Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 60

Author Topic: Prophets of the New God: most unfortunately dropped.  (Read 69932 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 4 - Good Socialization
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2013, 02:45:12 pm »

Are Miracles always successful, or do you roll for them?

The casting itself is always successful, but some have further rolls associated with them. For instance, Extremely Painful and Debilitating or Potentially Fatal God's Wrath victims get a roll on how severe the effects on them are. But generally what you want to happen will happen with miracles.

((Is evoking fear possible? Or would that go under something else?))

I suppose it would make sense, so it is now. Evoking fear has an Additional Cost of 2 points.

"If you would take the time to answer your question, overlooking the fact that I have nothing of value. Would you?"
I'm just asking them questions for now, so this should count.
I hope. 

It counts, but could you rephrase the question? It's difficult to tell what you mean.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2013, 02:55:44 pm »

Essentially, 'Would you answer some questions?'
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2013, 03:18:46 pm »

"If you would take the time to answer your question, overlooking the fact that I have nothing of value. Would you?"

The young man turns to Gronok briefly.

"Shut it!"

He then turns back. How rude of him.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2013, 03:24:20 pm »

"I'm old; I can talk at you however much I want, laddie!
Now, how many victims do you get per month, approximately?"
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2013, 03:26:54 pm »

"I'm old; I can talk at you however much I want, laddie!
Now, how many victims do you get per month, approximately?"

[Young man patience roll: 1-->5]

"That's it. Stabbing time!"

He begins to advance menacingly upon Gronok!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:44:50 pm by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2013, 03:35:50 pm »

Gronok, using his awesome charisma, somehow talks the guy into giving him the knife and sitting back down.
"No, no, no, son! You're handling the knife all wrong! You're going to cut yourself - give it here and I'll show you how to hold a knife!"
If his smooth-talking fails, Gronok will swiftly get up and slap the man across the face, praying for Mo'kar to teach him the folly of his ways! By opening wounds on his face! Essentially, lowest-level Harm, delivered through touch. If the smooth talking fails.
Sig! Onol

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2013, 09:43:55 pm »

Elizas takes another sip. "Have you ever thought, fellow working man, that alcohol is so pure and good, that it must have a higher value than just a drink. Like a spiritual connection, with God himself?

Begin the converting process on the wagon driver.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2013, 09:10:00 pm »

((GM, what would a curse do?))
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2013, 11:44:33 pm »

It's an inversion of a blessing, instead of giving a bonus to rolls, it will give a penalty.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2013, 11:49:10 pm »

It's an inversion of a blessing, instead of giving a bonus to rolls, it will give a penalty.
Ah. And I'm guessing a minor Harm would open wounds? Just checking.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2013, 12:23:54 am »

Yes, working off the same principle.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2013, 12:25:34 am »

Yes, working off the same principle.
Bueno, bueno.
                                           ~
Porque yo habla en malo espanol?
Sig! Onol

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2013, 03:14:56 am »

Shashari scratched her head. One more reason never to go into blasted woods herself, she supposed.

With an irritated sigh, she began heading up to the elevated area. If nothing else maybe it'd have a nice view of the nothingness and trees.

Elevated area.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 5 - The Slap of Destiny
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2013, 03:54:58 pm »

Turn 5 - The Slap of Destiny

Being in a good spot, theologically speaking, Phiali decides to make a move on these cultists and begin building a faithful flock in these dark times.

[Conversion roll: 2+1]

"Followers of Rekinozom! It is indeed true that our gods are quite similar. Your god likes water and my god likes water. Your god loves revelry and my god loves alcohol. Your god supports freedom and my god supports freedom. So why don't we do away with what separates us and just worship the same god?"

"Which god?"

"Why, my god."

"Why would we worship your god? Why don't you worship ours instead?"

"It's simple. My god, unlike yours, is real and has power."

"Are you insinuating that Rekinozom is a false god?"

"Yes. The One True God is far more powerful."

"How, exactly?"

"He can do anything your god can, and he can do it better. I swear it."

"Very well, then. You do realize that you need to back this claim up?"

"Yes, I do."

"I challenge you to defeat the Kezilamites dwelling in the Medokalaam Temple, our former stronghold, and you must do this alone. Then we will consider your claims."

Hm. Maybe this wasn't the best idea.

Seeing that Satjap was perhaps not quite what she expected him to be, Sejena decides to throw caution and tact to the wind and outright threaten the pathetic worm. As she comes to this decision, she feels a peculiar power fill her, almost as though the words she is about to speak are not only hers, but also spoken from some greater, more powerful and inscrutable source.

"The laws of today will not be here for long, Satjap. There is one who comes from the heavens and the sea's froth for a single, fearsome purpose. Aulanna, the Bloody-Red Lady - she will shatter the chains of her followers and paint these lands red with the blood of those who would oppose her. I serve her now, Satjap. She is the one true goddess, and she will bring the reign of the king to an end. Either you will stay and cower within these walls in fear of your father's disapproval and die with the rest, or turn to the Goddess now, and become a legend."

Her grave, judgmental tone could pierce the walls of the house and shatter the wills of many weaker souls, it seems, and Satjap acutely feels the effect of this as he stares wide-eyed at Sejena and shrinks before her. He goes pale as a corpse and begins to back away on the bed of cushions.

