Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542937 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #7665 on: November 08, 2013, 08:52:25 pm »

Examine closely the rule about "no magic" in the knot of the paper, if there is one.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #7666 on: November 08, 2013, 08:58:20 pm »

[504 walls]

Morton politely waits until Art was done talking with the new guest, Justine from the sounds of it. Hm... That name sounds familiar... Wait, didn't Art say something about someone named Justine being in their group? Before Master Artiste? Yes, that's right, he did! Seems she's a second chancer now, how wonderful to be given another chance at life!

Now that there seems to be a lull in the conversation, he introduces himself as any self-respecting and polite desk should. "Salutations, mage Justine. It's always a pleasure to meet a fellow second chancer; my name is Carter Morton, but most of my friends just call me Morton. I'm afraid I might have to disagree with your assessment on good mage Art, I assure you he's a phenomenal necromancer."

Greetings out of the way, the desk turned to Artiste. "Good master Artiste, have you seen good mage Erin or good sir Captain? We need their help most expediently, chef Niklas is in grave danger."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7667 on: November 09, 2013, 05:40:54 am »

In a kitchen...

Niklas retrieves absolutely nothing from anywhere, as he has no pockets, being a squirrel. And there are no squirrel-sized cooking pots around here, either. Niklas finds this to be disappointing, but not entirely surprising.

In the cargo hold of the Second Shank...

Sigmund takes a closer look at the anti-magic laws surrounding the piece of paper. The main rule is "no magic", unsurprisingly, but, vague as such an instruction is, it requires further clarification.

The "no magic" knot is composed of several substrands. Firstly, nothing written on the paper is to be taken as an instruction upon the universe, with or without confirmation of an external entity. Secondly, the paper itself is not allowed to change its shape or the shape of other objects, even those like itself, wantonly or according to the whims of a user. Thirdly, the paper is not allowed to illogically and non-physically influence other objects or souls in any way, possible or impossible. Fourthly, the shape of the paper is strictly disallowed from imposing itself upon its surroundings or inducing other similarly-shaped objects to do the same. Fifthly, the fibrous cellulose structure of the paper is similarly prohibited from doing anything like that as well.

From there, each of the sub-rules extends downward almost infinitely, with terms explaining what the universe is, what the paper is, what's a soul-bearer and what any of the other terms in the law mean. It's shaped very much like a pyramid, in a way, and Sigmund can discern more than a bit of unwieldiness about the whole thing, not to mention a lack of redundancy in the structure. Also, there appears to be a little fraying at some points, and the knots are a little grubby from disuse.

Finally, while the core of the knot, the main rule, is untouchable as far as Sigmund can see, the same does not necessarily apply to the more distant bits, such as the one that defines who Sigmund is in this particular configuration, which is already leaning against his face in an unpleasant, pointy manner.

On the deck of the Second Shank...

Morton goes on being polite to the somewhat irritable-looking ghost on deck.

"Salutations, mage Justine. It's always a pleasure to meet a fellow second chancer; my name is Carter Morton, but most of my friends just call me Morton. I'm afraid I might have to disagree with your assessment on good mage Art, I assure you he's a phenomenal necromancer."

"Oh, salutations to you as well, second-chancer! I hope your day of perpetual enslavement has been as wonderful as mine. And I was merely jesting about our mutual friend, obviously. Of course I am thankful to him or her or whatever for getting me subjected to service from which death was but a temporary respite."

"That was hardly even my fault!"

"True, but it does not really change the fact that I rather dislike you for a multitude of other reasons as well."

"You've gotten a lot crabbier since your death."

"Reflection upon certain events does that to you."

As the Artiste listens carefully to the conversation, Morton grabs his attention with a question.

"Good master Artiste, have you seen good mage Erin or good sir Captain? We need their help most expediently, chef Niklas is in grave danger."

The Artiste looks around.

"Not entirely sure. I suppose Erin might still be asleep, though I can't say for sure, and the Captain was right here moments ago. Not sure where he went."

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7668 on: November 09, 2013, 08:29:02 am »

((Oh, Harry, you are a genius. This magic system of creating loopholes is awesome!))

Determine the presence of a loophole in the "nothing written on the paper is to be taken as an instruction upon the universe" part, specifically what is considered as written.

