Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 540858 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #9765 on: June 20, 2014, 03:55:09 pm »

"I'm sorry I intruded into this sweet tunnel!  Can you point us back to civilization now?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:57:13 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9766 on: June 20, 2014, 05:04:54 pm »

"I'm sorry I intruded into this sweet tunnel!  Can you point us back to civilization now?

The darkness does not reply, although another clack in the distance can be heard just as you finish your sentence.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9767 on: June 20, 2014, 06:29:47 pm »

-So, he is either unable to speak or understand us. Or he is still frightened. This means that this is not going to be a very fruitful endeavor, you know.

Go up, with whoever wants to go with me. Look for civilization.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9768 on: June 20, 2014, 11:57:26 pm »

[Sort of kicking myself for not asking about what is truly making her sad about the situation if it isn't his death, but now its too far away from the topic to broach without sounding off. Morton's is too polite to swing the conversation over to her dead husband and ask now that the topic has moved on. Being polite has its unfortunate downfalls to pragmatic bluntness.]

Morton pondered Justine's words. "Could it perhaps be good group Gub's? A vague memory of before his genuine mental awakening? Or... Perhaps the demon was cast out after the event? During, maybe? I'm afraid there is unfortunately quite little to go off of at the moment. Something quite peculiar has happened however, that I can most certainly see."

"Good sir Scott may be in the right, perhaps it would be wise to speak to the source and see their perspective on it? I fear we wouldn't elicit a helpful response if they were the perpetrators, but perhaps this was an event with affiliates of the Black Circle, but not sanctioned? A... Splinter group of sorts?"
The tea apostle was admittedly more going off of the dramatics than reality with his final comment, thinking back to his days at Camellia.

"Good lady Melville, I thank you for your hospitality although I apologize for the news we've brought. If you would indulge us for one favor? Do you perhaps have a map of the local region? I fear we may know little of the surrounding regions in as fine detail as a proper map."

Wonder at Justine's comment about a problem in the time line, agree with Scott about the need for more information (and silent disagreement with methodology) and ask Lady Melville for map.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9769 on: June 21, 2014, 02:38:38 pm »

In the Red Tower of Power...

Niklas, knowing a good plan when he sees one, follows his trusty sidekick Lifeboy toward the nearest excretion facility, since one can expect to find many important things in the head. Like the medulla oblongata, for instance. So he rushes off to find the throne room, and arrives rather shortly - a mage is always sure to have a bathroom nearby, as one never knows what could happen in the wild world of magic.

Inside, Niklas and Lifeboy both are greeted by a place of superb cleanliness! Porcelain floors, porcelain walls, porcelain ceilings, porcelain thrones, porcelain washbasins with running water! All of which appears to clean itself every few moments or so to attain that special sparkle. Frankly, Niklas hasn't ever seen a more pristine, sacred place in his entire life, and he's been to at least one primordial grove that he knows of. And it even smells completely inoffensively - in fact, it doesn't smell like anything at all, which is essentially the perfect state of affairs one could wish from a bathroom.

It appears to be completely unoccupied, though. But Niklas has faith - no matter where one's path may take them, one needs to visit the restroom eventually. So, if he were the type to play the long game, he could simply wait for Fat Candace to come over here rather than seek her out in any other facility, excretory or otherwise.

"Drat! Maybe she's in one of the other chambers?" Lifeboy wonders.

In the dark depths of an excavation...

Sigmund, unwilling to disturb whatever miners may dwell within here, knowing people of said trade to be a skittish lot in the best of circumstances and downright surly when cornered, decides to ascend, and Art appears to agree with this course of action, or at least follows the vampire up, leaving Kevin downstairs to try and repair whatever relations may have been damaged by these objectively terrible attempts at diplomacy he's been throwing at the dark.

As the other two disappear up the stairs, Kevin becomes aware of something - repeating clacks, slowly drawing closer, accompanied by an intermittent click or two and a low, continuous warble coming from what seems like close by.

Sigmund, meanwhile, attempts to find civilization along with Art - they are remarkably successful in this endeavor, since, as they come near the top, they notice an individual standing over the stairwell - a tall, nearly skeletal man with a completely shaven head and face, eyebrows and all. He seems to have a peg leg, and also a slightly tattered bright red robe. Both of his eyes are glowing quite brightly, and his teeth, currently bared in a grin, have visible, regular gaps between them.

"Hullo. Might I inquire as to what yer doing in my hole?" he asks, tilting his head and leaning in. "Prospecting, mayhap?"

In the dining room of Castle Melville...

Scott, hearing of the dark deeds of the Black Circle, has a bright idea.

"I vote we go to Eckledun and capture some of these fiends and use them for the Gub's purposes."

"A more deserving target than most, I admit," Justine says. "We could provide them with a taste of their own medicine, perhaps."

Tailor Craig says nothing, and merely looks slightly concerned.

Morton, meanwhile, seems to experience an exponential rise in questions he still has. First, he begins wondering about the demon cryptically.

