Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542887 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #9900 on: July 17, 2014, 04:46:39 pm »

Hey Lifeboy! Are you capable of summoning animals?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9901 on: July 18, 2014, 02:18:28 am »

Hey Lifeboy! Are you capable of summoning animals?

"No! I can only change them however I please!"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9902 on: July 18, 2014, 03:31:45 am »

Can you change a very small animal into a big one, like a bug into a goat? I'm hungry!
Sig! Onol

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9903 on: July 18, 2014, 10:17:58 am »

"Indeed, how could he ever not have considered the idea that an animate mutilated head, a physical personification of fear itself, a witch's ghost and a demonic desk crossing his path all at the same time during about midnight exactly after he'd done some kind of magical ritual to summon mystical heralds of the god of death is all some kind of wacky coincidence?"

"You do have a fair point, good mage Justine. I suppose we are quite the odd band of travelers, aren't we. It is a wonder how things can strike one as normal if they witness it often enough." Morton rotated slightly along the horizontal slightly in a nod-like fashion, looking around at the group once more.

"It is common amongst less-than-educated people. Raising the dead is something one can hire a sufficiently skilled necromancer to do, provided they have the money and the know-how of the business of magic, not that it's strictly advisable under normal circumstances, as evidenced by our good friend Scott. But people who raise zombies and ghosts and the like can be difficult to find if you don't have any University of Magic hook-ups or anything, since they rarely, if ever flaunt their abilities, or even bother with raising the dead in the first place. And necromancers, since their talents involve killing, forcible body transfer and enslavement, aren't very sociable in the first place as a general rule."

"But I do digress. The point is, there are people who know necromancers, and people who don't. This guy was one of the latter category, and he obviously didn't know any magic whatsoever. Not a drop. So he instead went to the next best thing, a priest of Velusius, who pointed him on one of their messed-up quests. Hint - their quests almost always involve blood, since Velusius has some kind of blood fetish. And his seemed to be to get blood from a vampire, then dye a special rose with it, come to the woods alone at night and wait for the magic to happen. Who knows, maybe it would have worked. And I'm sure he will try again shortly. Probably will come right back here, in fact. Who knows, maybe it'll work. Or maybe the god of death will just try to be funny again. It's all kind of sad and sickening, but also unavoidable."

"You seem quite familiar with Velusius, good mage Justine, a point of study at one point perhaps?" The desk commented after having listened raptly to her explanation. Its not often she talks this much, after all, beyond the odd quip. It wouldn't do well to discourage her from speaking so by not paying attention.

After her response (or lack of response) to the prior statement, Morton will continue. "Hm, I do most certainly thank you for the explanation. I admit most topics found on our travels are often beyond what I know, I'm afraid, and I appreciate those who help me along with that unfortunate circumstance. I suppose nothing can, or perhaps instead should, be further done with the traveler's situation."

Feeling that there time there is perhaps done, Morton addressed the group. "Hm, I believe our time here may be at a close. Although I wouldn't say no to a most welcoming respite in such a peaceful locale, perhaps it is time we continue along, unless there is any objections?" The desk gave the polite query, although he didn't expect any to be bothered by moving along again.

Respond to good mage Justine, propose it may be best to move onward. If no objects are met, continue along in the map-assisted direction of Eckledun, and further along their peaceful but glorious trek through the forest!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9904 on: July 18, 2014, 12:52:10 pm »

In a pipe deep underground...

Knowing from life experience way back when that bleeding is an ostensibly bad thing, Kevin sacrifices a scrap of his clothing to...

Wait, he can't actually bandage this cut with just a scrap, as he discovers. This is something he'll definitely need a strip of clothing for. Besides, it's just a small cut. Really, the bothersome thing here, as he realizes, is that blood has a very characteristic smell and that he is probably the only thing presently smelling like blood in the area. And cave creatures, he would venture to guess, would presumably have a reasonably good sense of smell, to put it mildly.

In some sort of gnomish operating theater...

Sigmund, knowing things are about to go even more poorly for him if he doesn't stop squirming, promptly does so and plays dead, resisting the urge to make a silly dying noise as he does so.

However, as he quickly discovers, the gnome working on him isn't fooled at all as it slices off his entire left arm, then takes out his left eye to stick on top of it - despite Sigmund's best efforts to remain still and as dead-looking as possible, which he thought would be easier than this, the gnome continues its work silently. Or maybe it does think he's dead, and simply doesn't care.

