Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542793 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #9360 on: March 19, 2014, 04:50:13 pm »

Oh right, Niklas forgot to specify.
Search the shelves for methods of conduct concerning the gods, as well as the gods in general.
Probably also some sort of chanting manual if I haven't got that already.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9361 on: March 19, 2014, 05:13:55 pm »

"Hello Erin, have the almighty and most precocious Gub treated you well?"
Follow her.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9362 on: March 19, 2014, 05:38:43 pm »

"Oh, my magic is quite fun, trust me. I used to make money just having people watch."

Even if it is just sleight of hand.

Do some sleight-of-hand tricks.

EDIT:((I just barely noticed how poor of a color choice I made, so I'm going to change it to this , if you don't mind.))
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:57:40 pm by Spinal_Taper »

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9363 on: March 19, 2014, 05:52:49 pm »

Mark collects up the parts and heads into the city following Scott
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9364 on: March 19, 2014, 09:14:24 pm »

~How does this shit work??~

Attempt to fly. Do it by testing what I can do, or trying to simply will for it. If I can't help falling to the ground, procure that I fall on something soft (like plants or ashes, try to avoid water)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9365 on: March 19, 2014, 10:30:08 pm »

[So Morton's now a rat. Kinda hilarious considering he's a posh neat freak. Sad that his body is alive though, I'll have to be careful to avoid him, well, bleeding to death or something. I think that making something undead is just strengthening the bonds the soul has on the body though, isn't it? Might be able to at least make him an undead rat-thing. I think I can actually hear the first impression penalties stacking.]

Oh my, sounds like Gub is a bit busy. The ex-desk decides that perhaps now is a good time to leave Gub to his own devices, after all the butler has things he needs to get in order now.

"Oh dear."

The bodies are heavily disconcerting to the diminutive rat. While thankful for the body--alive too! A comforting-and-missed feeling for the second chancer--he isn't quite sure where he is nor where he was last in relation to now. Morton knew he and his friends were at the harbor, would they wait for him there?

The butler does a quick and more thorough check over of what he currently has on him (items and the like along with a rough estimate of his size versus the bodies), proper decency and cleanliness he most certainly hopes so, as well as begrudgingly and respectfully searches the bodies in the room. Carter says a quiet apology to each of them as he inspects them, and then tries to look inconspicuously out a window. The thought of his tea supplies unattended sends a chill down the poor posh-rat's spine.

The once-desk has to admit he's rather thankful he has actual gestures and body language again, one rarely realizes how one would miss something so simple unless they go without.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:39:19 pm by Xanmyral »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9366 on: March 20, 2014, 01:52:31 am »

Kevin hurriedly starts following Mark.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9367 on: March 20, 2014, 05:13:40 pm »

At the library of the Red Tower of Power...

Niklas decides to look for pertinent literature on contacting the gods - he decides to choose Them Crazy Deities by Arnold Q. Arnold, as the cover seems interesting enough and the pictures within juicy enough to inform him sufficiently upon the matter. When that's done, he tries to remember whether he had any kind of chanting manual.

A few moments pass before he remembers that yes, yes he does!

In the streets of Mothdale...

Scott decides to greet Erin and ask how she's doing, as that seems like the polite thing to do.

"Hello Erin, have the almighty and most precocious Gub treated you well?" he asks, causing Erin to jump more than a little. She stares at his form for a few seconds, tilting her head questioningly.

"Hrm..." she begins inarticulately, beginning to back away slightly from the ghostly shape. Her eyes are rather wide and distrustful, Scott notices. Is he really that creepy?

At a forming stalactite...

Darren assures the creature that he does indeed possess magic of interest.

"Oh, my magic is quite fun, trust me. I used to make money just having people watch."

He then demonstrates his amazing skill at entertaining sleight of hand, which seems to amuse the creature reasonably well.

"You're pretty good with your hands," it intones at him. "I love that in a man."

At the harbor of Mothdale...

Mark, after quickly gathering up an armful of body parts, decides to follow his old pal Scott - unfortunately, this idea proves entirely unfeasible, considering that Mark hasn't seen Scott in quite a while, at least not since the beach. Where could he have gone? Hm.

Kevin, who is eager to follow his much more decisive buddy before the inevitable realization that he seems to have absolutely no clue on where to go now, feels very disappointed. He thought he was going somewhere for a minute there.

~you are going somewhere!~ the voice of the gub speaks in his head. Uh...

[the gub's magic roll: 5]

In but a single instant, Kevin's poor, abused soul is ripped right out of his body, causing his fleshy form to convulse wildly for a second, then drop, lying on the ground for a second before a suitable replacement is shunted in, which causes the body to get right up and dust itself off.

Kevin himself, meanwhile, flies through the sky for a few interesting, if terrifying minutes before landing in a brand new body! It's a little strange, but he seems to be underwater now! He feels kind of fishy, and yet not really! What could it mean?

High up in the sky...

