Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542896 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #10260 on: January 04, 2015, 11:06:25 am »

In a terrible, terrible mess...

Sigmund goes from progress to damage control so quickly, one could hardly believe he had faith in his initial success in the first place, really. Of course unlife would not suddenly become easy for him. Why would it? The gods hate him, his comrades are probably dead somewhere, and his ability to warp reality has just crapped out in a big way. But perhaps he can fix this! He attempts to contain the rapidly spiraling mess that seems to be increasing in size, and introduces a knot to the mix to stabilize the thing.

It immediately unravels, of course, but it seems to mildly interfere with the general unraveling for a very short bit. Clearly this is the way forward! Or it would be, if not for the troubling way the mess he's made were willing to wait for a more organized and methodical approach. Instead it simply starts to shuffle off away from Sigmund at an astoundingly quick rate, its messed up knots orienting in a single direction, though its frayed strands thrash around wildly. Huh. Seems like it's got other plans it needs to attend to. Perhaps that's for the best, really.

Outside the Purging Crab...

Accompanied by fanfare as the one beast band stays still after a little poking, prodding and not a little kicking, Mark hands a note explaining his current situation to his good friend Morton, who accepts it readily and reads it immediately, with Tailor Craig looking over his surface to see as well.

"Good surgeon Mark? That's you? Oh, joyous to see you! I must admit I'm surprised, I thought our groups had headed quite different directions on our quests. A celebration? Oh, I'd love to join, I was just about to try and find my companions actually. Perhaps you could help? Oh, will good jester Kevin and good sir Sigmund be there as well?" Morton says with a mingling mix of excitement, joy and utter incredulity. "Ah, but where are my manners. I am Carter Morton, but most just call me Morton, butler and tea enthusiast. A pleasure to meet you, a friend of good surgeon Mark is a friend of mine!" he then says to both the lady and the... music thing.

"And I am Craig Coville, though everyone just calls me Craig. Tailoring is what I do, though I am well-versed in demonology as well."

"Very pleased to meet you, Morton, Craig. I'm Wilma Wilkins, MNR. I'd prefer that you just call me Wilma. I'm a traveling exorcist, sometimes dabbling in creating undead," the lady says, shooting the music thing a slightly worried glance. The music thing just continues making music, evidently having no capacity to process sound of any kind and being only dimly aware of the pokes with the foot that Mark keeps giving it. It doesn't look to be very healthy.

In a perplexing room of an unidentified domicile...

Scott thinks he's had just about enough of this nonsense, and that whoever is responsible for the travesty all around him should just quit being such an awful bastard and show themselves so he can burn them to death as well as everything else in sight.

"TO THE BEINGS WHO DWELL HERE! I KINDLY ASK YOU TO PRESENT YOURSELVES IN FORMS THAT WILL NOT DAMAGE MY SOUL INCARNATE, ELSE I WILL DEFEND MYSELF!" he tells the air.

"Done," says a mysterious voice in reply practically immediately. "Why'd you break into my house, anyway? Are you looking for treasure or something?"

In Ms. Klemm's dining room...

Kevin tries to explain further about his various misadventures to Ms. Klemm.

"Me and some other undead were servants of an old, sick man. Along comes somebody called the Artiste with some soul bound mages and another undead. They turn our master into a blanket and soulbind us. We promptly left for a town to find a boat, where we picked up yet another mage. He had somehow designed a portal to a dimension with the Aspect of Appeal, which gives you fashion makeovers. It turned one of my comrades into a desk, although he didn't seem to mind. That's where I met that servant. Anyway, we left on a haunted boat because that was the only one willing to carry a bunch of undead and mages for free. When we arrived we all went unconscious, and next thing I know I'm in the body of a woman and soulbound to yet another thing, this time some sort of weird hivemind."

Ms. Klemm is quiet for a moment, then nods.

"I must say, it is interesting how the questions your explanations raise seem to increase geometrically as you go on, Ms. Cooker," she says after a moment.

In the guest rooms of Castle Fenton...

Niklas disappointedly floats out of the guest area, seeking more interesting places to visit, like the castle cafeteria.

When he promptly discovers that castles do not, as a rule, have cafeterias, unlike the great longhouses of the North with their massive lunch lines that effectively combine a social venue and a method of artificial selection against the weak and polite in the populace. His disappointment is palpable, and he floats over to one of the kitchens, where there is nobody at all, not even a saucy ham to make conversation with. No food either, awfully enough.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10261 on: January 04, 2015, 11:11:35 am »

"It's a good thing I have no explanation for most of the things that happened so far, then."

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10262 on: January 04, 2015, 11:24:44 am »

"It's a good thing I have no explanation for most of the things that happened so far, then."

"Perhaps it is the region you find yourself in. The Sea of Death area tends to attract all manner of strange types in my experience, not least of which are my fine colleagues of the Circle."

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10263 on: January 04, 2015, 12:41:44 pm »

"No. In fact my intrusion has everything to do with the fact I am both very drunk and very incorporeal. I had just left the pub after informing everyone of their servitude and doom at the hands of the great childish psuedo-god mass that is the Gub!

