Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 220775 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #525 on: November 28, 2012, 06:26:55 am »

Voting for the third option. We're not really at the point in animal empathy where we need magical assistance to get better. We can get most/all of the benefits by studying more animal empathy. The second one is also kinda tempting (though we should just use it on the lovebirds - we expect our troll wives to be loyal without mind controlling them) but I think more gifts is better.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 28, 2012, 06:41:09 am »

Training is not a fast thing to do, and that bonus will stay if we increase animal empathy making it even better

Besides you don't account a chance of failure. Who knows what shit can happen if our wife screw up with our aura?

Edit:

We should take plant empathy, instead. Why? Because we have a soul of a plant empath! And we operate in the forest, so we are going to need it
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:49:44 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 28, 2012, 06:47:41 am »

Hmm, that's actually a really good point. Which enchantment has the best chance of working?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 28, 2012, 06:51:44 am »

You ninjad my edit :) I think plant empathy should be the easiest, because of the nature of the used soul
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 28, 2012, 07:39:01 am »

Also, since we are the only remaining entity that remembers night troll culture, we could take this as an opportunity to redefine enchanting as a sacrifice by the soul collector, instead of a dark art. Don't lie about anything, just take a different perspective.
We're the last night troll, but between books and immortal elves there's still the probability that people know about our culture. And they'll probably see through our ruse.

I agree that switching the enchantment to plant empathy makes sense, and that we should talk to Rox about Alice and the "wonderland" she may want Alice to escape.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 28, 2012, 08:07:07 am »

Considering the surroundings, chance of failure and the nature of the soul, something nature related would be good. Plant empathy should be pretty good in these circumstances.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 28, 2012, 03:51:50 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We shall not forget Alice, she is our friend... (and a nice potential mate)

We should chat with the tigerwoman and carefully find out if she is ready to go against Foghorn to save Alice.

I suggest to spend a night sparring with the wife (use sticks for swords) That may let us learn a trick or two and Gwen needs to get used for her body

If she is skilled in unarmed combat, we should practice that, too

As for bracelet, I think boost to animal empathy is a nice thing to have

"I think I'll go for the plant empathy option dear. Now get some sticks, I would like to practice my swordsmanship, and you need to get used to it in your new body!"

Gwen nods and fetches two wooden training swords. The two of you spar for a few hours. You note that Gwendolyn's technique is a bit awkward: You made her so much taller that her sword is, by comparison, a dagger in her hands. The advice she gives however is still solid, and by the end of your training session you feel like you have learned at least the basics. 1d20 = 12 - 3(Untrained Skill) + 4(Trainer's Skill) = 13

You ask your mate if she knows anything about fighting unarmed; she dosn't. You then ask Rox. To nobodies surprise the Tigerwoman claims to be an expert in the field.

Sparring with Rox proves to be a little difficult. The Tigerwoman relies on her teeth and claws to fight, assets unavaible to you. You begin to think her style is irreconcilable with your body, but you don't call off the traininng; instead you use it as a chance to talk to Rox.

Ducking under an intentionally telegraphed swipe of her claws you broach the subject. "You don't like how Foghorn is treating Alice, do you?"

Rox cartwheels out of the way of a rather feeble counter-punch from you. "I do not."

"Alice and I have not known each other long, but we are good friends. Her fate saddens me. I wish to rescue her from it."

Your instructor crouches down and pounces at you, knocking you to the ground. She attempts to throw you in a chokehold and you try to squirm back to a less dangerous position. "I as well would like to rescue her. I would give  own life for her if it would help. But I would not see Mr. Foghorn harmed. He took me in after Phyrost destroyed my tribe and raised Rox from a cub."

She stops struggling and begins to sob. "I love them both so much... my heart is broken."

You allow her to collect herself before restarting the sparing session. 1d20 = 11 + 1(Skill) = 12

For the rest of the night you keep training with Rox. You can't get anymore out of her about the Alice situation, and your frustration builds as you fail to improve your technique. The session ends just before dawn when a stray swipe from Rox tears into your outfit and shreds one of your books, The Utility of Fire, to pieces. 1d20 = 3 - 3(Untrained Skill) + 5(Trainer's Skill) - 3(Trainer's style incompatible) = 2

Breakfast is a huge omlet prepared by Gwendolyn out of giant eggs. You eat up and head back to the tree to sleep.

---

"Wakey-wakey!"

You open your eyes to see Foghorn standing over you, beaming. Rox, Gwendolyn, and Esmeralda stand in the corner.