Its next move is to take off Sigmund's head, a surprisingly painless experience and one that doesn't even begin to cause him any sort of existential agony or desire to leave this body - indeed, he can still feel everything both in his head and his torso, as well as all other things severed and put together by the alien butcher working on him. In a humiliating turn, the creature removes Sigmund's main body's sole forearm, leaving a torso with an upper right arm strapped onto the table only by the neck, and attaches the head on top of the forearm experimentally. As he is placed on the ground, Sigmund finds he can't keep his balance even if he tried.

In addition, he finds it a little difficult to pay attention to all of his separate, yet uniformly animate bits to an equal degree.

At a clearing in the woods...

Scott tries to create some mile-long trails of fire to put the fear of the gods into that punk that just ran off, but manages only to start a little spark, which is quite a running theme with him lately. And, after being so generously reminded by Tailor Craig of the Black Circle of Magic's existence, his mood is verging on completeness.

"I will sing so joyously when we present them bound, gagged and humiliated in front of his gubby-ness. The dead should not be called upon for so personally selfish reasons. I think we should also pay a call onto the death priests, I am sure he would love to learn the intricacies of celestial majicks and worshiper/God relations," he says.

"They already have death priests, sadly. Mothdale had the biggest death temple for hundreds of miles around," Justine points out, some sort of know-it-all floodgate evidently having open in her mind.

"You seem quite familiar with Velusius, good mage Justine, a point of study at one point perhaps?" Morton wonders after checking the map and confirming that yes, they are still going the right way and should be in Eckledun before morning rolls in.

"You get real familiar with Velusius if you ever happen to get mage training. Used to be the only way you'd have a decent chance of becoming a mage was through blood sacrifice to that dick. And for the regular person who doesn't get educated in a chant-based program or, alternatively, doesn't subject themselves to some other yahoo method, it still is. Only reason why extracting virgin blood is even a thing is because you can offer it to Velusius so that he helps you magic around to your heart's delight. So yes, I know something about all that crap."

"Hm, I do most certainly thank you for the explanation. I admit most topics found on our travels are often beyond what I know, I'm afraid, and I appreciate those who help me along with that unfortunate circumstance. I suppose nothing can, or perhaps instead should, be further done with the traveler's situation," Morton says, and Justine seems to agree. "Hm, I believe our time here may be at a close. Although I wouldn't say no to a most welcoming respite in such a peaceful locale, perhaps it is time we continue along, unless there is any objections?"

There indeed is no objections, and shiz is all harmonious in this bizatch for real, so the group move along, and, as predicted, it does not take overly long to reach Eckledun. What they see is a town built to last - steel constructions, reinforced towers, even the regular houses seem to be built for maximum durability, and even glow slightly -, and around it is a mixture of a shantytown and refugee camp, currently silent, but evidently host to a great deal of people, judging from the number of tents.

In the guest wing of Castle Fenton...

Niklas, becoming quite hungry by now, pokes his head out of his room in order to shout for Lifeboy much more efficiently.

"Can you change a very small animal into a big one, like a bug into a goat? I'm hungry!" he says.

"Ooh! Fantastic idea! Here's a nice wasp, with a nice large abdomen..." Lifeboy replies, immediately taken with the idea. A moment of silence passes, followed by a rather confused "Ah? Erm...", at which point a rather rapid, powerful flapping of wings drowns out all other sound. Lifeboy quickly runs out of his room, shutting the door behind him.

"Well! That was an interesting experiment!" he observes, stepping away from the door as he gives it several distrustful looks as he comes closer to Niklas. "You know, I think I'll go sleep on the other end of the wing!" he then adds, and runs to the room at the opposite end of the hall, on the opposite side as well.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9905 on: July 18, 2014, 01:18:37 pm »

Hurry through the slashed open tunnel.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9906 on: July 18, 2014, 02:02:27 pm »

Well, that went as expected.

Run after him! Look for a pointy thing!
Sig! Onol

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9907 on: July 18, 2014, 02:11:52 pm »

((Well, I have two options: waiting until they forget about me, or doing something crazy. And, you know what? I can't always play safe. Don't wish me luck, just that this ends up being hilarious. Or, I could try to do both!))

Sigmund's action is going to be divided in two simultaneous parts:

Part 1: move a bit of the torn off flesh away from the gnomes. Find a crack, or anything were it can reside in safety.

