

"Well, I can't help with the revenge plot so I'll go look for my cat."

And thus he journeys off the ship and out to search for Sven. Now, it's probably unlikely that he'd be in the Ulubelle. Perhaps he's gone back to where he was forcibly abducted from? Cats are reasonably good navigators, after all. To this end, Niklas heads back to the tree in the woods where he got his buddy. However, he isn't here. Despite this, Niklas thinks he's got something. Sven can't be far, he supposes.

On a wet and miserable plain...

Darren, having created a friend from dirt, contemplates the possibility of improving it somewhat.

He probably could make it bigger, though that might have additional consequences. After all, he is moving the entire thing with careful telekinesis. It isn't actually alive, though he likes to think it is. It's a nice rush you feel when you think you create life, after all.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: June 12, 2013, 01:48:40 am »

Hmm.
*meow*
*meow*

Make cat noises to lure him out of hiding. Search for him.
Sig! Onol

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: June 12, 2013, 02:26:31 am »

Scott will go fetch the harpoons (at least three) before going off to find a barrel of pitch.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: June 12, 2013, 06:08:51 am »

Mark goes over to get the transmuter and shows her the ballista asking for some guiding help on using it and if she could make a sight
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: June 12, 2013, 06:58:30 am »

convincente
((Damn, I hate when two languages collide. And I was too lazy to search for the word in a dictionary. I meant to write convincing))

Sigmund will ask the Artiste for a gold coin to buy bolts for Kevin and go with him to look for a shop where he can buy some.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: June 12, 2013, 08:56:12 am »

Mark goes over to get the transmuter and shows her the ballista asking for some guiding help on using it and if she could make a sight
((Inb4 rubber ballista))

Kevin walks up to the ballista nd sees if he can figure out how to fire this thing.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: June 12, 2013, 03:38:42 pm »

[Did Morton manage to see how many flasks he has?]

Morton nodded at Art's explanation. "I thank you good mage Art, I shall keep that in mind when the time comes." The undead said thanking him. Later, after looking around the surroundings, the undead sighed.  "It doesn't look to be any good spots that I can see around to stage the event. Bother." The butler said to no one in particular. Unless they plan on breaking into a house, which would render the ballista not as useful he would figure, he's not sure of where to host such a thing... Either way, he can work on something concrete however, that he can do right away. "If anyone requires me, I shall be in the kitchen making the concoction." It shouldn't be too hard to find the kitchen, no? Maybe... He's pretty sure.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: June 12, 2013, 04:24:58 pm »

In the woods outside of Shriekpot...

Niklas, not on his first outing as a hunter of the wilds (and cats as well), tries to sound off the call of the noble wandering feline to hopefully attract some that he can promptly enslave for his nefarious purposes.

[Cat call roll: 6]

"Hmm. *meow* *meow*."

When that doesn't work, he tries the mating call instead, assuming the roll of a fetching cat in a certain level of distress and only one cure for it! In moments, cats appear from the nearby area and run at Niklas! However, he doesn't see Sven among them. How strange. He should be around here somewhere, Niklas is sure of it.

The cats, meanwhile, look at him confusedly, then search for their distressed damsel.

On the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Scott heads off to the captain's quarters and fetches five harpoons. These will presumably be useful. Now to find a barrel of pitch.

Skipping to the place most likely to contain some, he goes down to the cargo hold. It's certainly changed a lot, he finds - it's no longer a hold, actually. More like a vault, really. A really, really secure-looking vault. Fortunately, there's still a barrel of mystery sludge down there! Scott takes a look at it.

Yeah, that isn't pitch. He doesn't know what it is, but isn't pitch. At least not anymore.

Mark, meanwhile, looks for Erin. Moments later he realizes that he has no idea where she is. And since Erin's currently changing the ship, he might end up changed as well if he goes down there. He could become trapped at best and turned into furniture at worst. And who wants that, really? So he'll just stay put until she's done. Not like there's a real hurry to get this ballista sorted out, anyway. If he's lucky, the others will start getting things actually done in a day at best.

For instance, Sigmund is currently performing bolt shopping in Kevin's name. He asks the Artiste for a gold coin, and the master kindly hands it over. It is then that he walks off to look for a bolt shop. Or some sort of weapon shop that'd be open, he doesn't know.

After about twenty minutes of walking off on his own, he finds himself in the Center of Shriekpot. Damn it all.

[Will roll: 1]

Damn it all to hell.

Back in better places, Kevin is performing an interesting bit of empirical research as he tries to divine the workings of the humble ballista.

Well, he supposes it's rather like a crossbow. And he knows how a crossbow works. You lift it up...

[Strength roll: 5-2]

Like so. Well, Kevin's only lifting one side. But the point remains: now you fire it! If you had ammo.

[Endurance roll: 4]

And your arms didn't seem like they're about to crumble from trying with all your might to lift a ballista. Kevin wisely puts it down in a moment. Hm, perhaps a different strategy is in order.

Morton nods upon hearing the explanation from Art on the subtle mysteries of exorcism.

"I thank you, good mage Art, I shall keep that in mind when the time comes."

"Oh, sure. Not a problem. Have to use my experience somewhere, you know?"

Next thing on the agenda - express heightened level of bother over lack of suitable geography.

"It doesn't look to be any good spots that I can see around to stage the event. Bother."

Done! Now to do something useful.

"If anyone requires me, I shall be in the kitchen making the concoction," he says, going down into the deeper recesses of the ship. It's certainly gotten quite a makeover. Why, one might call it cozy now, if not luxurious. Hardly the ghost-ridden wreck it was a few hours ago. And there's even a set of helpful signs pointing him to the kitchen! Morton follows them, eventually finding himself in some sort of interesting room that contains quite a few very comfy-looking chairs arranged around what looks like a somewhat large coffee table. All of the furniture looks to have grown out of the floor organically rather than formed individually, which gives the entire place a bit of an alien look. Particularly strange is the fact that lighting within the ship is achieved through what look like light orange luminescent streaks on the walls, ceiling and floor. It gives the place a strange atmosphere in addition to all the organic-looking stuff. Not to mention that Morton is pretty sure that that's a very complex ornament up on what is most certainly a domed ceiling to this room.

In fact, the luminescent streaks look alive, in a way. Almost like they're breathing. But Morton has no time to consider the implications of this. He heads into the kitchen, which is right next to the den, which he assumes is what the sitting place is. Going into the kitchen, he finds that it is similarly lit as well as designed, except it's strange cooking equipment growing out of the floor rather than anything else. There's even some tools around, which also seem to have been grown out of the same material as the other things.

Upon checking his flasks, Morton realizes he has five in total. Plenty for a sizable amount of tea, at any rate.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: June 12, 2013, 04:37:55 pm »

Hmm. *mrrow meow meow mow*

Attempt to convince the cats to follow me so we can go find the female cat, who has been catnapped by evil guards!

((I just had the best idea. Can any of our mages turn humans into other animals?))
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 719