Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542985 times)

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #9825 on: June 25, 2014, 01:58:39 am »

Before they leave, Scott pipes up.

"When it comes to our future engagement of the black magicians Morton, I will try very hard not to set you on fire. However whilst fire is a symbol of purity, it casts the biggest shadows, reflecting the poor mental state of anyone crazy or stupid enough to wield the violent and wilful forces of almost pure energy. And let's not even dwell on the fact that my handling of telekinesis is barely adequate and I will most likely smash you apart against a wall or something.
Although I suspect the rogues we will face will have no inkling into the foul and awe-inspiring  powers lurking inside an animate desk and a torched and mangled floating head and will faint when we reveal our might."

Scott astounds even himself with this rare moment of clarity.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:32:10 am by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9826 on: June 25, 2014, 09:12:56 am »

In the wretched darkness within a massive pillow...

Sigmund, as soon as he feels content at the way the pillow seems to not be moving, attempts to break out.

[Sigmund's strength roll: 4+1]

A mere pillow, no matter how giant and strange, can stop one empowered by the dark! Fearsomely yet quietly struggling for a bit, Sigmund tears himself free of the confines of the leathery thing, falling down on what feels like soft, dry grass, and crumples in a similar way. Finding that he can't see jack in this darkness, he has the clever thought of looking at all this from a more metaphysical standpoint, at which point he notices that the air around here seems to have knots, as do different minerals in the walls and the floor, and each individual plant - unfortunately, there is absolutely no way to tell any of them apart without close study, it seems!

Also, there's something clickety-clacking nearby, and a few whistles emanate from a short distance. Judging from the way the whistles are getting closer and slowly joined by more, Sigmund guesses that he may have set off some kind of alarm.

In a dead-end tunnel...

Kevin is made slightly uncomfortable by the conspicuous absence of his best... well, not really friend, but at least a dude who may or may not have had his back in a pinch. Now he's stuck here with only Art, and experience indicates that this is hardly a thing helping his survival in any way.

"Uh... Uuuuhhh..." he says, looking around the area for any secret passages that Sigmund, in his endless canniness, could have disappeared into. When that produces no results, he begins feeling around the walls, eventually finding something - a hole! An invisible one, slightly larger than the circumference of his arm, one he can sort of plunge his hand into, feeling a certain suction of air pulling at his arm while he does so. A vent, looks like. An ensorcelled one at that!

But before Kevin can properly extrapolate the meaning of all this, a flash of light and a loud "Aagh!" interrupts him. Swiveling around, Kevin notices Art, standing in the light, looking very unsettled.

"Something grabbed hold of my legs!" Art says. "I think it ran away when I did that flash thing."

In the main dining hall of the Red Tower of Power...

Niklas is not very happy about still not knowing what it is his boon did, suspecting that such knowledge could indeed come in handy if he wanted to, you know, use it and stuff.

"Aw man. Ah well, I suppose it'll just come back to bite me in the ass later, or other body part if I don't have an ass at the time."

"Very well. Enough questions, time to say goodbye," Fat Candace says.

"Goodbye!" Lifeboy says right before the entire world turns into fine dust, blowing away gently to reveal a very cozy office whose owner seems to be a great fan of wood - everything here seems to be either made of it or paneled with it, and little to no other materials are visible. And yet there's little to no traces of any organic aesthetic to it all despite the fact that it's ostensibly all made of the remains of living things.

In the middle of an office is a desk, cluttered with various papers and parchments in all manner of scripts, from what look like love letters to very important, if visibly stained official documents. At this desk sits a middle-aged man in a black and red horizontally striped sleeveless robe, very muscular, with extensively tattooed arms and a shaved head. His rough face is dominated by a huge black, bushy mustache entirely obscuring both his upper and lip. Even Niklas suspects that this may be more than slightly questionable from a fashion standpoint. The fellow gets up, leaning forward on his desk, focusing with one eye on Lifeboy and with the other on Niklas unsettlingly.

"I see you're here. Ambassadors, right?" he says after a moment.

