Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542950 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #9195 on: March 09, 2014, 09:49:38 am »

In the Red Tower of Power...

Niklas, his needs satisfied for the moment, sits down to read "Chanting: The New Method". It looks like a reasonably old book, at least thirty years old from the looks of it, so Niklas suspects the method described may not be all that new. Regardless, he digs in.

The book explains that the 'new method' it deals with is chanting itself, which seems to have been taking the magical world by the storm at the time of the book's writing. Chanting, compared to the then-standard, less effective method of using copious amounts of drugs to get oneself into the proper state of mind for reality alteration, has many virtues. For one, it is rather inexpensive. It is also easy to do (although there is a need for some background knowledge and reasonably good diction), and only in cases of improper use does it have notable side effects!

Chants, it explains, are tools used to attune the mind to a specific task, to concentrate it and remove distractions until only a singular purpose is left. The linguistic construction of chants was found and tested empirically at first, but now the principles are becoming clearer and clearer, though they are a bit too complicated to fully explain here. Due to their great utility and ease of use, chants are rapidly becoming the tool of choice for obtaining magic, the book says. It opens up with what it describes as the basic chant - the Single Thought Chant. While it was not the first discovered chant (that honor goes to the Empty Mind Chant), it is definitely the most crucial to any who hope to begin to wield magic without engaging in very difficult meditation techniques or extremely dangerous focus creation attempts.

There are several things to remember about chants - firstly, there are several kinds, and these correspond to different modes of thought. The most conventional ones are linear ones, and these include examples like the Single Thought Chant, the Empty Mind Chant, the Listening Chant, the Speaking Chant, the Cold Chant and others. While they are highly useful, they are somewhat limited in the power over the universe they grant - fortunately, there are others as well, for different thinking models. They are fewer in number, but their usage and research has been expanding at the time of writing, and it grants greater versatility, quickness and efficiency of reality alteration. Two-dimensional and three-dimensional thought patterns open up a whole lot of fascinating avenues for chanting and magic, and it is expected that future research will bear quite a lot of fruit.

Secondly, chants are frequently used in conjunction with one another. The most typical patterns are the Single Thought Chant followed by the Empty Mind Chant, and the Cold Chant followed by the Speaking Chant, though the latter serves no purpose in learning magic.

Thirdly, it is highly important to pronounce the chant as precisely, quickly and rhythmically as possible - that way they are most effective, though they may occasionally be too effective in some cases. Usually, when you're trying to chant, you should set aside about five hours of your day to deal with both the chanting itself and the mental aftermath.

In one of Mothdale's alleyways...

Scott decides to inform his friend in the other dimension that the portal is perfectly safe - he seems rather pleased!

"It worked! I knew it, Jeremy! I knew it!" it says, then Scott feels a prominent shifting in the area as something brushes past him, moving out of the portal, it seems - as it leaves, the whole place, previously so flooded with light that one could hardly see a thing, becomes immensely, infinitely dark instead, which is a bit of sensory shock for Scott. He looks around a moment, and notices blinding light coming from the portal now.

At the engineers' graveyard of the City of the Dead...

After watching the insects scurry for a moment, Darren decides to check if anything is amiss in the general area. However, the only things he can see are similar to what you'd see anywhere else in this part of town - ancient, still buildings made of steel, no apparent signs of life anywhere in the immediate vicinity. And the only sound, aside from a very distant dripping, seems to be the sound of the insects moving around the graveyard.

In fact, he can't even hear any other constructs in the vicinity. They must not be working very actively in this section of town.

At the harbor of Shriekpot...

Within one of the nearby houses, Sigmund attempts to loot the sword! Sucking it into his mouth, he is rather surprised when it pierces through his mouth, the blade poking out of his body. Nevertheless, he tries to get back to the others before it's too late.

[Sigmund's movement roll: 4-1]

This proves to be... a difficult task, to say the least.

Morton, meanwhile, tries to reach his compatriots as well.

[Morton's movement roll: 1-1]

However, since his movement rate averages out at .5 meters per second, he quickly reconsiders this strategy and tries to lob a flask in Mark's direction instead.

