Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 540904 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #10380 on: February 14, 2015, 11:25:24 pm »

[Assuming Morton figures out what Mark is trying to communicate]

"Hm. Well, we could go down the path and see who wishes to meet us, good surgeon Mark. Or I suppose we could try to simply walk into the nothing, perhaps it ends? Or perhaps it is but an illusion?" The desk offered, thinking of possibilities. Having an idea though, he grabs the tea.

"I know, perhaps some tea could help us perceive the situation in a new, refreshed light? Something to ease the mind?" The apostle offered, ready with the tea. He knows its meant for the ghosts, but, well, sadly they're yet to be found and he's not one to hoard tea. Such is to be shared, after all.

Converse! Offer tea! Ponder!

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10381 on: February 15, 2015, 05:04:58 am »

Enjoy some tea and ponder the problem
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10382 on: February 16, 2015, 04:08:19 pm »

In the wilderness outside Eckledun...

Sigmund beckons his sphere to come, and it ponderously sails back to him. It feels much safer to have it near. Now it's time for the second try. He approaches a less evil tree and attempts to climb.

[Sigmund's climbing roll: 6-1]

His phylactery ascending with him, Sigmund makes his way up the tree with altogether less issue than previously. The top offers him a very nice view, he thinks. There's forest all around. Most of the other trees are taller than this one. The sky's easy to see, though, and Sigmund thinks he does see smoke. Probably the habitation-related kind of smoke rather than the forest fire-related kind of smoke, though he's certainly no expert.

At a river crossing outside Rugish...

Kevin scouts about for some wood to help him get across this river - he has reason to suspect drowning may severely affect him now, considering he seems to be alive and all. Unfortunately for him, though, the people of Rugish clearly believe in beautifying their surroundings the old-fashioned way - all stray pieces of wood have been removed from the area, and the only tree Kevin sees in a two hundred meter radius is on the opposite side of the river.

Of course, there's plenty of houses about, but they seem to be either using their visible wood for walls or firewood. One of them might be effective, and one of them is easily obtainable, and the two qualities do not overlap, which is most regrettable.

In the chambers of King Fintel of the Fifty Fiefs of Farning-Fenton...

Niklas, faced with power almost beyond comprehension, grabs for more. His mind reaches forth and grabs for magic, all magic - from the unimaginable powers of demonkind to the simple tricks of the consummate entertainer to the subtle, incredibly tedious arts of the average enchanter. Scooping knowledge from all possible sources, he processes the knowledge - his mind envelops it like a great stomach, crystallizing, homogenizing the truth into a coherent bundle of secrets, a knot of extraordinary implications layered among one another. It tantalizes him to even look upon it - it takes the form of a fractal haze of green ice, ready to melt into his mind in one great wave of power.

His mouth, unstopped while his mind works, relays the knowledge he already has - that of the Artiste, what little Niklas truly recalls at the moment, being easily distracted at the best of times. His story is fractured and filled with asides on chairs and bloody-minded hostility, as all good stories must be.

"... hm, quite fascinating..." the king mutters, though whether it is at his story or at the innermost secrets of magic, which he appears to be staring at right now.

Niklas, almost as an afterthought, quickly scoops up the secrets of the culinary arts as well, arranging them into an elliptically orbiting body of deepest blue unknown in respect to the green haze. The arrangement has a sense of completeness, he thinks. There is nothing to add, and nothing to take away. He needs but reach out and absorb it.

"An interesting thing you've built," the king comments. "What do you plan to do with it?"

Deep, deep underground...

Scott has made the realization that all men must ultimately come to - the true obstacle to his ambitions of freedom, agency and power is that the person having them is Scott. This is an issue that must be fixed at the bottom floor, the rest of his fractured mental pyramid be damned.

[Will roll: 4]

It takes but a light tap, it turns out, and Scott is only minutely scrambled for a few moments before he manages to perfectly adapt. Now he's a self-made lunatic, which he supposes will have to do. Now, the question is, how does having so many pieces of his psyche so readily smashed help him at all?

It doesn't, and it takes him but a few moments to realize this. What he's missing is a two-dimensional vector from his body, as evident from something about him feeling distinctly one-dimensional, which with Scott's knowledge of subtraction makes perfect sense. What he needs, then, is to devise a method to find a two-dimensional object in ostensibly three-dimensional space before this sudden misplaced vector business becomes a problem.

This sudden shock of insight, naturally, lends credence to the idea that mentally breaking his psyche more than usual may have in fact been an oddly therapeutic thing for Scott. Perhaps it would be a good idea to try it more often.

At the gateway to absolute nothing...

Morton and Mark, bedazzled and befuddled by this terribly inconvenient cessation of existence that their escape route appears to have caught a case of, come to a singular agreement.

