Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 435

Author Topic: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension  (Read 962157 times)

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension
« Reply #6255 on: July 02, 2013, 08:09:46 pm »

I always knew the system had more possibilities to it than I had discovered, but this is something else. Thanks for running it piecewise.
A question: How much did intent matter for determining spell effects? I noticed a few times it seemed to help, but I also changed the word order so I'm not sure.

Edit: I also noticed the description of the protection circles. I wonder what would have happened if someone tried to enter one with a blood rune?
Edit 2: Something I was meaning to find out in game: What happens when only part of an item is in a circle? Say, putting the blade of a sword in a conversion circle.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 11:57:10 pm by Nahere »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: July 02, 2013, 08:43:11 pm »

A few words specifically mentioned "what the caster is thinking of."  For the most part, though, I believe intent mattered little.

So how DO you make a booze plant?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: July 02, 2013, 08:44:13 pm »

I think you'd do like (Plant contain booze).
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: July 02, 2013, 09:15:51 pm »

More questions for PW:
What are the mechanical effects of a mageblood transfusion?
Will you continue to develop the world for us?  Flesh out the lore, make combat stats for the wizards, ect.  I could do it myself, but you seem better at it.
How do the communication circles work?  I get the channels, but do they just transport voice when someone is standing in them?  If there's a bunch set to the same channel, and someone talks in one, does the voice come out in every circle?
Gods would change what they want you to do once you leveled up with them, (Sha-calun the everflame would want you to just use fire to get the first level, then he wants you to actually kill things with fire) but it doesn't say anything about that in the gods file.

I think you'd do like (Plant contain booze).
Quielshar Uristrast Hobitaeod Shubha, then will a boozeplant to grow  :P

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: July 02, 2013, 09:22:42 pm »

I just realized now that with the released words and runes list, we can have a private speaking and writing system for our communal gang if we wind up doing that. Nice.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: July 02, 2013, 09:35:02 pm »

Shall we hash out grammar?

Let's start by deciding on pronouns and articles.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: July 02, 2013, 09:42:21 pm »

Rabelthal or Shaazeshelial should be 'me' or 'I', I think. Or Rabelthal could be 'me' and Shaazeshelial could be used in terms of 'things affecting me,' given its usage.

I think Dorbaedal should be informal 'you', like used in terms of a friend or ally, while Conshael could be used for a formal 'you', like an average joe on the street.

I think having Ralthel as a modifier for Dorbaedal and Conshael to signify 'they' or 'them' could work, unless better words are found.

Reason I chose those were because of the effect, things like the 'fire at' versions could be used in anger, while the 'appear' versions can be... Something. Ralthel Rabelthal could be 'we' maybe, although a bit silly and probably a better combo.

EDIT: Rethinking, I think the appear should be the general usage ones, while the effect could be 'go do something to him,' or 'get him to do something' while the appear would make more sense in selection in a 'hey you' kind of way thinking on it now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: July 02, 2013, 09:52:25 pm »

Some words will need to be made by portmanteau, unless we want to make new words out of whole cloth, so "we" could be "ralthal".

And we need to start preparing an English-to-Perplexish and vise versa dictionary...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: July 02, 2013, 10:00:08 pm »

So umm... anyone feel like copying the perplexicon.odt into a word or text document for those of us without open office?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: July 02, 2013, 10:01:50 pm »

What we need is a way to reuse these words and these runes without someone reverse-googling their way to full encyclopedic knowledge.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: July 02, 2013, 10:05:52 pm »

So umm... anyone feel like copying the perplexicon.odt into a word or text document for those of us without open office?
http://pastebin.com/tjdtYeKq

Yo.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: July 02, 2013, 10:15:27 pm »

Cheers
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: July 02, 2013, 10:44:39 pm »

What we need is a way to reuse these words and these runes without someone reverse-googling their way to full encyclopedic knowledge.

I'm currently reassigning all the meanings and words for my game.  It'll probably confuse the heck out of me since I've accidentally memorized many words, especially if we do use it as a language.

Speaking of, I have thought's on grammar, but I'll hold off till tomorrow.  Too tired right now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: July 02, 2013, 10:45:51 pm »

The biggest one is determining a protocol for absent words.

Although mundane things like plurals and verb tenses are important, too. And verbs.
Sig

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: July 02, 2013, 10:46:16 pm »

How are you going to do runes when we all know what each image represents?

Also how the hell did we get from blowing eachother up with a language nobody knows to blowing said language into a full communication system in a peaceful tea sipping manner?
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 435