Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "cloud storage"  (Read 1318 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
"cloud storage"
« on: January 25, 2013, 04:11:15 pm »

"cloud storage"

This is a concept I don't get. Do any of you? Any guides on how to do it?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: "cloud storage"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:14:11 pm »

You basically just pay a company to hold your files on a server that they let you access from wherever you are. Dropbox is a popular one.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:00:43 am »

Cloud storage is basically a large continental network of servers that takes bits and pieces of data and share them across each other that in case one server goes down another one can take its place with the same data. You pay for access to this.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 01:40:51 am »

Imagine the Internet as a flash drive attachment. Then take it one step further and integrate it into an application.

That, is cloud storage.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 08:31:04 am »

Cloud storage is basically a large continental network of servers that takes bits and pieces of data and share them across each other that in case one server goes down another one can take its place with the same data.
This right here. Without the redundancy, it would just be regular remote storage.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 02:30:59 pm »

Cloud Storage.
It's like...
A virtual memory unit.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 03:51:20 pm »

Its main benefit is that is sounds cool.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 03:56:15 pm »

And that it lets you access any file from anywhere that has an internet connection :P

My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 06:09:32 pm »

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 11:19:52 pm »

And that it lets you access any file from anywhere that has an internet connection :P

That isn't really unique to cloud storage. For example, I can make the same claim if I email something to myself using webmail. The primary implications of cloud storage are that it is theoretically less secure, and it is theoretically more stable. For example, if you email something to your hotmail account, if hotmail goes down you can't access your data. If somebody blows up the building that has the server storing your data, it's forever gone. Whereas if you upload to a cloud since redundant copies are kept on a variety of different physical machines, if any one of them is lost or inaccessible for some reason, all the other redundant copies still remain. Which also results in the reduced security, since there are multiple machines storing your data. Though that depends on the nature of the particular cloud implementation. For example, if you have 1000k of data, with 100k stored on each of ten different servers using unique encryption methods in ten different countries each with different laws regrading data seizure, anyone attempting to retrieve a full copy of the data would have to go to a great deal more effort to acquire a full copy.

I would say that distributed data storage is appropriate for some purposes and maybe not ideal for others. But yes, like Dutchling says, it's mostly popular because it "sounds cool."

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 12:23:52 am »

That isn't really unique to cloud storage. For example, I can make the same claim if I email something to myself using webmail. The primary implications of cloud storage are that it is theoretically less secure, and it is theoretically more stable. For example, if you email something to your hotmail account, if hotmail goes down you can't access your data. If somebody blows up the building that has the server storing your data, it's forever gone.
Thats... basically cloud storage. I'm pretty sure email servers back up your stuff too.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 03:59:49 am »

I use dropbox for modding all the time. Very, very useful.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 07:39:43 am »

I would say that distributed data storage is appropriate for some purposes and maybe not ideal for others. But yes, like Dutchling says, it's mostly popular because it "sounds cool."
Cloud storage isn't popular because it "sounds cool". It's popular because it's useful. And, in case of Dropbox, it's less "cloud storage" and more "cloud backup", because the files it stores are exactly those you keep on your harddrive, so in the case it goes down your files aren't lost, only your ability to sync them between machines is.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 07:49:05 pm »

Cloud storage isn't popular because it "sounds cool". It's popular because it's useful. And, in case of Dropbox, it's less "cloud storage" and more "cloud backup", because the files it stores are exactly those you keep on your harddrive, so in the case it goes down your files aren't lost, only your ability to sync them between machines is.
Unfortunately thats not how its accounted for in a IT world. customers for what ever reason love cloud system though absolutely hate them. Why? They bought the name without knowing the product :/ People are stupid and are willing to jump on what sounds cool, example: Iphone.
The cloud craze is dying down though but its sticking around for a while.