Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542622 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #8355 on: January 13, 2014, 08:17:49 pm »

[By pen, do you mean something more modern or just short hand for an inkwell and quill? Gotta ask 'cause magic throws technology a loop usually. I wouldn't be surprised if simple 'simple thin metal sticks enchanted to have one end leave ink on stuff when turned on' being a thing in this 'verse.]

[I'll work under the assumption of 'inkwell and quill' just to have something out there.]

The desk will trundle towards the duckination... Nah, that's not quite right. Aduckination? No, no... Abomiduck? Good enough. Regardless of (if at least to himself) amusing portmanteaus, the desk speaks to the abomiduck.

"Mage Evelyn, if you perhaps have the time I'd like to ask you a few questions about enchantments and the like. I'm interested in seeing how they work, and if possible perhaps try my hand at something quite basic. Nothing fancy, I assure you, but I was hoping that perhaps just making an object magical might be a good place to start."

The desk will remove the top off of the inkwell and place it by Evelyn, along with setting a sheet of paper down (and keeping a hand on one of the edges to make sure it stays in place). Morton was keeping purposely vague to avoid spoiling the secret to Justine, although was also trying to not be too vague so that it wouldn't be looked into. If what he knows about diviners are true, hiding things from them can be a pain. They must always be disappointed with surprise parties.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 08:55:19 pm by Xanmyral »

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8356 on: January 13, 2014, 09:12:05 pm »

Mark give's the plans to master then goes and prepare's party materials

(( I wonder how much like Pinkie Pie I can make this guy let's see; intelligent, check; no concept of personal space, check : no sanity, check: throws party's, soon : bends reality, not check. Need to fix that :D))
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:48:12 am by killerhellhound »
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8357 on: January 14, 2014, 06:20:47 am »

[By pen, do you mean something more modern or just short hand for an inkwell and quill? Gotta ask 'cause magic throws technology a loop usually. I wouldn't be surprised if simple 'simple thin metal sticks enchanted to have one end leave ink on stuff when turned on' being a thing in this 'verse.]

[I'll work under the assumption of 'inkwell and quill' just to have something out there.]

Actually, it's more like a fountain pen. Not magical at all, as it usually is with things created by Erin.

The desk will trundle towards the duckination... Nah, that's not quite right. Aduckination? No, no... Abomiduck? Good enough. Regardless of (if at least to himself) amusing portmanteaus, the desk speaks to the abomiduck.

"Mage Evelyn, if you perhaps have the time I'd like to ask you a few questions about enchantments and the like. I'm interested in seeing how they work, and if possible perhaps try my hand at something quite basic. Nothing fancy, I assure you, but I was hoping that perhaps just making an object magical might be a good place to start."

The desk will remove the top off of the inkwell and place it by Evelyn, along with setting a sheet of paper down (and keeping a hand on one of the edges to make sure it stays in place). Morton was keeping purposely vague to avoid spoiling the secret to Justine, although was also trying to not be too vague so that it wouldn't be looked into. If what he knows about diviners are true, hiding things from them can be a pain. They must always be disappointed with surprise parties.

Evelyn nods and takes the pen in her rib-beak, starting to write immediately.

Enchanting is not overly complicated, it simply requires one to focus their will into an object while having a very clear image of what needs to be accomplished. This can be done reliably with practice, and highly unlikely without practice. It is similar to creating a focus, except it is not linked to a user and acts constantly or upon a certain condition. Constant effects are easier to add than conditional ones. Do not try to enchant things right away. You are likely to cause the death of both yourself and other people if you do. Instead, practice these chants.

The abomiduck then writes out three different strings of complex, difficult syllables. The first has the words Empty Mind Chant - use with caution written next to it, the second has Single Thought Chant - beginning here recommended in the same location, the third has Listening Chant - for increased understanding appended. The chants seem to be real tongue twisters, at least in some places. Once Evelyn is done jotting each string down, she adds a note at the bottom of the sheet: Take care with chants. Mental side effects may be observable from use.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8358 on: January 14, 2014, 02:25:55 pm »

The desk reads the sheet over as Evelyn writes. While saddened that his glorious quest will have to be postponed temporarily, the butler understands the need of safety and not dying horribly. After all, who could he serve tea to should his second chance be up? Nobody! Oh the tragedy.

"Gracious thanks, mage Evelyn. I have a few more questions, if that's quite alright. This seems like quite the subject one should be prepared for, after all." The desk places a second, empty mind you, sheet of paper where the prior one was. That sheet of paper now stashed in a drawer of his for safe keeping and future speculation. Don't want the chants to be both difficult to read and difficult to say.