[Morton's throwing roll: 3]

The flask falls a little short, landing about three meters from Mark's prone form - the glass probably won't be enough to cause serious damage to anybody, but at least it's something!

Mark, who is currently prone and lying next to a canal, tries to get up.

[Mark's balance roll: 6]

Naturally, it's hardly difficult for him to do this at all - with a stylish twirl and an upward leap from a prone position, he manages to regain his standing position without any trouble at all, and tries to finish the grandiose maneuver with a timely prayer, bending his knee and trying to reach the goddess of war herself!

[Screechy vs. Mark: 5+2 vs. 4+3-1]

His attempts at divine address, though, are disrupted by one of the dolphins whacking him across the tree with his own leg. It's quite unpleasant.

[Punt: McStrange vs. Mark: 4+1 vs. 2+3]
[Punt: Beakley vs. Mark: 1+1 vs. 4+3]
[Counterattack: Mark vs. Beakley: 6+2 vs. 2+1]

After dodging another dolphin, Mark notices the strong-tailed one making a rather dire error - thinking that leap thing it does can surprise anybody more than once or twice. As the creature launches itself at Mark, the skeleton swings his halberd in a diagonal fashion, separating the dolphin messily in half - as the two halves land in the water, Mark suspects it'll stay down. The sight of their comrade perishing, strangely enough, seems to cheer the other dolphins, whose bloodlust only seems to become much more pronounced as a result.

Kevin, meanwhile, looks around for a weapon - it takes him quite a bit of time to notice the worm in the distance - it seems to have somehow stabbed itself with a nice-looking sword! Kevin jogs over to it in a leisurely pace, and takes a moment to remove the weapon.

[Kevin's delicate removal roll: 5]

He even manages to cause very little damage to the worm's mouth in the process! He wonders if the worm is now in his debt, to be honest.

Outside a ruined tavinn in Blynn...

Timothy is quite excited about the way the guy seems to be standing up for him!

"Yes! I's gonn' be real helpful! I brings you all da food youse can eat, keeps you all hideaway'd from dem weird peoples in da middle-town, we can goes on adventures together, sees lotsa places, all sortsa fun stuff!" he says, smiling manically before the entire business with how he smashed this guy's legs and livelihood pops back into his memory. "Er, well, once youse legs is fixed, anyways. Maybe I's not helps so much wif dat, is not uh, a real-goods idea..."

"Is you knowing abouts fixin' legs an' stuff?" he asks the lady after a short pause.

"What did you do to him, you bastard?" the lady spits out at him instead.

"It was an accident, dear! Don't blame the poor guy!"

"You messed with his head, didn't you? Didn't you?" she asks furiously of the air, having no notion of where Timothy might be. "Why? Why would you do that?"

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9196 on: March 09, 2014, 10:31:57 am »

The worm looks at Kevin, than at the dolphin holding the leg, and burps, facing it.

Bodyslam the leg dolphin. Faceburp and generally be annoying.

((What is the best use of limbless ally? Being a meatshield. Hell, the dolphin even uses blunt weaponry, that I hope is pretty useless against an unliving flesh worm))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9197 on: March 09, 2014, 10:57:36 am »

CHARGEEEE
Kevin then realizes that it is probably not a good idea to charge aggressive dolphins standing at the edge of a dock, with destructive walrusses waiting below.
Run back to the dolphins, make sure to stop properly and then attack the dolphins!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9198 on: March 09, 2014, 11:07:49 am »

Morton rallies at the sight of one of the aggressive dolphin's demise, trying to make his way closer so he can render aid. He thinks against throwing another flask, his supplies are horribly dwindling and it would be more of a mess to clean up afterwards. That, and his allies are charging at the enemies, his allies whom aren't made of metal.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9199 on: March 09, 2014, 12:31:41 pm »

Now, to follow his friend to FREEEEEEDOOOOM!