Sigmund realizes that he's going to have to learn how to fly.

~How does this shit work?~ he asks only semi-rhetorically.

~it operates on effort!~

Finding the gub to be of no help, Sigmund tries to figure out how he might do this - as he plummets downward, he has to admit that he has zero clues on how it might work - he seems to be able to deform his body slightly, and willing himself to fly does nothing at all, predictably enough. So he instead tries his best to find something soft to fall upon - like that pile of unattended straw!

Screaming through the air as he flies down into the straw, Sigmund feels very irritated in the sense that his sensitive outer membrane has now been poked by as many as several thousand tiny little needles that straw inevitably forms - however, he does manage not to splatter and perish horribly, so there's that!

In a room with a dirty ceiling...

Morton guesses he should continue this whole business of sorting out what's what. Firstly, he checks out his pockets, only to find that he doesn't have any. He does have a rather cute little pinkish outfit. It feels pretty nice and fluffy, even if it looks a little grimy. Also, he appears to be lying in the middle of a circle of tiny wooden animals and noisemakers. This in addition to the way he seems to be slightly less than half the size of the other apparently dead rat people in the room tells him quite a bit about the state of things - neither he nor the other bodies seem to have any injuries whatsoever.

Speaking of the bodies, they have nothing but somewhat useless and filthy things that get Morton's hands a bit dirty - he wonders if he should wash them now, really. Too bad there's no water. While considering the problem, he looks out of the window inconspicuously - he has to stand on his toes to do so, and even then he doesn't get too good of a view - a lot of burned buildings outside, he notices. The place he is located right now seems a bit more posh than the surrounding neighborhood, but it still has suffered obvious fire damage as well as lost all of its furniture, and does not seem altogether stable, to be perfectly honest. Morton wonders if it'd be safer outside.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9368 on: March 20, 2014, 05:39:49 pm »

Get out of the straw. Test my new body in any non-dangerous way I can think of.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9369 on: March 20, 2014, 05:44:59 pm »

Name: Rune, but nicknamed "Rick" (He has no idea why)
Archetype: Magic-remnants ghost. (Effectively, a powerful wizard who died, and is now effectively just a rapidly replenishing mana battery for wizards to draw from) ((If this race is not okay, then simply have me as a skeleton :())
Biography: Rune started life as a child in a village nestled in the mountains. His parents were both magicians - his father being a magician specialized in enchanting, while his mother preferred researching magical living organisms. He quickly learned to be a young little magician, and received his first focus at the age of 3 - he brought home an icicle one day, and his dad helped to enchant it into a focus. He then started messing around it, snowballing huts like crazy, and dominating anyone else in snow or ice based activities (Living on a mountain, almost all of the games were sledding or snowball fight based). As he grew a bit, his dad helped him enchant his second focus - this one was a tree-root from a rare tree with many magical properties. His mother actually discovered the tree, so she had plenty of root samples to go around. It allowed him to cast plant-based magic, and he sprouted a forest around the village, with the trees growing unnaturally close by to each other. His mother finally gave him the horn of a fire-based creature (It had some weird name, and he could never remember it). His father then enchanted it and made it into the now teenager's final focus. Three years after he became 18 (At the age of 21, effectively) his mother died in an accident caused by a massive explosion as a demon contained in an ancient prison broke free, decimating half the town. His father swore vengeance and nearly slew the demon before being flung far away by a powerful spell. Rune, siezed with fury, combined the power of all 3 focuses (Foci?) to tear the creature apart with thousands of spears of ice, fireballs raining from the sky, and finally, a huge root slamming out of the ground, flinging the demon into the sky. His father, nearly dead, managed to heal himself with a magical artifact he kept on him at all times. It ran out of power after he used it, and broke. He then made his way back to the village, and was despaired to find that his son had run completely out of any energy, and was nearly dead. All the magic use had exhausted the tiny supply he bore inside, and he was doomed. His father only had one way to stop his son from dying completely - he dashed into the magical artifact vault, which survived the explosion and massive battle, and grabbed one specific artifact. A tome, that was said to turn the living to the un-dead. He flipped randomly until he saw what looked like a blueish sort of ghost, then dashed back to his son. He chanted the words, and used the book as a focus. His son became preserved forever in the shape of a magic-remnants ghost, and was able to live again (Sort of). His father, then exhausted, fainted, and was in that state for many years, being fed by the surviving villagers in an act of kindness. Rune, or "Rick", never left his father until his father finally awoke, and said out loud to thin air "Thank you for waiting, so long.... You may now... go free... my son... I am proud of you... But I will always search for a way to bring you back..." After that, Rune traveled the lands until he was finally captured by Bernie and enslaved.

Too Long? :) Good.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9370 on: March 20, 2014, 05:51:09 pm »

[Hah, brick joke to just before he got turned into a desk.]

