Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 435

Author Topic: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension  (Read 962009 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Bear:1, Wizards:0
« Reply #4920 on: May 09, 2013, 04:00:03 pm »

I'm suddenly a bit concerned that I've signed up with a god who's main schtick is using runes which draw upon the others influence to kill the other.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4921 on: May 09, 2013, 04:04:42 pm »

Yeah, I think that got retconned out- It was kinda odd that some of the gods that predate the other base their powers upon the others magic.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: May 09, 2013, 04:09:03 pm »

I trust 'em, but that's probably because if we kill him we wouldn't respawn anymore until we figure out how to make the runes in the spawn room on our own.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4923 on: May 09, 2013, 04:12:19 pm »

It's not basing his power on the Other's magic. It's about the God's sphere of influence. Potency, fire, elements, protection, change, self-mutilation, knowledge, rune magic, all those things existed before the Other's manifestation was imprisoned. The Gods (perhaps with the help or the meddling of the monks) simply adjusted their methods to accommodate current circumstances.

EDIT: Kind of hard to kill what you can't touch.

EDIT2: And don't forget: the gods have their own magic. The runes used in this temple use the magic of the gods, not the magic of the Other. And there is that "magic of the deep" we don't know anything about.

EDIT3: I remembered some things wrong. Here is one of the original posts: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119572.msg4076852#msg4076852 Maybe they are called rites of the Deep because they were found in the deep ruins of this mountain, probably accessed through the catacombs. The ruins were from the previous civilisation? Maybe the previous civilisation also tampered with the Other and that's what led to their downfall.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 05:05:21 pm by Parisbre56 »

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: May 09, 2013, 05:34:01 pm »

This is kind of the case of "you have someone who can probably answer any question, but you have to know the question" kind of thing. I'm sure all it would take is some dude hitting up the lich for information. We need to make a kind of ranged communication device for him, that way we can just chat him up wherever we are.

EDIT: If you like, I can see if I can dig up the old PMs of the conversation between me and the lich. Doubt they're of much use to hide anymore, it was more a test to see if I could.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 05:37:06 pm by Xanmyral »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: May 09, 2013, 05:48:45 pm »

I'm tempted to see if you could convert to the Other...of course, you might end up with Agatha's fate...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4926 on: May 09, 2013, 06:02:33 pm »

I'd like to see those PMs. It would be good to know more about what we're supposed to do.

The king made a deal with the Other. Look how good it turned out for him. But if you really want to join the Other you can always say Zentol x 8. That would solve one mystery.

I have a theory for creating a remote controlled drone. I'll try creating a permanent "Red Phone" to the lich if I have the time and my drone theory is correct.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: May 09, 2013, 07:42:40 pm »

This is kind of the case of "you have someone who can probably answer any question, but you have to know the question" kind of thing. I'm sure all it would take is some dude hitting up the lich for information. We need to make a kind of ranged communication device for him, that way we can just chat him up wherever we are.

EDIT: If you like, I can see if I can dig up the old PMs of the conversation between me and the lich. Doubt they're of much use to hide anymore, it was more a test to see if I could.
For some reason, I read that as hitting on the lich. My brain is now oatmeal.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: May 09, 2013, 10:51:35 pm »

Well, if that's your thing Arch, I don't think anyone would stop you from trying.

Quote from: Lichy Talky Thing
"It is doubtful if the magics of our ancestors have the power alone. The shrines of the gods below hold their power. Make an offering to gain it and please the gods to become greater.

Fear not for use of it's magic. Your use shall be a drop in the ocean compared to what came before. And fear not using the magic of the other against it; for it is a blind idiot, mindless in it's omnipotence. It's own power will burn it just as sure as it burns you. After all, that which is sealed below is only an avatar, a messenger, a fraction of the infinite that is the Other.

But a word of warning about that book. All within it is safe in theory, save for one word. The true name of the other, which calls it's manifestations to you. Such a word is powerful, but dangerous. You will not survive its use for long."

Huh, that was disappointingly shorter than I thought it was. The only other thing deals with basic descriptions of the deities and what they can do, which doesn't really relate to this.