Now that is out of the way... why is there seemingly a temple to nigh understandable horrors right next to a pub? And a related question being, do you actually like drunken vandals defecating on your doorstep?"
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:43:57 pm by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10264 on: January 04, 2015, 12:48:48 pm »

"No. In fact my intrusion has everything to do with the fact I am both very drunk and very incorporeal. I had just left the pub after informing everyone of their servitude and doom at the hands of the great childish psuedo-god mass that is the Gub!

Now that is out of the way... why is there seemingly a temple to nigh understandable horrors right next to a pub? And a related question being, do you actually like drunken vandals defecating on your doorstep?"

"The answer to your first question is that this just so happens to be my house, and go home, you're drunk. As for the second question, that very fact is why I don't have a doorstep anymore and have soundproofed the place rather thoroughly, and go home, you're drunk."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10265 on: January 04, 2015, 01:35:53 pm »

"Perhaps it is the region you find yourself in. The Sea of Death area tends to attract all manner of strange types in my experience, not least of which are my fine colleagues of the Circle."
"Who knows. Did you know that I used to be a simple jester? I can't even crack a decent joke or anything nowadays!"

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10266 on: January 04, 2015, 01:57:25 pm »

By Thröiingvasklidrúnkafiskånen*, this castle is more terrible than my long term memory of non-interesting things!

Go float over to ... I don't actually remember much of this castle. Go float around until I find something interesting. Didn't I have offices?

*one of the many personified Aspects of Northern cooking, personifying wringing, vascularity, drunkenness, and fish spines.
**I made the Aspects up just now and they can be dismissed as part of Niklas' growing insanity if need be.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10267 on: January 04, 2015, 02:35:48 pm »

That was, slightly good. Slightly. But now Sigmund can at least think how to get out of his condition. But he can learn out of his mistakes.

Second attempt:

Fisrt: find an object that was previosly alive (or belonged to a living thing, like a bone, branch, etc) to utilize as a focus.

Second: think of a way to do step three, because I don't really want to cause another mess. I will write a reasoning below anyways.

Third: Make it into a focus that allows Sigmund to move souls from a vessel to another, replacing the previous soul in the vessel that receives it.

Reasoning:

The failure followed by the unstability of the peeble focus was caused by an excess of complexity, so Sigmund should aim now for something more minimalist now. Things like moral clauses and stuff relating to sentience should be evaded to decrease the potential unravelings of the knots.
Using an element that had been alive could probably make it easier to find a soul-related knot, so that the rest of the rules could be written off said knot. This is likely going to prevent the complexity that ruined Sigmund's last attempt.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10268 on: January 04, 2015, 05:58:55 pm »

Now the introductions are over Mark gets to the important stuff like the party and being able to get drunk again something he sorely missed
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10269 on: January 04, 2015, 07:47:28 pm »

"Who knows. Did you know that I used to be a simple jester? I can't even crack a decent joke or anything nowadays!"

"Are you not a jester anymore because you cannot crack a decent joke, or you cannot crack a decent joke because you're not a jester anymore?"

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10270 on: January 04, 2015, 09:44:37 pm »

Fuck. WRONG THREAD. STUPID KINDLE FIRE.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10271 on: January 05, 2015, 04:00:56 am »

Time to be Hoity-Toity.
"Sir...I don't know if you are learned in biology...but I am undead and an incorporeal soul to be particular, for me to be drunk it is to be a state of mind, not a state of drug induced stupidity....though the presence helps the induced delusion.
Though I do have one last question before I make my leave, was what I experienced an illusion itself upon entering your abode, or are you truly a being beyond human perception? In either case are you free to tutor out your knowledge?"
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 03:49:12 am by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10272 on: January 05, 2015, 07:13:20 am »

First: do an intelligence roll because I don't really want to cause another mess. I will write a reasoning below anyways.

So, do you actually want an intelligence roll? The reasoning's good enough that you really don't need the roll, although you won't get a bonus for it. In addition, I'd prefer it if you didn't phrase it simply as "do an intelligence roll", since that way I can interpret it as applying to any one particular action (in this case, either finding an object or doing the enchantment process) or, in fact, nothing action-related at all.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10273 on: January 05, 2015, 08:06:33 am »

First: do an intelligence roll because I don't really want to cause another mess. I will write a reasoning below anyways.

So, do you actually want an intelligence roll? The reasoning's good enough that you really don't need the roll, although you won't get a bonus for it. In addition, I'd prefer it if you didn't phrase it simply as "do an intelligence roll", since that way I can interpret it as applying to any one particular action (in this case, either finding an object or doing the enchantment process) or, in fact, nothing action-related at all.
My apologies for not being clear enough. I do want to make the intelligence roll (to make the focus), because it increases my chances of not destroying the fabrics of the universe.

I have edited my action for clarity. I hope that it helps

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10274 on: January 05, 2015, 11:27:55 am »

"Are you not a jester anymore because you cannot crack a decent joke, or you cannot crack a decent joke because you're not a jester anymore?"
"I'd say I stopped being a jester when I was raised from the dead and turned into a skeleton. But I assume the second, I guess?"

Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 719