Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542650 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #9090 on: February 28, 2014, 08:04:02 pm »

Rent a copy of the book and get to reading!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9091 on: February 28, 2014, 08:09:40 pm »

Keep looking for somebody, while being really close to stone walls if possible. Either if the bird manages to hit Sigmund or not, it will have its beak destroyed against solid stone.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9092 on: February 28, 2014, 10:18:51 pm »

Seeing that everything seems fine, the broken desk moves its way to the den, carefully, and finds something comfortable to set himself upright on. Perhaps a chair, or a table, or a footstool, something he can set under his broken half so that everything isn't tiled and disorienting, mostly.

Morton wonders what he should do. It seems that everyone is perhaps further below deck or getting to the ship, and he's certainly in no condition to do much sadly. The butler sadly recognizes that he would have trouble in probably even the simplest of tasks. The apostle of the tea leaf supposes he should do what he can, checking on what he has. He's sure he probably lost something in being split in two, but at least he has the most important part, the tea.

Move to den, prop self up so standing straight, check inventory for possible lost items due to being split in two like lumber! Investigate den for possible replacement parts!

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9093 on: March 02, 2014, 01:29:56 am »

"Yes, of course. I'll go and look for somebody else to buy them."
Get outside.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9094 on: March 02, 2014, 03:20:46 am »

"I'm...I'm not Jeremy..I'm Scott? I am a wierd floating head...can't you see that?"
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:50:35 am by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9095 on: March 02, 2014, 06:03:23 am »

"I'm...I'm not Jeremy..I'm Scott? I am a wierd floating head...can't you see that?"

"Well, of course I can't see you, Jeremy! Don't be stupid! Can't you see where you are?"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9096 on: March 02, 2014, 07:01:11 am »

~So, what do we do now?~

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9097 on: March 02, 2014, 07:03:03 am »

~So, what do we do now?~

~I dunno. Didn't have much of a plan for you aside from 'bring here, merge souls'. And I do have work to do.~

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9098 on: March 02, 2014, 07:31:28 am »

~Hm. Could you like, bring me back to that town? I can't believe that I'm saying this, but I sort of miss my companions.~

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9099 on: March 02, 2014, 07:40:36 am »

~Hm. Could you like, bring me back to that town? I can't believe that I'm saying this, but I sort of miss my companions.~

~Yeah, sure. Do you want to go right now?~

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9100 on: March 02, 2014, 07:42:20 am »

~Sure, I guess. See you later!~

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9101 on: March 02, 2014, 09:11:07 am »

"Well, of course I can't see you, Jeremy! Don't be stupid! Can't you see where you are?"
"It's Scott, and no I can't, where are we?"
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9102 on: March 02, 2014, 09:49:35 am »

"It's Scott, and no I can't, where are we?"

"We're somewhere that you can't identify by sight due to all the blinding light, Jeremy, that's where we are! Fortunately, in your absence I have formulated a plan, so rest assured that I haven't been idle. Oh no, not at all."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9103 on: March 02, 2014, 01:15:58 pm »

In a library in the Red Tower of Power...

Niklas quickly takes one copy of "On Metamagic", making sure to check with the librarian if it's permitted (it is, and it's free of charge unless he carries it out of here!), and then gets to reading, taking a seat at one of the reading tables.

The first chapter, appropriately enough, is titled "What In Gods' Names Is Magic, Anyway?", and explains the nature of magic to the best of its ability, and the section seems pretty long. Luckily, the book isn't too big on complex terminology at this point, and Niklas gets the rough gist of the chapter, which is that magic is not, among other things, an object, process or resource. You can't manipulate magic itself, because magic does not exist at all - it's merely an imaginary construct people have devised to explain what is, basically, the soul asserting itself on the universe.

The current paradigm in the magical community is that the universe is actually very malleable in its construction and laws, and nowhere is it more apparent than in its interaction with the soul. The soul, guided by the mind (at least initially - once the soul is guided by a mind for long enough, it can take on a mind of its own), can warp reality in any number of ways, though it is notoriously difficult for the average person to do such a thing. This warping of reality, or at least a formalized subset of it applied to certain objects, is called magic by most people. By calling it magic without understanding the principles, however, one invites quite a few misconceptions about how it works. Still, this chapter and the ones to come should clear up some of the confusion, or so the book hopes.

So, with that out of the way, the book explains, metamagic is essentially the manipulation of the soul's ability to impose itself on reality either way - both ways are equally useful, naturally, though increases in soul potential are highly dangerous, and can lead to hideous injuries unless practiced carefully. "How?", one might ask, and the simple answer is that the universe, while malleable, tends to react poorly when a lot of its laws begin to fail with great frequency. The results are obviously not pleasant, and tend to involve lots of strange occurrences.

A detail to remember is that there are no known natural material foci for metamagic - only written ones work, and they usually have to be pretty nonspecific, because one has no idea how the process of reality warping actually works - the current theory is simply a good approximation of its effects. A good hint on what more scientifically-inclined readers could eventually study, the book says, because the information would presumably be quite useful.

And all of that information was just in the first two chapters, Niklas thinks. Wonder what's in the rest.

In the streets of Mothdale...

Sigmund rolls away from the bird, then proceeds to resume his seeking of friendlies. Sadly, though, as he rolls through the streets, sticking close to the walls, he doesn't see anyone aside from some people occasionally poking their heads out of buildings, then, seemingly finding the dangerous state of the outside unsatisfactory, disappearing back into their abodes.

The city's pretty large, Sigmund thinks. Is it likely that he's going to find what he's looking for around here?

On the Second Shank...

Morton, seeing how everything seems okay, moves over to the den, becoming somewhat perturbed by the sound of rushing water coming from nearby, as well as the way the floor seems a little wet. When he arrives at the den, the perturbation only increases as he notices a rather large hole in the side of the ship through which water seems to be coming in. A very unfortunate development, he believes.

On the bright side, he doesn't believe he's lost anything after being split in half, given that all of his items were in his drawers, which he only had on one side. And he does notice that several of the wall panels appear to have fallen off, and those would probably serve as wonderful spare parts.

In an artifact pet store...

Darren guesses he can't oppose the woman's logic. After all, if one believes that mechanical slaves should not be allowed to have loving pets in their lives, who is he to say no?

"Yes, of course. I'll go and look for somebody else to buy them."

"Okay! Come back soon, yes!" the pet store lady says enthusiastically, smiling at Darren as he leaves. Once outside, the ghost wonders what to do next.

In a guest receiving area of Lizzie's mistress...

Kevin supposes it's time for him to leave now.

~Sure, I guess. See you later!~

~Happy trails, Kev.~

With a bright flash of light and the sped-up sound of a harpsichord tumbling down a flight of stairs, Kevin rapidly reappears elsewhere, in a place he recognizes as the harbor of the city he was in until recently. He notices the ol' Second Shank still floating, though it does look a little lower than it used to. And a little crooked. And surrounded by walruses.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9104 on: March 02, 2014, 01:20:42 pm »

Incredible! Universe, you will soon be my bitch!

Continue reading.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 719