EDIT: To clear up any misconceptions, the "shrines below" relate to the shrines on the floor below, not some metaphorical below.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:53:45 pm by Xanmyral »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: May 10, 2013, 01:26:52 am »

For some reason, I read that as hitting on the lich. My brain is now oatmeal.
Do it. You know you want to.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4930 on: May 10, 2013, 05:24:56 pm »

Tap foot impatiently. Experiment with words.
[pot:4,4,1,3,2]

Horns, bracelet, Nothing, a sort of fleshy lump with 5 nubs, nothing.

Rothcaltal Uristrat. Beer should be a relatively safe thing to experiment with, as if the word means 'fly backwards at high speed', I'd prefer a delicious liquid to some obsidian or something.
[pot:4]
You fire a beam, or in this case more like a high pressure spray, of booze straight out in front of you.

"I'm firing high pressure bursts of fluid! Normally I don't do that until AFTER I've been drinking for a while."

Ah. Pedestrian creations, then.
[pot:5+1]
You summon up a very dangerous looking crystal sword and have your homunculus pick it up. Best not to handle it yourself; sharp edges and all.

Keep searching village for a villager to order to kill self messily.

You don't find anyone this time. Hmm..Maybe you could attract them somehow...

I dont get to see the result of my words? Pity......
X5 SAND LEVITATION!!!
Clo-Caltel No-Noheim Hobitaoed

You had words? I don't remember you having words, just trying to levitate.

You summon a great big clockwork bear. It's under your control but it's also completely inanimate.

[will:6,6,4,3,2-1 all]

Two perfect levitations, one instance of only lifting it a bit, one failure, and one spray of sand into your own face.

So circles in circles are useless? Do they wreck the whole thing, simply do their own thing, or interact?

Humph. I need a better sciencing area. Still, this will do for now, but...
Circle (Square?) A6, in the tiny circles write B10 and D2.

Activate if/when possible.
Oh, no circles in circles, if done right, work fine. In fact, some are almost designed to work like that -like the sister circle to the one Zako is messing with. It's just that the particular circles you were using didn't work like that. In fact, one of them doesn't even use runes at all.

[pot:6]
A dozen bones jut up from within the circle, grow a few feet tall and then break off, slamming into the ground with surprising force.

Oh. In the forest, please.
Say Szahell Adamenstiar Donbel. Try to make it so the cloth is on the inside, to cushion from blows. If successful wear it.
[pot:1+1]
Welp.

You head down the mountain and onto the quiet path where Cog just beat a stone boar to death. The path continues forward for a while, but looks like it forks up ahead.

Hmm. Not going that way. Doesn't seem good for my continued prospect of living.
Try to find a cave (Bonus for being pretty. Like crystal or something) to get lost in and/or search though it.
So...not into the forest? Because the only caves that people know about so far are
1.the one over at the beach where Unholy and Singular murdered themselves.
2. the one under the temple to scarlon.

And none of them have crystals. Unless you feel like putting some crystals in there.

Glare at Kisame, then wander off into the forest.  If I don't end up in combat, say words.

See if I can do backflips along the way or something to farm rep like the will god people.

[dex:2-1]
You attempt to do a flip, land face first and knock the wind out of yourself.  You spend the next several minutes gasping and rolling on the ground, crying.

Try something different. Give result to Angle.

@kisame: Congrats on the boss kill.

@Tsuchigumo550: I will say that certain circles can be combined if you do it correctly. But even then, the results won't be exactly what I think you want to do. If you want to know specifics, we can always find something to trade...

[pot:3+1]
You put a mark on one of the fungi rings and then hand it to angle. You don't think it was exactly as you intended, but it was close.

[@Piecewise: Does that mean I go back to covenant level one?

Also, damn following Blastel looks really tempting. Hm... Time to do something truly unadvised, for a mixture of possibly getting to a new character quicker, some religious science for everyone, and possibly ultimate power for Glassco.]

Glassco sighs. "Well, seems still controlling Sparky is a no-go. Also, I don't plan on being anywhere outside while that thing is out there." He said, jabbing a thumb where the rune was behind the nice doors. "If you don't need me, I think I'm actually going to try something out... I asked the old lich guy about it a while ago, but never really tested it out. May as well give it a shot, no? Besides, seems we'll be holed up in here for at least a little while longer while whatever is going on outside happens. I wouldn't suggest following me in case I horribly die." Glassco said nonchalantly to John, then made his way back to the hall of the eight. He enters the shrine to Nul-sheal the Green. "Well... Here goes nothing." He picks up the dagger, slices his thumb up a bit, and lets the blood drip into the basin.