"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9200 on: March 09, 2014, 05:47:03 pm »

Charge put the dolphins between me and the water then attack some more
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9201 on: March 09, 2014, 10:44:22 pm »

Follow the dripping. No better idea, after all.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9202 on: March 10, 2014, 12:51:13 am »

"What?"
Timothy was genuinely puzzled by the woman's words. His invisible brow twisted up into a wrinkly frown as he stared at her in confusion.
"I not did nothings to his head, the ghost explains with boundless patience, speaking slowly and clearly as though to a small child, "Is his legs what's all smashed up. An' dat was all accident, anyways! I not be makin' dem mistakes again, no, I's be real proper helpful now ons, dun' worry."

>Calmly explain to this strange lady that I've done nothing to his head, it's only his legs that I have (accidentally) damaged.
Hopefully she'll calm down and do something to fix it, so that we can all get to work being friends and stuff.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9203 on: March 10, 2014, 03:23:56 pm »

At the harbor of Shriekpot...

Sigmund, hoping that he will finally be able to put his bulk to some use, tries to slam into one of the dolphins!

[Sigmund's movement roll: 4-1]

He even manages to reach a dolphin in a semi-timely manner to do this, in fact.

[Sigmund vs. Screechy: 1 vs. 1+1]

But the whole plan is marred by the way he seems unable to build up any speed, or even raise himself up high enough to annoy his enemy with some burping or whatever. Truly, if his form has a use of some kind, Mark has hidden it very well.

Kevin also has a pretty great idea he chooses to run with - he shall go forth and slash the dolphins. While making really sure not to charge, either! He jogs toward the melee, stops right before the dolphin with Mark's arm in its mouth and slashes.

[Kevin vs. Screechy: 6+2 vs. 2+1]

It is indeed gratifying to Kevin when the dolphin proves unready for his assault, succumbing to the series of slashes very much like a paper doll, the blade separating flesh with surprisingly little effort! With three diagonal slashes through its body, the dolphin is mostly slain, and lasts only a few seconds, shrieking something probably really nasty in whatever strange language these dolphins may or may not have devised before expiring noisily. Taking care of business, aw yeah!

Morton, noticing the battle begin to go in his comrades' favor, tries to involve himself more directly and provide aid.

[Morton's movement roll: 5-1]

Inspired by the hideous, yet entirely deserved violence, he gets over to the melee in record time, then ponders how best to provide aid. He decides that it would be best to try and impede the remaining dolphin somehow rather than try to attack it directly, and attempts to discreetly get underfoot (undertail?) while Mark performs a combat maneuver.

[Morton's impediment roll: 5]
[McStrange's balance roll: 6]

As he nearly trips the strange dolphin, he notices the creature direct its attention toward him - it looks rather enraged by the way all this broken furniture seems to be lying around like this is some kind of ruined office or whatever! It begins to flip out in place, shrieking at the skies defiantly, and after a moment of that, immediately rips Mark's leg out of its fallen comrade's mouth, waving it around in a declaration of war on this terrible, terrible universe.

[Mark's movement roll: 1]

Mark is rather impressed by the spectacle. So much so, in fact, that he entirely neglects to try and attack the distracted dolphin, or do much of anything, in fact.

At a place of inky dark...

Scott, having informed his new friend and thus fulfilled his citizen's obligation, heads out into the normal world and freedom again.

He finds it to be filled with blinding light, which makes it rather impossible to see.

"I had forgotten how spacious the material world was! Pretty amazing, isn't it, Jeremy?" comes the voice of his friend again.

At the engineers' graveyard of the City of the Dead...

Darren, having absolutely zero ideas on what else to do, goes off to investigate the distant dripping, heading back into the streets of the engineers' quarter. It is not too difficult to find, and turns out to be - surprise, surprise - water! Dripping from a cavernous ceiling onto the ground in the middle of a partially collapsed alley for what seems like a long time, judging by the sizable stalactite it's formed. The sound is regular, rhythmical and oddly mesmerizing, Darren finds.

Little surprise, then, that there seems to be another ghost here. Another one of those strange ghosts - it looks more like a melted pile of flesh with two eyestalks and a single arm poking out of it than anything human, and seems to be tapping out a rhythm with said hand that seems to be out of sync by exactly half a beat with the dripping. The way its eyestalks are gently waving in the air give Darren a strong impression that the creature is at peace.