It's time for a tea break. Everybody gets tea. Blissfully forgettable conversation is made. Mark attempts charades, but it avails the group nothing. Mr. T vibrates. Wilma advocates moving away from the brink of nonexistence. Mark and Morton, on grounds that it seems to be perfectly harmless at the moment, don't see the need to do so just yet. Mr. T suddenly flips into a mirror image of himself, looking an entirely different man now. The difference, while truthfully minute, is staggeringly apparent. This manages to distract the group from any fleeting intent of productivity for the rest of the tea break.

As they finish their respective bits of tea, no progress has been made. But no regress has been made either, Morton points out, so it's all good. Probably. Unless something is tracking them through the city with evil intent. Wilma ventures that this may in fact be so. Mr. T appears to agree, as he vibrates again. Looking back at where they came from, Mark and Morton become aware of something coming their way. It seems akin to a wave. A wave of pink spikes erupting from the ground at odd angles. Slightly reminiscent of that thing Morton observed crossing the intersection earlier, but distinctly more malevolent and focused. Probably entirely incidental to the discussion. Also slightly far away. Thank goodness for long streets.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10383 on: February 16, 2015, 04:41:07 pm »

Carefully go down the tree, then begin going in the direction of the smoke. Always with my focus and phylactery, of course.

((And so, finally, I'm able to continue adventure!))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10384 on: February 16, 2015, 05:08:17 pm »

"What any chef eventually does with his or her masterpiece!

Eat this thing!

((This should be fun.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10385 on: February 16, 2015, 05:19:49 pm »

((Well great. Cant some people have tea in peace.))

Mark suggests that we get running in any direction we can that wont result in possible death
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10386 on: February 16, 2015, 06:20:21 pm »

[[Are you hinting that I am a boring singular dimensional character Harry? :P]]

Scott will move the earth in a shrug, or at least attempt to.

Mathematics be damned, this is one dimension that will be recognised, if not by his merits then by rendering any possible [learned] observer into a drooling puddle of hysteria over my physical impossibility!

Scott will venture back into to the world and find his lost companions, who must obviously be without hope and beleaguered with woe without him.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:17:36 am by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10387 on: February 17, 2015, 07:23:35 am »

Try to swim to the other side.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10388 on: February 17, 2015, 01:07:35 pm »

"What any chef eventually does with his or her masterpiece!

"The thing you are about to eat will grant you godlike power, of this I am perfectly certain. My question is, what will you do with it?"

[[Are you hinting that I am a boring singular dimensional character Harry? :P]]

Not at all. The one-dimensionality is far more physically literal in this case.

Besides, even if I had a problem with one-dimensional characters, Scott would be far from a prime concern.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10389 on: February 17, 2015, 03:39:01 pm »

Oh, that's what you're asking. Various things. Like any mortal, I have unfulfilled desires I'm not powerful enough to accomplish. I'll try my hand at those first of all. I'll likely also cooperate with you for a good while, as you gave me this opportunity. But I do have a grudge against ninjas to fulfil, so I'll be off looking for them at ... some point in the future. Afterwards? Likely begin something greater. If you've any ideas I'm up for it.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10390 on: February 17, 2015, 04:12:43 pm »

Oh, that's what you're asking. Various things. Like any mortal, I have unfulfilled desires I'm not powerful enough to accomplish. I'll try my hand at those first of all. I'll likely also cooperate with you for a good while, as you gave me this opportunity. But I do have a grudge against ninjas to fulfil, so I'll be off looking for them at ... some point in the future. Afterwards? Likely begin something greater. If you've any ideas I'm up for it.

"I'm not quite certain godlike power is the best thing for you is all. The amulet does tend to make these things rather easy."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10391 on: February 17, 2015, 04:17:21 pm »

Why do you think that?
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10392 on: February 17, 2015, 04:22:42 pm »

Why do you think that?

"Look at me, for instance. What has godlike power afforded me thus far?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10393 on: February 17, 2015, 04:56:29 pm »

Not really much, it seems.
Sig! Onol

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10394 on: February 17, 2015, 05:00:40 pm »

Seeing the mass of pink behind them, Morton sighed seeing as the time for tea has now properly passed. "Well, good news is that now we know where the route isn't, which leaves only where the route is, yes?" The tea apostle announced to the group rather... Strangely. The chaotic surroundings and intensive control over his emotions to keep Mr T appeased may be taking a toll.

Heedless of the personal oddity, Morton agreed with good surgeon Mark. "Yes, I do agree. It is time we bid haste, now properly refreshed and welcoming of adventure!"

Onwards! Away from the strange pink and towards the road! They have an appointment to keep!
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 719