Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 435

Author Topic: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension  (Read 961863 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension
« Reply #6120 on: June 26, 2013, 03:15:47 pm »

Not gonna lie, if we do this, first character is going to be a full non-magical "I AM THE LAW" kind of character. Society lived before magic, it will live after, brought either by a closed fist or an open palm. If that isn't a group already(I'm pretty sure that basically describes Mage Breakers), well then I got a group to make it seems. Figured I'd shoot that out there for novelty sake.

As for the whole setting, the more and more I hear about it the more interested I become, it seems to have a lot of forward direction and ways it can twist and turn. For the type of gangs, they seem fine to me. Guys who use themselves as a source of energy, guys who use others, guys who use science to do such, and another group who sounds like they reject it.

I'm interested in seeing how the 'magical knowledge is an in character thing' will be done.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: June 26, 2013, 03:31:56 pm »

Yeah, the more it's discussed, the more it seems like Option 3 is the best option.

Also, I think the whole in-character part of magic means that magic is personal and innate by its nature, part of one's being. So it's not exactly a matter of reciting the correct words as much as it is a matter of understanding them in-character, how to use them without exploding your own head.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: June 26, 2013, 03:47:16 pm »

((Starting a new gang would mean going without a magical source which would mean that your stats will suffer, you won't be able to do more than basic magic, your pool will replenish slowly, if at all, and you'll have to use either time consuming research or undertake dangerous missions to expand that knowledge. And you'd also have to hide from the other more powerful people and factions. And you won't have much luck getting NPCs to join you looking weak like that. And magic is rare. And knowledge is akin to a character stat. It takes time to gain it. You can't just read a spell off a book and cast it like that unless it's really simple.))
((Judging from the way piecewise described it, if you know magic you're good and don't need the group to stay in contact with your "source". So your point isn't that...right. Some of it's good, but that is basically saying that small gangs will be at a disadvantage--and not even enough that they don't exist.))

((But all of this is basically us trying to guess what's in piecewise's head.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: June 26, 2013, 08:19:37 pm »

[snip]"I AM THE LAW" [snip]
Now I just want to Judge Dredd everything EVERYTHING. Also option 3 is fast outstripping option 1 (although implementing option 1 in option 3 would be a good idea), secondly what er "induces" the magical power to be generated when a specific action is completed? ie WHY does sacrificing small animals, converting body mass or making arcane machines focus the energy? I ask because I would like to know if/how and under what conditions players could create their own sources and what governs those sources.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: June 26, 2013, 08:22:40 pm »

Now I just want to Judge Dredd everything EVERYTHING.
Entirely what I was going for. Care to join in on that crazy scheme? WE SHALL BRING JUSTICE TO THIS LAWLESS AND DECADENT CITY!

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: June 26, 2013, 08:48:32 pm »

Mage Breakers special bloodskimmer taskforce?

Judge dredd meets highlander?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Saurinae

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: June 26, 2013, 08:49:59 pm »

I do believe that I would try the "Spiritual Vampire"-esque Gang because they seem rather Interesting
Nevermind the disturbingly knowing look that kobold has on her face. That dwarf SHOULD be embarrased!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: June 26, 2013, 08:50:12 pm »

Hm, here's an interesting question...

Can people learn and even combine different forms of magic?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6128 on: June 26, 2013, 08:55:05 pm »

What er "induces" the magical power to be generated when a specific action is completed? ie WHY does sacrificing small animals, converting body mass or making arcane machines focus the energy? I ask because I would like to know if/how and under what conditions players could create their own sources and what governs those sources.
I think that would be the kind of stuff you're meant to research or at least think for yourself, since that knowledge gives you clues to the answer to the underlying question of "What is magic?". And even a clue in that direction, if magic works like I think it works in this setting, can give you much power.
Hm, here's an interesting question...

Can people learn and even combine different forms of magic?
Quite possible. Piecewise has hinted to a more free form magic that doesn't restrict you to make set choices, since he has talked of discovering new systems, which implies the ability to at least change systems. Once again your limit is probably knowledge, knowing how to do it.

Oh, and BE PREPARED TO BE CRUSHED BY OUR MAGICAL ROBOTS HUMAN WEAKLINGS! ONLY WE SHALL RULE THE CITY AND OBTAIN ALL KNOWLEDGE!
(Haven't decided on which gang to join yet, if any, but I though it would be fun to join the taunting.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: June 26, 2013, 09:06:00 pm »

((From the sounds of it, you'd probably need to be an Artificer.))
Sig

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: June 26, 2013, 10:37:41 pm »

Or you could run this and a low player count Perplexicon arena reboot

kidding

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: June 27, 2013, 03:15:25 am »

Now I just want to Judge Dredd everything EVERYTHING.
Entirely what I was going for. Care to join in on that crazy scheme? WE SHALL BRING JUSTICE TO THIS LAWLESS AND DECADENT CITY!
Count me in.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6132 on: June 27, 2013, 03:24:50 am »

Or you could run this and a low player count Perplexicon arena reboot

kidding

Or I could just run Poison. Since that's more complete then the other game. And it's Perpexicon-ish. Perplexicon crossed with Fear and Loathing in las vegas.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: June 27, 2013, 03:40:14 am »

I'll support that if option 1 doesn't work out.

Are we allowed to grind off a bit of an eldritch abomination with a cheese-grater and get high off of it?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: June 27, 2013, 04:26:26 am »

Maybe add the system from Poison as a supplementary form of magic with its own gang to the new system?
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 435