Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 106058 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #345 on: March 22, 2013, 02:04:38 pm »

Yeah, retiring a dwarven fortress and then populating it with outcast adventurers of various races sounds like it could result in some interesting impromptu history. All you'd need is to enable those races to be played as outcasts, which can basically be done by adding one little line of code to their entity definition.

I seriously have no idea why elves and dwarves aren't playable as outcasts by default.
I feel like this should be in now, ever since we have sites for all the races (I'm guessing that lack of elven/dwarven sites was the primary reason for them to not have an outcast variation, since playing them basically is like playing as outcasts, to some extent)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 22, 2013, 02:24:03 pm »

I dunno if there's a real reason for it, but to my knowledge you never have been able to play as outcasts of any other races by default. All the way back in 40d. If anything, it's a tradition. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 22, 2013, 03:13:25 pm »

Yeah, retiring a dwarven fortress and then populating it with outcast adventurers of various races sounds like it could result in some interesting impromptu history. All you'd need is to enable those races to be played as outcasts, which can basically be done by adding one little line of code to their entity definition.
We should definitely spawn an extra civ and wipe them out for the purpose testing this. If not on the continent proper, then we could have the colony established on a remote island/valley where they are completely free from outside influence.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 03:23:22 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

The Hadad

• Bay Watcher
  • Lighten up, it was funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 22, 2013, 04:07:33 pm »

Ahoy. Just finished reading through the thread--I'd like to participate as well, if you're still accepting more people.

>Unnecessary detail
>Dwarf Fortress.

Excuse me?
Sig'd
>Unnecessary detail
>Dwarf Fortress.

Excuse me?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 22, 2013, 04:15:31 pm »

We should definitely spawn an extra civ and wipe them out for the purpose testing this. If not on the continent proper, then we could have the colony established on a remote island/valley where they are completely free from outside influence.

Even if it requires (temporarily) giving them [FLIER] tags.
We've already got Bear Grylls, now it's time for The Colony!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 22, 2013, 04:44:40 pm »

Or the Swimming skill and a lot of patience...
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 22, 2013, 04:53:23 pm »

Or the Swimming skill and a lot of patience...

Whatever floats your boat. (which is ironic since we don't have boats in DF yet)
You can train in my Legendary World and try swimming here.

Small fraction, not a full representation of the world.

The closest civ is like a week of flying in the mountains, and beelines aren't possible (unless DFhack)...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 22, 2013, 08:24:31 pm »

On the test world, I say. There's no need to define a whole new race in the raws, just go with an already spawned vanilla one. Remember, each race has several civs.

Outsiders can be enabled post-gen
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 22, 2013, 09:41:28 pm »

^ Who said anything about new races? Subterranean animal people are already (sort-of) playable in the game. ???
(and it doesn't matter when outsiders are enabled, not that there's any point in doing that prior to worldgen)

I forgot to claim a turn, so sign me up mates. In the meantime, I thought I'd share some of my fortress ideas, since it's extremely unlikely that I'll get to do them all (unless I were to combine all of them into one fortress, that is :D ).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:23:01 pm by Spish »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 22, 2013, 11:03:46 pm »

Turning your entire fortress into vampires and driving them utterly mad is easier than growing plump helmets, and goes hand-in-hand with the "counts mansion" idea! :D

Also, I made some designs reminiscent of your "The Breach" idea in 40d. Basically I just made a massive square pit open to the surface and extending very deep into the ground.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 23, 2013, 01:46:08 am »

And bear in mind, we can just retire a fort with hundreds of vampires or whatever. Fun!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 23, 2013, 03:51:32 am »

I totally want to do that in my docks now, make a giant underground dungeon under it. :D
Edit: Think I have an idea for a community fortress. Huzzah!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:57:16 am by SilverDragon »
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 23, 2013, 12:08:07 pm »

^ Glad I could be of inspiration :D
Turning your entire fortress into vampires and driving them utterly mad is easier than growing plump helmets, and goes hand-in-hand with the "counts mansion" idea! :D
I never thought of assigning a whole bunch of war puppies to a specific person and killing them to force insanity, that's a good idea.
...I don't know how I inferred that from your post, but it happened. :o

A few more fortress concepts:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:46:25 pm by Spish »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 23, 2013, 01:51:46 pm »

Hate that bloody fog. Needs reworked if you ask me. Good thing one of the new features in the next version is blood-vision; vampires will be able to detect warm bodies nearby.
I make Spellcrafts!

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 23, 2013, 03:21:06 pm »

Did somebody say 'FINAL BOSS'?
How about this: Somebody creates an adventurer and gives him a distinctive feature in form of unusual clothing or an awesome weapon. The creator of that adventurer won't tell anybody how the adventurer looks like, what skills he has, what race he is or what his actual name is. Instead, everyone refers to him as 'The Crimson Knight', because he wears a red cape or something like that.

Too make it short:
1) The Crimson Knight gets his own lair or castle, where he retires and waits for challengers to appear.
2) The challengers don't tell anybody anything about their adventurers. Like the it happened to be with the original knight, race, appearence etc. remain secret.
3) What happens in the lair stays in the lair. We don't tell each other if we defeated the knight or if we failed trying. We are only allowed to hint that we are attempting it, the outcome remains secret.
4) If the challengers adventurer succeeds he assumes the identity of the Crimson Knight by taking his clothes and equipment, nicknaming himself 'The Crimson Knight' and retiring.
5) When the challenger enters the lair he's not allowed to examine eventual corpes to find out how many knights were defeated.

No one knows who the Crimson Knight is. You don't know what you should expect. It could be a vampire, an elf or some guy dual-wielding adamantite socks.
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 74