Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 540911 times)

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #6945 on: September 15, 2013, 03:08:20 am »

[I am adding a bit extra :P]

[God I hope this works.]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 03:18:17 am by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: September 15, 2013, 03:36:50 am »

[I am curious as to the necromancer child, I don't recall anything similar or even vaguely like that honestly. A lie I presume?

I'm kinda mixed here really, I don't want you dead but at the same time I don't want Sigmund dead either. Couldn't you of tried to pin it on someone we know and hate? There's the flying ship captain, but I fear she has too many connections for anything to be done. Those guards at the inn might work too, but they don't have a mage for that to work and might of checked in with the city guard before scramming.

Bernie? He's dead, sure, but that might work to your favor with a bit of thought.]

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6947 on: September 15, 2013, 03:55:21 am »

[Yeah, the person I am referring to is Bernie. Whom Scott considered a child.

And I am just rp'ing. Him and Sig rub each other the wrong way and he is pretty convenient atm.]
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6948 on: September 15, 2013, 04:01:27 am »

[Ah, right. He did? I always figured Bernie bald and with a pointed goatee for some reason, serious looking so I didn't catch that.

Yeah, you have a point about that, Scott and Sigmund don't really like each other. Black spy versus white spy style bickering and fighting I suppose.]

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6949 on: September 15, 2013, 04:16:52 am »

((I thought Bernie was basically just the Medieval Fantasy equivalent of a neckbeard?))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Prologue, Part Two
« Reply #6950 on: September 15, 2013, 04:19:09 am »

“No, sis, now shut up. Let’s go, minions!” says the necromancer, also removing his hood. He sure has an awful complexion, somewhat yellowish in places. He looks pretty hateful, to tell the truth. Large brown eyes just like his sister’s, almost no chin and a large, hooked nose. He couldn’t be more than 20 years old, you wager.
((Ta da))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: September 15, 2013, 04:39:40 am »

((I thought Bernie was basically just the Medieval Fantasy equivalent of a neckbeard?))
((Same here.))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: September 15, 2013, 05:09:43 am »

At the amputation room of the guard HQ in Shriekpot...

Sigmund tries his best to convince the guards to give his arm back.

"Well, it certainly makes you feel out of balance, I have to say. Considering how difficult it was to remove it, may I examine it? Ideally, I would like to take it, considering that we mutants don't know much about our own anatomy, and that arm would certainly help me to understand my own physiology."

He reaches for the arm, but the butcher man draws it back.

"Not giving it back, buddy. Not by a long shot."

"After all, you might put it back on. And that would defeat the point, wouldn't it?"

Sigmund's expression sours a little as his arm is pulled out of immediate reach.

"There was a device within my possessions that was actually borrowed. Is there any chance to get it back so that I can give it to its legitimate owner?"

"Oh, I'm sure you've borrowed a great many things. If somebody wants them back, feel free to tell them to come over here and get them."

Just at that moment, a guard steps inside the room and whispers something to Carlson. Carlson nods, then turns to Sigmund.

"I have some business to take care of, buddy, so you wait here a little bit, I'll be right back."

He then exits, leaving Sigmund in the room with the other guards. The amputation guy appears to be eying him curiously.

"So, are you a construct? Or simply altered in some fashion? This arm of yours is... unusual. Most exquisite."

He whispers something to one of the guards, who leaves for a minute, then comes back.

On the deck of a strange ship...

Morton is a tad confused by the captain. Such unfortunately cryptic thought patterns, really.

~As close as you can get, 'sadly'? I'm afraid I don't quite understand, are you perhaps far away from this locale or otherwise incapable? Do you require assistance of some kind, or perhaps require help?~

~Oh, no. Certainly not. I'm perfectly content how I am, actually.~

~I did not mean to relay that talking in such a way was off putting for myself, simply that it is something new. I've surely dealt with stranger than holding a conversation in my head with another, it's simply an activity I don't do quite frequently is all. If I remember correct I believe I actually spoke out loud last time, a touch embarrassing I suppose looking back. It's a shame people don't take the chance to travel with you, you seem like an interesting fellow to converse with, that much I can glean from our conversations.~

~Even if you do not find it strange, many others do. Most of my business associates are quite wary of someone accessing their innermost thoughts, even though I typically do not do such a thing out of respect for one's privacy, as strange, primal and animalistic as it may be. But I digress. Your associate here is quite interesting. Educated, too. Did you go through the same process as she did? She thinks of fabulous dimensions and demons dwelling within them - rather interesting if I may express so myself.~

At the Brotherhood of Fine Furniture and Other Odds and Ends...