(would be a bit moot now eh?)

The second the drops of blood hit the basin your mask shatters and a new mark appears on your forehead.

A voice whispers across the world, into the ears of every disciple of scarlon

"Glassco is a traitor. Bring his death and you shall gain my favor."

On the plus side, you do gain control over diamond, which is pretty helpful.

Revenge will be mine! Rothon, if that fail Garstorpit, and if that fails then Zaral.
[spd:1-1]
[torch spd:6]
[torch dex:6]
[torch str:3]
[end:2]
The torch wielder cracks you on the top of the head with his torch and lights your hair on fire.
[will:4]
You manage to pat and whack and smother the flame before it can really hurt you, but that takes up the entire turn.

"It seems to have some sort of timer, that should give me enough time for a few experiments."
Stand just outside the anti-magic zone and commence Runic Experiments.
The first circle seems to pour a sickly greenish black light into the limb.
[pot:2]
This circle, though it fails, costs 2 points to inscribe, 1 for the circle, another for the rune. S0 you're out of mana for now.

Will my thallids to view paris as a friendly, and to tolerate any actions that he takes. If a ring is forthcoming, accept it, and will my concussion to go away, then, using my power over fungus and the power over iron and steel that the ring gives me, will a mushroom to grow and spread deep into the ground, absorbing all the iron that it comes across and incorporating it into it's structure, fusing it with carbon to make steel, such that the end result is a mushroom that is made in large part from steel.. Will my mech to rearm itself with another set of missiles.  If I still have will actions left, Will one of my thallids to become a necromantic thallid.

(Also: If we were to draw a circle (Not a rune, a circle) that wasn't listed in the book, what would happen? Nothing, or something unpredictable? What if very obviously fit in one of the series of circles? Say, like this circle?)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Got the ring.
[will:6+2-1]
Fixed your drain bamage
[will:3+3]
And rebuild your mech's armaments.

Now here's the thing when it comes to those mixed type fungus people: first, there's not that much iron in the dirt. You're not on mars. But beyond that, when it comes to using iron mixed thallids you're gonna need two rolls for that to work. One for the fungus, another for the iron. And that means you'll get two rolls every  time you want to use one of them. It will get a bit cumbersome, no doubt.

Oh and gonna say "no" on the "Similar but not listed" circles. For the sake of my sanity and the game mechanics not falling apart.

"There it goes...  :o Pretty cool looking, but I get the feeling that's not all it's going to do. Or that that rune was completely necessary..."

Perform more science while waiting.
[pot:3+2]
Your circle summons an altar made of plants. It's much like the altars back in the temple, but lacking any sort of obvious symbol as to who it's an altar to.

((Well, I figure that if there's a door there, It's only reasonable for there to be a tunnel behind it. I was thinking I could breach the tunnel and enter it. And while gold's really soft, it's freakishly heavy, so I should be able to do some decent crushing damage with it, especially if I will it not to deform when I swing it.))

Larry looks up at some unseen voice and grins

"I'm talking to a door here, and threatening to murder its friends. If you're looking for my common sense, I think it's crying in a corner next to the fourth wall. NOW LET'S GET RAMMING!"

Form a golden battering ram and try to send it through the wall, being very careful not to touch the enchanted door with it. Try to will the ram not to deform when it hits the stone.

The room is shaped more like this

Door
              /        \
              |         |
              |         |
rather then this

---Door---
             /              \
            |                |
            |                |

So there's not really anywhere for you to hit that would lead in where the door is blocking.

Really, you can't get past that door till a certain person is dead. So I'll save you the misfortune of vaporizing all your gold in an attempt to do so.

Same post as last time. More obvious usage of the same word: CAINTHALSAZ[/u]

"COMIC SANS!"
Are you fighting something? I don't have it down in my notes that you are... I think you might have been fighting the Master, but he's dead now. And I think he was dead before I got around to your turn last time too...I dunno.

"WHOOOO! SUCK IT LONG AND SUCK IT HARD! WHO'S THE MASTER NOW BITCH!"

Teabag the corpse Head further into the forest. Oh, and two dex, one end.
You continue along the path for a while until you come to a fork deep in the forest.  The path to the Left continues on toward what look like a line of carved tree trunks. The path to the Right passes by a collection of unnatural looking stones.

words and stuff
[pot:2+1]
pppphhhertpt

The magic fails to produce anything useful, however the lump of smoldering nothing it does make is solid enough. So there's that confirmed, at the very least.