Part 2: silently "pray"... to Velusius: "Hey! You liked to watch me suffer? Then I have a gift for you!"

EDIT:

If Velusius is paying attention, begin a rattle with all my assorted pieces of my body. Make the situation as weird for both the gnomes and me as possible!

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9908 on: July 19, 2014, 02:07:54 am »

"Refugees from mothdale perhaps?"
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9909 on: July 19, 2014, 02:10:49 am »

"Refugees from mothdale perhaps?"

"To a man, yes. All from the city - the surrounding countryside inhabitants didn't know they needed to escape anything."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9910 on: July 19, 2014, 02:41:37 am »

The cheerful expression dropping from his face as Lenny continues to pile on the doom 'n' gloom, Timothy peers at him uncertainly.
"But... if I's nah do dis thing for you boss-man, how's I be gettin' back wif my friends? They's no-buddy else what knows where they's at."

His face wrinkles up sadly as he says the next part, remembering his many past failures, as well as his good times with Hansel and Bob.
"Dey my friends, can't just go giving them ups. An' I's not real bad not-good at friend-making, so I needsta be holdin' on da ones I got."
Timothy sighs unhappily, then his eyes widen and he adds, his voice rather distressed by this sudden realization, "...An' what 'bout dem scary-crows?! They was in da troubles, can't be leavin' them! I gotsta make sure they's okay! I gotsta get back home, Mister Lenny. If you dun' wants me doin' tha map-thing, maybe youse gots some other idea?"

>Pour out my disjointed, hard-to-understand sob story to Lenny, explaining that I have no other choice.
Unless, of course, he has a better idea to get me back to my friends...?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9911 on: July 19, 2014, 02:51:46 am »

The cheerful expression dropping from his face as Lenny continues to pile on the doom 'n' gloom, Timothy peers at him uncertainly.
"But... if I's nah do dis thing for you boss-man, how's I be gettin' back wif my friends? They's no-buddy else what knows where they's at."

His face wrinkles up sadly as he says the next part, remembering his many past failures, as well as his good times with Hansel and Bob.
"Dey my friends, can't just go giving them ups. An' I's not real bad not-good at friend-making, so I needsta be holdin' on da ones I got."
Timothy sighs unhappily, then his eyes widen and he adds, his voice rather distressed by this sudden realization, "...An' what 'bout dem scary-crows?! They was in da troubles, can't be leavin' them! I gotsta make sure they's okay! I gotsta get back home, Mister Lenny. If you dun' wants me doin' tha map-thing, maybe youse gots some other idea?"

>Pour out my disjointed, hard-to-understand sob story to Lenny, explaining that I have no other choice.
Unless, of course, he has a better idea to get me back to my friends...?

"Well... there's the tavern. The 4H. There ought to be someone who can help you there, provided they're drunk enough and you ask nicely. It's not the most likely option, but you never know. Trust me, you want to exhaust all other options before trying this one."

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9912 on: July 19, 2014, 11:49:16 am »

How should we approach this? With the refugee situation, there will be a large contingent of patrol men at the city access points.
Its likely that the bard managed to run back here and report us, so approaching openly may lead to unpredictable occurrences.
I could start a large fire in the refugee area to lure the guards away from their posts and we can hide somewhere in the city.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9913 on: July 19, 2014, 12:11:01 pm »

How should we approach this? With the refugee situation, there will be a large contingent of patrol men at the city access points.
Its likely that the bard managed to run back here and report us, so approaching openly may lead to unpredictable occurrences.
I could start a large fire in the refugee area to lure the guards away from their posts and we can hide somewhere in the city.

"We're mostly ethereal, Craig's mostly inconspicuous and Morton's completely non-threatening, the bard couldn't, wouldn't and didn't, and don't even think of trying to start a fire in the middle of all those innocent people, or I promise I will kill you."

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9914 on: July 19, 2014, 03:02:04 pm »

"
Who are you to assume the innocence or guilt of anyone without even hearsay of their deeds? Such hubris breeds arrogance and complacency. But if it pleases you I will agree to try to wander in like lambs to the slaughter.
If the need arises I can instead leave the inferno to the fringes and hem the refugees into a mad crushing panic for the city in which we could easily conceal ourselves in.
Anyone who perishes would not directly be on my conscience as the flames would be a barrier instead of an uncontrolled blaze."

Monotonous voice is monotonous and list-y to show his lackadaisical opinion on threats to his tortured existence.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:05:59 pm by Innsmothe »
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 719