Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 255927 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #660 on: April 19, 2016, 09:52:15 am »

I want a map like that...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 19, 2016, 10:02:21 am »

I might like it except I'd make it far too space-inefficient and run out of building space really quickly :v

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 19, 2016, 10:06:48 am »

I might like it except I'd make it far too space-inefficient and run out of building space really quickly :v
Robots! You could tear everything down and build it more space-efficiently later.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 19, 2016, 10:16:22 am »

I want a map like that...
I can drop a save on you if you really want it. I made one right at the beginning seconds after it generated, so I could scout it out and see if it actually connects to land and not another little island. It's only got RSO and RailTanker as active mods.

It's got just two little pathways to mainland. One that I fit a railway through, is three tiles wide. There's one squiggly path across the little islets to the east of it that's one tile wide. Getting any sort of decent throughput there is going to be quite a task.

edit: I have just now realized two things. One, the one-wide squiggly path I referred to, does not lead to mainland, but rather to the large "peninsular peninsula" to the east. Two, it turns out that, with some very creative curve-track-laying, it is actually possible to fit a railway into that squiggly path. This is going to be even more interesting...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:26:41 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 19, 2016, 11:58:31 am »

Definitely snatching that saved game for later. Thanks!

About the space, I don't really care about running out, at that point I'll just start building outward but it's nice to have a whole island to yourself :)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 19, 2016, 03:56:58 pm »

I've started thinking of Factorio setups in my idle time. I suppose that's not a good sign.

I also suppose using train cargo wagons as a key component of a multi-lane sorting/splitting mechanism is not exactly a new idea.

I.e. with each inserter being able to move 3 items container to container, a single wagon has enough spaces (sitting horizontal) to have 4 fast inserters on input, and 12 smart inserters on output, effectively filling up 6 output lanes. You also need 12 fast inserters on input to what the 4 fast inserters are taking from, which... can be two more cargo wagons, sitting perpendicular to the first one. Side-by-side they have just enough neighboring tiles to fit 12 inserters (they are 5 tall and 4 wide together, with one 4 side taken up by output, and one tile on the bottom will have to have the belt being used by one of the outputs on the horizontal wagon).

I have no idea how useful this could actually be, but hey. Maybe for offloading actual mixed-load trains. :P

Some also use them as big filterable chests in compact factories. You can put everything you need and even intermediate products and the filter will reserve space so it can't just fill with one thing and jam.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 20, 2016, 01:39:09 am »

they also work well to accumulate from belts and move stuff using the insterter bonus

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #667 on: April 20, 2016, 03:30:55 am »

I've started thinking of Factorio setups in my idle time. I suppose that's not a good sign.

I also suppose using train cargo wagons as a key component of a multi-lane sorting/splitting mechanism is not exactly a new idea.

I.e. with each inserter being able to move 3 items container to container, a single wagon has enough spaces (sitting horizontal) to have 4 fast inserters on input, and 12 smart inserters on output, effectively filling up 6 output lanes. You also need 12 fast inserters on input to what the 4 fast inserters are taking from, which... can be two more cargo wagons, sitting perpendicular to the first one. Side-by-side they have just enough neighboring tiles to fit 12 inserters (they are 5 tall and 4 wide together, with one 4 side taken up by output, and one tile on the bottom will have to have the belt being used by one of the outputs on the horizontal wagon).

I have no idea how useful this could actually be, but hey. Maybe for offloading actual mixed-load trains. :P

Some also use them as big filterable chests in compact factories. You can put everything you need and even intermediate products and the filter will reserve space so it can't just fill with one thing and jam.

How do you make sure the train isn't fully emptied? what is this "filter" thing?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 20, 2016, 04:09:32 am »

How do you make sure the train isn't fully emptied? what is this "filter" thing?
In train wagons and I think some other containers, you can middle-click a slot to make sure that slot is only ever filled with a particular kind of item. If there is an item in the slot when you middle-click, it will be fixed to that kind of item, otherwise you'll get a selection menu. Ctrl-click to clear.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #669 on: April 20, 2016, 05:00:15 am »

That's pretty cool!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 20, 2016, 04:29:25 pm »

That's pretty cool!
You can also do it in the toolbar, useful to stop it from being cluttered by what you pick up.

Also. I have a fun time ahead of me. Look at this:
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

See the blob of iron on the top left there? That's the only iron I could find on the mainland so far, and I took trips on the car to scout out. Getting there requires going way, way north over the little sea, then south again through lots and lots of alien nests. At least there's coal right there, so no need to shuttle fuel or lay a powerline.

Also, alien attacks on the frontier are getting more intensive. Had to rebuild two destroyed laser turrets. First roboport I make goes there.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 20, 2016, 05:16:35 pm »

Factorio worlds use seeds, don't they? I wonder if theres a way to get the one for that map without needing the whole save.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 20, 2016, 05:27:37 pm »

Unfortunately, I didn't use a preset seed. And I did look in the save files, but it seems that the devs didn't plan for that and it's not listed anywhere I can see.

edit: ...Actually wait, hang on. I didn't see it when I checked last time, but apparently there is a seed included (candid like) in one of the save files, specifically script.dat. Not sure if it will work, but that's what it says it is: 493025113
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:33:10 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 20, 2016, 05:38:37 pm »

If it wasn't included, how would the world generate new terrain? :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 20, 2016, 05:39:09 pm »

You can also get the map exchange string from the load game menu, which is something like the map seed combined with all the generation settings.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 76