[Satjap reaction roll: 5]

Finding no refuge even inside his own bed seems to... break the man somehow, as he rapidly abandons his attempts to distance himself from the woman before him and just opts to kneel before her and begin begging for his life in a most pathetic fashion.

For some reason, she finds this sight immensely pleasing, and she is sure her god does as well.

4 MP expended!
1 MP awarded for impressive display of power!

In immediate danger of receiving multiple stab wounds, Gronok tries a last-ditch strategy to save his own life and possibly others as well. Like most of Gronok's strategies, this one involves making use of distracting tales and misdirection.

[Charisma roll: 4+1]

"No, no, no, son! You're handling the knife all wrong! You're going to cut yourself - give it here and I'll show you how to hold a knife! You can't murder a man like that! That's how a drunken lout would butcher an old sheep! Trust me, I know these things. I was the Master Assassin in the court of King Bekhlam of Vinokiim for over thirty years before retiring!"

The young man lowers his dagger at the statement and looks at Gronok in slight confusion.

"What are you talking about, old man? There's no such place as-"

"You dare doubt my claims? Perhaps I should show you exactly how a Master Assassin would handle this situation."

"Oh, shut up al-"

"Challenge accepted, fool!"

He gets up and emits a low hiss, then begins to wave his arms menacingly and move toward the murderous young man. He clicks his tongue, then closes his eyes and begins to spin on one foot rapidly.

"What in gods' names are you-"

"Silence!"

He spins ever more rapidly!

"Fine, if you want to die as a fool, then-"

The man's mockery is cut short by a mighty slap to the face, a slap that has far more power behind it than any slap from an ancient individual like Gronok has any right to be, and he is sent to the ground immediately, a splash of blood hitting his three comrades. They stand dumbfounded as Gronok comes to a stop and takes a deep breath, possibly to regain his balance. The young man is left screaming and clutching his face on the ground. One of his comrades rushes up to check on him only to find that his entire face is covered in bleeding lacerations, almost as though he had been hit by a particularly nasty empty glass bottle. The person who checked on him, the child, turns to Gronok and poses a very good question.

"How in hell did you do that?"

Gronok merely gives him a knowing smile that successfully obscures the fact that he hardly knows either.

1 MP expended!
Impressive display of power! 1 MP awarded.

Having had a pleasant afternoon drink and a free ride, Elizas decides that now would be a great time for philosophy. Alcohol philosophy, to be exact. His favorite kind.

"Have you ever thought, fellow working man, that alcohol is so pure and good, that it must have a higher value than just a drink. Like a spiritual connection, with God himself?"

[Conversion roll: 5]

"Oh, if only you knew how often. In fact, I just thought this a few moments ago. Azlippus wine has that effect on me, I find."

"You are a wise man. Tell me, what would you say if I told you that there is indeed a lot of truth in that statement and that there is indeed a God, and that He is a god who appreciates the pleasures of fine alcohol?"

The merchant has a dreamy look on his face.

"Oh, I'd worship him. Sounds much better to me than worshipping that Kizlibum or whatever her name was. Their followers are an awfully dreary bunch."

He turns to his guards.

"How about it, lads? Would you worship a god of wine?"

The guards nod and discuss this prospect among themselves. Elizas can hear a hint of enthusiasm among them.

"See? They'd go for it, too. Build a temple for a god of wine and the worshippers will flock like crazy, I tell you. Especially in Berikalam."

Having found fertile soil for his ideas, Elizas continues to extol the virtues of alcohol, the undesirability of restrictive enforced monogamy as well as many other ideas related to his god. After some hours of nonstop discussion, drinking, song and merriment the caravan has become a merry band of worshippers of the New God of Alcohol and Freedom. They happily reach the gates of Berikalam and await their entry. As they do so, still debating on the merits of water in comparison to the divine joy brought by alcohol, they are suddenly disturbed by the sight of a white-robed individual staring at them with obvious disdain.

[Perception roll: ?]

Elizas notices that the man is forming a certain word with his lips while gazing hatefully at them, but is sadly too inept at lip reading to tell what exactly it might be. As they are let in through the large city gate, the merchant looks slightly confused.

"It's awfully quiet in here. Not at all like I remember it. Hm. Well, I suppose we should head to my good friend Patalim's establishment. Wait until you see his selection of fine wines! I'm sure he'll gladly treat a dignified guest such as yourself!"

Faced with two paths, neither of which may prove very rewarding, Shashari chooses to head down the less-traveled one with her ram. There's probably a reason it's there, after all. Maybe a dwelling of some ignorant peasant she could trick into giving her shelter.

[Destination roll: 3]

As she makes her way down the path, doing her best to get someplace safe before nightfall, she eventually comes to a rather shabby-looking hovel sitting at the top of the elevated area. Distasteful though it may be, it might be her only option for shelter.

[Hovel occupant roll: 6-->5]

She hears some beautiful singing coming from the inside. Sounds like a woman, though it's difficult to judge more than that just from the voice.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:59:01 pm by Harry Baldman »

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear no man, and trust no wizard.
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 5 - Slap of Destiny
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2013, 04:40:36 pm »

[Hovel occupant roll: 6-->5]

Idle curiosity, but what exactly does that mean? Is it a five, or a six? What causes it to have the arrow, and what determines the second number?
Greater Collection
Quote from: Steel Resolve
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!
They told me to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 60