"What exactly do you mean by side effects? Is it something to take caution to avoid, or perhaps an expectation? Do you perhaps have any final advice?"
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:27:30 pm by Xanmyral »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8359 on: January 14, 2014, 02:55:26 pm »

"Curious. What did you say about a huge construct that you made or something...?"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8360 on: January 14, 2014, 05:58:54 pm »

"Here, let's try this outside. I might even be able to pay you back."
Go outside with her. Perform some tricks on the street for cash.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8361 on: January 14, 2014, 06:45:56 pm »

On the deck of the Second Shank...

Sigmund, not having heard the tremendously huge ship-scuttling explosion from the cargo hold, practices his windy magic with his one good focus, leaning against the wall of the aftcastle.

[Sigmund's magic roll: 6]

Air begins to funnel toward him rapidly, pressing him into the wall with its sheer speed. Anybody looking Sigmund's way presently - like Justine, for instance - can't help but smile at the way his cheeks start to move as a result of the wind. It's so amusing, in fact, that she forgets to pay attention to the nearby Niklas, who has just snapped out of his chair coma and is trying to be loud and disruptive.

"HELP! HELP! I'VE FORGOTTEN WHAT I WAS DOING AND NEED HELP!"

The painted guy steps over to Niklas calmly.

"I do believe you were telling me a story."

"No, I believe it was something... more strenuous! You, my dear, were trying to reach your own hindquarters with the back of your head, I believe. Can you try that again for old Niklas, please?" he asks slowly.

"Hm... that does sound fun!"

In that very moment, his torso folds suddenly in half like a flat sheet of paper, the back of the man's head tapping against the man's left buttock in a second. The upper half of his torso then snaps back into place without a sound.

"And it was! It was fun!"

"Wait, I think it was something else... now, my dear, let's try... you wouldn't know how to tie a figure-of-eight knot, would you? No, of course you-"

"Wait, that's an even better idea!"

The man suddenly elongates, tying himself into a figure-of-eight knot surprisingly elegantly. And he even keeps his arms and head in roughly the same place in the process.

"Say, that looks pretty cool. I think I'll keep it that way for now!"

"No... still not it, dear. But you're doing great, yes. Keep doing that. I'm trying to remember..."

Really, Niklas is trying to think of some way to further exploit this guy. It's no fun when it doesn't hurt anyone!

Scott, who still has no limbs, wonders if he can do anything fun now. He looks at a nearby barrel. That looks like a good target!

[Scott's telekinesis roll: 1]

It seems to do something, but then Scott realizes that's just himself flying through the barrel and landing in the sea. Though it doesn't hurt or anything, it feels kind of weird to phase through things like that, he thinks. Not fun at all... until he gets used to it, he supposes.

Rounding off the company on board is Morton, who has just received a complement of chants.

"Gracious thanks, mage Evelyn. I have a few more questions, if that's quite alright. This seems like quite the subject one should be prepared for, after all," he says, taking the sheet of answered questions and placing a new one in front of the abomiduck. "What exactly do you mean by side effects? Is it something to take caution to avoid, or perhaps an expectation? Do you perhaps have any final advice?"

Evelyn's answer is brief.

Mostly hallucinations. Sometimes elaborate ones. Some endure them, some indulge in them, some disbelieve them. Disbelief may be the wisest strategy, but others have their good points as well. Final advice - do not get hasty. Ever.

While all this fun business happens on deck, the action stops for a moment when something begins to happen. That something appears to be the ship beginning to rise from the sea. An astute observer may note the sudden absence of both the shades and the Captain, though there does seem to be a shortage of those on deck presently. The rising is gentle, barely noticeable - it's easier to notice the accompanying low hum, actually.

In the den of the Second Shank...

Mark, after giving his master plans a quick look again, decides to deliver them to the Artiste immediately. He heads up to the deck, where the Artiste is found watching that wizard guy contort himself at Niklas' command. He hands the papers to his master, who seems confused.

"Uh... thank you?"

Good enough! Mark then looks for party supplies. Since there weren't any party favors that he could locate in his ship-check, he supposes he'll have to fashion his own... but then he'd have to craft them from something. But the only thing he's qualified to properly work with are corpses, and though those would make exquisite party favors, there's two, no, wait, three problems - Mark wonders whether that's a rational use of his limited corpse resources, Mark fears that if he makes them now, they'll spoil, plus there seems to be a dangerous-looking floating sheet of paper in the cargo hold.

