Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 435

Author Topic: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension  (Read 961955 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension
« Reply #6225 on: July 02, 2013, 02:04:01 pm »

*Devours word/rune list*

Wow. The targeting and page 4 lists are weird.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6226 on: July 02, 2013, 02:16:12 pm »

*Devours word/rune list*

Wow. The targeting and page 4 lists are weird.

Yeah, there's lots of similar words in the targeting list, and the 4th page of concepts are sort of odd; though you guys made good use of them with your "Fast, strong, diamond full body" tattoos all the time.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: July 02, 2013, 02:17:56 pm »

Man, I wish we had been so organized as to actually discover them, would have been funny.

I was planning on turning myself into a full blown Large-strong-fast Clockwork-steel dragon when I got to +1 pot and some more pool. I had the word for breath attack and everything.

Also, no, no I can kinda see the differences in the page 3 words. Subtle, but it's there.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:35:17 pm by dermonster »
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: July 02, 2013, 02:45:28 pm »

There are distinctions if you can figure them out, largely involving LoS issues.  And dropping anvils on heads instead of just flinging anvils at them.

PW:  I'd love to see a retrospective of the game, with your impressions of how people discovered the words, learned to use magic, how it differed from what you expected, and how the new world grew.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: July 02, 2013, 02:49:04 pm »

The fuckin' Pool word was Chall-thel? We thought that was 'Large'. How does that differ from Conthal (Actual large)?

Also what does Ralthel 'Many' mean? I would just get like fifty wooden swords if I made those or what?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:50:35 pm by dermonster »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6230 on: July 02, 2013, 02:52:51 pm »

Nice to see we got most of the words right. Still had some work to do on circles...

What I'm insterested is this:
Machine: Beobrathael
How would that work exactly? What difference would it have from the clockwork element? The ability to make machines not made of brass?

And the spells I used for potency and pool were not the ones noted in the document, so I'm guessing piecewise just went with what felt natural as sentences instead of a set of rules.

And the world is pretty fun. Most of the things as I imagined them. Some not. Should have asked the lichmonk for more info... Skycastle... That would be fun to raid...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:57:34 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: July 02, 2013, 02:54:59 pm »

Chall-Thel was a booster word.  I used it a lot in the arena to make bigger bolts of things, as well as to make myself very fast with my arcane fullbody tattoo.  It's not just "big" but it enhances whatever effect it is tied to- for most attack spells, it simply makes them bigger.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: July 02, 2013, 02:56:52 pm »

Oh, so it's 'enhance' as opposed to 'large'.

Hmm. Somewhat confused on the word of Tealtael.

Wheres the god stuff?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:04:38 pm by dermonster »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: July 02, 2013, 03:07:01 pm »

In the new world folder, in overall data.

Anyone curious what any spells I used were?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: July 02, 2013, 03:07:53 pm »

Go for it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: July 02, 2013, 03:14:50 pm »

Pouesterton was the word I used for almost all my attack spells for the targeting vector, except the first couple where I was using Phal- which for a long time I thought targeted the center platform.

Bal-shel was the Fragmentation part of the cluster blackhole, plus Z...however you spell it and Pouesterton.

The Hell Arm was Zentol Worteal Chall-thel Zoth-Hareth, but I did get a warning from PW that Zentol was special and wouldn't work like I thought for this spell.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6236 on: July 02, 2013, 03:41:10 pm »

There are distinctions if you can figure them out, largely involving LoS issues.  And dropping anvils on heads instead of just flinging anvils at them.

PW:  I'd love to see a retrospective of the game, with your impressions of how people discovered the words, learned to use magic, how it differed from what you expected, and how the new world grew.

I'd be glad to write something up. Anything specifically you feel like you want answered?

The fuckin' Pool word was Chall-thel? We thought that was 'Large'. How does that differ from Conthal (Actual large)?

Also what does Ralthel 'Many' mean? I would just get like fifty wooden swords if I made those or what?

Concotael was magic. Giving yourself a tattoo of "Strong Magic" would increase your pool size, for instance. Lets see...

Many would multiply the results of your words. Null used it once to summon up a storm of spears, remember? I would hate to see that combined with a cluster black hole. The world may not have survived.

Nice to see we got most of the words right. Still had some work to do on circles...

What I'm insterested is this:
Machine: Beobrathael
How would that work exactly? What difference would it have from the clockwork element? The ability to make machines not made of brass?

And the spells I used for potency and pool were not the ones noted in the document, so I'm guessing piecewise just went with what felt natural as sentences instead of a set of rules.

And the world is pretty fun. Most of the things as I imagined them. Some not. Should have asked the lichmonk for more info... Skycastle... That would be fun to raid...
The machine word would allow for the automation of things. Null used it to make a cannon by automating the creation of Arcane beams. If you guys had made it deeper into the buildings in the Shipyard you would have found machines creating magical shells for the ship's cannon's.  Or creating components for the Alchemy lab's that one of the sealers had running under the shipyard. Though that map is only half completed...

And yeah, there are no hard rules for what the combinations make. The system was set up to sort of make sentences, Strong fire sword, fire left stone block. Thats why I doubt you could automate the game since a lot of the GM'ing involves interpreting the spells.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: July 02, 2013, 03:42:52 pm »

Piecewise, I salute you for keeping this going so long, with so many players. There was nothing dissapointing about this game.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: July 02, 2013, 03:54:40 pm »

I'd be glad to write something up. Anything specifically you feel like you want answered?

Nothing specific; just your perspective as mod.

So that's how he made that turret.

How would I have made a sentient weapon?  I tried it with a mace at the very end of the Arena but clearly screwed something up.  Also, what would you have done if the attempted Catstaff had been pulled off?  And a vacuum cat?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: July 02, 2013, 03:57:01 pm »

Am I missing something? I can't find the word- or rune-lists.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 435