Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 52333 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2017, 02:10:14 am »

If and when this comes to pass, anyone who would like a ship butler/bodyguard/suicidal boarding commando knows who to ask.  8)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2017, 06:24:17 am »

If and when this comes to pass, anyone who would like a ship butler/bodyguard/suicidal boarding commando knows who to ask.  8)

I love the idea of a butler who is also a suicidal boarding commando.

"Alfred...Alfred can I have some more tea? Alfred? Alfred where have you gone?"
"Dreadfully sorry sir, I'm a little bit indisposed at the moment - YOU CALL THAT AN ATTACK!? I DIDN'T EVEN NEED THAT LEG! - I'll be right with you when I'm free - DON'T YOU THINK ABOUT RUNNING AWAY!'
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 07, 2017, 07:26:19 am »

So I'm not sure if anyone in this thread is aware (quick topic search seems to agree with me) but Spidermind Games is in the proccess of kickstarting an Elite: Dangerous RPG! There's a free playtest available and the game looks pretty neat.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
7 days to go on the kickstarter (Their goal has already been met) so if you want to get in on it now's the time. Or when it's released is the time. Look, there are two times and now is one of them!

In Elite: Dangerous the video game for electronic devices news, I've recently (I don't know how I didn't know earlier) found out about the ability to register a player minor faction in a system. Curious as to whether there's a(ny) Bay12 faction(s) or group(s) out there. I'm honestly tempted to apply to establish my own independent corporation faction somewhere, it would be great to have my own personal goal (having the faction prosper) to work towards and make my mark on the galaxy besides a few hundred stars and rocks that 0.01% of the player base would ever see. Of course, considering my player 'group' is literally myself and my housemate I'm not sure if an application would be approved but a man can dream.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #198 on: February 07, 2017, 07:43:01 am »

I believe ollobrains made a faction but it's not specifically for bay12. Also he's kind of a nuisance.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 07, 2017, 10:55:12 am »

That's a shame. I wonder if there'd be enough willing people here to get a reasonable group going and be my personal corporate drones? My own glorious ambitions aside I would genuinely like to have a little ED community to play with. I've been in Fedmich lately doing the community goals there for instance, and god damn is it frustrating to not get the bounty after you just nearly died trying to take down a Clipper because someone else was also attacking it.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2017, 03:03:33 pm »

I wouldn't object to a Bay12 group, but I'm kind of awful at fighting.  I mostly just putter around in an Adder here and there for a few game sessions every month or two, exploring as I wish. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:05:37 pm by Culise »

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 07, 2017, 10:58:09 pm »

No need to fight! I like the idea of having group exploration trips into a nebula or to a specific black hole. I find basically everything in E:D is improved with other people, especially trading and bounty hunting since when you're nearby when a player in your wing sells goods/hands in a bounty you get an additional award that is a fraction of what they got. You basically get free money just from doing something with another person.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2017, 01:24:50 pm »

I havent played ED in a while but if we create a group i think i would be interested.  I have my clipper with a bunch of alien stuff, with cargo bay in critical condition near civilization after my last return to the game after the discovery of the alien ruins.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2017, 03:21:13 pm »

Me and some friends happen to have a group and our own little custom faction we toy with now and then. We've been on a hiatus, mostly waiting for multicrew because at the moment there really isn't any reason to do anything together aside from the added fun, in most cases grouping up is even detrimental to your profit over time which is really stupid :/
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 15, 2017, 04:41:31 pm »

2.3 beta starts up next week

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 16, 2017, 02:04:37 am »

Commander creator looks amazing, 'Holo-Me is a stupid name for it though. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

I honestly cannot think of another game that has a character creator with an 'Undo/Redo' function.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2017, 04:10:57 am »

Sims 4 has that. I have seen a few others too. This did look interesting though

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 19, 2017, 04:31:37 pm »

While multicrew sounds wonderful and all, will ED really take good advantage of it? It's not really a Guns of Icarus type game, with constant battle and repairs and stuff. It sort of sounds like manning a turret will be all the fun of flying a ship....... without any of the fun of flying a ship. Just sitting there, staring off into space, maybe occasionally taking a potshot at rocks and/or figments of your imagination. You kinda just hope there's a battle to relieve the boredom, and the rest of the time it's just busy-work around the ship. It might be good as a secondary role to play (checking trading prices/missions/other stuff would be your primary "thing to do", kind of a logistics officer that's also pretty handy on a turret sometimes), but it seems like just having another player with their own ship would be more fun.

So, is there genuinely other stuff to do aboard a ship? Or would multicrew end up amounting to having a closed chat-room to ramble in when you're bored and occasionally better turrets? Wouldn't just having another light, cheap ship tagging along be better? While it might split profits between ships, it also lets you play stealth/unstealthed bait and kill tactics, along with all the other flexibility that even a crappy ship gives your group (compared to a potentially marginally better turret in combat). More cargo space, more equipment options and just as much idle banter available as an onboard crew member could give. Or is it just to keep a group together, because people tend to wander off? Are turrets really that important in big ships (compared to just having another ship flying with you)?

(I don't know that much about Elite: Dangerous, so I'm genuinely interested)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 04:44:23 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2017, 06:43:57 pm »

While multicrew sounds wonderful and all, will ED really take good advantage of it? It's not really a Guns of Icarus type game, with constant battle and repairs and stuff. It sort of sounds like manning a turret will be all the fun of flying a ship....... without any of the fun of flying a ship. Just sitting there, staring off into space, maybe occasionally taking a potshot at rocks and/or figments of your imagination. You kinda just hope there's a battle to relieve the boredom, and the rest of the time it's just busy-work around the ship. It might be good as a secondary role to play (checking trading prices/missions/other stuff would be your primary "thing to do", kind of a logistics officer that's also pretty handy on a turret sometimes), but it seems like just having another player with their own ship would be more fun.

So, is there genuinely other stuff to do aboard a ship? Or would multicrew end up amounting to having a closed chat-room to ramble in when you're bored and occasionally better turrets? Wouldn't just having another light, cheap ship tagging along be better? While it might split profits between ships, it also lets you play stealth/unstealthed bait and kill tactics, along with all the other flexibility that even a crappy ship gives your group (compared to a potentially marginally better turret in combat). More cargo space, more equipment options and just as much idle banter available as an onboard crew member could give. Or is it just to keep a group together, because people tend to wander off? Are turrets really that important in big ships (compared to just having another ship flying with you)?

(I don't know that much about Elite: Dangerous, so I'm genuinely interested)

I don't have this, but I've read up on it a lot and there do seem to be a number of things that they can do.

I think the main thing is that this is going to be the first time multi-crew has really been done for an open universe space sim, so I think it's more of a 'lets see how this works, if people like it, we'll expand on it' type thing rather than it being an amazingly exciting addition from day one.

It's what everyone has always wanted out of a space sim, so I'm very eager to see how it works out.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2017, 07:48:00 pm »

From what little I've seen, multi crew looks pretty disappointing. Maybe it has potential in the future if they ever add bigger ships, but with these ships...

It just looks like "wow! Now Person B gets to press the 'fire' button on Hardpoint #2 while Person C gets to control the engine throttle!"

I don't see how multicrew could have any advantages over just getting your friends cheap ships and having them fly on a wing, instead of having them micromanage tiny portions of your ship.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23