Checking your wrist you note that the bracelet is now engraved with leaves and twigs, and you no longer feel bound by it. The damn thing still wont come off your wrist however. Gwendolyn offers you a wink and a blush as you fiddle with it. 1d20 = 13 + 2(Gwen's Skill) + 1(Soul Compatible with Enchantment) = 16

The old wizard offers you a hand and helps you to your feet. "I'm soooooo sorry about my daughter's behavior. I thank you for rejecting her, and assure you she has been punished for trying to turn you against me. Speaking of which I got a note from Vindel ordering you to obey his orders no longer, but it looks like you don't need it!"

Foghorn paces. "This is a nice ranch. The lovebirds are a great resource. Are you going to want to stay here or return to the tower? I can have Rox or Edgar babysit the site you aren't using until you have enough mates to keep them all occupied."

You peek out through the leaves and check on the sun. It still wont be night for a few hours. "How far is this place from the tower anyway?"

"If you leave now, Rox can show you back by around midnight."

You are free! You have gained a new gift to commemorate the major plot development!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:55:14 pm by Weirdsound »

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 28, 2012, 04:08:17 pm »

Having two potential bases of operation is great, gives us both flexibility and could end up saving our ass.
Thank Foghorn for his generous assistance, personally i think we should dwell primarily at the tower and use the ranch as something of a satelite lair.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:14:43 pm by Mlamlah »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 28, 2012, 04:33:11 pm »

Looks like we have to forget about saving Alice for a while, because we shouldn't go against Foghorn. He is surely a friend, we shouldn't be too soft and maybe later we'll save Alice... On other hand we may just go, kill Vindel and free Alice

So, Yes, thank him
Say Foghorn that mating with Alice was a very tempting thought as she could be turned in a powerful night troll, but we gave our word to not do anything with his daughters and we do keep our word.

Also say, that we need a sword because Vindel took ours and it's not good to have none

And ask him about his future plans and express desire to accompany him together with your spouse offering him assistance in exchange for Eon magic training (Gwen needs some theoretical knowledge do blink better)

And let Rox to watch over ranch

Edit:

And note that he have nothing to be sorry about, tell that you understand that Alice is too young and may make some unwise actions and we aren't really happy that she is punished
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:40:59 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 28, 2012, 04:58:25 pm »

I don't think we should ask Foghorn for so much, we do not want to push our luck with him and start treating him like a good deed vending machine. He's done a lot for our benefit already.

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 28, 2012, 05:00:06 pm »

Imo we should just thank Foghorn - and then go off to kill Vindel and convert Alice, hopefully in a way that leaves Foghorn none the wiser to what happened. After all, he won't recognize the new Alice.

As for how to deal with Vindel - he probably assumes we're just a minion of Foghorn's. Tell him that Foghorn wishes to meet at midnight in the forest to discuss a plan whereby both could acquire untold power. Then, posse up with tigerlady and our new consort to ambush him. After that we can go rescue/convert Alice.

Ideally we'd plant evidence that elves killed Vindel, so as to more thoroughly cover our tracks.

Side note - we should try to learn Necromancy at the earliest opportunity. Eating an elf gives us a skeleton to animate then, as well as just food. You can never start too early at building your army of darkness, after all.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 05:13:09 pm by Corruptor »
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 28, 2012, 05:11:02 pm »

I think alice might be one who could actually prove a more powerful and adaptable ally with her free will, if we do free her.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 28, 2012, 05:14:14 pm »

In fact staying at ranch and attacking Vindel right now is not a bad idea, especially if Rox will stay with us... She is an unarmed combat expert, ready to fight for Alice and will not need to hurt Foghorn

So Yes, thank Foghorn, say that we prefer to stay here and hunt some elves and ask to lend us Rox for few days, to make hunting safer. Then we may go visit Vindel with our wife and Tigerwomn

Note that Alice may be
a) Be dead already and her soul used for enchantments
b) Enslaved like we was
c) crippled to the point of uselessnes

Still, we need some sweet revenge
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 05:16:55 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 28, 2012, 05:18:25 pm »

I think alice might be one who could actually prove a more powerful and adaptable ally with her free will, if we do free her.
Our former-elf consort is relatively free-willed - its instinctive loyalty, not the kind of full mind bind that cripples autonomy and creativity. I assume it would be the same with Alice - particularly since this would be the second time we've saved her.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 05:20:38 pm by Corruptor »
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 28, 2012, 05:20:22 pm »

Check out the gift that we have.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 143