You head up and talk to the monks.

"The Everflame is the greatest of the god's boons, awarded to only their most devoted. It would take devotion of the highest order to attain. 5 times what you have now. "

"Hmm...  Perhaps the door is not opened via an electricity binding but is held in place by some electric mechanism.  If so I might be able to short-circuit it."  Ozzy casts "Prathel" in hopes of doing just that but if that also comes to naught, he'll return to the dimly light hallway.

Once inside he'd gather up a stick and pointing at one of the trunks filled with clothing scraps, he'd cast "Uristrast" and then wrap a few of the soaked rags around the tip of his stick.

[pot:3]
The bit of water you summon doesn't do anything to the door. Oh well. You head back to the hallway.
You make yourself a juryrigged torch and attempt to douse it in booze.
You are incredibly successful.

((Piecewise, a roll of six means it sticks around... right?))

"Ok, lets see just how far cryptanalysis has taken me... good thing people tend to speak words loudly..."

Speak "Kallth Quielio Garstopit" While thinking of my entire body and pointing at me with my one good hand (eh, point at myself with my bleeding stump too, just try not to get blood in my own eyes. That would be bad. For seeing. With my eyes.)

If this works, try and will my hand back (and to working order).

Say "Quielio" with my remaining pool, make it hover near me, A little over head-height to my side will do! (IF it is a big chunk, split it into two first).
*reads turn*
*reads what Kallth does*
*Giggles*
[pot:1]
[end:5]
Aww..oh well. Your...left big toe turns in obsidian.   Also You're still bleeding out.

((Time to go looking for trouble/souls to collect.))

Words, then activate the mark and head down to the village with my sword in hand, looking for trouble along the way.
Fasty, strongy mark in place.

And you come across a cloud Shepard on the way down the mountain. They're floating, strange humanoid things wrapped in a cloak of clouds and walking near the path, through mid air.

"May as well try some runes while I wait."
Draw runes B18, B19, B20 and B21 somewhere I can watch the fireworks.
[pot:4,6,1,2,+1 all]
Rubber, Garstopit, Nothing, rare earth magnet.

((Oh well. It is unfortunate that the restrictions imposed upon you prevent you from conducting a trade. Free markets and mutual profit is the way to prosperity. Think about it.))
((I'm quite willing to trade equipment and resources, just not words since they were never mine to begin with. If Perplexicon was a free market, Aether, Bismuth and the Sky Pirates would be angel investors.))

"So just these arrows? I'll give you an experimental force field arrow since you might actually have a use for it. I'll be right back, I just need to test something"
Silica gives Stephen the diamond arrows and the forcefield arrow. She then goes just outside the anti-magic zone and says <words> before moving back in. If the resultant unit can be held safely by Silica, she'll take it. She will then return to the area with the monk liches.

[pot:6+2]
Uh...hmmm...what would that make...

You get a sword with a somewhat fat blade that has holes all along it's length and vaguely resembles a Thurible. It has two buttons on the handle.

"Ack! Being made of crystal must've made me slightly retarded."

Conduct more circle magic. Scrape A16, B6 on the ground with a crystal finger and put the bloody metal rod in the circle. Watch Jixiu fight the villager. Activate the circle if he doesn't need help, say "Hathic Zerth" if he's getting his but kicked.

He looks like he's doing alright. Or at least he's not seriously injured. Yet. Ah well.

[pot:2]

...Ah well...

(Hey, you said you speak german right? Can you read it?)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4931 on: May 10, 2013, 05:27:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And just because I like ya all, lets say that circle activated this turn eh? Hold on a sec, just let me see what it did...

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: May 10, 2013, 05:34:33 pm »

Oh Boy Oh boy.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: May 10, 2013, 05:35:17 pm »

Oh, that's why my action wasn't in this turn...

Wonder how I missed a turn.

Words.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4934 on: May 10, 2013, 05:40:03 pm »

Continue ring production. Give result to Angle. Follow Angle from a safe distance. If no other cliff is found (see Angle's post) suggest the cliff path right after the "Village Sea Fork" and before the "Overlooking the Sea and the Shipyard" (the place where angle found that broken crate).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 07:44:55 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 435