Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542612 times)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #7245 on: October 07, 2013, 07:49:05 pm »

Explore a little. Look for a vault, or a mueseum, if anything recognizably so is around here. Go find a pile of trash, make a golem to roll with.
"What I wouldn't give for a tour guide right now. Not like I have much to give one anyway."

Nunzillor

« Reply #7246 on: October 07, 2013, 08:26:08 pm »

((That's not sleeping  :P))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: October 07, 2013, 09:23:59 pm »

((That's not sleeping  :P))
((I was planning on talking to them. Now I have to default to plan run.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: October 07, 2013, 11:56:24 pm »

Just one criminal? Morton couldn't help but almost sigh in relief. Maybe this isn't actually related to them then. "Hm, I see... Would you perhaps know of other bookstores in the area then? I'm rather new to the area you see, and I was hoping to check on one." Technically not a lie, the desk notes to himself, but he's still about as much of a fan of half-truths as he is of lying: very little.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: October 08, 2013, 09:06:17 am »

((inb4 Morton aquires the entire Sea of Death shelf trough pure politeness.))
"Hey buddy, what's up?"
Help Sigmund with getting up

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: October 08, 2013, 01:29:31 pm »

In the streets of Shriekpot...

Sigmund is at peace. His eyes are closed, and he feels that it is truly better this way. The world is a terrible, hostile, spinny place that he cannot bring himself to properly like these days. It seems so intent on hurting him, you know. Nope, he's good where he is.

Suddenly, he is poked.

"Hey buddy, what's up?"

Ah. He. Of course. Sigmund slowly opens his eyes, observing Kevin, deprived of a ride, stabbing his spidery, jaggedly broken jester fingers into his side. Sigmund is filled with intense loathing as he looks around. The world still appears to be a homogenous mass of ways to go stretching out in at least four dimensions of space and two dimensions of time. It is quite disorienting, and Sigmund realizes that he really wants nothing to do with it right now. He then closes his eyes again, rolling over on his other side, facing away from his companion.

In the cargo hold of the Second Shank...

Scott, supposing that he might not need a wooden slab after all, tries to drag Mark up the stairs. After five seconds of trying, he decides that it's probably not worth the effort, and goes to consult the Artiste and the Captain for help.

"Can either of you do sophisticated and dramatic magic to transport corpses quickly over great obstacles?"

"Not right now, no. At least I'd rather not try."

"WHAT do you require HELP WITH, loyal SEA APE?"

At the guard HQ of Shriekpot...

Niklas, understanding at a glance that the spinning, bifurcated, disproportionately large razor tail of a Hagralikknikvarstlipik has currently been introduced to a large amount of escaping fecal matter, the traditional pre- or, failing that, post-mortem response to a Hagralikknikvarstlipik sighting, tries to vacate the premises in a rapid and efficient manner. He attempts to fly off, leaping into the air!

However, the only thing that happens is that he lands on the ground again. He tries a few more times, but he does not feel like anything at all has happens. Huh. Okay then, plan B! It's time for Niklas to bravely run away! He runs down the street for a bit before realizing that he really doesn't know where to go from here. Hm. Maybe he should try to remember-

Oh no, wait, there's guards running after him now. Better just try to escape, then.

[Niklas' escape roll: 1]
[Guards 1-8 pursuit rolls: 2, 3, 6, 4, 4, 3, 4, 6]

As Niklas tries to waddle away on his unwieldy chair legs, two particularly enthusiastic guards try their best to tackle him!

[Tackle: Guard 3 vs. Niklas: 4 vs. 4+1]
[Tackle: Guard 8 vs. Niklas: 1 vs. 5+1]

The first of these guards finds that Niklas is a bit harder to topple than one might think after he bumps into Niklas and stumbles backwards. The second one finds out much the same thing, albeit in a slightly more... involved process. Namely, a process in which he smashes headfirst into the chair creature's mixed wood-black stuff frame.

[Guard 8 endurance roll: 5]

After a brief struggle to wrench himself free, however, the guard also stumbles away, shaking his head to clear his mind of whatever demonic force possessed it to attempt such a maneuver in the first place.