Niklas tries to reach a compromise.

"Well, I only possess 4 gold. What if I went and got 1 gold and three silver, then came back here - I could get the chairs then, could I not? Also, remind me in case I'm not remembering correctly, a regular chair is one silver, is it not?"

"You can certainly pay us the four gold to place the order, then come back to receive the finished product when you have the rest. Should you not do so within a day, we will render the chairs down to their raw components again. And the price of a regular chair is actually one gold, with variations based on required materials."

At the engineers' gate of the City of the Dead...

Darren just converses on with the gibbon, hoping to wring some usefulness out of it.

"Could you explain it to me?"

The gibbon nods.

In a shallow grave...

Kevin, hoping to get some sort of help from the divines now that the earthly powers have failed him, attempts to pray his way to safety. He prays intensely to every god he can think of (well, there are only five, so it doesn't take very long). He feels he's got a good thing going here, really. He even sounds kind of sincere, at least to himself.

A bit of time passes, and Kevin almost gets the idea that he hasn't been heard, but then he feels the earth move above him - this feeling continues until he is successfully exhumed - oddly enough, by the same people, it seems. This time, their grumbling seems louder.

"Wish they'd make up their minds already, digging pits is hard work!"

"Yeah, I never asked for this."

They pull Kevin out of the grave in due time.

"Should we fill it up?"

"Nah, we'll prolly need it later, anyway."

As the guards decide this, they begin dragging Kevin along once more.

In the main lobby of the guard HQ of Shriekpot...

Scott, realizing that now might be his chance, decides to go all out. Oh yes, it is time for a most incredibly unreliable narration.

"Yes, so...It was that damned lanky armed bastard. I shouldn't have believed him, he claimed to have been given orders by our new master, the Artiste. Said he wanted a book and that he was given special permission to get it by any means. When I initially refused, he claimed the book had already been paid for, but had been withheld after the bookseller learned of its real value and thus it was the masters rightful property. He said my personal mission was to delay the seller and any guards by any means necessary whilst he got the book and ran back to the master. Having already failed my master once..." he trails off, recalling the way he felt when he accidentally murdered Bernie, altering his already unpleasant one-eyed expression accordingly. The receptionist seems unmoved, but he also seems to be busily taking notes, so he supposes it's working.

"... I... I wasn't going to risk it again. I admit I have lied to this point....but I couldn't risk stating all this in front of lanky... he... he had plans for an eventuality where he was imprisoned that doesn't bear contemplation. The master is used to our schemes and punishes us accordingly... however... lanky... lanky is vicious. It's hard to keep your sanity when all you have is an accursed bond to an individual you don't like and a certain ethereal future of terror and woe. See how willing he was to lose a limb? If you noticed...they weren't his to begin with, and despite our physiology...the nature of our enchantment 'allows' us to feel pain. You see this?" he asks, pointing at his chin. "It's his work. He came to the gang one day and said the Artiste had been scammed out of his money for a ticket for a ship. He said he had scouted out the city and found the scammers in a tavern in the trade district. He... he ordered us to help him kill everyone he found in the place... in the name of our master. I had initially objected, saying that innocents would only turn the city against our master.. but the look in his dead eyes quietened me."

"Fortunately, later that night, when we stormed blades raised high... we were met by a company of armed men, presumably city guards. Whilst we felled several of them, and captured the proprietress of the establishment... the rest of the tavern had time to flee. Lanky was not happy. He turned to me and screamed that I was a traitor, that I had alerted the city guards. He... hacked at my face several times with his sword... missing every few slashes. But he succeeded in separating me from my jaw. He then, after questioning her, killed the proprietress out right and lopped off her jaw. He said 'A perfect present for you, Scott... for you and all that women's talk,'..." he concludes his chilling testimony. A few seconds later, the receptionist finishes writing, then checks his work. Looking at the paper, Scott notices that it's filled with really weird-looking squiggles. The receptionist glances at him, then at a particular guard.

