Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 255930 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #450 on: May 12, 2015, 05:10:58 pm »

Well the entire aim of the campaign missions has been to survive after the crash, regroup, and try to find a way home. So chances are the win condition will be building a vessel capable of getting you somewhere far away.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 12, 2015, 05:36:57 pm »

Win condition is actually building a vessel capable of surviving the trip to and from the colony ship in orbit.
Since the goal in freeplay is to get the colonists to the planet. The vessel you build in orbit will do that.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 12, 2015, 09:07:11 pm »

I would make a mod that spawns NPC towns, because reasons.

They'll probably have special buildings, plus some stone walls and crap.

Uristits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 12, 2015, 09:40:08 pm »

yeah, and more people and buildings to destroy. Or even connect with and trade.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 12, 2015, 11:10:42 pm »

I would love for the game to continue after you get the colonists down to the planet, only now they begin founding settlements and require things such as food, clothing, water, shelter, and power. It would open up new things to begin production of, new resources that would be needed, and you would have to ensure that the settlements stay well-supplied.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 13, 2015, 03:37:46 am »

Passive aggressiveness is a valuable skill too, it seems.

But not as valuable as the irony skill of course... Gotta remember to not dump-stat the irony skill.

The complex chemical reactions of Bob's mod are fun. The developer should think about incorporating more elements into the game like this. I really don't understand the push for these types of games to have an 'end game'. Notch seemed obsessed for adding an 'end game' to Minecraft as well... The amount of people that pick up Minecraft because they think it's a great RPG and look forward to beating the Ender dragon have to be in the low single digit percentages...

People seem to mostly play these type of games to create and build for the sake of creation and building. Much like why people play city builders.

Can anyone imagine what Simcity 3000 would have been like if the game was like BUILD 2000 INDUSTRY SO THAT YOU CAN PRODUCE A DEATH LASER AND TAKE OVER THE SIM-A-VERSE! For every game of Simcity? How boringly linear...

I disagree with you. I dont thing they need to add more things like new ors and similar, as the game has enough of it, and mods will fill the gaps for people that want more. But the game need to have more than just building things, as it makes it more interesting.

They need to flash out the combat mechanic more, aliens, and end game. End game is very important, because without it the game is worse. And as it is option in this game you can still play all you want without ever finishing it, but for people that want more like me, only sand box is boring.

I respect that that's your opinion but I would implore you to think of massively successful games such as Cities Skyline, Simcity, The Sims, Banished, DWARF FORTRESS etc that have no 'end game' and are still held up as shining examples of excellent games.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 13, 2015, 07:16:50 am »

Passive aggressiveness is a valuable skill too, it seems.

But not as valuable as the irony skill of course... Gotta remember to not dump-stat the irony skill.

The complex chemical reactions of Bob's mod are fun. The developer should think about incorporating more elements into the game like this. I really don't understand the push for these types of games to have an 'end game'. Notch seemed obsessed for adding an 'end game' to Minecraft as well... The amount of people that pick up Minecraft because they think it's a great RPG and look forward to beating the Ender dragon have to be in the low single digit percentages...

People seem to mostly play these type of games to create and build for the sake of creation and building. Much like why people play city builders.

Can anyone imagine what Simcity 3000 would have been like if the game was like BUILD 2000 INDUSTRY SO THAT YOU CAN PRODUCE A DEATH LASER AND TAKE OVER THE SIM-A-VERSE! For every game of Simcity? How boringly linear...

I disagree with you. I dont thing they need to add more things like new ors and similar, as the game has enough of it, and mods will fill the gaps for people that want more. But the game need to have more than just building things, as it makes it more interesting.

They need to flash out the combat mechanic more, aliens, and end game. End game is very important, because without it the game is worse. And as it is option in this game you can still play all you want without ever finishing it, but for people that want more like me, only sand box is boring.

I respect that that's your opinion but I would implore you to think of massively successful games such as Cities Skyline, Simcity, The Sims, Banished, DWARF FORTRESS etc that have no 'end game' and are still held up as shining examples of excellent games.

And success doesn't depend from game not having endgame in those game, but from other things that are much more important than does the game only have sandbox or not. End game will almost always improve this type of games, as they do not remove in 90% time you sand box experience. So making list of games that have only sandbox doesnt prove and give any example why they are popular.
Make love not war

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 13, 2015, 07:37:16 am »

The endgame is really important for me. If I know that I will be able to launch a space rocket eventually, I'm more likely to go through the starting phase of the game where I have pickage and I need to manually get few pieces of wood or metals.

Also the possibility to finish the game helps me to end the game when I finish everything, and it gives me some feeling of competition. I feel that this is better than just playing until I get bored. This is the problem I always had with games like simcity, ttd and similar.

TL;DR Big part of me is achiever and I want the game to satisfy my needs :)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 13, 2015, 07:39:47 am »

It's the other way around for me. An endgame in a game like Factorio is something to actively avoid.

I don't mind it existing (assuming I can indeed avoid it), it's just something that will never come up for me in my games.

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 13, 2015, 08:58:33 am »

But you will have the option to continue when you finish the game.

I also had this idea, that once you launch the first rocket, you can launch more and more rockets and the game keeps track about the count.

Something like future technology in civilisation.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 13, 2015, 09:27:32 am »

Which would mean there is no endgame again :)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #461 on: May 13, 2015, 09:43:47 am »

Endgame != Game Over screen
It's more of a culminating achievement that defines completing the intended content.
"Here's your lasting achievement. You can stick around if you want, but you're already going to be remembered," basically.

Spoiler: Off Topic (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:47:33 am by n9103 »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 13, 2015, 05:03:43 pm »

Ronin, can you please cut it out? You're being a bit needlessly hostile.

But yeah, the end game just really needs to be a climax type thing + "I did it!" moment; a goal to reach towards during the whole game, and to be happy about after finishing. It doesn't need to be the end.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 13, 2015, 05:35:19 pm »

That's the games end not its endgame.

There is:
Earlygame (setting up your first assemblers smelters ETC.)
Midgame (Setting up beaker production and defenses against the aliens.)
Lategame/Endgame (Rolling over the enemy while everything youn eed to end the game is researched and ready)

Also call me weird but... i think a Sonic the Hedgehog mod would work perfectly with this games premise.
building giant factory fortresses and defending them from cute animal people would be a blast.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 13, 2015, 05:57:07 pm »

Not really.
Really, endgame is relative. The point is, is that there should be a goal to work towards, and to feel proud about when finished. This goal does not have to specifically end the game, either.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 76