"She's the ambassador, I'm the assistant!" Lifeboy answers, pointing at Niklas.

"Yes, yes. Let me get your equipment," he says, rooting around in his pocket for a good twenty seconds before coming up with an item - a small blue gem with a black core set inside a golden frame. He hands it to Niklas. "Press the gem to your forehead every once in a while. Once a week will do, but you can do it more often if there's something important. Listen to the king and the advisors. Somebody asks you to do something or brings a matter to your attention, say that the request or concern has been duly noted. When you put the gem to your head, the operator will know what you know, and questions will be heard. Somebody asks you a question, answer something smart-sounding. Doesn't have to be true, but at least plausible. Also, try not to make an ass of yourself. Any questions?"

In the dining room of Castle Melville...

Morton feels that they are ready to depart.

"It seems we're indeed ready to depart," he says, rotating affirmatively, quite ready to depart. "We will be most certain to take you up on your generous offer, good Lady Melville, hopefully with more news," he says, his drawers and surface curling up in a vaguely smile-like formation that Lady Melville does seem to comprehend the meaning of.

"I wish you safe travels, friends," Lady Melville replies, smiling back, and both Justine and Tailor Craig bid respectful farewells together with Morton.

"When it comes to our future engagement of black magicians, Morton, I will try very hard not to set you on fire. However, whilst fire is a symbol of purity, it casts the biggest shadows, reflecting the poor mental state of anyone crazy or stupid enough to wield the violent and willful forces of almost pure energy. And let's not even dwell on the fact that my handling of telekinesis is barely adequate and I will most likely smash you apart against a wall or something. Although I suspect the rogues we will face will have no inkling into the foul and awe-inspiring  powers lurking inside an animate desk and a torched and mangled floating head, and will faint when we reveal our might," Scott pipes up, still on about something that the rest don't seem to have quite chosen to linger on. The room is silent for a few moments, then the world shatters, revealing the group to be outside the castle, same as where they entered.

"We now know more than we did, I suppose," Justine says.

"And I don't feel like I am completely in the dark anymore," Tailor Craig mentions.

In the Temple of Automaton Worship...

Darren, thinking that ecstasy's probably a good thing in most cases, tells his friend to keep the card, which she does, and keeps his own card as well, and, since he's presumably kept his own previous card as well, has a total of two cards.

And then, suddenly, both of his cards disappear, and a thought runs through his mind - sixteen and fifteen is thirteen, BUGBEAR!

Darren isn't sure he likes the sound of that, or the feeling that immediately follows. A chill flows through him, though there is no apparent result that comes of it. His friend, though, seems to have undergone a much more dramatic change, beginning to glow brightly and emanating an aura of virtue and grace. Guess Darren has chosen well.

"Huh. Exaltation. What did you get?" she asks.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9827 on: June 25, 2014, 09:25:12 am »

Sigmund realized why they do the clicking sounds! They must work like bats in the darkness, right?

Do clicking sounds. Try my best a echolocation!

Also defend. Counterattack by grabbing the gnomes and smashing them against the ground.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9828 on: June 25, 2014, 10:13:14 am »

"Fucking traitorous mages! Sneaky little gnomes!"
Spit into the vent
"Where the fuck did Sigmund go?"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9829 on: June 25, 2014, 10:59:32 am »

"So...anyone know the way to the place? Or should that have been something we asked?"
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9830 on: June 25, 2014, 01:37:00 pm »

Do I actually have to do anything they ask me, or just 'your request has been duly noted'? Also, is there a kitchen and cooking equipment somewhere here, wherever we are?
Lifeboy, do you have any questions?
What will he be doing?

((Awesome, I'm basically the Armory Master only much less dangerous.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: June 25, 2014, 05:06:01 pm »

Do I actually have to do anything they ask me, or just 'your request has been duly noted'? Also, is there a kitchen and cooking equipment somewhere here, wherever we are?
Lifeboy, do you have any questions?
What will he be doing?