"Get Carlson."

The guard walks off, and it is not long until Carlson arrives.

"What's up?"

The receptionist hands him the page... no, wait, several written pages. Carlson looks through them interestedly.

"Ooh, very interesting indeed! The plot thickens, so to speak. Right then, time to get down to the real business at hand."

He looks at Scott.

"You've certainly changed your tune quite a bit. I guess you know what that means, right?"

Scott looks at him silently.

"Investigation time!" Carlson says, grinning wildly. "Now, about this Artiste - who is he? Where is he? How can we find him?"

In Undefined Space...

Timothy clarifies that he is, indeed, quite stuck.

"Nah, I is stuck here for sure. Dem voices says they's send me home, but not do nothin'. Guess I stays here."

"Voices do little. They guide path to get out, but not needed to get out. Can always leave, yes."

Timothy tries to manipulate the remainder of his own blocks, but finds that the geometric ripples are a tad hostile to him. Probably best not to bother them right now.

"You have soul. You from far away. I see soul also chained, yes? You want out, but you die if you do. Want help?"

Right at that moment, another presence drifts over, a shining, spinning face of curious composition.

"Ooh, soul-man-thing in the fun-place! I knew I heard soul-man-things in middle-corner! Yes! What's shaking, soul-man-thing? Nice landscape-thing!"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: September 15, 2013, 05:17:32 am »

If I don't have the money within the day, however, will I get my money back?

Resolve payment issues: if it turns out that I get my money back if I can't pay, pay them 4 gold to assemble the agreed chairs and go search for people who I can get money from. Maybe a bank or something.
If it turns out I won't get my mony back if I can't pay, ask them to keep the chair specifications on file under 'CHAIRMAN NIKLAS', and then go and search for people/institutions that I could get money from.
I'm searching for 2 gold and three silver.
Sig! Onol

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: September 15, 2013, 05:25:04 am »

((I'm having a hard time determining if the situation has improved or become worse.))
Play dead.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: September 15, 2013, 05:26:36 am »

((I'm having a hard time determining if the situation has improved or become worse.))
Play dead.
((Improved, of course! I'm back in action!
I just hope I don't end up robbing a bank or something.))
Sig! Onol

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: September 15, 2013, 06:47:00 am »

"The artiste is not much of a villain despite his necromancy, his lack of responsibility for his peons actions however are at best an annoyance for the city and at worse a danger. I believe he is currently at the dock, I recently delivered him a 'special' brew from one of the taverns nearby, I hope he is enjoying it. He is fairly affable, though I do not afford him much courtesy, as he allowed for the destruction of my husband at the hands of one of his partners.

...Is...Is there any chance I can go now? Technically all I did was pick the lock to the shop, whilst I engaged the guards I took pains not to kill them, though it was more like I took pain when they tried to kill me. But the deaths were the constructs doing at the lanky bastard behest."

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: September 15, 2013, 08:48:07 am »

Sigmund replied to the "surgeon":

-Well, I think that I went through another dimension, and I was transformed into this. Tell me, it was difficult to sever it because of how uncomon is its structure, or because it being particularly hard?

OOC EDIT:

((We are getting even worse each time Scott talks, now we are going to be charged with many things more. I'm going to point out something REALLY important: they have a diviner. That means that they can guess all the damned crimes we have commited. We can't lie, because the diviner knows when we lie. Do you realize that? We are screwed.))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: September 15, 2013, 09:24:47 am »

((Well I am rping thus OOC knowledge doesn't apply. :P However I have attempted to offset this by telling truths within lies which may fool the diviner. ;P))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: September 15, 2013, 09:43:10 am »

((We are screwed anyway. This can only end in either the whole party dying (due to the Artiste being executed), or the whole city guard being somehow destroyed by Niklas. The first alternative is the most likely to happen))

((I can bet that Harry found all his plans for story progression quite unlikely to happen. And the deadly part of the chapter was supposed to be the Sea of Death. I think that we are just not going to see it))
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 719