Outside a ruined tavinn in Blynn...

Timothy is unsure what this lady is talking about. He had better set her straight on all this business she insists on bringing up.

"What? I not did nothings to his head, he explains slowly. "Is his legs what's all smashed up. An' dat was all accident, anyways! I not be makin' dem mistakes again, no, I's be real proper helpful now ons, dun' worry."

The woman seems unconvinced.

"There it is again! You keep doing it! You talk, and everything gets foggy in my mind for a moment! What are you playing at, huh? What could you possibly hope to gain from doing this? Just put him back the way he was and kill us already, you asshole! And if you try that voice thing again, I swear I'll slit his throat myself!" she says, sounding a little hysterical.

"What are you saying? Timothy's trying to help!"

"That's not you talking. It's just what he wants you to think! He's bending you to his will somehow!"

"No, he's-wait. Why do I trust him? He blew me up! He's obviously working for the BCM!"

"You see! He's screwing with your mind!"

The man seems to agree, as his eyes widen and his expression hardens a bit.

"Maybe the food's poisoned, too? This probably all just a game to him. Mess with us before killing us, why not, right?"

"Come on, we've got to get out of here!" the lady says, quickly moving to grab her boyfriend and get on out of here. She doesn't seem to be quite able to move him effectively, though - Timothy would say the man's poor diet is to blame. How else can someone be so starved and yet so tubby?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9204 on: March 10, 2014, 03:29:28 pm »

What were those other books I got? The unified chant compendium? Read those.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9205 on: March 10, 2014, 03:40:50 pm »

"But... but... but..."
Timothy was hurt. Deeply and truly hurt. Just when he thought he'd been making some headway with befriending these people, suddenly he was right back where he started- worse, even. He felt betrayed. All he ever wanted to do was help, after all. Couldn't anybody see that?

Maybe everyone in this weird town was just as crazy as the ones in the middle. Timothy didn't know, he didn't really care to think about it right now. He didn't want to think about it. He had a sad. As his lower lip began to tremble and he felt the first few ectoplasmic tears slide down his face, the poor young ghost felt truly helpless.
He didn't know where he was, he had only just managed to escape from those weird Other-places, he'd lost his friends and now, just when he'd thought he was making some new ones, they decided to say mean things and leave him. What if he really was just some evil ghost-person, trying to cause people problems and kill them? He didn't think so, though. He really was just trying to help, wasn't he? Timothy didn't know what to think anymore. He sniffled loudly and blinked his eyes a few times, then began to sob.

>Burst into tears. Cry my eyes out like only a grotesque, half-mad little ghostly blighter can.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9206 on: March 10, 2014, 03:43:12 pm »

((Hell yes!))

Same plan as before, but with the dolphin that is still alive.

((Also, Kevin, that sword gave you a +2! You gotta thank me))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9207 on: March 10, 2014, 04:51:57 pm »

[Hm... So, will the dolphin go on a raged rampage on Morton, or pay attention to those attacking it? I guess that relates to if it thinks he's alive or not. Even so, it may just attack because of anger. I mean, did they see him chuck glass at them? Or were they paying too much attention to Mark?

Think I should defend, or pretend to be a broken desk set aside waywardly? 'Cause this dolphin could very easily kill Morton with that leg, I think.]

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9208 on: March 10, 2014, 05:06:23 pm »

Mark seeing the dolphin scream in rage at one of his injured friends got angry how dare this upstart who couldn't accept that it couldn't dance attack his friend.CHARGE!!!! rage attack on dolphin.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9209 on: March 10, 2014, 05:12:13 pm »

[Hm... So, will the dolphin go on a raged rampage on Morton, or pay attention to those attacking it? I guess that relates to if it thinks he's alive or not. Even so, it may just attack because of anger. I mean, did they see him chuck glass at them? Or were they paying too much attention to Mark?

Think I should defend, or pretend to be a broken desk set aside waywardly? 'Cause this dolphin could very easily kill Morton with that leg, I think.]
((I hope faceburping helps to distract him, hehe))
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 719