Back in the den, though, Kevin pursues interesting avenues of conversation.

"Curious. What did you say about a huge construct that you made or something...?"

"Oh, was that a funny one. Get this, a huge machine meant for war - at least eight stories high, it was. Or was it ten? Eh, doesn't matter - there's this giant construct that's supposed to smash things. Then its master gets offed and it's left standing around. And then it gets to thinking, which leads to this epiphany that it wants to be a force of creation rather than destruction and that it has a lot of untapped potential that servitude simply wasn't helping to develop. So it walks off and starts building castles from debris. I get sent to fix the problem - hey, can always use a huge engine of destruction, right? But what do I find? The damn thing has its soul wedged in there so tight and affixed to so many triggers and contingencies, even its master's death - the guy actually soulbound it, too - couldn't rip it out of its frame. It described the feeling it felt as 'a slight discomfort of unknown origin'. Unbelievable. So I do the next best thing - get it under contract doing controlled demolition, cleanup and reconstruction. That made the thing happy. Best part is, it agreed to it despite getting paid nothing and being obligated to remain in service for a thousand years. Sweet, huh?"

The rising of the ship is also evident down here, though obviously with fewer signs like the town becoming increasingly less visible. Kevin's not sure, but he thinks Lizzie's eyes flash a little with realization. He gets the feeling that if she could actually smile, she would right now.

In an artifact weapon-pet store...

Darren has a new idea. He has to drum up some enthusiasm here.

"Here, let's try this outside. I might even be able to pay you back."

"Very well..." the woman says resignedly, and they both head outside. At this point, Darren realizes there is nobody around here. At all. The streets are completely silent, with the nearby buildings looking completely untouched. He thinks he can see tracks in the dust covering the streets, but those don't look like human tracks.

"Everyone is dead," the woman states. "Except me, you and the pets."

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8362 on: January 14, 2014, 10:24:23 pm »

Mark goes to Erin and asks on a peace of paper "can you transmute some party materials please"
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:48:09 am by killerhellhound »
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8363 on: January 15, 2014, 12:12:42 am »

The desk gives a desk-nod to Evelyn, thanking her. "Wise advice. I'm in your debt, good mage Evelyn, thank you. You can keep the pen and paper if you wish, although I'm admittedly not sure where you'd keep it, otherwise I'll return them to the den."

More important steps closer to his goal, but slow ones from the sounds of it. Morton supposes this isn't entirely surprising, after all he is trying to learn magic. He must admit that enchanting is rather less... Flashy than he assumed.

After possibly returning the pen and paper, the desk will rest in the kitchen and retrieve the paper with the chants on it, looking over the chant of 'Single Thought.' Supposedly the easiest to begin with, according to Evelyn. Judging by its name, the butler assumes that it will probably allow him to focus on a single object or idea. That was easy enough considering his goal: tea. A wonderfully varied topic that is held quite dearly to him.

Best not dive right in though, recalling the abomiduck's advice. The desk will closely look over that chant's wording, trying to figure out how some of the trickier bits of it might be best pronounced before tackling it. It would be quite embarrassing to flounder over the quite tricky chant when he attempts it, after all. Times like this Morton wished he really had attended a prestigious school for butlering, surely they would of offered a course on enunciation.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:15:13 am by Xanmyral »

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8364 on: January 15, 2014, 03:06:16 am »

Go back to the ship and try focusing on something smaller, a loose nail perhaps?
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8365 on: January 15, 2014, 04:22:56 am »

Mark goes to Erin and asks on a peace of paper "can you transmute some party materials please"

Erin looks at the piece of paper, rising unsteadily from the deck.

"Shyeah. Totally."

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8366 on: January 15, 2014, 04:26:56 am »

Remembering the ring she was giving and its affects, takes it off her before she can cast then writes "You can have it back after"
My Sig

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8367 on: January 15, 2014, 04:39:57 am »

((*slithers in* Hey guys, killed the universe yet?))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8368 on: January 15, 2014, 04:41:55 am »

((*slithers in* Hey guys, killed the universe yet?))

Not yet. I'm currently trying to get things moving and end this overly long breather chapter before I start the next one.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8369 on: January 15, 2014, 04:44:13 am »

((Damnit guys! So disappointing. Has someone at least killed that damn bastard who kept wrecking my shit?))
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 719