Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 111

Author Topic: The Bay12 RPG - Made in RPG Maker VX! - Back again by popular demand!  (Read 222882 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 RPG - Made in RPG Maker VX! - You can be a player!
« Reply #1050 on: November 16, 2012, 06:03:39 pm »

Those were a thing since XP at the very latest.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: November 16, 2012, 06:06:29 pm »

Those were a thing since XP at the very latest.

I was wondering mostly because since Evander is a buffer/debuffer his stat curve should be a early riser (Highest comparitive stats at the start, weaker comparitively as it goes on)

Since at the start when his buffs/debuffs are weak he isn't supposed to be a liability. So his stats are decent to make a decent character with some buffing.

But later when he gets powerful party buffs/debuffs his stats should be low.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 06:17:54 pm by Neonivek »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: November 16, 2012, 10:24:43 pm »

so Evander has a very sharp curve but his stats bottom out very early and at a lower level than the others?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: November 16, 2012, 11:28:35 pm »

I just had an idea for the plot. I've only caught up to the top of the 50th page, but how about the tutorial quests?

1--PC wakes up with amnesia. As is standard protocol, s/he is sent to a village elder. Teaches movement and such.
2--PC reaches the elder. S/he is told to go search the forest for some berries, learning combat.
3--The elder makes muffins. While they cook, the PC is sent to exterminate some rats in the basement. These include rats, giant, rats, fire rats, rat swarms, miniature rats, etc. When they get 10 rat tails (drop rate 10%, or 25% for swarms), the PCs return to the main house.
4--The elder asks why it took so long to kill 10 rats; the PC says that surprisingly few rats HAD tails. The elder acts shocked, and sends the PC to kill a goblin chief in the forest and bring his amulet to see if s/he is really a hero. The goblin chief is weaker than the warrior goblins and wonders why people keep trying to kill him. Some time during this quest, the first other party member joins.
5--Upon being brought the amulet, the village elder teaches the PC some pivotal technique that will be a major part of his/her toolbox/arsenal. He then gives the PC muffins, a minor healing item, and offers to make any more berries the PCs find into muffins.
6--To help deal with a warlord in the region (a flunky of the real Big Bad), the elder reccomends the PC get the Holy Log of Ämireņa, the dead elven nation. It turns out to be a weapon about 2-3 times the size of an elf, and very heavy (penalties to speed, but lots of damage)
7--The PC is sent to the warlord's castle. After many battles, they discover that the warlord has a powerful magic ring reducing the damage he takes; out of the weapons they have, only the Holy Log deals enough damage. The debuffer guy and such need to tie down the warlord while the PC smacks the warlord with the log.
8--The elder belatedly remembers to teach the PC a spell he could use with the Holy Log. It's impressive, but requires the Log to be used and the PC isn't any good at magic so they leave it behind.
9--The plot begins. The elder acts as though the warlord was the final boss.
10--Eventually, the Holy Log is retrieved for a more powerful mage to use on the Big Bad.

Thoughts?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: November 17, 2012, 12:18:37 am »

I like this. We only had a macro plot even somewhat in place so far.

Uhm, Darvi, I hate to be a bastard, but would you be able to make a faceset and 8D for Uriel?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: November 17, 2012, 12:22:07 am »

What if we just came up with several min-plots and poorly welded them together?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: November 17, 2012, 12:22:41 am »

I just had an idea for the plot. I've only caught up to the top of the 50th page, but how about the tutorial quests?

1--PC wakes up with amnesia. As is standard protocol, s/he is sent to a village elder. Teaches movement and such.
2--PC reaches the elder. S/he is told to go search the forest for some berries, learning combat.
3--The elder makes muffins. While they cook, the PC is sent to exterminate some rats in the basement. These include rats, giant, rats, fire rats, rat swarms, miniature rats, etc. When they get 10 rat tails (drop rate 10%, or 25% for swarms), the PCs return to the main house.
4--The elder asks why it took so long to kill 10 rats; the PC says that surprisingly few rats HAD tails. The elder acts shocked, and sends the PC to kill a goblin chief in the forest and bring his amulet to see if s/he is really a hero. The goblin chief is weaker than the warrior goblins and wonders why people keep trying to kill him. Some time during this quest, the first other party member joins.
5--Upon being brought the amulet, the village elder teaches the PC some pivotal technique that will be a major part of his/her toolbox/arsenal. He then gives the PC muffins, a minor healing item, and offers to make any more berries the PCs find into muffins.
6--To help deal with a warlord in the region (a flunky of the real Big Bad), the elder reccomends the PC get the Holy Log of Ämireņa, the dead elven nation. It turns out to be a weapon about 2-3 times the size of an elf, and very heavy (penalties to speed, but lots of damage)
7--The PC is sent to the warlord's castle. After many battles, they discover that the warlord has a powerful magic ring reducing the damage he takes; out of the weapons they have, only the Holy Log deals enough damage. The debuffer guy and such need to tie down the warlord while the PC smacks the warlord with the log.
8--The elder belatedly remembers to teach the PC a spell he could use with the Holy Log. It's impressive, but requires the Log to be used and the PC isn't any good at magic so they leave it behind.
10--Eventually, the Holy Log is retrieved for a more powerful mage to use on the Big Bad.

Thoughts?

Logs are not mining implements. Also the PC is Female.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: November 17, 2012, 01:03:17 am »

If I understand correctly, the pc can be either gender, as chosen by the player at the start of the game.

Uhm, Darvi, I hate to be a bastard, but would you be able to make a faceset and 8D for Uriel?
I could give it a try, if you provide me with a picture.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: November 17, 2012, 01:05:50 am »

I thought that we were going with a female main character in an attempt to add some more women into the game. And my some I mean one. This isn't exactly the greatest of games for gender equality.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: November 17, 2012, 01:12:09 am »

I thought it was exactly that but with an added optional persona style friendship thing for each PC.

God dammit us, GET OUR SHIT TOGETHER.

Maybe if you go beyond metaphorical rank ten you'd get special dialogue near the end of the game for the MC and PC in question. Only one, though.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 01:17:53 am by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: November 17, 2012, 02:13:02 am »

so Evander has a very sharp curve but his stats bottom out very early and at a lower level than the others?

Yeah, mostly to balance him.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: November 17, 2012, 02:53:15 am »

FFschooler has a picture of the male PC, 'Uriel'.

The female PC, 'Ursula', looks the same but female.

Quick crummy character concept sketch gogogogo

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: November 17, 2012, 06:13:33 am »

I'm an editor, not a crator. Can't do jack if I don't have anything to work with,

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: November 17, 2012, 06:36:00 am »

I'm an editor, not a crator. Can't do jack if I don't have anything to work with,

Very well. :P

And Fuzzy, if you would be able to, that'd be fantastic.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: November 17, 2012, 07:29:35 am »

Thoughts?
Logs are not mining implements. Also the PC is Female.
It's not supposed to be taken seriously, a pick is unbalanced like a log, and why be limited by arbitrary distinctions? I think it would be sad if the generic "Oversized +∞ Sword of Glowing" couldn't be wielded by Ursula.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 111