Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 154216 times)

GreatWyrmGold

  • Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #255 on: November 18, 2012, 07:48:48 pm »

Screw the pretty girl!
No, her father's a powerful mage and our only ally! Don't you dare!
KILL EVERYTHING AND BURN IT TO THE GROUND!
What is wrong with you?
Logged
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Grek

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #256 on: November 18, 2012, 08:02:40 pm »

Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Logged

Weirdsound

  • Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #257 on: November 18, 2012, 08:03:13 pm »

Each time I come here to post another update, the debate just keeps getting better and better and I decide to just let it play out a bit longer.

And all I'm going to say is reproduction without conversion is not possible.
Logged

racnor

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #258 on: November 18, 2012, 08:07:01 pm »

Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
aaaaaaand sigged
Logged
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

GreatWyrmGold

  • Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #259 on: November 18, 2012, 08:12:23 pm »

Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
...
Two of those are probably impossible and DEFINITELY bad ideas, the last is the worst suggestion that we are physically capable of doing.

Please tell me you're joking...
Logged
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nicholas1024

  • Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #260 on: November 18, 2012, 08:27:38 pm »

Seriously, I think some people just want this game to get as FUN as possible as quickly as possible.

I stand by my previous suggestion of sending Alice back to the tower with the cubs and hunting on our own.
Logged

GreatWyrmGold

  • Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #261 on: November 18, 2012, 08:53:16 pm »

First, remind her of the reasons NOT to transform her into a night troll.
Logged
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

  • Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #262 on: November 18, 2012, 09:28:04 pm »

Okay. I got a TTRPG going tonight, but after that I'll try to update this.
Logged

Ukrainian Ranger

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #263 on: November 19, 2012, 04:39:30 am »

Quote
And all I'm going to say is reproduction without conversion is not possible.
Oh, well. I hoped for another situation :) So no sex for a while, unless we want to run away
______________________________________

I support sending Alice back to the tower with cubs and continue hunting alone, but that can wait till the next update. first chat a bit with the girl and explain her few things:

a) That we like her like she is. And would be like to have her as a friend and an ally (and I mean feel this, don't lie)
b) That you are attracted to her beauty and sure that she would be a great mate, but:
c) That even if that happens we can't be loyal, because we must convert and impregnate as many females as you can
d) That we have concerns that Foghorn can ban any contacts between us if he will think that we both want conversion
e) Repeat that we find her beautiful and while you sure that she'll be a very alluring night troll, we aren't sure that we want to destroy the beauty that exists.
f) DO NOT tell her "it's a big step, think better, you can't change back, we know each other 2 days" and another bullshit like that (translation to teens' language - you are stupid kid and can't make decisions on your own)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:01:58 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
Logged
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

  • Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #264 on: November 19, 2012, 07:37:50 am »

first chat a bit with the girl and explain her few things:

a) That we like her like she is. And would be like to have her as a friend and an ally (and I mean feel this, don't lie)
b) That you are attracted to her beauty and sure that she would be a great mate, but:
c) That even if that happens we can't be loyal, because we must convert and impregnate as many females as you can
d) That we have concerns that Foghorn can ban any contacts between us if he will think that we both want conversion
e) Repeat that we find her beautiful and while you sure that she'll be a very alluring night troll, we aren't sure that we want to destroy the beauty that exists.
f) DO NOT tell her "it's a big step, think better, you can't change back, we know each other 2 days" and another bullshit like that (translation to teens' language - you are stupid kid and can't make decisions on your own)
Agreed. Sounds good.
Logged
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

  • Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #265 on: November 19, 2012, 02:35:55 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote
And all I'm going to say is reproduction without conversion is not possible.
Oh, well. I hoped for another situation :) So no sex for a while, unless we want to run away
______________________________________

