Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 188

Author Topic: (Un)Holy Powers(OOC)  (Read 180639 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: (Un)Holy Powers(OOC)
« Reply #1635 on: January 17, 2013, 09:54:59 pm »

A few notes.

One, upkeep will be doubled from now on, and fae will have a very small amount of upkeep.

Two, I will be cracking down on you doing thing you don't contain within your domains. Such as making machines explode. As well, costs will probably increase.

Three, gods and devils will lose some power in relation to mortals. No more INSTA KILL EVERYTHING.

And four, domain and concepts, thus, what you have power over, is in relation to what you do and even consider. For example, Draco, you are in danger of losing Morals as a domain. Killing people because they don't worship you...think about that for a second. Not in game terms, just think about how that's actually happened in real life. I will also be restricting more of the things individual domains can do.

This is not to harm you, but to make things easier for me to make each of you cause each other harm, and so that I can both gauge power more easily(being creative is rewarded, as is persistence. Not knowing when to quit, and brute force, less so.), and make things a bit more of a challenge for you guys.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Inithis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Riftborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: January 17, 2013, 09:58:56 pm »

Crap. I need to get more worshipers before I starve.

Javier, you're gonna need to turn back the disease; we need to get more mortals.
He immediately begins to beavergoat the man quite thoroughly! At the very beginning, the man is mystified by James' actions, but his face quickly becomes a mask of horror when the procedure starts!

"OH GODS WHY? WHYYY?"

After a twenty minute session, the man is left white as a sheet, hairless and completely and utterly dead. James congratulates himself on a job well done!

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: January 17, 2013, 09:59:20 pm »

In Draco's defense, he wasn't going to kill the mortals, I was.  He just asked if he could remove his worshipers before I went in to kill them.

Also what happens when a Fae runs out of energy?
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: January 17, 2013, 10:01:45 pm »

If we run out of power, we just can't use magic(also our court may try to rebel).

EDIT- Realization about sun color. unless we make the sun emit exactly the same wavelengths as before, then plants that evolved under the first sun will have a much lower harvest.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:08:37 pm by racnor »
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: January 17, 2013, 10:07:18 pm »

Alright thanks.  I guess that in game terms, the new rules basically just mean we can't use as much magic (for us Fae anyway).

Edit: Actually, I'm admittedly a bit surprised that he made Fae a little less capable when we were already the weakest.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:10:24 pm by gman8181 »
Sure thing peanut man!

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: January 17, 2013, 10:10:58 pm »

Uh...he's giving Fae lower upkeep.

And giving us higher upkeep.

Ze Gods and Devils, we are getting nerfed.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:12:46 pm by Vgray »

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: January 17, 2013, 10:11:48 pm »

He's depowering everyone.
EDIT- and since he's now enforcing the domain limit rules, we definently arn't getting the short end of this stick.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: January 17, 2013, 10:15:51 pm »

Do I have power over everything in the ground? Or just gems and precious metals? And how do crops relate to my domain? Hmm...

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: January 17, 2013, 10:16:45 pm »

Yeah actually I misread that a bit, probably because I'm tired.  Still, I don't think we had any upkeep before.  Not an issue really, it just surprised me at first because I wasn't really taking in the whole thing.
Sure thing peanut man!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: January 17, 2013, 10:22:23 pm »

In the ground? No. The ground itself, meaning stone, metal, dirt, and anything else similar that is unworked save stuff of value? Yes.

Fae didn't have upkeep. You can still do quite a bit, especially with your versatility and relatability to mortals. It's a random amount of upkeep, by the way.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: January 17, 2013, 10:28:24 pm »

But, but..... I could barely handle the upkeep before.........

I had to kill many people just to pay for it, now I have to pay more :(
The devils were the hardest hit by upkeep...... Gods felt it less though...

Whatever you is da GM, gonna have to get more followers

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: January 17, 2013, 10:28:54 pm »

How can I be so oblivious?

Golems! I am a Devil of Earth after all. It should be cake to create a bunch of mindless mud men.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: January 17, 2013, 10:51:41 pm »

I leave for a couple hours, and pages have been added. A surprising percentage were about the Celestial Congress. I wish I had set this up before the War; think of the lives I could have saved! That's what I get for sloth...

