Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542886 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #9150 on: March 06, 2014, 12:55:57 am »

Timothy hesitated for a moment. A long moment. He didn't think this would go down well.
Eventually he said, cautiously, "I uh, I finks we's gotted off on da wrong foots."

Yeah, that was putting it mildly. What's-his-name here was lucky to have any feet left.
"I was only just tries to help... 'cause I hears youse talk about how hungry you is, I wanted to gets you some foods. Gone to lotsa troubles to getsit, too."
He sighed sadly, still hovering in place. "I's real sorry. Not havin' much lucks wif being helpfuls lately. At least youse not be hungry now, right? I helps 'leasta little teeny bit?"

>Explain how I only intended to help the couple out, after hearing how what's-his-name was going hungry.
Point out that, even if his legs are kinda screwed, at least they have food now!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9151 on: March 06, 2014, 02:31:01 am »

Float back a bit. Try to stay away from the epicenter of the noise. Maintain the construct if possible, but try and portray the least menacing thing possible.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9152 on: March 06, 2014, 06:44:47 am »

Kevin helps Mark to fight the dolphins as they arrive
((We should really just get the fuck out of this town.))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9153 on: March 06, 2014, 06:50:16 am »

((From what I've read, you really should! Also: I just realized, I haven't encountered another player since the very first turn I was in the game :o))
Booze is Life for Yoink

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9154 on: March 06, 2014, 07:00:50 am »

((From what I've read, you really should! Also: I just realized, I haven't encountered another player since the very first turn I was in the game :o))
((Wow that's impressive which chapter was that))
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9155 on: March 06, 2014, 07:09:58 am »

((The end of Chapter Two. Although I did spend quite a long time in cold storage at one point, but still... Timothy hasn't had any relevance to the main plot (that I know of) in a long while. I have no idea where he is in relation to anyone else now, either.))
Booze is Life for Yoink

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9156 on: March 06, 2014, 01:02:10 pm »

In the library of the Red Tower of Power...

Niklas decides to set the text on enunciation aside for a bit and instead read up on his nonlinear linguistics - that one proves to be quite fascinating indeed, dealing with a subject as interesting as this. The first few chapters seem to be devoted to learning how to think in a nonlinear fashion - a skill that is quite integral to nonlinear writing and nonlinear reading, obviously, and Niklas tears into the texts and exercises with great enthusiasm. They're kind of like koans, but they actually make a lot of sense once you start to think about them in the right way, and they're not philosophical at all. As Niklas moves through them, he feels like certain bits of his mind are beginning to twist, and he starts to get the general gist of the radial, circular and prismatic modes of thought, if not the exact details - when he goes through all the exercises again, just to be sure, he feels much more nonlinear! Finding this to be worthy of some further experimentation, he goes through the thing again, in what is assuredly a manifestation of circular thought already.

He isn't sure when exactly he faded out of consciousness - it was rather weird to encounter the problem of sleep sneaking up to him like that. What was also weird, though, was the mix of prismatic, radial and circular dreams he had, none of which could be effectively relayed to a linear listener without them becoming more than a little confused.

Also, he's hungry, thirsty, and needs to pee quite a bit. All of these are relatively new sensations to him, or at least only barely remembered. They're not very pleasant.

The feeling of a good night's sleep, though, that he could certainly get used to.

At the harbor of Mothdale...

Sigmund, upon spotting Mark getting chased and abused by dolphins, looks for a handy cobblestone to suck into his gaping mouth - unfortunately, what he first takes to be a loose cobble instead proves something rather more organic. And when he attempts to regurgitate it rapidly at the uncouth sea mammals harassing his personal surgeon, not only does it not fly further than two meters, it also sprays a little. And it also tastes rather awful.

[Mark's escape roll: 1]

Mark, still about fifty meters away from the harbor, promptly trips on the exact loose cobble Sigmund was looking for, which makes the vampiric worm a bit sad. By the time he regains his footing, all three dolphins are upon him.

Morton, though, seems to have roughly gotten the idea of what Sigmund was doing, and, even though the worm is unfamiliar to him, attempts to hurl a flask the entire considerable distance to Mark.

[Morton's throwing roll: 3-1]

However, he can't quite seem to reach Mark with his flask, and it hits the ground about twenty meters away from Morton, which is saddening indeed. Kevin, who seems to also be interested in his compatriot's fate, tightens his grip on his board. These dolphins will pay for what they are doing, that much is certain. His resolve strengthening, he moves after Mark.