Morton frowns at the scene, as he starts mentally piecing it together. Seems Gub has given him the body of a child, perhaps a girl?  The butler feels terrible at this revelation, wondering if perhaps these others were the poor girl's parents.

He admits to not really knowing how to take the situation: on one hand, he's happy to have an alive body again that's vaguely humanoid, on the other he feels terrible of most likely having taken it from somebody who was using it just moments ago. But on the third hand, the apostle of the tea leaf didn't really have terribly much say as to where he would be, and is honestly a little afraid to raise an issue with it considering Gub's apparent hastiness and odd behavior. Who knows where he may end up next, quite possibly an even worse situation.

The butler tries to shove the issue out of his head for now and simply wished the family the best of luck and his apologies, and trying to wipe what grime he could off of his clothes. Morton then quickly looks over the rest of the building (if there is any beyond this room) for anything notable before hesitantly asking the Gub a question.

~Do you perhaps know where my old body is in relation to where I am now? I would be dreadfully appalled to lose my tea making supplies.~

Stealthily head that direction if one is given, otherwise go outside and look around (similarly with stealth) for signs of where the harbor might lay.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:52:40 pm by Xanmyral »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9371 on: March 20, 2014, 06:27:34 pm »

Name: Rune, but nicknamed "Rick" (He has no idea why)
Archetype: Magic-remnants ghost. (Effectively, a powerful wizard who died, and is now effectively just a rapidly replenishing mana battery for wizards to draw from) ((If this race is not okay, then simply have me as a skeleton :())
Biography: Rune started life as a child in a village nestled in the mountains. His parents were both magicians - his father being a magician specialized in enchanting, while his mother preferred researching magical living organisms. He quickly learned to be a young little magician, and received his first focus at the age of 3 - he brought home an icicle one day, and his dad helped to enchant it into a focus. He then started messing around it, snowballing huts like crazy, and dominating anyone else in snow or ice based activities (Living on a mountain, almost all of the games were sledding or snowball fight based). As he grew a bit, his dad helped him enchant his second focus - this one was a tree-root from a rare tree with many magical properties. His mother actually discovered the tree, so she had plenty of root samples to go around. It allowed him to cast plant-based magic, and he sprouted a forest around the village, with the trees growing unnaturally close by to each other. His mother finally gave him the horn of a fire-based creature (It had some weird name, and he could never remember it). His father then enchanted it and made it into the now teenager's final focus. Three years after he became 18 (At the age of 21, effectively) his mother died in an accident caused by a massive explosion as a demon contained in an ancient prison broke free, decimating half the town. His father swore vengeance and nearly slew the demon before being flung far away by a powerful spell. Rune, siezed with fury, combined the power of all 3 focuses (Foci?) to tear the creature apart with thousands of spears of ice, fireballs raining from the sky, and finally, a huge root slamming out of the ground, flinging the demon into the sky. His father, nearly dead, managed to heal himself with a magical artifact he kept on him at all times. It ran out of power after he used it, and broke. He then made his way back to the village, and was despaired to find that his son had run completely out of any energy, and was nearly dead. All the magic use had exhausted the tiny supply he bore inside, and he was doomed. His father only had one way to stop his son from dying completely - he dashed into the magical artifact vault, which survived the explosion and massive battle, and grabbed one specific artifact. A tome, that was said to turn the living to the un-dead. He flipped randomly until he saw what looked like a blueish sort of ghost, then dashed back to his son. He chanted the words, and used the book as a focus. His son became preserved forever in the shape of a magic-remnants ghost, and was able to live again (Sort of). His father, then exhausted, fainted, and was in that state for many years, being fed by the surviving villagers in an act of kindness. Rune, or "Rick", never left his father until his father finally awoke, and said out loud to thin air "Thank you for waiting, so long.... You may now... go free... my son... I am proud of you... But I will always search for a way to bring you back..." After that, Rune traveled the lands until he was finally captured by Bernie and enslaved.

Too Long? :) Good.
((I suggest reading through the whole game, or asking the GM on how this universe is first.
Things that you should know:
-There is no magical energy.
-Mages typically study for years.
-Foci are made personally (although the GM has hinted that proxy focus making exists, but we don't know to which extent)
-A demon is a god-like entity that can destroy you with a thought or something similar.
-Bernie is dead. The plot is terribly different from what happened at the start.
-Etc.))

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9372 on: March 20, 2014, 06:29:44 pm »

Well... I have about 500 more pages of reading to do. Disregard my character sheet for about 2 more years.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9373 on: March 20, 2014, 08:11:44 pm »

Well... I have about 500 more pages of reading to do. Disregard my character sheet for about 2 more years.
((Look on the bright side its full of crazy awesome and funny stuff))

Mark heads into the city pondering on what he could replace his leg with.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9374 on: March 21, 2014, 12:36:17 am »

"Ah, yes, that's, ah, thank you for the compliment. So. How about we hang out somewhere cool? Like in there."Darren gestures towards the artifact repository
Peer pressure!
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 719