"I'm oka-ay!" he shouts, quite possibly more surprised at the fact than his peers. One of his quickly-approaching colleagues takes a moment to comment from afar in the middle of all the laughter.

"Pinkerton, you dumb son of a whore, what were you thinking?"

"I think I surprised the bastard!" Pinkerton yells, pointing at the quite confused Niklas.

"And it only cost you your wife's birth date, huh?"

"Uh... no, nope! Still remember that!"

Three of the others quickly catch up to the somewhat slow chairman, seeking to trip him up!

[Combined Maneuver: Guards 4, 5 and 7: 2, 4, 6, average 4 = +1]
[Trip: Guards vs. Niklas: 1+1 vs. 1+1]

Unfortunately, despite their best efforts, Niklas remains quite standing! He even goes ahead and resumes running for a bit, the situation becoming clearly unfavorable for him!

At Brenwicke's Books...

Morton, quite relieved by the news that there is but a single criminal rather than a group of familiar malcontents as he had feared, questions the lady some more.

"Hm, I see... Would you perhaps know of other bookstores in the area then? I'm rather new to the area you see, and I was hoping to check on one."

"Um... no, not really. I've heard of someplace called Wallyn's, but I wouldn't know where it is. Don't frequent these sorts of places outside of... erm... scandals, you know."

In the engineers' quarter of the City of the Dead...

Darren, discounting the pyramid as probably unimportant to what he's looking for, searches for a museum or a vault, a place for the cultural treasures of the area to reside in and be looked at by curious wanderers. However, he realizes that even if there was one of those around, he probably doesn't have any choice other than looking inside to find out - the buildings seem quite unmarked aside from some etched lines on them.

Having somewhat failed at his first objective, then, Darren decides to look for a pile of trash. Sadly, there are also none of those around that he can see - all materials seem to be accounted for and utilized as far as he can see. He even notices a particular one of the scurrying little creatures call upon its brethren to harvest a somewhat aged-looking walking metal insect, which shrieks in protest as it is taken apart by the tiny little things.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:41:39 am by Harry Baldman »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: October 08, 2013, 02:14:29 pm »

Close eyes, walk into one of the directions. keep going to the store from that place

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: October 08, 2013, 02:27:14 pm »

Continue running away.

WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO TACKLE ME

If they tackle me, whack them with my chairs and such and then continue running.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:29:19 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: October 08, 2013, 02:38:05 pm »

Continue running away.

WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO TACKLE ME
((Pssst, put your spiked chairs between the tacklers and you))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: October 08, 2013, 03:01:25 pm »

My apologies my great Master.
Captain, I need the great steel lump of a corpse in the hold lifted up the stairs, my own body isn't capable of such work.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: October 08, 2013, 03:49:01 pm »

"Oh, thank you, just knowing the name is a great help in and of itself! I might of gotten directed to this bookstore again by chance no doubt, what with how infamous it seems to have become today. Hm... Are these events common? My time here in the city has been quite pleasant and quiet really, I'd never of thought such if so."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: October 09, 2013, 01:05:27 am »

((Run away from the anti-magician, wherever he is, and then you can cannonball the guards))
Follow Sigmund. If he fails in going anywhere, try to drag him.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: October 09, 2013, 02:30:50 pm »

In the streets of Shriekpot...

Sigmund keeps his eyes closed, then gets up, walking in one of several possible directions. He walks for quite a while before opening his eyes.

Miraculously, he appears to have found Gunther Gunnarson's shop. Huh. Who would have thought it was that easy? Kevin, who has faithfully followed Sigmund by rolling after him, is equally surprised. Looks like Sigmund navigates far better when he's blind.

Elsewhere in Shriekpot...

Niklas tries to run as well as he can while openly questioning the actions of the guards, hoping to evade persecution.

[Combined Maneuver: Guards 3-5: 3, 5, 3, average 4=+1]
[Trip: Guards 3-5 vs. Niklas: 3+1 vs. 3+1]

Niklas handily jumps over an attempt by the guards to trip him on the way, resisting the temptation to do a heroic toll in the process.