"Draco," came the voice of Azaroth. "Your ideas are laudable, surely. But I need clarification of a few matters first. Primarily, what can a 'Power' be condemned for? Secondly, if a mortal sworn to my service breaks my law, am I required to appeal to the council before suitable punishment is enacted?"
"Firstly, that is as of yet indeterminate; I suppose that once we get more members we'll need to work that out. For now, let's say actions which threaten the safety or stability of people or the world...and the accuser needs to convince 2/3 of the Celestial Congress. This is intended to prevent abuse; if you can't convince 2/3 of the Congress to condemn someone, he may not be worth convicting. I intend to suggest specific crimes once the Congress is stable.
"Secondly...curses, I wish I had thought of that. I would add that law, but by the Third Law, I would need the approval of 2/3 of the Celestial Congress to do so. I will shortly put forth an official motion to do so."

Useal responds."While I consider the Idea to be admirable, I am worried by the fine print. the addition of mortals would cripple my ability to govern Avalon. I would have to seek approval for the least of fines. I hereby suggest that every power be given the right to levy punishment  on those who follow them, and to control their mortal followers outside the bonds of the congress. this would allow more leeway while preserving the essential idea behind the congress. A loose pact with many participants is better than a strong one with three.
Also, the greater emphasis on mortal pawns may appeal to a certain go of chaos".

"I am sorry to hear that and eagerly await a vote on these issues. Incidentally, do you wish to join the Celestial Congress so you may vote?"

My creations appear to be very moral creatures. It's a wonder they don't worship you. Would you like to help manage the laws of my new city? Admittedly it consists of only one factory constructed by my Fae friend...at the moment.
"Certainly."

What about the current conflict between me and the god of war? Would I be allowed to call for a vote to condemn him?
"Oh, of course! That's the point of condemnation!
"I'd also like to note that the Laws currently have no provision against conflicts outside the Celestial Congress. If you wish, you may prosecute people outside of those condemned by the Congress; alternatively, you may formally address the concerns to the Congress to gain its support."

I would accept this pact, as long as there are limitations on condemnation. There needs to be a proper cause for punishment, lest we destroy those we simply dislike.
"Ideally, requiring 2/3 of the Congress to approve of condemnation would work until we can set up more effective rules. I would, however, like to mention that if anyone sees a way in which the rules can be improved, please mention it so we can vote on it. The Three Laws are rough guidelines intended to shape the way; I may be the God of Justice, but I didn't want to start off with 100 Laws for any and every purpose without input from my fellow Powers."

Oh, and the name could possibly be improved.
"I certainly agree. Any suggestions?"

You are correct, the name is quite discriminatory. How about "The Synod"?
"That would be fine with me if it is fine with...whatever we're calling ourselves. Celestial Congress just had a nice ring to it while seeming to signal that it was a title in progress."

Draco (GWG) to be honest your wording seemed a little vague to me although I do agree with your overall idea. I'm a little hesitant only because I don't like the idea of being told what I can and can't do with mortals.  It's easy enough for a god to be all nice and friendly with them when your power is dependent on their worship but some of us get our power through other means (such as sacrifice) and thus would be put at a disadvantage by these rules.  I'd also like a bit more detail about how the punishment works.  I also agree about limitations to punishments among ourselves.
1. The idea was to prevent undue prosecution of mortals. It made sense to have the initial Laws place all beings on the same principles, and then to modify them later.
2. The "punishment" would work something like this:
--Power A kills a bunch of people in Power B's territory.
--Power C, a member of the CC/Synod/whatever (possibly the same as B) brings the issue up to the whatever.
--The Congress gets a 2/3 majority to condemn him.
--Power D (possibly the same as B or C) proposes a punishment.
--The whatever gets a majority to agree with the punishment.
--The punishment is carried out.
Clunky? Yes. Meant to be improved? Hells yes.
Thanks for asking for clarification.