[Screechy vs. Mark: 1+2 vs. 1+2]
[McStrange vs. Mark: 4+1 vs. 2+2]

One of the dolphins begins to ineffectually beat Mark over the skeleton with his own stolen leg, while the other starts to chew on his tree in a rather nasty-sounding way. Neither do much damage, but they do seem to be hindering Mark's escape quite a bit, jumping all around him and menacing him with attacks from all fronts.

[Beakley's charge roll: 4]

And the third dolphin, arriving from whatever business kept it away beforehand, jumps rapidly toward Mark, seeking his death like some sort of sentient pebble flung from an infernal sling.

[Beakley vs. Mark: 3+1+1 vs. 3+2]

The bump it inflicts with its nose as it contacts Mark would surely slay a human being - however, Mark could never be accused of being one of those. Not these days, anyway.

[Kevin's movement roll: 6+1]

Luckily for Mark, however, Kevin has arrived to save the day!

[Kevin vs. McStrange: 3 vs. 4+1]

The board is... less than helpful. The strange dolphin barely seems to notice the strike as the board impacts its skull. There's just a slightly comical, wet bonk.

In a place of blinding white...

Scott listens to the voice's advice, and goes the other way. Just as he gets to an appreciable speed, the voice calls out to him again.

"Wrong way again, Jeremy! Better than before, but you need to correct your course a little! Go a bit to the left!"

Outside a ruined tavinn in Blynn...

Timothy, though hesitant, ultimately goes for telling it like it is to the guy.

"I uh, I finks we's gotted off on da wrong foots."

"You!" the woman says, recognizing Timothy pretty much immediately.

"Hm?"

"The voice that was badgering me earlier! That's who it is!"

"Oh."

"I was only just tries to help... 'cause I hears youse talk about how hungry you is, I wanted to gets you some foods. Gone to lotsa troubles to getsit, too. I's real sorry. Not havin' much lucks wif being helpfuls lately. At least youse not be hungry now, right? I helps 'leasta little teeny bit?"

"Food for broken legs? What kind of messed up gnome logic is that? Did you ask him to make a wish, too, and looked for ambiguous wording in that?"

"Now, come on, dear. He really was trying to help. And I'm not hungry anymore, so there's that."

"Everything's blown to shit now! Everything! Do you understand that?"

"I'm sure it'll be alright. Timothy can help us, you know."

The woman looks at the man with the broken legs in horror.

"Did he do something to you?" she asks.

"No... well, I don't think so, anyway. He just sounds trustworthy, you know."

"What the hell are you even talking about?"

The lady looks a bit frightened now, actually.

At the engineers' graveyard of the City of the Dead...

Darren retreats from the graveyard a little. It seems like bad news, you know. He also turns his telekinetic construction into something as harmless as anything he can think of - a reasonable dirt facsimile of a human baby! The insects react to this - all of them, actually. The nearest one immediately and, it has to be said, very gently lifts the construct from the ground, then begins to look around for something. The other insects also seem equally alarmed, taking a moment to inspect the creature, then beginning to scurry about, all intents of landscaping completely abandoned from the looks of it.

What strange creatures, indeed.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9157 on: March 06, 2014, 01:56:07 pm »

Hgfbgrl. Helsvar, are you there? Torkel? Tree guy?

Go stumbling along looking for faculties to get food and drink and have a pee. Take my books with me.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9158 on: March 06, 2014, 02:08:09 pm »

Grab Mark's severed leg and hit the nearest dolphin with it.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9159 on: March 06, 2014, 02:09:31 pm »

Grab Mark's severed leg and hit the nearest dolphin with it.

It's inside a dolphin's mouth currently, meaning you will need a roll to disarm. Continue?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9160 on: March 06, 2014, 02:10:35 pm »

Disleg, and yes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9161 on: March 06, 2014, 02:12:16 pm »

Disleg, and yes.

It also means that, unless you roll really well, that's actually two turns' worth of actions.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9162 on: March 06, 2014, 02:18:06 pm »

Oh.
Uh.
Then just keep hitting the dolphins.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9163 on: March 06, 2014, 04:18:58 pm »

"Any chance you can actually physically steer me out?!"
Follow directions.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9164 on: March 06, 2014, 05:10:31 pm »

Arrrghh. Why does he have to be so incompetent?

Same action, but making sure that I'm going to throw a cobblestone. Same targeting the most distracted dolphin and that.

((Somoene should lead the dolphins to the broken flask. Also, our highest threat is the leg dolphin. If we can grab that leg, then Mark would be mostly nice))

((Also, I'm regretting not carrying the hateful mushroom with us))
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 719