[Combined Maneuver: Guard 7 and Pinkerton: 5, 5, average 5=+2]
[Trip: Guard 7 and Pinkerton vs. Niklas: 3+2 vs. 5+1]

He then tries to run as the other two fail to impede him in any significant fashion, too busy working out a battle plan to do any such thing.

[Niklas' escape roll: 6]
[Guard pursuit rolls: 1, 6, 2, 4, 5, 4, 4, 3]

He puts quite a significant distance between himself and the guards, losing three of them in the process, including the possibly brain-damaged Pinkerton.

[Niklas' escape roll: 1]
[Guard pursuit rolls: 5, 1, 2, 4, 2]

However, two of the sneaky bastards, just when Niklas thinks he's lost them, charge out of an unlikely alley, intercepting and trying again to trip the running chair-fiend up!

[Combined Maneuver: Guards 2 and 6: 6, 3, average 5 = +2]
[Trip: Guards 2 and 6 vs. Niklas: 1+2 vs. 5+1]

As they run up to Niklas, the chair-man just slaps them aside with a spiky hand as he runs along.

[Niklas' escape roll: 3]
[Guard pursuit rolls: 3, 6, 2, 1, 6]

A bit of running later, Niklas finds that at least three of these guys just don't let up! They do seem to have abandoned the idea of working together, though.

[Trip: Guard 2 vs. Niklas: 1 vs. 3+1]
[Trip: Guard 4 vs. Niklas: 1 vs. 6+1]
[Trip: Guard 7 vs. Niklas: 3 vs. 1+1]

Two of the guards run at Niklas for a simultaneous attack, but this results only in them running into each other, one tumbling away while the other falls down directly under Niklas' step.

[Guard 4's endurance roll: 4]

Though his chest probably doesn't appreciate the stress of getting stepped on, it doesn't do the sensible thing and collapse in protest either, which Niklas can't help but wonder about.

While he wonders, the leg that stands on the guard is abruptly swept away by a third, at which point Niklas stumbles.

[Niklas' balance roll: 1]

And after he stumbles, he loses his footing and falls immediately, landing hard and on his front side, his central chair smashing into the ground in a manner he finds somewhat disorienting. As he hits the ground, he hears a cheer from nearby, followed by a series of very loud yells.

"Ha-hah! HEY, GUYS! OVER HERE! COME ON!"

On the deck of the Second Shank...

Scott, having been met with due ambivalence, elaborates on his request after a quick apology.

"My apologies, my great Master. Captain, I need the great steel lump of a corpse in the hold lifted up the stairs, my own body isn't capable of such work."

"Oh, I CAN DO THAT! Which CORPSE in PARTICULAR do you MEAN?"

At Brenwicke's Books...

Morton, glad at having received something like directions, thanks the woman.

"Oh, thank you, just knowing the name is a great help in and of itself! I might've gotten directed to this bookstore again by chance, no doubt, what with how infamous it seems to have become today. Hm... are these events common? My time here in the city has been quite pleasant and quiet, really, I'd never've thought such if so."

"Um... no, not really. Most of the criminals we've got are swiftly dealt with... ones that aren't usually have magic, and they don't last too long, either. You see, the guards have got mages working for them, too. They're really good, too. Usually, when stuff like this happens, guards are much chattier about it. Not a common thing at all, shocking crimes in bookstores."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: October 09, 2013, 02:34:38 pm »

Clamber to feet, swinging spike chairs all over the place to deter guards.

Last chance by Viking merit - why do you assault me?

Inquire as to guard intentions, continue running away while using chair arms to slap away pursuers. Try to run towards the harbor.
Sig! Onol

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: October 09, 2013, 03:51:01 pm »

Go inside the shop, then say:

-Excuse me sir, how much would you charge for attaching four limbs to a metal skeleton? They were removed with tools, but they should be able to be fused again.

((Would the term "weld" be used in this setting?))
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 719