"If they ask you to do something political, do not engage. Do not do anything. Just say their requests and/or concerns have been noted. If they ask you to pass the salt, do it if you're not too far away. As long as it's not some kind of political euphemism. Learn those, as they're provincial. Also, this is just my office. The palace of the king of... Yelm, I think the name was? Yelm and something else. The palace is about two and a half thousand miles away. You're just here in transit."

"Can I say that their requests and/or concerns have been duly noted?"

"Only if their request is to see the ambassador."

"Do I actually have any duties?"

"To assist the ambassador. Help her find the kitchen and the cooking equipment while court is not in session. Make sure she is comfortable and dignified before the court if she herself cannot manage it. But mostly you, like the ambassador, are there to make like a wall and emotionlessly absorb information. Like a listening device with two human faces and a mouth."

"Oh, before I forget - if the king makes any advances toward either of you, refuse politely but firmly. It has been a problem occasionally."

"Noted!"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9832 on: June 25, 2014, 05:12:00 pm »

All right! Let's go then!

Hear that, Torkel and Tree Guy? We're going to go be bureaucratic spies!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9833 on: June 25, 2014, 10:50:05 pm »

"Bugbear and a bad feeling, I guess."
Darren waits a moment for any further oddness.
"Is there anything else I can expect to happen?"

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9834 on: June 26, 2014, 03:04:00 am »

"I believe the map good lady Melville gave us should redress that problem, good sir Scott." Morton relayed to the head-ghost as he picked up the cube with the strange brown arms again. He fiddled with it, bringing it into view to see if there was some way to activate it. She said it may of needed a rub of some sort? Perhaps like a sort of djinni?

Attempt to access the map!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9835 on: June 26, 2014, 06:50:09 am »

"Bugbear and a bad feeling, I guess."
Darren waits a moment for any further oddness.
"Is there anything else I can expect to happen?"

"Er... maybe? I think so. These are cards of fate and aspiration, after all."

"I believe the map good lady Melville gave us should redress that problem, good sir Scott." Morton relayed to the head-ghost as he picked up the cube with the strange brown arms again. He fiddled with it, bringing it into view to see if there was some way to activate it. She said it may of needed a rub of some sort? Perhaps like a sort of djinni?

Attempt to access the map!

You rub the map cube against Scott, who happens to be significantly more expendable than you by way of crippling insanity as well as sufficiently close to use for this purpose, and are rather pleased when it unfolds, creating a patch of darkness in the air illuminated by a very detailed geographical representation of the area, light blue in color - your location is a red shining star, and you can see the rather large town of Eckledun, carefully and legibly labeled, quite a distance to the south. The map even registers the direction Scott is currently facing, although it doesn't seem to indicate Castle Melville as a marked location from the looks of it.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9836 on: June 26, 2014, 08:39:20 am »

"They obviously don't seem to be fond of our company..."

Nunzillor

« Reply #9837 on: June 26, 2014, 08:19:30 pm »

((Quick question: is the blanket husband still alive/existent?  A little confused on that.))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9838 on: June 27, 2014, 12:59:21 am »

[I honestly can't remember. I think it may be at the bottom of the bay back in Shriekpot, where Scott's old body is.]

"Hmm? Who, good lady Melville? I believe she was happy to hear some news and be able to entertain company, although I don't believe she particularly appreciated the content of the news." Morton responded to Scott as he inspected the map, looking for a quick way to Eckledun and perhaps any possible easy detours.

"Oh, and I do apologize for needing to rub the cube against you, good sir Scott, I feared it wouldn't quite work on myself, being particularly akin to that of an inanimate object in form." The tea apostle added on, still inspecting the map. He was visibly trying to trace a route to Eckledun with a brown arm that has extended from his frame. "I do wonder if we can set make markings on the map, it would be helpful to be able to easily return here." Morton attempts to mark their current location on the map by touching it, or failing that attempting to rub an 'X' in that spot on the map.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9839 on: June 27, 2014, 11:27:33 am »

((Quick question: is the blanket husband still alive/existent?  A little confused on that.))
((I assume at this point it was cut/rotted enough to free his soul.))
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 719