"Could it perhaps be good group Gub's? A vague memory of before his genuine mental awakening? Or... perhaps the demon was cast out after the event? During, maybe? I'm afraid there is unfortunately quite little to go off of at the moment. Something quite peculiar has happened however, that I can most certainly seem," he ponders aloud, but Justine doesn't reply, so he just moves on to the next subject. "Good sir Scott may be in the right, perhaps it would be wise to speak to the source and see their perspective on it? I fear we wouldn't elicit a helpful response if they were the perpetrators, but perhaps this was an event with affiliates of the Black Circle, but not sanctioned? A... splinter group of sorts?" he wonders dramatically.

"There are no real splinter groups in the Black Circle of Magic," Lady Melville says. "Most of them do act more or less independently of each other or their masters, however, so what you propose is indeed possible. Then again, they are invariably an amoral lot, so getting them to care enough to interrupt their own business would prove difficult, I assume."

Pausing a moment to process this information, Morton has the thought that perhaps there is more business to attend to.

"Good lady Melville, I thank you for your hospitality although I apologize for the news we've brought. If you would indulge us for one favor? Do you perhaps have a map of the local region? I fear we may know little of the surrounding regions in as fine detail as a proper map."

"Of course, good sir. I have a great many maps in my possession - to part with one or two would be no issue at all," she says, turning to an empty patch of air near her and whispering to it. The air shimmers, then subsides. A few moments later, a small cube appears in Lady Melville's hands, and she places it on Morton's surface. "Here you are - an extending map. Slightly old, but it should work after a good rub. You may have it - I have quite a lot like it, and I feel I should compensate you somehow for all this information you've brought to my attention," she says.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9770 on: June 21, 2014, 03:01:20 pm »

-Oh, no. We were actually looking for the owner of the hole back in there. We are sorry to get there without your permission, sir, but we needed to ask for directions, and we came upon the only sign of civilization here, so we thought that maybe the owner was down there.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9771 on: June 21, 2014, 03:04:08 pm »

-Oh, no. We were actually looking for the owner of the hole back in there. We are sorry to get there without your permission, sir, but we needed to ask for directions, and we came upon the only sign of civilization here, so we thought that maybe the owner was down there.

"What directions are ya looking for?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9773 on: June 21, 2014, 03:31:57 pm »

-Well, we want to go to Eckledun

"Eckledun? 'Kay, so, I think that's kind of far from here. But I do know where it is - go down the stairs here, then follow the light - that's a tunnel. From there, go down the hillside and you'll get to the plains, and you'll see Eckledun from there."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9774 on: June 21, 2014, 03:32:08 pm »

"Uh... See ya!"
Kevin runs upstairs to join the others rather hastily.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9775 on: June 21, 2014, 03:43:58 pm »

Sigmund briefly thought that the strange man could be wanting to lead him (or, now that he remembers about it, her) into a kind of trap. Better to make sure that he is telling the truth:

-We didn't see any lights down there. In fact, it was too dark to see.

He turns to Art:

-Did you see any kind of light?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9776 on: June 21, 2014, 03:45:30 pm »

Kevin emerged, and saw the robed man.
"Oh, hello. Do you know what is going on down in that tunnel?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9777 on: June 21, 2014, 03:52:37 pm »

Sigmund briefly thought that the strange man could be wanting to lead him (or, now that he remembers about it, her) into a kind of trap. Better to make sure that he is telling the truth:

-We didn't see any lights down there. In fact, it was too dark to see.

He turns to Art:

-Did you see any kind of light?

"Naw, pretty sure ya can see it from down there. It's the tunnel right to the left when ya get off the stairs."

"Oh, that? That was a tunnel?"

"Ayup."

Kevin emerged, and saw the robed man.
"Oh, hello. Do you know what is going on down in that tunnel?"

"Not much. Why you asking?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9778 on: June 21, 2014, 04:17:28 pm »

Seal gizzard, I thought she'd be in here.
Hey Helsvar, where would you look for a woman of her stature?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9779 on: June 21, 2014, 04:28:19 pm »

I can't wait to try out a few ideas I have for my psychokinetic talents on this outing. I have free reign right Morton? Maiming some of these childers won't encumber the Artiste in any fashion right?...I WON'T BE SENT HURTLING INTO THE NETHER RIGHT? TO BE DEVOURED BY SOME CRUEL CAPRICIOUS GOD?!?

Scott's voice becomes strained and raises a few octaves as he struggles to restrain cackles and titters; his form blurs as he nervously floats side to side in the air and his horrific mangled and melted ecto-flesh is absurdly animate as he gibbers and guffaws...before becoming instantly still and his hissing whispers echo off the walls.

As far as I know he can't wrangle my soul like the Gub can, however, he becomes rather wild when you disturb his sleep cycle!

Cue loudest barking laugh.... and then... silence.

He rests on Morton, gnashing his teeth together with nervous energy.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:37:33 pm by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 719