Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542761 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #9915 on: July 19, 2014, 03:32:24 pm »

"
Who are you to assume the innocence or guilt of anyone without even hearsay of their deeds? Such hubris breeds arrogance and complacency. But if it pleases you I will agree to try to wander in like lambs to the slaughter.
If the need arises I can instead leave the inferno to the fringes and hem the refugees into a mad crushing panic for the city in which we could easily conceal ourselves in.
Anyone who perishes would not directly be on my conscience as the flames would be a barrier instead of an uncontrolled blaze."

Monotonous voice is monotonous and list-y to show his lackadaisical opinion on threats to his tortured existence.

"They live next to the Sea of Death. They see stranger things than us if not every day, then at least very often. We will be conspicuous, but mostly the subject of gossip. About 37 people I can currently detect would be suitably alarmed by our presence to consider calling for guards - none of the guards would do anything rash if they did, which some are more likely to do than others. Instead they will ask us if we're lost and if we want to find the local Black Circle tower, which they will kindly point us to. Craig looks like a typical Black Circle mage of high standing, and we will be assumed to be his entourage. They will speak to him respectfully, and will only hint that perhaps his presence is causing discomfort to the populace."

"Ah. Do I need to know anything to say in that event?"

"Be polite and dignified and don't volunteer too much information, because respectable mages don't do that for strangers. You do not even need to mention your name, and they will not ask. All this I know from a scan of the town. From simple pattern recognition I know that allowing Scott to try anything that he's proposing right now would lead to nothing but continued, unmitigated disaster and massive casualties for all parties involved. And from basic decency I know that using magical terror tactics on the displaced, terrorized and, most of all, defenseless populace of Mothdale is a vicious crime contrary to anything and everything a human being could ever consider good, both in the sense of intellectual quality and of ethical merit."

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9916 on: July 19, 2014, 03:48:24 pm »

"It must therefore be good thing that no one would even consider venturing to call me anything resembling human."

OOC: A hint of an unbridled maelstrom of seething venom might be detected here. Just fyi >.>

Scott vibrates for a few seconds.

"I just assumed that the fact the town had not seemed to have given aid to the horde on their doorstep to be a sign of hostility, imagining the possibility they would seek to bar or maim just anybody seeking to enter their pristine city, which is home to our assigned enemies, without priorly ordained reason and invitation. I only thought it a precaution to safeguard our already fleeting lives."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:56:50 pm by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9917 on: July 19, 2014, 03:56:32 pm »

"It must therefore be good thing that no one would even consider venturing to call me anything resembling human."

OOC: A hint of an unbridled maelstrom of seething venom might be detected here. Just fyi >.>

Scott vibrates for a few seconds.

"I just assumed that the fact the town had not seemed to have given aid to the horde on their doorstep to be a sign of hostility to just anybody seeking to enter their pristine city without priorly ordained reason and invitation. I only thought it a precaution to safeguard our already fleeting lives."

"You are human, Scott. Being mentally ill and rich in terrible ideas does not make you otherwise, so that excuse does not fly. Sorry."

"Anyhow, they have given the refugees aid. But they significantly outnumber the Eckledun residents, who are already swamped with their own Mothdalish relatives. The lifemages of the Black Circle regularly visit the camp to head off any outbreaks of infectious disease, and their specialized transmuters conjure food regularly to keep the people from starving, as is standard operating procedure. Some are currently finishing up their shift in the supplies tent."

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9918 on: July 19, 2014, 04:01:40 pm »

Seemingly off guard, Scott rambles into his last trump card.

"Even a quasi-trained necromancer can construct metamorphosed bonemeal blocks that rival the purest of marble veins. This city is the host for a cabal of powerful wizards and yet the refugees live in a perpetual squalor. This city is not an establishment that beams hope and friendship, it's more like an estranged tolerance."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:05:11 pm by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: July 19, 2014, 04:08:05 pm »

Seemingly off guard, Scott rambles into his last trump card.

"Even a quasi-trained necromancer can construct metamorphosed bonemeal blocks that rival the purest of marble veins. This city is the host for a cabal of powerful wizards and yet the refugees live in a perpetual squalor. This city is not an establishment that beams hope and friendship, more like an estranged tolerance."

"It's more of an outpost than a proper home, and most of the really powerful wizards hang around elsewhere, but I suppose that yes, the Black Circle of Magic could certainly be a more altruistic organization, and Eckledun could have been more prepared for the sudden destruction of the safest, most unassailable city on the coast of the Sea of Death and the sudden migration of a large proportion of its residents to its doorstep."

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: July 19, 2014, 04:20:04 pm »

Scott mumbles into silence
"Well...yes..they should have..."

OOc: It's been great sparring with you tonight Harry :3
 I hope my little insertion there wasn't too intrusive to your construct. I just wondered that since chalk, limestone, marble and bone are all mostly calcium and other minerals, it would be relatively easy for someone atuned to such materials to be able to metamorphose one into the other echoing geological processes.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:28:19 pm by Innsmothe »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: July 19, 2014, 04:22:27 pm »

Timothy's mood jumps quickly from sadness to gladness at the hope-inspiring mention of a tavern, and his ghostly form reflects this appropriately- his back straightens, his eyes widen with excitment and his mouth twists into something resembling a ghastly smile. He bobs his head rapidly at Lenny.
"A tavinn! Ooh, let's go to da tavinn! Well, if you's wants ta take me. I's sweared off all da boozings, but I reckons you can uses a drink or five!"

