Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 255955 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #750 on: May 04, 2016, 08:30:35 am »

Wasn't there one with all of them?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: May 04, 2016, 08:46:56 am »

Wasn't there one with all of them?

Yes, and Aavak was a hidden traitor working for the biters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: May 04, 2016, 08:47:59 am »

Sounds like aavak.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: May 04, 2016, 05:04:53 pm »

One reason I'm excited to see Sean doing some modding is because I've started some work on an ambitious project of my own. :P

So tell me, besides the fact that I haven't added image links or defined the items that these ores produce, is there anything blatantly wrong with this code?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: May 05, 2016, 12:10:39 am »

I can see nothing blatantly wrong. However, Lua is not a language I am intimately familiar with, I'm just getting by with general programming knowledge. The lack of exceedingly opaque syntax helps, as does the lack of need to track semicolons. :P

I can't offer any specific advice on modding resources, though, I haven't done any research into that myself. I know the autoplace uses some kind of gaussian or perlin noise thing for choosing where and how to place resources, but how to manipulate it in a non-random way I have no idea.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: May 05, 2016, 12:24:42 am »

Hmm. Well, I guess I'd have to test to find out if I was doing that right then.

I've got a tiny bit more done, still no images (even placeholders). Not much change to the resource code blocks, just some commas added (Thanks Putnam!), but a code block for the items they give you and a couple recipes. I still don't have anything useful to do with the crystals, but hopefully they don't throw up errors by being in an inventory (besides the image-not-found errors).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Cyan Menace

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #756 on: May 05, 2016, 08:22:02 am »

There's a great deal of already existing modding code that are available for reference on the official forums: https://forums.factorio.com/viewforum.php?f=10
The Factorio wiki also has documentation on moddable aspects: https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?title=Modding (particularly useful will be the Official API documentation)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: May 05, 2016, 04:44:33 pm »

Ooh. Thanks for the first link. I was already using the second, which is why I have any information on the Peaks section at all, as compared to nothing which is what I would have had.
Definitely will be looking over the sections in your first link, though. :D Thanks
The Cyan Menace

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: May 05, 2016, 05:39:10 pm »

since 0.12 there is also http://lua-api.factorio.com/ which is updated on every release. It doesn't replace the wiki, but is complimentary

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: May 05, 2016, 07:04:49 pm »

Found that too, from the wiki. :P
Fingers crossed, I've got some placeholder graphics and filled in the graphics parts of the codeblocks and am trying to find my savefiles to back up just in case. :)
It's time to find out if I've horribly ruined everything with the "result = {MULTIPLE RESULTS}" things or if this actually works!
The Cyan Menace

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: May 05, 2016, 10:00:41 pm »

Ooh, hang on, i remember this one. If you're having results with probabilities (and multiple results are fine, see oil processing), in order for probabilities to matter you can't set "amount". You need "amount_min" and "amount_max", flat amount overrides everything.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: May 06, 2016, 03:18:09 pm »

Further experimentation with modding:

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: May 06, 2016, 03:24:18 pm »

You dirty cheater. Not dirty enough because you're using less power.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: May 06, 2016, 03:44:27 pm »

Hehe.

I'm currently trying to think of good ways to let the player see if the assembly line input is clogged with items that don't match the recipe inputs, so they can unclog it by running up and collecting them. I'll pretty definitely going to have to make a custom sprite and animation set for these.

Right now the plan is to have these "assembly line" buildings work as ultra-fast, inline assemblers. Still thinking about how to prevent them from being loaded via inserters from the outside, and whether it's a limitation worth pursuing. They'll be available for research around the same time as Assembly Machine 3's, starting with the basic version that only processes one-ingredient recipes. Then a faster version able to use two-ingredient recipes, and an even faster one using three-ingredient recipes, capping at that because I can only fit three inputs on the side of a 3x3 building. Each input will need to take one specific item (kinda like the chemical plant), but they will take those items basically as fast as the conveyor belts can carry them.

So it's all sort of notionally balanced. :P The point being optimization and speedup of some trivial construction processes (gears, cable, circuits, inserters, belts, etc) late in the game when you might really not want to deal with the limited throughput of assembling machines for those high-demand items.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: May 07, 2016, 03:26:16 am »

Automatic smart inserter filter at the input to show what input is expected:

Custom graphics and works in all directions now:

They now also can not be loaded by inserters. Well, they can if you really really want to, but it's a very limited possibility. The way it works is that I found that inserters will not want to work at all, if their target destination is another inserter that has no free inventory. So what I did is extended the collision box of the hidden loading inserter to 3x1 covering the input side, and there are now two output inserters (filling both sides of a conveyor belt if there is enough production speed) that both have 1x2 collision boxes covering the space along the sides. A fast inserter would have only one spot where it could put things into the building, and that spot would be blocking the output line, defeating most of the purpose. You could still have a total of four long-handed inserters loading or unloading things from the two unoccupied tiles in the building's collision box that are required for the inserters actually operating in the building, but there is rarely a big benefit from doing that.

Still a lot of fancy scripting to do... and then there's the multi-input versions.... T-T

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 76