I support sending Alice back to the tower with cubs and continue hunting alone, but that can wait till the next update. first chat a bit with the girl and explain her few things:

a) That we like her like she is. And would be like to have her as a friend and an ally (and I mean feel this, don't lie)
b) That you are attracted to her beauty and sure that she would be a great mate, but:
c) That even if that happens we can't be loyal, because we must convert and impregnate as many females as you can
d) That we have concerns that Foghorn can ban any contacts between us if he will think that we both want conversion
e) Repeat that we find her beautiful and while you sure that she'll be a very alluring night troll, we aren't sure that we want to destroy the beauty that exists.
f) DO NOT tell her "it's a big step, think better, you can't change back, we know each other 2 days" and another bullshit like that (translation to teens' language - you are stupid kid and can't make decisions on your own)

You open your mouth and begin a beautiful rejection speech in Elven, touching on themes such as beauty (hers), loyalty (your practical inability to possess it), and her father (likely able to kill either of you). 1d20 = 15 + 1(Skill) = 16

Alice nods and offers a short round of applause. "Why sir beast, you are a poet, and I am flattered that you go to such lengths to avoid breaking my heart. My offer however was not romantic proposition, it was a simple statement of fact. You saved me from death, so I don't have any right to stop you from inflicting upon me any fate that is not quite as bad. I would prefer to remain as I am, and I was merely observing that I no longer have any say in the matter. Your romantic rejection brings my heart much relief. I look forward to maintaining our friendship until death severs it."

The girl blushes as she notices that she has soiled herself before speaking again; this time in her native tongue. "And... allow me to offer just a bit of practical advice seeing as you must be new to dealing with humans. When a woman keeps her hair and clothes as man would, as I do, there is a fair chance that she prefers to keep female company. You don't have to worry about me taking any sort of initiative toward you."

You stare into space for a few seconds, a bit taken aback, before speaking again in human. "Right then. Take the bears back to the tower and tidy yourself up. I am famished, so I will remain in the woods and do some more hunting."

Alice nods, and briefly communicates with the bears before leading them off. You then turn and wander deeper into the woods.

...

Some time later you come across a party of three elves and 5 wolves. Two are dressed as guards, lightly armored yet heavily armed. The third wears mage's robes. They are talking. You note their use of elven is much less poetic than your own.

"Don't worry about it Sir Vindel. There is no way that dog Lipiz could have survived the trap. There is a blood trail leading away from your rune. He has to be dead."

"We found no body, and you saw his wolf. That thing was cursed... Something else likely got him, but we don't know for sure. We can't afford him showing back up in town and implicating us for attempted murder, so until night falls, or we find a body, WE SEARCH THIS GODAMN FOREST!"

Both the guards give a defeated look and mutter under their breaths while you take inventory of the situation.

You don't have alot of combat experience so you are not sure what your odds would be if you chose to attack. You know Vindel wont put up much of a fight himself, but you wouldn't want to be caught by a guard's weapon or a wolf's teeth. A hit and run attack on Vindel might be possible; seeing as they might not want to answer questions about why they were out in the woods, the guards might not even report it. You could also stalk them for awhile, but that would be a bit dangerous; your camouflage and stealth are no match for a canine nose, and one of the elves could even spot you if they get lucky.

"Hmm... how to go about this..."

Encounter Roll: 1d20 = 13 - 3(You have no skill to use for navigation or hunting) = 10
Logged

Ukrainian Ranger

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #266 on: November 19, 2012, 04:54:37 pm »

Hmmmm,
I have a plan
 
Leap, catch Vindel, send us both in a future for several hours

But I am not sure about it myself, because many things can go wrong
Logged
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mlamlah

  • Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #267 on: November 19, 2012, 05:05:00 pm »

I'm not sure i agree with a full out attack, but maybe we can screw with them a bit, make them fear the night (or the forest). I'm open to the  idea of an indirect attack on the mage too.
We could attack their minds with dark manipulation to mess them up for anything else we might try.
Also, while i don't necessarily think it's a good idea, if there was ever a time to set the forest on fire, it's now.
We could set some kind of trap for them.
Or! I have an idea, if we really want to attack boldly. We could draw an eon manipulation circle around them. It would not effect the space inside of the circle, but anything that touched it's outer edges would be stopped or slowed, and vulnerable to attack at our leisure. Wolves and soldiers need to get to us to harm us, and Vindel is reportedly skilled mostly in magic that remain stationary. We can also draw the circle and leave, to maintain a safe getaway.
Logged

racnor

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #268 on: November 19, 2012, 05:13:22 pm »

we can only us dark manipulation in low-light conditions, so it won't work here. I suggest throwing vindel forward in time, running and coming back for him later. If the guards follow us, try setting a swarm of bugs on them.
Logged
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Weirdsound

  • Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #269 on: November 19, 2012, 06:26:02 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmmmm,
I have a plan
 
Leap, catch Vindel, send us both in a future for several hours

But I am not sure about it myself, because many things can go wrong

You start focusing a time Displacement spell on yourself before kneeling down and springing at Vindel. The elves turn to look at you and you slam into your target, wrapping your arms around him as the two of you fall to the ground. The guards move in to assist their master, but suddenly everybody except Vindel and yourself vanishes in a green flash. 1d20 = 11 + 4(Skill) + 1(Perk) + 1(Tattoo) - 3(Trying to cast while multitasking) = 14

You briefly check the sun over your shoulder, you seem to have jumped 3 or four hours. Unfortunately Vindel takes advantage of your brief distraction and begins to struggle against your grip! The Elf manages to free his arm and produce a dagger from his robes, which he jams into your chest!

Luckily Night Troll's don't feel pain, and better still he seems to have missed any major organs, but something is wrong. You knock the dagger away but your movement begin to slow down and your body begins to feel numb. You catch a glance of the dagger, and notice that it is covered in enchanting runes! Within 30 seconds you find yourself completely paralyzed.

His Roll: 1d20 = 20 - 3(Untrained Skill) = 17 (NAT 20!)
Your Roll: 1d20 = 4 - 3(Untrained Skill) = 1 (Ouch!)

Vindel cuts a piece off his cloak, which he wraps around your eyes to blind you. Time passes and your hunger grows. You hear voices at time to time, and suspect that you are being moved.

---

Eventually you get some feeling back and note you seem to be on some sort of cold stone floor. You feel somebodies breath on your face, and your body being scanned by somebody with Night Creature Empathy.

"Holy shit. This is a Night Troll Vindel! A mature night troll! Those should be extinct! My own grandfather was one of the sages who helped purge them from the earth. You should kill it quickly, it is beginning to regain muscle control."

You hear Vindel chuckle. "I don't think that will be unnecessary Hamar. Remove your blindfold and rise Mr. Troll."

Without so much of a thought you climb to your feet and rip the cloth from your face. You are in a basement of some sort. Roots extend from the ceiling and down the walls, so you must be under some sort of great tree. You are face to face with another elf mage, and Vindel stands not to far behind him. Your clothes and stuff are in the corner.

Vindel smirks and begins to walk toward you. "Allow me to offer a proper introduction. My name is Vindel. As you might have guessed by now I am a mighty enchanter. You are familiar with my dagger, no?"

Without breaking his stride or changing his tone the elf draws said dagger and jams it into the back of the other mage, who falls to the floor immobile. "Impressive, no? Allow me to draw your attention to another one of my creations; the bracelet I have placed on your wrist. It is a bracelet of binding, cursed to prevent removal. As long as you wear it you will obey my commands and not harm myself or my belongings."

"Oh. Wonderful."

Your new master nods, unaware or willfully ignorant of your sarcasm. "I know, isn't it? Anyway, as my first order to you, I command you to eat that fool Hamar who lies before you alive. I'd rather him not go about telling the whole forest about our new professional relationship."

You start feasting. You probably would have even if you had the choice. You do you best to eat the non essential bits first, keeping him alive and enjoying his fear for as long as possible. Eventually you reduce him to little more than a skeleton and Vindel hands you a large cloth, instructing you to wipe the blood from yourself.

As you clean up Vindel stands next to you, beaming with some sort of sick pride. "You come across as rather formidable. I think I will treat you well just in case you ever escape and turn the tables. So tell me, what talents do you have to offer me? I did notice that Eon Manipulation trick. Rather impressive."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:42:16 pm by Weirdsound »
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 143