>Happily follow Lenny to the local tavern wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Try and turn invisible on the way, you know, to avoid arousing too much suspicion... and to prepare for some pranks once we arrive!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9922 on: July 19, 2014, 04:34:14 pm »

OOc: It's been great sparring with you tonight Harry :3
 I hope my little insertion there wasn't too intrusive to your construct. I just wondered that since chalk, marble and bone are all mostly calcium and other minerals, it would be relatively easy for someone atuned to such materials to be able to metamorphose one into the other echoing geological processes.

It would be easy for a transmuter (not for a necromancer, since they do souls, not physical materials, unless they also happen to be transmuters or have appropriate spellbooks), relatively speaking, if they were specialized in such a direction or had a spellbook with the appropriate spell. I'm saying this mostly because IC you would probably have a decent idea how this works.

It's lucky you have Justine along, though! You can get obtrusive exposition, unwanted moralization, confrontational nature, obnoxious know-it-all behavior and more, all in one ghostly package!

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: July 19, 2014, 04:41:51 pm »

((Justine went from what one would call in the vernacular a "bitch", to a really cool character. I like her more this way))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9924 on: July 19, 2014, 10:59:25 pm »

[I'm always sad when I miss these great conversations, stupid work.]

Morton listened to the conversation between Scott and Justine, rather relieved it didn't turn into a 'heated' one. "I agree with good mage Justine, I would most assuredly prefer to solve this conundrum without violence if possible. It only brings about more, I'm afraid, and I would prefer those still in the city to be safe. Perhaps we can garner an agreement between good group Gub and the mages, or perhaps other alternatives."

The desk would prefer a non violent alternative, as he doesn't really consider Gub that bad. The dangers about him seem to be more due to his lack of awareness and careful care than any sort of maliciousness. Either way, the desk pondered their alternatives out loud. "Hm... We could go ask some of the refugees about what happened, surely some of them must know of whatever strange event transpired in Mothdale. We could also head straight to the tower and ask there however as well, we may get more answers. But... I think I would quite prefer to float into the tower with more knowledge at hand than we possess. If we know to little, I fear they may simply wave us off."

"Good mage Justine, I admit I may be incorrect in asking you, but can you perhaps glean who or where we might be able to find the most suitable information in the camp? I fear us simply wandering around and asking may be with slow results, but it may be necessary."

Agree with Justine on solving issue as morally as possible, ponder out loud as to their options, ask good mage Justine if she can perhaps magic up who or where might be a good place to start in the refugee camp or if they have to do it the old fashion way.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9925 on: July 20, 2014, 02:32:27 am »

((I'll be gone for two weeks starting tomorrow, and I probably won't have internet, so Innsmothe can do turns for me if he wants to.))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9926 on: July 20, 2014, 08:07:56 am »

((I will also be absent for a week or so. As I am getting into something hairy, I would rather postpone my turns and do them myself when I get back))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9927 on: July 20, 2014, 11:56:57 am »

[I'm always sad when I miss these great conversations, stupid work.]

Morton listened to the conversation between Scott and Justine, rather relieved it didn't turn into a 'heated' one. "I agree with good mage Justine, I would most assuredly prefer to solve this conundrum without violence if possible. It only brings about more, I'm afraid, and I would prefer those still in the city to be safe. Perhaps we can garner an agreement between good group Gub and the mages, or perhaps other alternatives."

The desk would prefer a non violent alternative, as he doesn't really consider Gub that bad. The dangers about him seem to be more due to his lack of awareness and careful care than any sort of maliciousness. Either way, the desk pondered their alternatives out loud. "Hm... We could go ask some of the refugees about what happened, surely some of them must know of whatever strange event transpired in Mothdale. We could also head straight to the tower and ask there however as well, we may get more answers. But... I think I would quite prefer to float into the tower with more knowledge at hand than we possess. If we know to little, I fear they may simply wave us off."

"Good mage Justine, I admit I may be incorrect in asking you, but can you perhaps glean who or where we might be able to find the most suitable information in the camp? I fear us simply wandering around and asking may be with slow results, but it may be necessary."

Agree with Justine on solving issue as morally as possible, ponder out loud as to their options, ask good mage Justine if she can perhaps magic up who or where might be a good place to start in the refugee camp or if they have to do it the old fashion way.

"The best people to ask would no doubt be the mages currently finishing up their shift down there - a transmuter and a lifemage. Both are, as far as I can tell, knowledgeable on many matters. Though you could just, you know, ask me, the diviner, instead, and trust whatever answers I provide. That's why I'm here, after all. To provide answers. What do you want to know, anyway?"

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9928 on: July 20, 2014, 12:00:02 pm »

"Are the circle aware of our intentions? And can they cloud your sight?" Scott interjects

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9929 on: July 20, 2014, 12:20:12 pm »

"Are the circle aware of our intentions? And can they cloud your sight?" Scott interjects

"It's possible, but I doubt they've done it, simply because they have no idea who I am or if I am coming. It's a bit hard to defend yourself without preparation."
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 719