Y'know you guys may see my diseases as bad, but I was merely doing some really good population control....
As the populations rise, and tech gets better, we must all pay upkeep
By limiting population and technological prowess, I have kind of helped you all get a little better without ridiculous upkeep
But right now, I feel as if I should either perform more "population control" or let the populations grow so we can get more worshippers......
Where was it suggested that rising tech leads to more upkeep?  ???

I'm still baffled the god of morality has no problem with killing Atheists...that makes me more moral than him.
I'll repeat the idea that you should offer them a chance to align themselves with one of the Powers.
I actually echoed that sentiment earlier. Give them a chance to convert, I said. Only kill the guilty, I said.

And I'd rather Jbyg not have the power to abuse his Dwarves thank you very much...
Quite agreed. The curse was one of the things that finally pushed me over the edge to making the Congress/Synod/whatever.

I'm not saying we give them a say.
I'm saying we protect them. Otherwise Jbyg commits mass Genocide of Atheist and Azemist Dwarves.
Agreed. Adding that to the resolutions we're voting on.

I dont just cause death, I caused MOST OF IT, and will be causing most of it for a long time, if not for me, the pop would be at 300 or so, with steel age tech....

That's a lot of upkeep......
Why is the higher tech more upkeep? And how do you not see the connection between more people and more power?

And four, domain and concepts, thus, what you have power over, is in relation to what you do and even consider. For example, Draco, you are in danger of losing Morals as a domain. Killing people because they don't worship you...think about that for a second. Not in game terms, just think about how that's actually happened in real life. I will also be restricting more of the things individual domains can do.
Heck, YHWH did just that. He didn't even complain when a prophet sent bears to attack some kids who made fun of his head! And let's see what happens if you claim he's not the Big Good...
Incidentally, would I also be in "danger" of getting Vengeance as a domain? Since I'm getting a Synod or Congress or whatever set up, would I possibly get domains (or partway towards domains) for that?

This is not to harm you, but to make things easier for me to make each of you cause each other harm, and so that I can both gauge power more easily(being creative is rewarded, as is persistence. Not knowing when to quit, and brute force, less so.), and make things a bit more of a challenge for you guys.
I see...Okay then.

In Draco's defense, he wasn't going to kill the mortals, I was.  He just asked if he could remove his worshipers before I went in to kill them.
I also asked that you give them a chance to convert and only killed the ones who refused to believe in any Powers, but that seems to be being ignored...

Uh...he's giving Fae lower upkeep.

And giving us higher upkeep.

Ze Gods and Devils, we are getting nerfed.
Everyone's getting nerfed.

Anyways...
Here's some issues we're voting on.
A. The Name of this Organization
It has been suggested that we rename our organization to The Synod. Since the name of "The Celestial Congress" was chosen arbitrarily by me, I will only request a simple majority on this proposal.
B. A Proposal to Forbid Prosecution for Punishing One's Own Servants
While an appropriate appeal to our organization is not required for a god to punish someone, it has been suggested that we add a new Law--Law 4: No being may be prosecuted for punishing said being's own servants for infractions of the being's laws or orders. This allows this Law to apply not only to all Power, but also to mortal lords. This requires a 2/3 Majority to pass.
C. A Proposal to Condemn Jebyg
Vgray has suggested that we condemn Jebyg for actions including but not limited to his cursing of the dwarves. This requires a 2/3 Majority to pass.

If you want to join, please state so clearly.

Penultimately, I'd like to explain how voting works. It's simple: If you have joined or are joining, simply vote "Aye" or "Nay" on each proposal (or state that you're abstaining). That's why I assigned each Proposal a snappy 1-letter code. You can simply put "Aye A, Nay B, Aye C" or "Aye All" or something if you like.

Finally: If you have any questions, ASK.

Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: January 17, 2013, 11:05:11 pm »

Wait, Rolepgeek. I can't infuse chaos into the rebellious dwarves fortresses? That's the reason their stuff explodes.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: January 17, 2013, 11:10:41 pm »

A- Aye

B- Aye

C- Aye

Though now I'm sure Jbyg will make ridiculous laws so we can't prosecute him.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:19:05 pm by Vgray »
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 188