((I love this game more and more each day))

EDIT:
((A classification of the magic used by the players:
-James (life magic): bypassed the first law.
-Samuel (cane and skull magic): bypassed laws from two to five. As he got a 5 in creation, he would have been able to bypass the first one if he had tried to write on the cane, but this is speculation.
-Niklas: bypassed part of laws three and four, thus allowing him to control chairs but not to create nor transform them.))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7669 on: November 09, 2013, 11:42:52 am »

Scratch 'You rude sheep fondling bastard' (possibly with crude drawing) where the sailor just vacated and go see the bloke on the roof.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7670 on: November 09, 2013, 04:36:48 pm »

"Thank you, good Master Artiste. I'm sure good sir Captain hasn't wandered far; I shall go see if good mage Erin has awoken yet. Hopefully she has, this is an instance of urgency I'm afraid." Morton was about to take his leave until he saw something both worrying and strange.

"Good jester Kevin?" ...Oh dear. "What in the world happened, are the others alr--Er, I'm dreadfully sorry, I would help you right now if I could, but I have to see to Chef Niklas before we lose him. He's in an even worse state I'm afraid. If you don't mind, could you come with me and explain along the way? I understand if you're busy however, but I'm in a touch of a hurry. I can set you on top of myself if you wish, it wouldn't be much bother." Morton cleared off his surface of any objects if needed, stowing them, and if Kevin agreed he would try to carefully hoist him on top of himself. Otherwise he'll hurry off to go check on Erin.

First he checked the den and kitchen inside the ship, in case Erin hopefully awoken, but failing that will check her room by knocking.

Nunzillor

« Reply #7671 on: November 09, 2013, 06:32:36 pm »

((Lawyers: the best wizards!))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7672 on: November 09, 2013, 06:34:35 pm »

Niklas chitters in indignation! It seems he would have to make do with substandard pots.

Dig a pit in the ground.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7673 on: November 09, 2013, 07:33:27 pm »

[Man, I love nitpicking rules, sounds like my kind of magic system. Something that may benefit is looking at a person's focus to see how they did it. That divination book or necromancy book Mark has would be a good bet to look at for hints if needed.

Course, this makes me curious. Are the rules different for different people? What would one see if they looked at Artiste's knot?]

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7674 on: November 09, 2013, 07:40:22 pm »

[Man, I love nitpicking rules, sounds like my kind of magic system. Something that may benefit is looking at a person's focus to see how they did it. That divination book or necromancy book Mark has would be a good bet to look at for hints if needed.
I haven0t considered this, I was planning to create a loophole regarding what is considered written in it, possibly needing to create an altogether different language to do that, but your idea is far better.
Course, this makes me curious. Are the rules different for different people? What would one see if they looked at Artiste's knot?]
The question is: do we really want to know?

Nunzillor

« Reply #7675 on: November 10, 2013, 03:33:55 am »

((But forbidden knowledge is the most fun and Fun kind of knowledge!  Of course you do.))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7676 on: November 10, 2013, 04:18:10 am »

((And we still haven't figured out what the Artiste is exactly. It may be worth looking at his knot.))
"Oh, hey Morton. What'd you say about Niklas?"
Kevin follows Morton.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 12:29:10 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7677 on: November 10, 2013, 12:24:40 pm »

((And we still haven't figured out what the Artiste is exactly. It may be worth looking at his knot.))
"Oh, hey Morton. What'd you say about Niklas?"
((Considering the difference in timezones (or Xanmyral's shedule for that matter), maybe you should put more input in your dialogue, or straightfoward agree in going with him, because these conversations have proved to last forever.))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7678 on: November 10, 2013, 01:02:00 pm »

[Another thing to consider is this: The "no fun" rule is broken all the time, so it could be used as an example to see what bends or breaks it. If it can be broken, then surely that can be applied to the other rules as well.]

"Chef Niklas is in a terrible, terrible state! He's been reduced to a pile of molten metal in the middle of an intense heat, scorching the road and glassing the streets. He's still alive though, how I'm not sure but that matters little, we have to help him for they won't leave him there forever. I'm trying to find good sir Captain to get him out of the heat, and good mage Erin to hopefully give him form again."
Morton explained with a slight flare of dramatics.

"I wish the same could be done to you, but I'm afraid that, due to the transformation upon us, good mage Erin would be hard pressed to fix."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7679 on: November 10, 2013, 01:21:12 pm »

"Don't worry, there's a smith willing to help me. Altough he's working on that tree-head thing right now..."

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 719